Extraordinary Savings Sale

Flatbush Flyer

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The term “B2B” on Oceania is useless in understanding O’s idiosyncrasies. 
As I have posted a zillion times, there are three main types of multi-segment O bookings and the importance of understanding that difference can save you (or cost you) $ thousands.

1) O publishes many multi-segment cruises as “Extended Journeys” - most often two consecutive segments totaling up to approx. two months in duration. They have a single booking number and, generally, cannot be disaggregated to qualify for sales that affect one of the multi-segments (or even both single segments). Why? The two segments have already been discounted significantly and O’s “default” rule is “no double dipping.”

2) O publishes some select/longer cruises (most often 3 or more segments totaling more than two months in duration) as “Grand Voyages.” They are treated exactly the same as Extended Journeys regarding booking policies/procedures including a significantly discounted fare. What difference exists is usually additional perks like free laundry et al. 
Years ago, there were quite a few Grand Journeys published. There was even a section in the fat brochures and on the website’s Find a Cruise called Grand Voyages where O then started also listing the shorter Extended Journeys. But then, the Grand Journey arrangements disappeared for quite a number of years. But O never changed the Find a Cruise section title that then only housed the shorter Extended Journeys. That changed this year with the reintroduction of actual long Grand Journeys - three of them starting in December 2023. 
3) Combination (aka Custom) Cruises are UNPUBLISHED multisegment cruises that you assemble as a single itinerary comprising X number of consecutive segments. They get an approx. 5% discount on the combined individual fares (which may not be as much as the Extended Journey and Grand Voyage fare savings). However, Combo/Custom cruises get O Club perks for each of the included segments as well as option for air credit that is per segment. Those extra “perks” may easily add up to more than the savings in the discounted EJ and GV fares.
NO- you can’t make a Custom Cruise out of two EJs. That would violate O’s dislike for “double dipping.” 

Why is understanding the difference important (even to the point of using the right terminology when seeking a Cruise Critic answer about fare savings)?

The perfect example is this Extraordinary Savings Sale. Only one segment of your multisegment cruise on sale? If it’s a Custom Cruise (and there’s cabin availability in your category), YES. If it’s an Extended Journey or a Grand Voyage NO (though, in rare instances, an “elite”  O Club member [Platinum or above] and/or the right TA, who is a top seller of O, may get some added SBC as a consolation).

OOPS! One more very important item. Book Onboard cruises still have their price drop match guarantee (as long as there’s cabin availability in your cabin category) and, if you have a custom cruise booking, that guarantee is the main point you want to make in asking for a sale price adjustment on the segment in question. And don’t buy any argument you get that “you’ll have to rebook and the current prices/perks will negate your sale savings”!

BTW: Always remember that some perks are not combinable (e.g., Book Onboard discount and Ultimate O Life). Make a habit of reading the O T&Cs and Ticket Contract- particularly as regards Promotions.

Complicating this rather simple distinction is the harsh reality that many O regulars, their “lovable” TAs  and even O phone reps (AND some O supervisors) either haven’t “got a clue” or (in the case of some TAs and O staff) don’t want to make an accommodation that costs them lost commissions and/or fare dollars.

In any case, I hope/expect that this post will help a few folks who are getting/believing misinformed answers about their bookings as regards this (and other “sales” still to come). 

@Flatbush Flyer Wow and I do mean wow.  Once again, this post should be at the beginning of the Oceania Cruises Blog on CruiseCritic.com.  Very helpful and educational.  Thank you and others that have addressed this and other issues.

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

That would violate O’s dislike for “double dipping.” 

@Flatbush Flyer Double Dipping is a universal issue that most brands stay away from.  Yet, on occasion, it can happen.  Very rare but it can happen.  I booked my "O" cruise on the Sept 1, 2022 labor day promotion that gave a Four-Category-Upgrade.  I was thrilled.  Then on this current sale, I asked my TA to check.  I was blown away that my fare went down another $900.00 a person.  I had to lose my American Express Platinum perk of $150 per person OBC but netted $750.00 a person. 

My point is, this for me was a double dip.  Again, I did not think it could happen.  I almost did not ask my TA even to look.  This and other streams motivated me.  The moral of the story is it does not cost to ask.  Thank you again.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Excellent (re)post @Flatbush Flyer! I am guessing you have a FAQ doc that you can easily cut and paste since you thankfully answer questions again and again (and again...).

As one who only uses a TA for cruises (only O so far...that TA on QM2 is still in the wings for maybe 2024), one of the many reasons I use a TA is that I am able to access better fare rules than are available on the O website (don't know about via phone-rep). By "better", I mean clear (and in writing which I find easier to understand) regarding what can be combined and what cannot be combined (both O sales/perks and consortium perks). It takes some of the guesswork out, although I still ask about specific combos "just in case".

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Excellent (re)post @Flatbush Flyer! I am guessing you have a FAQ doc that you can easily cut and paste since you thankfully answer questions again and again (and again...).

As one who only uses a TA for cruises (only O so far...that TA on QM2 is still in the wings for maybe 2024), one of the many reasons I use a TA is that I am able to access better fare rules than are available on the O website (don't know about via phone-rep). By "better", I mean clear (and in writing which I find easier to understand) regarding what can be combined and what cannot be combined (both O sales/perks and consortium perks). It takes some of the guesswork out, although I still ask about specific combos "just in case".

I used to save some extensive posts. But, so much has changed lately (and will continue to change) that I’ve been doing my replies fresh with each appropriate question.

FWIW: What would help a lot conversations here would be for folks who have not cruised in recent months (and/or particularly not since pre-Covid) to venture guesses for current issues based on experiences of many years ago.
Providing historical context is fine. But, that needs to become three dimensional with current comparative/contrasting info.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I agree 

Some of us  have very good TA's that are  well informed & up to date with Oceania  & their  sales  confusing  promos

I trust my TA to get the the best deal she can 

Others go for rebates   I want good service  & so far  (15 yrs)   my TA has come through for us

JME

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 10:54 AM, SATaxman said:

There is transfer available. $319 for the 2 of us. Found out yesterday.

I just got off the Riviera 4/23 in Trieste.  After 2 days in Trieste we took the flixbus from the bus station straight to Marco Polo airport for $48 for 2 people with a seat assignment.  Better than the train as it went straight to airport.

there were a lot of complaints about the food quality of this B2b sailing, including my own.  O used to have crab claws almost every night in the buffet and in 23 nites we only saw them maybe 3 times.  Still had lobster though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Psoque said:

I had more conversations with my TA regarding what’s going on with Oceania and all other cruise lines.  Apparently much less people are booking cruises, and many are cancelling the existing reservations in droves, resulting in a bunch of empty cabins on future cruises.  My TA thinks that this is because “the middle class” is truly going broke, which is a known fact.  That does not fully explain why brands like the new Crystal Cruises is also struggling to fill their cabins for their inaugural sailings on their re-deployed cruise ships, but perhaps even those slightly well off retirees are feeling the pinch.

It appears that NCL holdings is taking a different position than the “Doom and Gloom” position your TA is taking.   

From today’s first quarter earnings PR:

”Cumulative booked position for the remainder of 2023 continues to be at record levels and at higher pricing.”

https://d1io3yog0oux5.cloudfront.net/_d069b1cb84725b4996c6bab1efa49678/nclhltd/news/2023-05-01_Norwegian_Cruise_Line_Holdings_Reports_First_545.pdf

Harry Sommer during the conference call:

“Our target consumer remains resilient with a persistent desire for travel and experiences. Our booking window, which is our best forward-looking indicator, remains strong. In fact, we were encouraged to see that even with the banking sector-driven financial market volatility in March, we did not experience any unusual booking or cancellation activity across any of our brands.”

“onboard revenue generation, which is our best real-time indicator of how consumers are feeling financially, is also performing exceptionally well."

• Thanks 1

I certainly don't know the details but I wonder if the following comes into play.

1. Seems like air travel is at a extreme premium;

2.  Vista and sister ship to come, pulling some bookings from older ships (expanding total cabins at sea);

3.  Covid still an issue especially for O's demographic;

4.  World events making some people hesitant to cruise;

And at least for me I do not know exactly how many cabins this sale involved.  Don't forget CC is a vocal but small minority of all cruisers. Most people probably did not know about sale/ that sale could affect what they already booked.

Understanding that basically all cruise lines are having financial issues after Covid down time, I have yet to see any evidence that Oceania is cutting back on anything to save money.  If anything, the fact that Vista is now about here and they are still planning to build another and redo Marina next year and add Starlink indicates to me that these sales may not be indicative of any serious financial issues.

But I have no inside knowledge and could be wrong.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RetiredLifer said:

It appears that NCL holdings is taking a different position than the “Doom and Gloom” position your TA is taking.   

From today’s first quarter earnings PR:

”Cumulative booked position for the remainder of 2023 continues to be at record levels and at higher pricing.”

https://d1io3yog0oux5.cloudfront.net/_d069b1cb84725b4996c6bab1efa49678/nclhltd/news/2023-05-01_Norwegian_Cruise_Line_Holdings_Reports_First_545.pdf

Harry Sommer during the conference call:

“Our target consumer remains resilient with a persistent desire for travel and experiences. Our booking window, which is our best forward-looking indicator, remains strong. In fact, we were encouraged to see that even with the banking sector-driven financial market volatility in March, we did not experience any unusual booking or cancellation activity across any of our brands.”

“onboard revenue generation, which is our best real-time indicator of how consumers are feeling financially, is also performing exceptionally well."

Obviously, the company has to say things like this, especially when there are empty cabins to fill.  If everything said above is absolutely true, why would they and all other cruise lines having these crazy sales events, all at once?

• Like 1

Well our June cruise had dropped due to this sale! I rang up expecting nothing as we are passed final payment, but hey just received an email to offer us $400 on board credit per person😃happy with that! Thanks, for this post. Dianne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@SATaxman Yep, mine is in November 2023 and it is something I have looked forward too for a very long time.  First cruise with best friends along.  I usually would cruise in the NCL Haven, Celebrity Retreat or the MSC Yacht Club.  I look at Oceania for my First Cruise On the Brand as the NCL Haven On Steroids.  It will be nice to be on a cruise ship where when anyone leaves their cabin, everyone is treated the same.  I also love the fact that for those that don't drink, they don't have to pay for drinks.  If I were to be transparent, I also love that my in room Fridge has soft drinks as part of my fare.  Little things for me make a very big different.  

I how we both have a grand time.

What special requests have you made for your refrigerator?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

@SATaxman If you would have asked me some years ago, I would have given you a long list.  Today, not so much.  Diet coke would be it really.  I figure, what my request are could be accommodated by the butler or Room Steward.  

My past experience was if I asked for anything, the crew would bring way to much.  I hate waste.  So today, I just keep it simple.  

16 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

You will enjoy all of it, as we have since no longer sailing Celebrity and recently an awful cruise with Viking star. It was no star. Will be on an O ship is Sept. Can't wait.

@jonthomas Let's commit to doing really good reviews, that are transparent and honest for this board.  I am on the newly refurbished Riviera.  I have nothing to compare it too except other cruises I have been on.  From a Newbie perspective, I will do my review.  Seems like there are a lot of new to Oceania posting which is encouraging to me.  Guest need well balanced and honest reviews to make good business decision.  

Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

2 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

... Diet coke would be it really.  I figure, what my request are could be accommodated by the butler or Room Steward.

On both Riviera/A4 (12/2021) and Sirena/B2 (11/2022) on embarkation day we just pull out all the soda or other items from the mini-fridge we don't want and give it to the steward or attendant, telling them what we do like (diet soda, sparkling water).

What's then funny is they'll quickly see my beer, hard liquor and wine collection that I keep on the shelves where they keep the ice bucket. I love to hunt down interesting alcohol on trips. I'll line them up. In the E. Caribbean last year it was overproof rum and local beers.

5 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

On both Riviera/A4 (12/2021) and Sirena/B2 (11/2022) on embarkation day we just pull out all the soda or other items from the mini-fridge we don't want and give it to the steward or attendant, telling them what we do like (diet soda, sparkling water).

What's then funny is they'll quickly see my beer, hard liquor and wine collection that I keep on the shelves where they keep the ice bucket. I love to hunt down interesting alcohol on trips. I'll line them up. In the E. Caribbean last year it was overproof rum and local beers.

@MEFIowa Now we are talking.  Overproof rum, let me raise my hand.  Fun stuff.  Even more fun is that we are on the same cruise.  Great idea.  Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Overproof rum, let me raise my hand.  Fun stuff....

My rum haul from the 11/2022 Sirena cruise:

- Soca Rum (Dominica), 123 proof;

- Don Q (Puerto Rico), 151 proof, AND

- Sunset (St. Vincents), 169 proof!

I haven't opened them yet.

Did drink the "children's" Brugal (Dominican Republic) which is just 75 proof. Enjoyed it in rum punch over New Year's Eve.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2023 at 8:45 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

olks who have not cruised in recent months (and/or particularly not since pre-Covid) to venture guesses for current issues based on experiences of many years ago.

Very sound suggestion, IMO.

I used to contribute to a particular Tripadvisor forum but, with the passage of time since I had last visited the resort, any information that I had about, say, hotels and restaurants became less relevent and/or reliable. Also, there was another contributor who was very knowledgable about the area who would post regularly, contributing  to most threads. So, I stopped contributing.

• Thanks 1

Before pandemic, diet coke was always available. When we sailed in December, we were only able to get diet coke the first week.  After that, we were told that it wasn't available.  It was only available by request before you sailed.  Crazy?  For our upcoming cruise, we requested diet coke.  Will it be there?  Hope so. Not a fan of diet pepsi.  If there is a type of soft drink that you enjoy, request it before your cruise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Before pandemic, diet coke was always available. When we sailed in December, we were only able to get diet coke the first week.  After that, we were told that it wasn't available.  It was only available by request before you sailed.  Crazy?  For our upcoming cruise, we requested diet coke.  Will it be there?  Hope so. Not a fan of diet pepsi.  If there is a type of soft drink that you enjoy, request it before your cruise.

They still make Diet Coke? Want no-cal? Request Coke Zero.