Formal Attire

lion1956

58 minutes ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Curious. Who is it exactly that’s vested with the authority to decree who “gets a pass” and who doesn’t?

I typed, "Why? Good point." That's my level of interest. But if these things interest you, look into it. 

I am currently on a cruise (Sky) and cannot say that I have read every single post on this thread. I'll just add a few comments, and my apologies if they have already been covered.

First of all, Princess cruises throughout the world,  with a differing demographic profile depending on the home port.

Trying to categorically state what should or should not be acceptable on, say, a 5 night Caribbean cruise to a 14 night Northern European cruise is futile.

Currently we are on a 14 night cruise out of Southampton.  The majority of passengers on board are Brits. On the three formal nights, the dress code in the MDRs has been followed by 90%+of the male passengers, with suits or tuxedos (especially tuxedos) being prevalent. No shorts anywhere to be seen.

Last night (formal night) waiting to be seated, the gentleman at the front of the queue was wearing smart jeans. There were quite a few comments from those in the queue, as to why he was being allowed in. Some comments about his jeans were said in a loud enough way, that he would obviously have heard them. 

Even on non formal nights the dress standard is higher than I have seen on Princess on formal nights in the Caribbean. 

So, what does this prove - well only that on cruises from Southampton, the dress code is very much followed. But, that does not  mean the dress code will be followed to the same extent elsewhere in the world.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The majority of passengers on board are Brits.

That in itself explains a lot. 

Cruising in that part of the world seems to be a completely different experience. 

People who enjoy that style of cruising should be quite satisfied. 

12 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Cruising in that part of the world seems to be a completely different experience. 

So, in future, when you discuss dress codes, please be geographically specific.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billco said:

Looks like every time this topic comes up the same people paste the same comments. Groundhog Day.

Anytime someone starts a post about dress codes, tipping, or chair hogs some red flag alert message should direct the poster to the already existing multitude of threads 😁

• Like 1

Just now, Paula_MacFan said:

direct the poster to the already existing multitude of threads

The problem with that is that the according to some reports, the dress code is evolving over time.  Directing someone to a 2 year old thread on Formal Attire won't necessarily be reflective of what is happening today.  Although the report from Emerald in March (with photo) and the report above from @wowzz would seem to case some doubt on just how much things have actually changed.  Seems to be more wishful thinking than empirical change.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

The problem with that is that the according to some reports, the dress code is evolving over time.  Directing someone to a 2 year old thread on Formal Attire won't necessarily be reflective of what is happening today.  Although the report from Emerald in March (with photo) and the report above from @wowzz would seem to case some doubt on just how much things have actually changed.  Seems to be more wishful thinking than empirical change.  

My comment was more in response to Billco saying the same people post the same things over & over. A joke, hence the 😁

On 4/10/2023 at 3:35 AM, lion1956 said:

We have not been on a cruise for many years but we are takiing a Emerald Princess cruise in May, my question, is it absolutely required to wear a suit or sportcoat on formal nights?  I ask because we flying internationality and it is such a pain to pack and carry a suit.  What is the percentage of people in your estimate who go to a formal night without wearing a suit?

Princess is has relaxed formal night. Men don't need suits or jackets. When we went in 2019, I wore simple dresses and hubby wore button up shirts and slacks. You'll see everything from ladies in skirts and bosses to formal dresses and men in nice shirts and slacks to suits and ties. Dress like you were going to a nice dinner at home. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, billco said:

Looks like every time this topic comes up the same people paste the same comments. Groundhog Day.

24 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Anytime someone starts a post about dress codes, tipping, or chair hogs some red flag alert message should direct the poster to the already existing multitude of threads 😁

Agree whole heartedly.  They should just be made into Sticky Threads and leave it at that.  There is just very little truth in those who say Princess has very strictly enforced "Formal Night Dress Codes."

I am sure it is very confusing too to new Princess cruisers who are seeking out helpful information about suggested dress codes but end up scrolling though differing personal opinions, experiences and preferences.

They should just name any new Dress Code threads "Troll Feeding Time." 😉

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

That standard information is only for those formalists who like to quote the "standard" old Princess dress codes written many years ago. Of course if you want to accept that as being gospel then you don't have to read any further.  

The OP wanted to know "my question, is it absolutely required to wear a suit or sportcoat on formal nights? "

1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

That standard information is only for those formalists who like to quote the "standard" old Princess dress codes written many years ago. Of course if you want to accept that as being gospel then you don't have to read any further.  

The OP wanted to know "my question, is it absolutely required to wear a suit or sportcoat on formal nights? "

The OP's post concludes with:

"What is the percentage of people in your estimate who go to a formal night without wearing a suit?"

That is a different question entirely, and one that I think has been properly addressed in this thread.  In fact, @wowzz post above actually gives a specific percentage.  

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 5:35 AM, lion1956 said:

We have not been on a cruise for many years but we are takiing a Emerald Princess cruise in May, my question, is it absolutely required to wear a suit or sportcoat on formal nights?  I ask because we flying internationality and it is such a pain to pack and carry a suit.  What is the percentage of people in your estimate who go to a formal night without wearing a suit?

It may or may not matter, but if you are cruising with a significant other, one might consider asking them how they would like approach the dressier nights. My wife really doesn't care of I am in just dress slacks and a long sleeve dress shirt or a suit (she does like the suits though), whereas my low 20's something daughter like to dress every night, so I wear suits more often when cruising with the daughter.

I have a large garment bag type suitcase which does make it easier to pack dressier outfits for both myself and my traveling companion for that trip. We limit our luggage to one checked bag and one carry-on per person, but we always have at least one checked bag per person free so don't have additional costs to worry about.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Podunk85 said:

Princess is has relaxed formal night. Men don't need suits or jackets. When we went in 2019, I wore simple dresses and hubby wore button up shirts and slacks. You'll see everything from ladies in skirts and bosses to formal dresses and men in nice shirts and slacks to suits and ties. Dress like you were going to a nice dinner at home. 

But not on cruises from the UK.

People dress up far more. You do not need to dress up, but you will be in a very small minority.

For the men, a suit and tie is more or less the bare minimum

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But not on cruises from the UK.

People dress up far more. You do not need to dress up, but you will be in a very small minority.

For the men, a suit and tie is more or less the bare minimum

So you're saying that there were no guys without a least a suit jacket?

Hard to believe. 

46 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

So you're saying that there were no guys without a least a suit jacket?

Hard to believe. 

I can believe it.

I am guessing that you may not have done a cruise out of/into the UK - if that is true then you would be in for a big surprise at the standard of dress.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

So, in future, when you discuss dress codes, please be geographically specific.

True because voyages departing other European ports continue to have mostly Americans, followed by Canadians, and then the UK coming in with 3rd largest group. 

Thing is, no matter where we are from or sailing to, we can dress up to the max or not and do what is most comfortable.  I do agree that shorts should not be a necessary thing at dinner (for me I would be too chilly in the DR), but I really don't have a problem if someone cares to wear them (either men or women).  I also don't have a problem with the DR Mgr sending folks back to change if look like they came from the gym or the pool deck (but I have not seen that attire at dinner in my experience).

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

The OP's post concludes with:

"What is the percentage of people in your estimate who go to a formal night without wearing a suit?"

That is a different question entirely, and one that I think has been properly addressed in this thread.  In fact, @wowzz post above actually gives a specific percentage.  

Yes, but that was related strictly to Southampton departures.  The OP is sailing from west coast USA on Hawaiian voyage and that is a completely different situation for the answer to the percentage question.  I couldn't give an answer, having never done a cruise from the west coast of North America, but I would bet my next final payment that the percentage dressed in suit or tux wouldn't get within a parsec of 90%.

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

whereas my low 20's something daughter like to dress every night, so I wear suits more often when cruising with the daughter.

So, so, so true.  Ten years ago, as we were preparing for our Alaska cruise, my then-teenager told me that this was the dress she was going to wear on Formal Night...

IMG_0287a

...so, yeah.  I packed my tuxedo!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1