Caribbean princess noro

sns1

3 hours ago, Cruisin4beaches said:

Why can't Princess fix this problem?

6 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

I'm sorry, but this is EXACTLY how it spreads!  You were contagious and went to the buffet.  You were contagious and went to the bar.  You were contagious and went back to the buffet.  No matter how thoroughly Princess cleans, YOU were spreading the germs around the ship.

2 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Maybe they caught it in Princess Cay, but the OP was still having diarrhea, but went to the buffet several times and to the bar.  Regardless of where they caught it, they were contagious at that point.

Well, if you believe any of the story then of course he was irresponsible and a leading contributor to any norovirus issues onboard.  Gee...

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Well, if you believe any of the story then of course he was irresponsible and a leading contributor to any norovirus issues onboard.  Gee...

I didn't pick up any sarcasm in their post, although I do hope that was the case.  If they were trying to make a point about passengers being irresponsible, they missed the boat, in my opinion.  

Just now, wrongwaywatson said:

I didn't pick up any sarcasm in their post, although I do hope that was the case.  If they were trying to make a point about passengers being irresponsible, they missed the boat, in my opinion.  

I don't think he was being sarcistic, just imaginative for the sake of thread discussion.

37 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

If they were trying to make a point about passengers being irresponsible, they missed the boat, in my opinion.  

I think it's spot on.  It's the same "It's my vacation, everyone else be damned" entitlement that causes for example chair hogging, smoking in non-smoking areas, saving seats on the theater, etc.

IDK what happens when you call medical with noro symptoms... do they quarantine you?  If so this is exactly the kind of behavior Princess is trying to stop, contagious guests spreading noro all over the ship.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

IDK what happens when you call medical with noro symptoms... do they quarantine you?  If so this is exactly the kind of behavior Princess is trying to stop, contagious guests spreading noro all over the ship.

They would also look at the incubation period. Try and figure out the time and place Noro came aboard. If at Princess Cay, they would consider hygiene of staff, water storage for bivalves, oysters and clams, in the restaurant. These can transmit. Adequate food preparation in the restaurant. 

Reporting illness to the ship's Medical office shows consideration for others.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Cruisin4beaches said:

Just came back from Caribbean Princess this morning. I feel ripped off! After eating on Princess cay and dinner Sunday night went to bed. Woke up at 3:30 am with non stop diarrhea until 630 am. Fell back asleep till 9am and it started again till noon. Took an amodium tablet. At 1:45 got out bed vomit. Had told my bartender I hadn't vomit in almost 20 years. Went back to bed

At 5:30pm. I had to eat something went to the buffet had plain rice ,bread and mashed potatoes. Drank lots of water back to bed. Tues morning had milk and a doughnut back to bed. Got up at noon went to buffet had 2 chicken 🍗 and 2 rolls. Went to Outrigger bar to tell my bartender where I was. He was on break. Tried to drink a rum and coke but not into it. Went to buffet had some mashed potatoes and roast beef kept it down sill diarrhea. Back to bed. Finally Wednesday morning I felt about 90 percent better. But cruise now half over.

Why can't Princess fix this problem? They're the only cruises line has this happening so often.

I work in the food business and wash my hands constantly. I've been on over 100 cruises and have never spent a day in bed until now.

Other guest I spoke to told me they also got diarrhea from the food on Princess cay.

I will now be very careful what I eat when I sail Princess as don't think the crew handles the food properly.

So basically you walked around many areas of the ship while contagious, instead of reporting the symptoms and staying in your cabin.  and people wonder why it is difficult to contain as passengers blame the crew while doing their best to spread it around.

Keep in mind that lots of factors can  result in a ship being more prone, even if practices are exactly the same as other ships. Longer cruise more prone that shorter. the embarkation port, the ports of call, etc. are just some examples that might make a given ship more prone at a given point in time.

On 4/15/2023 at 6:51 AM, SargassoPirate said:

I have traveled worldwide, including third world countries, for over 30 years on planes, trains, buses, taxis, and cruise ships.

Noro is spread by the fecal-oral route.

I have never had noro. Why?  Because I wash/sanitize my hands.

It's easy to tell those who don't.  They get noro.

Or they eat food handled by someone who hasn't washed their hands...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, pathi said:

1 thing not mentioned in this thread, is the high number of kids due to spring break. I know if I was not standing by the sink mine would skip the hand wash a lot until they got older. 

Hmmm ... good point. Three stars for being a good parent.

• Like 1

Norovirus has been onboard the Caribbean Princess since January of this year.  The problem has yet to be eradicated.

See thread below.  Post #9 states that said thread was about the Caribbean Princess.

2 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Norovirus has been onboard the Caribbean Princess since January of this year.  The problem has yet to be eradicated.

See thread below.  Post #9 states that said thread was about the Caribbean Princess.

once we are out of peak noro season in North America it will be gone until the of peak season next fall. Late April early May is normally the end of season.

10 minutes ago, ldtr said:

once we are out of peak noro season in North America it will be gone until the of peak season next fall. Late April early May is normally the end of season.

I oblivously don't understand - what causes there to be a 'season' for NORO?

• Like 1

For all the hand washing and sanitizing people, if you touch anything after you wash your hands like the back of your chair as you are seated, table top, the menu, the silverware, your water glass, your plate to move it, contaminated food or service ware, etc. you are potentially getting the virus.  It is great that many do not get it, but it may be luck more than anything>>> 

Use all the mitigation that you can, but don't be a judger.  If a port or ship has the virus then it takes some time to die down.  Same as a school or senior center.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

I oblivously don't understand - what causes there to be a 'season' for NORO?

Would have to look at the literature as to cause., but Noro clearly is seasonal, peaks in the Winter season in both hemispheres. One of the reasons that ships that some of the first ships to have problems in NA are those doing their relocation cruises from SA and Australia.

image.png.65c90f598dd5420bb5f06c27cef5d953.png

Edited by ldtr

11 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Would have to look at the literature as to cause., but Noro clearly is seasonal, peaks in the Winter season in both hemispheres. One of the reasons that ships that some of the first ships to have problems in NA are those doing their relocation cruises from SA and Australia.

image.png.65c90f598dd5420bb5f06c27cef5d953.png

I suppose this sample includes nursing homes, hospitals and other communal living situations. It would be nice to see the data for only cruise ships.

31 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

I suppose this sample includes nursing homes, hospitals and other communal living situations. It would be nice to see the data for only cruise ships.

There is a list of outbreaks on cruise ships that meet the threshold of 3%. But those, while they pretty much all fall in the peak period, are a pretty low number. About 10 a year.

2 in 2018 were on June

1 in 2019 in May.

Most in peak period.

Edited by ldtr

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

There is a list of outbreaks on cruise ships that meet the threshold of 3%. But those, while they pretty much all fall in the peak period, are a pretty low number. About 10 a year.

2 in 2018 were on June

1 in 2019 in May.

Most in peak period.

Those only account for ship's that dock in a US port.  If they are outside of the US, it doesn't need to be reported to CDC.

58 minutes ago, Coral said:

Those only account for ship's that dock in a US port.  If they are outside of the US, it doesn't need to be reported to CDC.

Sure but in this case we were talking about North America and the NA season.  The peak season would be flipped for Australia and the southern Hemisphere.  Their peak for noro, as well as cruise ship outbreaks in there waters would be similar around their winter season.

One can also get data in the EU they also track noro on cruise ships with a program very similar to the CDC's

Protocols are still in place as of today so anyone boarding Saturday April 22

-Double check your boarding time, may be delayed

-Laundry is still closed (self wash facilities) 

-MDR is a better option for breakfast and dinner due to having to be served which is creating long lines in the buffet

It has still been a great week for us. 

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

Protocols are still in place as of today so anyone boarding Saturday April 22

-Double check your boarding time, may be delayed

-Laundry is still closed (self wash facilities) 

-MDR is a better option for breakfast and dinner due to having to be served which is creating long lines in the buffet

It has still been a great week for us. 

I already have the email stating boarding starts at 1pm.

• Like 1

Norovirus as well as Influenza and the "Common Cold" are a fact of life on cruise ships.  The newest addition is Covid.

In respect to Noro, needless to say we always wash hands before we enter the dining area.  We also carry hand sanitizer with us.  In addition, we try to eat, as much as possible, in the dining room and avoid the buffets.  When we are in a buffet and we see an individual touching the food with their hands we immediately report it to the crew, and to their credit, they immediately dispose of the food tray.