Galveston options.

malibudez

I think we're flying into Bush (have not bought flights yet), because the prices are less than half of flying into Hobby. There are 6 of us $$$$. Our dilemma is to stay in Houston overnight, and go to Galveston the next day (Sunday), or get a ride to Galveston right away and rent an AirBnB. Any advantages either way? Does Royal have shuttles from Houston?? 1st time out of Galveston, so unsure of EVERYTHING.

Yes royal has shuttles out of Galveston as do many private shuttles like saltwater moms. There is a vet group too dont remember their name.

When I had friends fly in i met them and we all stayed the night in houston. Galveston hotels are older and probably cost 3 times more but you can walk along the ocean. When i see and smell the ocean i relax and my vacation starts. Look at hotels along seawall blvd in Galveston. Either option works. It will cost more to go to Galveston for the night. 

I have done both, but prefer to get down to Galveston the day before.  It is just less stressful to me.  There is a post labeled “ Gulf Coast Departures” under the North American Homeports section that might supply some information for you.  It covers Galveston and New Orleans.  

• Like 1

This is honestly the worst part of cruising out of Galveston. It will easily add $500 to your budget. We just got back from our Allure cruise on Sunday, and we opted to stay on the island for an earlier boarding time (didn't have to worry about traffic or accidents, as IAH is at least 70 minutes away under best circumstances). We took an UberXL from the airport on Saturday when we arrived, to our hotel in Galveston. That was $180 with tip. Then we took a local taxi minivan (we had 4 and a bunch of luggage) from our hotel to the port. That was $40 with tip. When we returned, I was very nervous about being able to get a larger vehicle on the spot, so we ended up booking a private transport from the terminal back to the airport. Than ended up $275 with the base fare of $200 plus mandatory tip, fees and taxes. 

The shuttles are much less expensive - there are two recommended private ones and the Royal one (I believe you have to call them or do on the ship). From reports, it sounds like you need to book early to get your desired time frame. I've also read that it was confusing about where to meet the shuttle, although when we came in, it seemed fairly straightforward to me. 

Taxis are hard to find/get from this terminal, unless you prebooked, I guess. The minivan we took from our Galveston hotel to the port said she was only doing island runs (not airport runs) but she got flagged several times when doing local hotel pickups in the terminal - people who needed a ride to the airport. Lyft only is allowed through April and it can be hard to get one. Again, reports of people booking and then being cancelled on, or having a long wait time (1 hour +). Starting May 1, Uber will be allowed in, so perhaps that will help.

If you want to do a shared shuttle, you can stay near the airport, especially if they have an airport shuttle. Take the shuttle to the hotel, then back to airport in the morning to grab your shared shuttle along with anyone arriving by flight in the am. 

Many people like Saltwater Moms for transportation - they can only be booked on Facebook. There may be some impostors so make sure you see the ones that have the cruise terminal permission and the necessary licensing and insurance. 

The biggest advice I'd give is to get your plans in place as early as you can, so shuttles still have space at the time you want to go. Someone in our roll call was undecided and then ended up with fewer options than preferred. 

• Like 2

My Galveston pre-cruise plan is simple:  I fly to IAH and stay at the airport Marriott.  Grab my luggage, take the elevator down to the subway and get off at the hotel stop.  No need to call a hotel shuttle or wait for it.  I eat at the hotel or can take an Uber someplace for dinner.  I reserve Galveston Express for 8am pickup the next morning.  $32.50 each way for seniors.   I arrive at the port around 9:45 to 10:15.  It suits me and my comfort level for being close enough to the port to make it to the ship.  If the shuttle fell through then I'd have to get a ride service, but I'd have several hours to accomplish it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We prefer spending the night on Galveston Island, a hotel on the pier, go to millers grill, book VIP shuttle or other, hotel will cost you a little bit more, but worth it , booking your shuttle, will exclude the Uber variance

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Galveston has numerous hotels, most on the beach front, and many new. The premier hotels are the Galvez, San Luis and Tremont House. Galveston is a destination and, as with most destinations, costs more. Options include full service, limited service and basic in all price ranges.

FYI The hotel on the pier, Flagship, was badly damaged by Hurricane Ike in 2008 and was torn down.

• Like 1

I would stay in Galveston.  I live in Houston no reason to stay here before a cruise then taxi to Galveston. Get there go out and eat.  Plenty traps on the seawall or Broadway. If you like soul food Alan's kitchen is pretty good his mom cooks on Friday and Sunday, best days. Oysters at Black Pearl are on point.  Gumbo, I like gumbo daddy they were pretty good.  Bit tourist trap but good gumbo and Oysters. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Anton said:

My Galveston pre-cruise plan is simple:  I fly to IAH and stay at the airport Marriott.  Grab my luggage, take the elevator down to the subway and get off at the hotel stop.  No need to call a hotel shuttle or wait for it.  I eat at the hotel or can take an Uber someplace for dinner.  I reserve Galveston Express for 8am pickup the next morning.  $32.50 each way for seniors.   I arrive at the port around 9:45 to 10:15.  It suits me and my comfort level for being close enough to the port to make it to the ship.  If the shuttle fell through then I'd have to get a ride service, but I'd have several hours to accomplish it. 

That's pretty much how we cruised on a Princess cruise a few  years ago.  Exception was we booked the Princess shuttle from the Marriott to the pier.  Worked great.

we have a prima cruise next Feb and wife insists on staying at the Marriott again.  

On 4/14/2023 at 8:20 AM, Texas Tillie said:

No, they don't.  The I stands for Intercontinental!

Yep and it really is either one.  I use Bush, Intercontinental and IAH at any time without rhyme or reason.  Just what ever pops in my head first.  

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 9:49 PM, trey420 said:

I would stay in Galveston.  I live in Houston no reason to stay here before a cruise then taxi to Galveston. Get there go out and eat.  Plenty traps on the seawall or Broadway. If you like soul food Alan's kitchen is pretty good his mom cooks on Friday and Sunday, best days. Oysters at Black Pearl are on point.  Gumbo, I like gumbo daddy they were pretty good.  Bit tourist trap but good gumbo and Oysters. 

One note on the Black Pearl. The food is good, but the portions are HUGE! My wife and I ordered two appetizers and a muffaletta sandwich and it was WAY more than we could eat. and I'm a big eater. 

Edited by theotherchad

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 3:45 PM, neverbeenhere said:

BTW: The folks working at "Bush" call it "International".

(I'm sure there are some the don't)

They call it Intercontinental. For years it was known as the Intercontinental Airport of Houston (IAH) until, well, the rest is history.

• 2 weeks later...

We are a group of 7 and sailing out of Galveston for the first time in December. We are flying in 2 days early because I don't quite trust Southwest and December in the same breath. We have Harbor House booked as we are considering exploring Galveston as part of our vacation.

We have HighRollers by Shugg booked for our transportation. She has been getting rave reviews all over social media.

She is picking us up from Hobby (1 pickup early afternoon and one late evening,) taking us to the Harbor House, picking us up at the Harbor House on cruise day and taking us to the port, picking us up at the port and taking us back to Hobby all for way less than $100 per person..  

Several of the private transportation companies are reporting that several hotels on the island are reporting bed bugs, so do your research.

one transportations list:

1) La Quinta(off Seawall)
2901 63rd St
2) Beach Front Palms -
5914 Seawall
3) Winegate By Wyndham-
1402 Seawall

and another added that the Hampton Inn Galveston has bed bugs.

16 hours ago, cruise_co said:

We are a group of 7 and sailing out of Galveston for the first time in December. We are flying in 2 days early because I don't quite trust Southwest and December in the same breath. We have Harbor House booked as we are considering exploring Galveston as part of our vacation.

We have HighRollers by Shugg booked for our transportation. She has been getting rave reviews all over social media.

She is picking us up from Hobby (1 pickup early afternoon and one late evening,) taking us to the Harbor House, picking us up at the Harbor House on cruise day and taking us to the port, picking us up at the port and taking us back to Hobby all for way less than $100 per person..  

Several of the private transportation companies are reporting that several hotels on the island are reporting bed bugs, so do your research.

one transportations list:

1) La Quinta(off Seawall)
2901 63rd St
2) Beach Front Palms -
5914 Seawall
3) Winegate By Wyndham-
1402 Seawall

and another added that the Hampton Inn Galveston has bed bugs.

Hope all the private transportation companies are cleaning their vehicles extensively ???

According to Wikipedia :::

Infestation is rarely caused by a lack of hygiene.[9] Transfer to new places is usually in the personal items of the human they feed upon.[3] Dwellings can become infested with bed bugs in a variety of ways, such as:

• Bugs and eggs inadvertently brought in from other infested dwellings on a visiting person's clothing or luggage;
  • Infested items (such as furniture especially beds or couches, clothing, or backpacks) brought into a home or business;
  • Proximity of infested dwellings or items, if easy routes are available for travel, e.g. through ducts or false ceilings;
  • Wild animals (such as bats or birds)[26][27] that may also harbour bed bugs or related species such as the bat bug;
  • People visiting an infested area (e.g. dwelling, means of transport, entertainment venue, or lodging) and carrying the bugs to another area on their clothing, luggage, or bodies. Bedbugs are increasingly found in air travel.[28]

Though bed bugs will opportunistically feed on pets, they do not live or travel on the skin of their hosts, and pets are not believed to be a factor in their spread.[29]

Edited by ssb