Overpaid and RCCL says tough luck, you paid too soon.

bentl1

2 hours ago, bentl1 said:

I don't expect anything other than paying what is fair. If you've never sailed with RCCL before and get a substantially better deal just because we're loyal to RCCL makes no sense. 

Sometimes last minute bookings are cheaper than booking 90+ days out.   Sometimes last minute bookings pay way more than people that booked 90+ days out.   

It all depends on the ship and since you are saying the ship is not full that is probably why they reduced the price in hopes to fill it up before it sails.     

Expecting them to reduce your fare and everyone else that paid prior to the reduction in cruise fare is Not going to happen.    You are wasting your time trying to get them to change their rules for you.

Reprice of a cruise fare with Royal can only be done prior to final payment.   Rules are rules.   Noone here is attacking you we are just not sure why you think you are entitled to a reprice within weeks of your cruise when no one else include Pinnacles are able to get one.    This is stated on their website.   

You were happy with the price when you booked so hopefully you can relax and enjoy your cruise.    

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 5

There are many companies that do not offer refunds. For example hotels, rent a cars, and airline tickets. Some may offer a credit if prices go down but most do not. It is  a risk we all take.

You mention stores like walmart and home depot but you leave out a very important item. Most of those have a time limit. I think places like Best Buy and Walmart say price drops within say 14 days for electronics or 30 days for other general merchandise are eligible. I HIGHLY DOUBT you can go back to walmart or Home Depot say a year later and say hey this t shirt or this screw driver is cheaper I want a refund.  I think it is printed at the bottom of every receipt which is their policy.

Royal offered for sale a product with terms and conditions attached. You thought it was an acceptable price and purchased said product. Now the company is offering a sale to move merchandise (in the case cabins). 

I can understand why you would want say 1000 dollars back as it is a lot of money but I would wager you bought this cruise a long time ago and even if you bought it at Walmart or Home Depot ( I know the do not sell cruises just using it as example) you would be outside their return police just like Royal has no price changes after final payment. 

Companies change their rules all the time for example during COVID airlines and hotels were very generous with cancellation policies but now that is not the case. Just because a cruise line did it in the past does not mean things do not change.  

Edited by md80fan
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, bentl1 said:

This is our 39th year of sailing with RCCL. In 39 years we've NEVER had an upgrade even once. If fact, we've had no consideration ever, for the years of loyalty. When RCCL finally went "computerized" we never got credit for four sailings we took in the Eighty's. Even after providing pictures of us on their ships, they only gave us credit for two out of six sailings. So, I gave up on that years ago. Now, another big slap in the face against us, on what may be our last cruise with them, we paid almost $1000 more than the current pricing for the exact same cabin ... the ship is no where near capacity for the sailing in three weeks. Literally, I've spent hours on the phone with RCCL and spoken to countless people about getting fair compensation. I've asked for one of three things. #1 refund the overpayment or #2 upgrade the cabin or #3 give us the liquor package and internet (which is actually less than what we overpaid). Without exception, every single person very, very emphatically told me I'm wasting my time ... RCCL will do nothing. I've even spoken directly to multiple regional sales managers and sent emails sharing the issue. We booked directly with RCCL while on another ship. I'm at a loss of what to do next ... trying to reach anyone at the Miami headquarters is pointless as they won't tell you who to talk to, and even if you did, they won't connect you. Has this happened to you before? We feel cheated and unappreciated ... ideas???

Booking early is not always the best price.

I understand the frustration of seeing a price drop after final payment. For this reason, I never check prices after I’ve paid in full. OP, my suggestion is move on from RCL. If you feel they don’t value you as a customer, there are so many other lines to choose from.  If Princess honors price drops after final payment, why not go with them? I really don’t understand the brand loyalty at all (my dad is the same way…only with Princess). I tend to go where I’m going to get the biggest bang for my buck and have little interest in chasing loyalty points/perks. I really am sorry you didn’t get the best rate possible. The good news is you’re going on a cruise in three weeks!  Don’t let this sour your experience. Have an awesome time!

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Agree.  How about some sympathy for the OP, who sees a lower price and feels cheated?  Sure, the OP signed on for $$$$, but I'd feel cheated too, if I saw the price is now $$.  Price-matching is a common thing across many businesses, and ALWAYS those price-matches go to the people who pay attention /bother to ask for them.  

In the spirit of trying to be helpful (in a situation where clearly nothing's going to change), consider these as rules for the future: 

- Book your cruise and check your price occasionally in case it goes down. 

- Once you make your final payment, quit checking ... since you're not getting a drop anyway.  

I don’t have sympathy for someone who complains about an issue that is clearly spelled out in the cruise contract. If the OP isn’t happy with RCI they should move on to another cruise line(s). Whining about something that is black and white is futile. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bentl1 said:

Just for the record, this is common for lines to refund the difference regardless of date of payment. I've had it happen before ... you're not being treated special by only getting what you overpaid returned. It's just good business sense ... 

But you didn't overpay, you paid the price you agreed to pay.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The title of this thread is very misleading--the OP did not overpay, and did not pay too soon--he/she is just upset because the price dropped after final payment, and RC will not provide any kind of compensation. Lots of things go on sale eventually--but if you want to be first with something you usually have to pay the highest price asked!

I have often booked last minute cruises at great prices--but sometimes you get lousy cabin locations. Booking in advance and agreeing to pay the price is the decision most travelers make.  Getting a reduction, or an upgrade, or OBC later is a BONUS, never a guarantee.  Some cruises are selling out, so cruise lines really do not have to worry about trying to make one customer happier. If you shop around for a cheap cruise, you can probably find one, but it might not have the exact itinerary you like or be convenient to your schedule.

If you make your vacations all about the money then you will be very unhappy.  

By the way, I just paid for my European flights today for my Summer cruise--talk about mega-price increases! Husband still remembers when he could fly to Europe for about $100.00 each way (back in the 1970's.). 

Hopefully you will have a great time anyway.  

• Like 2

I sail on many different cruise lines and when I book them, I am happy with the price I paid.  I have gotten some price reductions before final payment and also refused the new offer.  You have to remember when you ask for a price reduction, the perks you get are the ones available now.  Your price may have dropped $500 but you lost a $$ OBC, free specialty dinner.  So when you are checking prices remember to consider the cost of what you are losing and subtract that from the price reduction.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

If your original booking price drops after final payment your only option is to try to upgrade to a higher category cabin if available.  If you booked a balcony you may want to see if you can upgrade into a junior suite of equal or higher value than you paid. Of if you booked an Oceanview you may want to see if you can upgrade into a balcony that is equal price or higher than what you paid. You will have to pay the additional price difference for anything that prices out over what you originally paid.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 5

I must be missing something (or have missed something in the past).  We started cruising in 2013.  So only 10 years ago, MUCH less than the 39 years OP has cruised with Royal.  I remember learning back then that after final payment date (NOT the date you paid in full) if the price drops, your ONLY option is to get an upgrade.  There was not an option for a refund OR OBC.  We took advantage of that in 2013 and upgraded from a D8 to a D1 on Oasis.  

Now, can someone explain how I've known about this rule for 10 years, and the OP apparently never knew about it and is upset about it after cruising with Royal for 39 years?  

There's been some reference in the thread about this being a "recent change", but if this was the rule we booked under a decade ago, what change was made "recently"? 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

There's been some reference in the thread about this being a "recent change", but if this was the rule we booked under a decade ago, what change was made "recently"? 

This has always been the rule as you point out.  After Covid, apparently there was a bit more flexibility as Royal was trying to fill ships.  But that flexibility is now over and they have gone back to the old rule.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I must be missing something (or have missed something in the past).  We started cruising in 2013.  So only 10 years ago, MUCH less than the 39 years OP has cruised with Royal.  I remember learning back then that after final payment date (NOT the date you paid in full) if the price drops, your ONLY option is to get an upgrade.  There was not an option for a refund OR OBC.  We took advantage of that in 2013 and upgraded from a D8 to a D1 on Oasis.  

Now, can someone explain how I've known about this rule for 10 years, and the OP apparently never knew about it and is upset about it after cruising with Royal for 39 years?  

In the recent past, during covid times, they were offering OBC to passengers if a price dropped after final payment.   

That ended sometime last year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

In the recent past, during covid times, they were offering OBC to passengers if a price dropped after final payment.   

That ended sometime last year.

So for a very short time, especially relative to the 39 years of experience the OP has, you could benefit from a price drop.  Sort of like, for a very short time, you could go on cruises EXTREMELY cheap (compared to "normal").

• Like 3

13 hours ago, bentl1 said:

I know Princess will refund the diff ... we've sailed with them for years and it's happened before. 

That may not be the case anymore. Just a few days ago, there was a thread on the Princess board with a similar complaint to yours. They’re sailing in a few weeks and booked on a standard balcony. Now, not only are balcony prices less than half what they paid, but mini suites are cheaper as well. Princess refuses to refund, credit, or upgrade, citing their terms and conditions and also that these prices are for last minute, new bookings only. 

So it seems that your situation with Royal is becoming more and more the norm across the industry as cruise lines reinforce their policies. I know it sucks, but those are the rules.  

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, loman said:

My  September cruise i booked in January is more than double what i paid, for

a balcony cabin. Im glad they dont want me to pay the difference. 🙂

My Panama Canal cruise is now selling inside cabins for more than I paid for a JS.  I suppose I should expect an email reassigning me any day now so they can sell my cabin for a much higher price.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You mentioned that you booked the cruise on a previous sailing. If so, there were most likely perks that were offered to entice you to book. Thus since you are after final payment (typically 45 days) you get nothing as a credit, upgrade of freebee. Please read your cruise contract and the paperwork that you were given when you made the original booking on the other cruise.

In your 39 years with Royal I'm sure this isn't the first time that a cruise has dropped in price after final payment its just the first time you have caught it. Royal's old policy about 10 years ago was to give OBC for price reductions close to sail date. I once walked off a Alaska cruise with Royal with an I.O.U. from Royal because of a price drop I caught a week before the sailing for $2800. Boy those were the days. Now a days I search for lower prices up until Final Payment and request repricing but AFTER final payment I'll still watch for lower price but its for higher categories. I too have never been given an upgrade in 21 years of sailing with Royal and Celebrity cruises but I have PAID for some amazing upgrades for pennies on the dollar. As for Good Business for Royal to refund, its really not good business for them to refund money to everyone every time the price drops because they are trying to fill every cabin before a sailing at some point they have to say Stop and they have decided that that point is at Final Payment. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bentl1 said:

Just for the record, this is common for lines to refund the difference regardless of date of payment. I've had it happen before ... you're not being treated special by only getting what you overpaid returned. It's just good business sense ... 

not anymore, they may upgrade you did you ask for that I have never been given money back after final payment with any CruiseLine I have been upgraded or given an OBC my last NCL cruise the price went down 1500.00 compared to what I paid and they did not offer anything because the sale was for new bookings only 

it is what is if you want a certain cabin you book early watch the price before final to make sure it doesn't go down after final payment don't look anymore if you got the cabin you wanted at that price be happy or wait till the last minute to book and get whatever they give you