My Heart Is Breakimg

GranysT

I'm sailing on Liberty on Monday. Right now not sure how much I will be able to enjoy it. I just had to put my beloved dog, Candy down today. She just turned 14 on April 1st. Not that old, really. She developed a heart murmer a couple of years ago. Started out at a 2, with 6 being the worst. In January she was at a 5. Today at vet, she was past 6. Vet said she could feel it even without her stethoscope. I knew something was wrong this past month. My home feels so empty, and a piece of my heart is gone, and will never be whole again. How can I cruise?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I agree with Theo.  By the way, Theo was the name of one of my dogs that I had for many years.  Loved him enough to help him rest.  Right before my last cruise in March, I made the decision to put down my almost 15 year old cat.  It was only two days before we left. It was hard but I didn't want his last days to be waiting for us to come home.  Honestly, the cruise was a great distraction because I wasn't at home. When I returned home, it was time to face it.  I still look for him in his usual spots.  Still...as grateful as I am for the 15 years he was my fur baby, I am also so glad I could help him be out of pain.  Candy will be free and she would want you to be free as well.  I believe she will come back and visit.  Don't let this stop you from enjoying life.  Take it as a message of the opposite.  None of us know how much time we have left in this life.  Go...Travel...Enjoy the ride.  That is what Candy would want. 

Edited by my kids mama
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, my kids mama said:

I agree with Theo.  By the way, Theo was the name of one of my dogs that I had for many years.  Loved him enough to help him rest.  Right before my last cruise in March, I made the decision to put down my almost 15 year old cat.  It was only two days before we left. It was hard but I didn't want his last days to be waiting for us to come home.  Honestly, the cruise was a great distraction because I wasn't at home. When I returned home, it was time to face it.  I still look for him in his usual spots.  Still...as grateful as I am for the 15 years he was my fur baby, I am also so glad I could help him be out of pain.  Candy will be free and she would want you to be free as well.  I believe she will come back and visit.  Don't let this stop you from enjoying life.  Take it as a message of the opposite.  None of us know how much time we have left in this life.  Go...Travel...Enjoy the ride.  That is what Candy would want. 

Thanks so much for your words of comfort.

• Like 2

I happened to have had a family cruise scheduled 2 weeks after my dad unexpectedly died. We all agreed to go anyway. It was helpful. None of had to cook, clean for ourselves and it gave me especially a lot of balcony time to grieve. I did a lot of staring and thinking. The ocean was very comforting and I needed the break. I was glad for this cruise. 

I’m sorry your beloved dog died. They take so much of us with them when they go. 

Edited by spleenstomper
  • Like 6

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I know how hard it is to lose a furry member of your family.  Everyone deals with the grief in their own way, but you might want to consider going on the cruise as a celebration of Candy's life.  Use the time to remember what a blessing she was in your life.  Maybe you can order some of the little rubber ducks that people like to hide around the ship and create a tag to place around their necks with a photo of Candy and a short tribute to her.  

https://eastcoastmommyblog.blogspot.com/2019/05/cruising-ducks.html

• Like 4

I am so sorry for your loss ((((hugs)))).  We had to put our Leo down just a few days before Christmas last year and a trip to Arizona on 12/26.  He was 15 years and 7 months old and failing fast.  We were devastated even though we knew it was coming.  But as much as I believed we wouldn't enjoy the holidays and the trip, we did and it was a nice distraction.  Of course, Leo was top of our minds a lot but we used that time to laugh about the good times and the crazy antics he would do.  Go and take your cruise and use it as a celebration of Candy's life and all of the love you shared!  

• Like 2

Dog lovers reading this will know how sad this feels. Take comfort in knowing that most likely your cruise will help you heal your aching heart. 

I’ll share my anecdote in the hopes that it helps as well. Back when I was away in college, my family had planned a cruise for the end of the semester. The plan was for me to fly to Miami to meet my parents who were also flying in. A few days before the cruise, my dad had hinted how my 13yo dog who’d been my best buddy since I was 7 year old wasn’t doing too well. I was hoping that after the cruise, I’d come home to say goodbye. 

When we all met at the Miami airport at baggage claim, my dad broke the news that they’d had to put my dog down the day before. She was suffering too much and they couldn’t leave her in that condition. Talk about worst timing. I never had a chance to say goodbye. I cried (like sobbing out loud) so hard until we got on the ship the next day. 

But once we were onboard, I calmed down, and while I still had sadness in me, the seas had a calming and nurturing effect. In retrospect, it was the perfect place to be to heal. 

I hope that the pain you’re suffering and the sadness subsides soon, and that your upcoming trip helps you get there. 💕 🐶 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My condolences to you and I agree with the others, being at sea can be cathartic. Go and if you do end up enjoying yourself in spite of this loss know that this is what Candy would want for you, since she only wanted to see you happy as all pets do.

• Like 1

I am so sorry for your loss.  My Pixie cat will turn 15 on 5/1 and I see her slowing down.  I get choked up thinking of losing her.  There is nothing wrong with grieving over the loss of a pet.  Go on your cruise - you can grieve there.  Sitting around at home is probably the worst thing you can do at this time. 

• Like 2

I am so sorry for your loss.  Animals become like a part of our family.  I agree that the cruise will help you keep your mind off of the loss.   We had a Great Dane who lived 12 years we lost when my son was a baby. It was heart-breaking. Two of the last pets I have gotten have been a macaw and a tortoise because they will outlive me unless they get sick. 

10 hours ago, GranysT said:

I'm sailing on Liberty on Monday. Right now not sure how much I will be able to enjoy it. I just had to put my beloved dog, Candy down today. She just turned 14 on April 1st. Not that old, really. She developed a heart murmer a couple of years ago. Started out at a 2, with 6 being the worst. In January she was at a 5. Today at vet, she was past 6. Vet said she could feel it even without her stethoscope. I knew something was wrong this past month. My home feels so empty, and a piece of my heart is gone, and will never be whole again. How can I cruise?

I do know how you feel cruising with your heart broken.

Mid january my mom had a stroke and 5 days later passed away. I fell and broke my wrist and had 2nd time setting it the afternoon before her stroke. It's hard not to feel I maybe needed to have done more with her but I couldn't. The day after my surgery she was in the hospital beyond communication. 

Not a day goes by I dont miss her. We had her funeral on a friday and I had a cruise leaving the next monday I was a no show for. No insurance. I had 3 more paid in full cruises in march. It wasnt the same. I'm used to getting home and calling her I home safely. Talking to her every day.

It's not the same cruising with a broken heart and i have tons of paperwork and Bill's waiting my attention. Some times all you can do is keep putting one foot in front of another.

You lost a pet .. a part of your family. When I lost mine that too broke my heart. I sure sympathise. All you can do is go and enjoy as best you can. 

• Like 4