PubLunch

mel8kri

On the Emerald last two weeks. While they don’t have the Pub Lunch in Wheelhouse like the ole times, the last sea day, the Pub Lunch was the lunch menu in the MDR, same as the old one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, mel8kri said:

On the Emerald last two weeks. While they don’t have the Pub Lunch in Wheelhouse like the ole times, the last sea day, the Pub Lunch was the lunch menu in the MDR, same as the old one.

It is a lot easier to do pub lunch in the MDR. More room and no huge line down the corridor to get in 

• Like 2

It does not feel the same.  On the Crown in January, we could not get in either time it was offered.  On the Ruby in Feb. the line wasn't as long.  The breading on the fish was not done.  However, after scraping the breading off the fish was good.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, memoak said:

It is a lot easier to do pub lunch in the MDR. More room and no huge line down the corridor to get in 

Even easier is the setup that a number of ships are using in the buffet. Self-serve and  many people don’t know that it is there. Usually a separate serving station where all of the pub offerings are consolidated into one area. 

4 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Even easier is the setup that a number of ships are using in the buffet. Self-serve and  many people don’t know that it is there. Usually a separate serving station where all of the pub offerings are consolidated into one area. 

Was there any notice in the Patter or anywhere else? We would definitely take advantage of this offering if we knew it was available. We do the Pub Lunch when we can. I've heard of them offering Shrimp and Chips at the Pub Lunch but have yet to see that offered on any of our cruises.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Was there any notice in the Patter or anywhere else? We would definitely take advantage of this offering if we knew it was available. We do the Pub Lunch when we can. I've heard of them offering Shrimp and Chips at the Pub Lunch but have yet to see that offered on any of our cruises.

I don’t recall a notice. We guessed that on the first Sea Day there might be Pub food somewhere on the ship and we had lunch in the buffet, and lo and behold, there it was. (Regal in October). Others have reported the same situation on other ships. 

In November on Discovery, I discovered it on ONE of the buffets (after I had already eaten lunch from another station).  No notice in the platter.

In the staterooms, you can see the menus of each dining room on the TV.  However, you can not see the for the future, on ly the current day.

So check ALL of the Buffet lines Each Day Is My advice!!  And be sure to check the lunch and dinner menus each day too! 

ON the AP, the menus are available ahead of time, but my next trip is 11 days away and they are not yet loading (not yet available).

13 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We have always done the pub lunch too and have seen 'prawns and chips' on the menu several times.  But that was several years ago now, so maybe they stopped offering that.  We still look forward to fish and chips, and mushy peas at sea 🙂

25 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I don't know...it just seems like doing Pub Lunch in the buffet severely hampers the atmosphere of what it's supposed to feel like.

As compared to what? A traditional “chippie” in the UK?  A pub?  Sure. But compared to a white table cloth MDR?  That doesn’t exactly scream “Pub Lunch Atmosphere!”  Besides. In the buffet it is “all you care to eat” without having to choose between numerous options. Ordering off the menu, you have to choose what to order. In the buffet, it is: “I’ll try it all.”  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The month of December we were on the Sapphire.   Pub lunch was a regular occurrence in a dining room and posted in the Patter.   Fish and chips were tasty, steak and kidney pie full of tasty kidney pieces.  Scotch egg could have been better but still good.   Ploughmans lunch a miss.  Shepherds Pie also very good.   Plenty of chips with meals, mushy peas strange.  Could order several mains with no issues.  Desserts not worth having.   Overall a lunch worth having.   We went around 12:45 and had no issues with seating.

Definitely far better in a dining room than a lounge.   Union Jacks, waiters in black aprons, vinegars available.  Overall a very nice experience.

Edited by kiwimum
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Was there any notice in the Patter or anywhere else?

On the March 4 sailing of the Sky, Pub Lunch was in the buffet.  It was in the patter.  Don't know if it was on the app, as we don't use our phones on a cruise.  There was fish & chips, steak & kidney pie, Guiness stew, scotch eggs, mushy peas, and sticky date pudding.  The pudding was nowhere near as good as the bread & butter pudding that they used to have.  That bread pudding was far better than the stuff you usually find in the buffet.  The March 11 sailing didn't offer the Pub Lunch, at least it wasn't listed in the patter.  In November on Emerald Princess, Pub Lunch was offered in the dining room for lunch.

Just off the Emerald Pun Lunch was in the dining room and never filled up. Lunch menus on the

app the tv and by the venue showed options. There

are 2 versions of the

menu one has shrimp and chips also Shepards pie 

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

On the Sky, a few weeks ago, Pub Lunch was listed in the Patter as an option in the buffet.

I had the Pub Lunch on the Crown on the 15 day R/T from LA to Hawaii. It always had a long line. I think it was offered twice, and I didn't feel like waiting in line for the second time around. It was in the MDR to account for the popularity and it was the lunch MDR menu for said sea day.

That being said, while decent, I don't get the popularity of it. If said food were at a restaurant locally in my city, I would likely never go back. But the way some speak up the Pub Lunch here, you'd think they were service Prime cuts of beef, lamb, Kobe beef, etc. I remember Pub Lunch on the Grand per-apocalypse and wasn't that impressed with it either.

Edited by Mike07

35 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

I had the Pub Lunch on the Crown on the 15 day R/T from LA to Hawaii. It always had a long line. I think it was offered twice, and I didn't feel like waiting in line for the second time around. It was in the MDR to account for the popularity and it was the lunch MDR menu for said sea day.

That being said, while decent, I don't get the popularity of it. If said food were at a restaurant locally in my city, I would likely never go back. But the way some speak up the Pub Lunch here, you'd think they were service Prime cuts of beef, lamb, Kobe beef, etc. I remember Pub Lunch on the Grand per-apocalypse and wasn't that impressed with it either.

Same.

We've had the pub lunch once and it's cheap, fried food.  We felt ill afterwards with our bodies trying to process it.  Not sure what the draw is. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

We have always done the pub lunch too and have seen 'prawns and chips' on the menu several times.  But that was several years ago now, so maybe they stopped offering that.  We still look forward to fish and chips, and mushy peas at sea 🙂

I can remember eating in Wheelhouse and there was a Brit next to us who was complaining about the  mushy peas. He was really unimpressed.

17 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

As compared to what? A traditional “chippie” in the UK?  A pub?  Sure. But compared to a white table cloth MDR?  That doesn’t exactly scream “Pub Lunch Atmosphere!”  Besides. In the buffet it is “all you care to eat” without having to choose between numerous options. Ordering off the menu, you have to choose what to order. In the buffet, it is: “I’ll try it all.”  

That is what interests me about having it in the buffet. I could mix and match to suit myself. I wouldn't "try it all" but it would be nice to have the choice. Pub Lunch is the only time I have the option for fish and chips when sailing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Pub Lunch is the only time I have the option for fish and chips when sailing.

For being fried food... and likely cheaper price wise for a cruise line than alternates... I'm surprised they don't do fish and chips more.

Just now, mel8kri said:

is the "pub lunch" better than the standard burger princess normally offers. or is it like fish n chips? can i ask you a different question, also please?   I'm going on the emerald in june. or if anyone else wants to give input.   with the plus package. does it create a long line at the bar on cruises near capacity?  it people buy a package that includes 15 alcoholic drinks a day, a lot of people drink more than if a la carte i would think.      I presume that is why lines created drink packages in the first place

"is the "pub lunch" better than the standard burger princess normally offers. or is it like fish n chips? "

the pub lunch is not one thing.  There are several items available. There is the Fish and Chips, but also a kidney pie, and plowman's lunch of sandwich things, bangers and mash, bread and butter pudding, scotch eggs, to name a few.  I dont remember the full details, but it has its own menu and an assortment of choices, not just one thing like fish and chips. 

Im sure someone else will remember the other items on the menu and the details fo what sides each selection includes.  Maybe someone will even have pictures of the menu!

There are 2 separate menus with I believe 3-4 options each. The most common items are fish and chips, bangers and mash and ploughmans plate. Sometimes there will be shrimp and chips or kidney pie or scotch eggs