Do you purchase the Internet package?

I used to buy internet and shared it with my DH.  I wanted to keep in touch with deployed military family members, elderly parents, and fur baby sitters.  It gave me peace of mind and worth every penny.  We now buy internet for both of us and I can text and call my DH instead of using the inconsistent chat feature on the app.  Not really necessary but we are used to instant communication.  

58 minutes ago, cello56 said:

We always buy one package plus we each get two free 24 hours periods because we are Diamond Plus. Internet is a necessity for us as my DH works while on the cruise. You will see him up in the Diamond Lounge most mornings from 6AM - 9AM working on his computer. He knows were all the electrical outlets are in the Viking Crown Lounge! He finds a quiet corner and takes meetings several early mornings. Why does he do this? Because he can then deduct that time from his vacation useage and we can take an extra cruise each year! Plus because he is Type A and likes to.

I would not be happy to 'disconnect' for a week. Not happy at all. I would feel great anxiety if I couldn't be in touch with family, especially since I use wifi calling to call my almost 90 year old mother-in-law twice each day to check in on her.

As for your 14 year old daughter, well that is another story. "Insisting" that you buy her internet? Yeah, I don't think so! She will survive a week without facebook and friends. Having work and family responsibilities is different than wanting to chat with friends. Now if she wants to save up the cost of buying a package herself, that might be an excellent lesson  for her. See if after the cruise she thinks it was a wise investment of her funds.

This is about us.

To cruise 5 full cruises a year 6 - 14 days I started working on some days from cruise from 2016 years. Mostly during Thanksgiving & Christmas. I learned all outlets around most ships out of East coast including VCL. Also bought various power outlets not to worry about it … to work from solarium on Anthem and not to worry at all about problems. 🙂 I even had videoconferencing if needed (good noise canceling headphones) 

Now I have enough PTO, but still enjoy reading, posting etc 

IMG_0348.jpeg

IMG_0349.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes, we got it for our 12-yr-old a few weeks ago and will always get it for her going forward. I understand that's it a different generation and her having internet for friends and games helps her to have a good trip. If we need internet for something, she's in charge of the researching! 

• Like 1

Personally, I always pay for it.  Even on vacation I've got a tech job where I still need to able to connect 24x7.  Being able to do ancillary, non-job-related stuff is a bonus.  Sounds horrible, but I take care of work emails once a day or so, just so I'm not ambushed by a massive backlog when I get back.

So far, I'm very much disliking the Starlink performance on ships that have been converted from o3B.  I'm doing AK in May on Quantum, and at those latitudes it's already sketchy.

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mk-ultra said:

Personally, I always pay for it.  Even on vacation I've got a tech job where I still need to able to connect 24x7.  Being able to do ancillary, non-job-related stuff is a bonus.  Sounds horrible, but I take care of work emails once a day or so, just so I'm not ambushed by a massive backlog when I get back.

So far, I'm very much disliking the Starlink performance on ships that have been converted from o3B.  I'm doing AK in May on Quantum, and at those latitudes it's already sketchy.

I’m not sure problem is a Starlink. We had inconsistent internet on Anthem.. but great on Enchantment. I suspect it’s about number of connections. 

I cruise with my adult daughter, usually once a year for two weeks.  Her husband doesn't want to cruise due to motion sickness.  He stays home and goes to work, so she likes to keep in touch with him every day.  We buy VOOM for one device, and take turns sharing it.  Now that we are both Diamond, we pick two sea days each week for one of us to get the free 24 hours where we can both be on, and that  works very well for us.

Since Royal Caribbean decided my 12-year-olds are "teens" I purchased the internet package to connect so I can keep track of them on the ship.  Now that there isn't a charge for messaging in the RC app, I'm debating canceling it or keeping it so I can use an app that will notify them of messages and I can call them if they don't respond.

11 minutes ago, gluecksbaer said:

Since Royal Caribbean decided my 12-year-olds are "teens" I purchased the internet package to connect so I can keep track of them on the ship.  Now that there isn't a charge for messaging in the RC app, I'm debating canceling it or keeping it so I can use an app that will notify them of messages and I can call them if they don't respond.

I don’t think they are allowed to have the app if under 13.

6 minutes ago, gluecksbaer said:

Yet another reason they should stop classifying 12-year-olds as teenagers onboard.  Thanks for letting me know.

I think I misspoke. They can probably have the app but are restricted from using the in-app chat features. That is the info under the welcome aboard info in the app.

I will NEVER EVER buy the internet on any ship. For the price they charge per day, I get a whole month of access at home that actually works...it is outrageous! Just wait until a port and pick up the free wifi in the terminal...or just follow the crew!

Simon

Rarely use the 2 24-hour periods of free access I get  I can appreciate that there are those that NEED access but just to get access so that you can carry on normal activities as though you were at home? It is a vacation so cut the cord and relax!

18 hours ago, Racer70 said:

How many of you will or have purchased the weekly internet package for your cruise?

Do you purchase it for each member of your family if they are age appropriate?

I’m cruising at the end of June with my 14 yr. old. She’s insisting I get her the internet package so she can stay in touch with friends etc.

Currently I can purchase it for $16.99/day per person. As I recall, you can also purchase internet time on the ship & pay for a block of time if you wish.

What do you do regarding internet/WiFi on the ship?

One package 2 devices.  It's worth it.  I have had (5) 14 yr olds at one point.  It's vacation.  Let her be happy. 😁

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Racer70 said:

How many of you will or have purchased the weekly internet package for your cruise?

Do you purchase it for each member of your family if they are age appropriate?

I’m cruising at the end of June with my 14 yr. old. She’s insisting I get her the internet package so she can stay in touch with friends etc.

Currently I can purchase it for $16.99/day per person. As I recall, you can also purchase internet time on the ship & pay for a block of time if you wish.

What do you do regarding internet/WiFi on the ship?

The internet/soda bundle is cheaper than buying individually. 

We buy one package and share it between 5 devices. 4 phones (2 personal, 2 work), an iPad, and a laptop. We don't need to be "online" all the time, just checking email from time to time. 

13 hours ago, Racer70 said:

“Insisting” was a poor choice of words on my part. I should’ve said my daughter is recommending or suggesting we buy an internet package for use on the ship.

Of course we’ll be enjoying all the ship and our port excursions have to offer & there will be time limits on internet usage.

I too enjoy unplugging from the world while cruising. However, I will need internet for some work purposes & other issues that may arise while on the cruise.

That being said, I just purchased the Voom internet package for the length of the cruise for one device, so we can take turns using internet when needed. 

no need to explain why you need it.  Everyone has different reasons.  Of course she wants to share where she is with her friends online.  Kids are different then they were 20 yrs ago let alone 5 yrs ago and have new ways to entertain themselves.  I think it's great you are taking her with you.  When our kids who are now in their 20s and 30s travelled with us, we always budgeted in the wifi.  Better than roaming the ship bored.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The internet/soda bundle is cheaper than buying individually. 

I thought I saw a package like that earlier but when I couldn't find it I figured I misremembered.  Where would it usually be?  If it's not currently under either beverages or internet does that mean it sold out or something?

36 minutes ago, gluecksbaer said:

I thought I saw a package like that earlier but when I couldn't find it I figured I misremembered.  Where would it usually be?  If it's not currently under either beverages or internet does that mean it sold out or something?

That combo deal isn’t offered all the time. Like everything with RCI, you just have to check daily & see if they’re offering it. I’m sure it has everything to do with RCI’s algorithms & bean counters.

• Like 1