The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday April 13th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is International Plant Appreciation Day, National Bookmobile Day, and National Peach Cobbler Day

Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'...Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - Pepper Ricotta Primavera
Drink of the Day - Hot Buttered Spiced Rum
Wine of the Day - Stonyridge Waiheke Island Larose 2021
Destination of the Day - Monte Carlo, Monaco

Eurodam

Panama Canal 05:00 - 05:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada Departing for Nawiliwili, Lihue, Kauai Island, Hawaii at 15:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Oranjestad, Aruba 07:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island, Azores Portugal eta 4-15

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Praia da Vitoria, Terceira Island, Azores Portugal eta 4-17

Rotterdam

At Sea destination Plymouth, England eta 16 Apr

Volendam

At Sea destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 4-14 

Zaandam

Panama Canal

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Isle of Portland, Weymouth, Dorset England eta 4-14

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Lautoka, Fiji 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Fukuoka, Japan 12:00 - 23:00

image.thumb.png.e9a360601099b208b2fe0165d558ece7.png

image.thumb.png.41b989472b9cd25a25bdcbde7b772c1e.png

Sandi for Rich

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC!

National Peach Cobbler Day. Yum Yum. My favorite cobbler! Just had a piece last nite a day early. Have you ever wondered how a name for a dessert could be defined as a dessert or someone who repairs shoes. Maybe the peach cobbler is the real “sole food”. 😀 

International Plant Appreciation Day. This is easy for me to celebrate. Believe or not their is a Redneck plant that eats flies and hear it is.

F0B0EF44-0FC3-4BD5-A444-AD91E7D0A8DB.thumb.png.181d309ae1cbb229736e75db81809308.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Thank you for the fleet report and today's daily.

It is cold and wet here.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

We have been to Monaco on a cruise but the ships usually tender into Ville France which is a 15 minutes coach ride to Monaco going east or Nice going west.

Monte Carlo is famous for its formula 1 motor racing and Princess Grace Grace Kelly who married Prince Rainier of Monaco.

Best wishes to all on our care list.

Graham.

• Like 22

Good morning friends!  It was, I believe,  Monday when I said we didn't expect any more rain here until Friday but that could change.  Well now it is Thursday and our forecast is for rain today, starting early.  We are presently at 53F but are supposed to reach 67.  And whoever said it always rains on hair appointment day (Jacqui?) is correct because it's my salon day!  That must be what nudged it forward.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Fleet Report and Daily information.  Sorry you are missing your port today and I do hope the weather there isn't too rough.  Meanwhile, we have International Plant Appreciation Day, National Bookmobile Day and National Peach Cobbler Day to celebrate.  I know many of you can relate to plant appreciation.  We just saw Jacqui's @kazu's begonias yesterday. There are many active gardeners in our group so show us what you've got (or had if it's too early in the season).  I remember bookmobiles from my younger days.  I loved picking out new books, during the school year or during summer months.  Our books came via bookmobile all year round.  And let's not forget peach cobbler day.  Would be better in August during their peak but I'm sure you can find some today for a cobbler or pie.

Mark Twain was a very witty man.  I'm proud to say he was born in my birth state, Missouri.  The meal suggestion today is pepper ricotta primavera and I'll be interested to see what Debbie @dfish has to show us about that recipe.  Next up is an odd choice for spring but whatever - hot buttered spiced rum.  I thought that was for a cold winter's night?  Thanks in advance to Dixie @summer slope for any explanation by her.   I have no idea what type of wine today's selection is so will have to wait for Ann's @cat shepard's report.  

Thank you to Vanessa @JazzyV who has been keeping the Care and Celebration lists for us for the past several months.  We Dailyites and world events have certainly kept her busy!  Prayers for our Care list people and any others who may need them.🙏  I doubt there will ever be a day when no one needs prayers.   Also congratulations to anyone on the Celebration list, and especially those cruising or preparing to soon.🚢  Hope your Captains steer you as far away from troubled waters as they can!🌊

Today's port of the day is Monte Carlo, Monaco.  Past dates we've seen that port have been March 16, 2021 and July 13, 2022.  Below are the links to those dates.  I've been there and have some photos to share (again).

I can't believe I've only been to Monaco once!  It was on the Westerdam in August 2017.  And as usual it was a warm summer day.  My DH was trying to take it very easy during this 21 day cruise because he had been in the ER for a painful issue immediately before our trip.  So I found quite a few ship tours to take in all these beautiful ports since I would be going out alone.  I was anxious to see some of the countryside surrounding these Mediterranean ports.

We had to tender over to shore, but I thought this photo from the ship turned out pretty well considering I had to zoom way in.enhance

The two stops on my tour were Menton and Eze.  We headed towards the French-Italian border on a narrow 2 lane road.  There was a slight delay because of a car accident with a small car lying on its side.  I had a hard time getting any decent pictures because the bus windows were pretty dirty.  But once we got off the bus, it was fine.  There was only one problem tour group member - an 85 year old lady wearing high heels and ripped jeans who kept clinging to all the gentlemen's arms as she begged for help with the cobblestone pathways.  Oh my goodness...

Here is the beach as we got off the bus.enhance

First we had a nice visit in the local market.  Then some of the beautiful buildings and churches in the village.enhance

enhance

enhance

Going back to the bus, the beaches were filling up.  enhance

We headed along the beaches and then a little inland to Eze, a medieval village on a hilltop.  It was amazing!enhance

It was quite a workout walking up and down the narrow passages on the hillside but well worth it.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

A church with quite a view.enhance

And that same church seen from the bus as we left.  enhance

After returning to the ship, DH and I spent the afternoon in the Crow's Nest enjoying the view of Monte Carlo.enhance

Good times!

Hoping everyone here has a safe and pleasant day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

Today’s Care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia and working on getting stronger

Tupper10 recovering from back surgery, improving

Cruising-along and DH recovering from Covid

Lazey1 with colitis flare, improving

JazzyV with knee issues

Luvteaching’s DH in the hospital

Nashville school shooting victims/KY bank shooting victims

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

RMLincoln’s DH’s sensitivity to glaucoma meds

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Summer slope’s friend with a brain injury

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Superoma’s DGC doing well with their education

Cruising-along and DH feeling better

Luvteaching’s DH showing slow improvement

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

2 Days for Sharon in AZ (Volendam 4/15 to 5/17)

2 Days for AV8rix (Volendam 4/15 to 5/6)

2 Days for TiogaCruiser (Volendam 4/15 to 5/2)

2 Days for Dismomx5 (Volendam 4/15 to 5/6)

3 Days for GTVCRUISER (NCL Jewel 4/16 to 4/23)

Cruzn Single (Rotterdam to 4/19), Vict0riann (Rotterdam to 4/19), aliaschief & DWAliaschief (Eurodam to 4/28) Kplady (Grand Princess to 4/28), Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to 4/29), St Pete Cruiser (Noordam to 5/2), Overhead Fred’s Anniversary cruise (Rotterdam to 5/6), USN59-79 (Westerdam to 5/7), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Yesterday I turned off the heat and DH didn’t notice.  Since this is New England I’m sure it will be back on in a few days.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds interesting and I look forward to recipes and pictures from @dfish.

This morning I saw a news report that the airport in Fort Lauderdale is closed due to heavy rain.  They hope it will be open by noon today.

Today the electricians will be here to install new smoke/carbon detectors and put a surge protector on the fuse box.  Either today or tomorrow a crew will arrive to seal the house extension.  No animals were caught overnight.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 25

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Unseasonably warm for us today.  I'll take it.  We should get to 23°C (73°F) this afternoon, normal high for this time of year is 10°C.  These temperatures won't last long, weather forecasters are predicting back to normal temperatures next week.  My arms and back are a little sore this morning from working in the garden yesterday, but it's all good. 

I appreciate plants, some in my garden, some in the house, some in my tummy.  Bookmobiles are important.  I haven't had peach cobbler in ages.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I hope the drink and wine are tasty.

We were in Monaco many years ago on the Eurodam.  We docked, the captain said we were the biggest yacht there.😉

Prayers for many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 25

When I saw the quote from this morning I thought it might be incomplete. I found this reference which attributes it to someone other than Twain

In the earliest citation located by QI the humorous advice was credited to William Allen White who was a prominent newspaper editor based in Emporia, Kansas. Here is the tale as told in 1935 by a columnist in a Seattle, Washington newspaper:[2]

William Allen White’s visit here, en route to the Philippines, recalled the story of the famous Kansas editor and publisher’s meeting several years ago with a group of fledgling newspaper men in Lawrence. Kas. The “cubs” listened eagerly to everything “the Sage of Emporia” had to say and besought him to give them some advice about news writing.

“I never give advice,” said Mr. White, “but there is one thing I wish you would do when you sit down to write news stories, and that is: Never use the word, ‘very.’ It is the weakest word in the English language; doesn’t mean anything. If you feel the urge of ‘very’ coming on, just write the word, ‘damn,’ in the place of ‘very.’ The editor will strike out the word, ‘damn,’ and you will have a good sentence.”

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

Hot Buttered Spiced Rum cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Cruzan® 9 Spiced Rum
2 heaping spoons Batter
Hot Water

Instructions
Fill coffee mug 3/4 full with hot water. Stir in batter until dissolved. Add rum and serve with a stir stick.
Batter Mix: 1 lbs. brown sugar, 1/2 lbs. salted butter (softened), 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, pinch of ground clove, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. In a mixing bowl blend all ingredients together with a hand mixer. Store at room temperature. For a buttered pumpkin batter, simply add pumpkin pie puree to taste (about 1 small can) to batter mix and blend thoroughly.

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 6.36.44 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 10

Good morning everyone.  I can’t believe that it’s going to hit 80F here today!  Plants will love it, I’m sure.  Hats off to them, peach cobbler and the bookmobile.  Funny quote today from someone with a good sense of humor.  I’d give today’s meal suggestion a taste but I’m not a ricotta cheese fan.  I was in today’s port when the world still operated in analog so no pictures, I remember the beautiful harbor with some expensive looking yachts!  Prayers for all on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.

• Like 25

Good morning. We are at the entrance of the Panama Canal. I believe the Pilot boat just arrived and we soon will start our transient. Our third transit and  we will have our fourth next January on the World Cruise. So I don’t feel compelled to run to the bow and jockey for position. Just stepped out on Verandha and we soon will be passing under the bridge.

We had a great prime rib dinner last night and the service was spot on. I asked our waiter is they were understaffed in MDR and he stated there is a shortage of assistant waiters. Would never know that in our late fixed upper dining experience. We have noticed our last few cruises many empty tables at late dining. Like days of old when you can have a lengthy conversation with your waiter.

So it’s time to rise and head for a coffee and a traditional Panama Roll.

Sandi thanks for starting and all you do to keep the Daily rolling.

Bruce

image.jpeg.c43eeebdb58565499815e4037d256eeb.jpegimage.jpeg.fcd962e3821b80a0b4d5b37750684afe.jpegimage.jpeg.d2c15e72b08f0bfdf7affa85dabe3bd7.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 18

Good morning everyone. It’s going to be 86 today. Spring is mixed up with summer.I have a plant I was given for my classroom in 1980. It almost reaches the ceiling now. Less watering seems to do the trick.

I’m off to the cateract surgeon for a check up and maybe to schedule the other eye.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I will celebrate some plants but curse others.  Bookmobiles are vary valuable and while I would love a peach cobbler it won't happen.  I'm a bit surprised that Messiah premiered in spring since it is now largely associated with Advent.  I have not been to Monte Carlo.  I prefer the full version of today's quote.  I'll pass on the meal due to the pepper.  My alternative is Pineapple, Kiwi, Strawberry, Arroz Con Polla, and Triple Berry Sundae as served on MS Zaandam April 13, 2017:

dishes13.jpg

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good morning all,

our driver comes in 30 minutes. We’re due at FLL airport this evening. Not sure what we’re headed into.

More later 

Good luck.   Sure don't like what I see about South Florida.

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Sandi & Rich for bringing us today’s R & D! Right now the low level winds are calm but the upper level winds are moving the clouds up from the South. We had rain last night, but not sure what today will bring. 

Vanessa thank your to keeping up with all of us. Hope tomorrow’s doctor visit resolves your knee issue.  I will happily celebrate Plant Appreciation Day! I really enjoy looking at all my new plants.  My last five plants, except for the ones I am growing myself, arrive today. Just Zumba, plant patrol, Bindi walks and chores will fill my day. 

A6C612CF-2286-466E-B66F-85BB9834E246.jpeg.04ba1c2e22bf021ff3444c136e54a8b3.jpeg

Right on red after stop takes on a new meaning.

4F41479F-AF94-452D-8715-B29E65B73621.jpeg.e45719ef90c50232f48e4ef50c1e563e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Stonyridge Waiheke Island Larose 2021

This New Zealand Red Blend sounds amazing. It is loved by consumers and critics. Sadly the only critics who reviewed this vintage require a membership to see the reviews. But none of the scores were below 95/100. I found a couple of online distributors on other continents that would ship to me with prices starting at $217.41 + shipping. I will have to pass. 

Winemaker notes

This is our flagship wine, and "Raison d'etre". 

Grapes: Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, Merlot, Malbec, Cabernet Franc, Carménère

Waiheke Island

Gentle north-facing slopes of Waiheke Island shelter us from the cool southerly winds, provide perfect climatic conditions for ripening red Bordeaux grape varietals.

The third vintage of Larose 1987 won the trophy for best Bordeaux style blend in New Zealand and was hailed as the greatest red wine ever to be made in New Zealand; vindicating Stephen’s foresight and commitment to making the finest wine in the nation. Thirty-four vintages and counting, Larose is now considered to be the most collectable wine in New Zealand, a reputation that is the envy of the country’s winemaking industry.

An amazing wine of deep colour, flavours saturated with ripe plums, berry fruits and vanilla with layers of soft textured tannins.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 11

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Sandi.

Great collection of days.  Bookmobiles are so important and plant appreciation is every day for me 😉. One of my favourite spring flowers is clematis - enough of them here 😉 (last year - way TOO early for this year)

DF98036B-5999-4B7F-BE3D-8B9B83ECBD4F.thumb.jpeg.5437275444d92789f6d0d80f453425ce.jpeg

I was all set to think that Twain was doing a HAL quote (substitute dam) until @richwmnkindly explained the post.  Thanks Rich 🙂 

We’ve been to Monaco several times and explored a lot of the area with a favourite guide of mine.  We’ve tendered and docked.  The last time we were there the N Amsterdam (tendering) was unable to stay and hold anchor so the Prinsendam (docked) ended up hosting all of the N Amsterdam passengers until the N Amsterdam could return and their passengers be tendered back to them.  Now if you want to talk about a crowded ship?  The smallest in the fleet with passengers from one of the biggest 😬 P’dam did a great job taking care of them of course - pulled out all the stops but I think I can safely say that all of us on the P’dam were glad when the guests returned to the N Amsterdam. 😉 

0356C6F8-9CD5-4BCB-8EBF-1BAB003C8973.jpeg.eaa257609ea8159bf8dda917f8248a4e.jpeg

@TiogaCruiser oh my heavens on heading to FLL.  It’s a mess with the rain.  Hope all goes well for you when you get there 🤞 

@Crazy For Cats I turned my heat down low in the family room too (still goes to freezing at night so…) but the heat has to stay on in the kitchen for the babies (seedlings) as they need a steady temperature until they get a bit bigger and stronger.

12B23A3D-D12C-41C9-BB34-CDBEEC56C416.jpeg.a14b4897ed71d966db4259d2992cc270.jpeg

Not sure what the agenda holds today.  Lots of things on the list - whether I achieve them all or not is another story 😉 

6ADDE747-9745-4646-9F89-856A01797918.jpeg.2510723acae668d916ab42f15654cf01.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

B55B539F-58CC-4668-ABFF-A4DBF4B3FDA0.jpeg.d3a50c5ae4b24302508ea1041ed2f4cc.jpeg

Have a great Thursday everyone !!!!!!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

We’ve been to Monaco several times and explored a lot of the area with a favourite guide of mine.  We’ve tendered and docked.  The last time we were there the N Amsterdam (tendering) was unable to stay and hold anchor so the Prinsendam (docked) ended up hosting all of the N Amsterdam passengers until the N Amsterdam could return and their passengers be tendered back to them.  Now if you want to talk about a crowded ship?  The smallest in the fleet with passengers from one of the biggest 😬 P’dam did a great job taking care of them of course - pulled out all the stops but I think I can safely say that all of us on the P’dam were glad when the guests returned to the N Amsterdam. 😉 

I would have thought that N Amsterdam would have dynamic positioning and not need to use the anchor at all.  I assume the dining room was opened up for some additional seating.

Roy

• Like 13

Good morning everyone. It will be warm again today,up to 83 or so. We had a bookmobile in the summer months that came around the neighborhood. My brother and I preferred to walk to our regular library and take out the maximum number of books each. Summer days spent reading outside were wonderful. I sometimes do it here but will usually end up talking to the neighbors and dogs that come by. It is a busy neighborhood.

We we’re in Monaco twice. The first time DH and I went on the same tour Sandi took. I can still see Eze up on that high slope and enjoyed visiting there. We went to Nice the second time and had coffee at an outdoor market. We walked around the city and sat on the benches by the water just enjoying the day.

I just saw on the news that the airport in Ft Lauderdale is closed due to flooding. Yikes.
Take care everyone and have a wonderful day.

• Like 20

Good morning all. Another glorious day here. My Wednesday ladies group sat outside until 11 pm! We kept teasing our hostess that she should have opened the pool! We made it to 81f yesterday, same for today. Both are probably records. We do go back to more normal 50s and 60s for next week. 

@JazzyVhoping for good news with the ortho visit tomorrow.

what a mess in Fort Lauderdale. The usual worry about flying in to a cruise on the day of is snow at the flight origin not flooded runways at the destination!

• Like 23