Unique Coastal/Alaskan Voyage

cruisingrob21

I usually stay on top of unique west coast voyages, but I must have missed this one along the way.  I wish Princess would offer this once or twice during the summer as an alternative to the typical Alaskan "milkrun" itineraries, as its a nice blend of ports that rarely get full-day calls.  Based on the discount shown, it's probably not selling very well, which is too bad, but then again, its at the end of September.  For US passengers it might even be possible to disembark in Seattle much like some Canadian passengers disembark in Victoria at the end of a 7 night RT Seattle Alaskan cruise.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details/?voyageCode=8332N

IMHO, this is more of a Northwest Coastal trip with one stop in Alaska. The itinerary really does not seem appealing. It might only be because we live on the coast in WA State and all of these locations are a short drive for us, except of course for Ketchikan.

Edited by nini
  • Like 1

I was expecting this to be a repositioning cruise of some sort to move the Majestic into its fall/winter season of cruising, but the fact that it is RT Vancouver disqualifies this as a repo.  I also live in Washington, but on the east side and all of these stops (not thinking about Ketchikan) are over 2 hours drive from us.  A port day in Seattle would not be interesting or exotic, but Astoria is an interesting place to have a port day, and with enough hours in Victoria, that also makes for a nice port day.  And who doesn't like Ketchikan?

Also, there is a pretty big gap in the itinerary for the Majestic in September.  It does two 7 day Alaska runs at the beginning of the month, and then there seems to be a week that is missing until this cruise.  Is she going into dry dock? 

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Ketchikan is my least favorite port. 😞 

I used to feel the same way, but I've found some things about it that I really like now.

To that end, Victoria and Astoria are better ports than Ketchikan if you appreciate history, culture, local food and drink, and in some regard, even varied geography.  Even though I can drive to Astoria, its unique to arrive on a ship.

8 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

I used to feel the same way, but I've found some things about it that I really like now.

To that end, Victoria and Astoria are better ports than Ketchikan if you appreciate history, culture, local food and drink, and in some regard, even varied geography.  Even though I can drive to Astoria, its unique to arrive on a ship.

Do you mind sharing what you now like about Ketchikan?

8 hours ago, ckylec said:

Do you mind sharing what you now like about Ketchikan?

• I've been with family as well as solo - when I go solo I tend to hike, jog or walk around town and have discovered a newfound appreciation for just observing day to day life within Ketchikan and many of the unique vistas for photos.
  • There are some good Breweries in town (Bawden St is a good one) as well as Uncharted Alaska Distillery which has some very good spirits.
  • The Rainbow trail above town is a nice path.  Or walking along 3rd avenue above town provides some great vistas.
  • City Park, tucked behind Cape Fox hill is a nice little oasis to walk through with fish ladders as I recall.
  • The network of wooden plank paths that go to homes and businesses is also fun to discover.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:
  • I've been with family as well as solo - when I go solo I tend to hike, jog or walk around town and have discovered a newfound appreciation for just observing day to day life within Ketchikan and many of the unique vistas for photos.
  • There are some good Breweries in town (Bawden St is a good one) as well as Uncharted Alaska Distillery which has some very good spirits.
  • The Rainbow trail above town is a nice path.  Or walking along 3rd avenue above town provides some great vistas.
  • City Park, tucked behind Cape Fox hill is a nice little oasis to walk through with fish ladders as I recall.
  • The network of wooden plank paths that go to homes and businesses is also fun to discover.

Thanks!!

On 4/17/2023 at 1:49 PM, cruisingrob21 said:

I usually stay on top of unique west coast voyages, but I must have missed this one along the way.  I wish Princess would offer this once or twice during the summer as an alternative to the typical Alaskan "milkrun" itineraries, as its a nice blend of ports that rarely get full-day calls.  Based on the discount shown, it's probably not selling very well, which is too bad, but then again, its at the end of September.  For US passengers it might even be possible to disembark in Seattle much like some Canadian passengers disembark in Victoria at the end of a 7 night RT Seattle Alaskan cruise.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details/?voyageCode=8332N

BORING!  That is about the worse cruise ship itinerary anywhere anytime in history.

Don

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 1:10 PM, nini said:

IMHO, this is more of a Northwest Coastal trip with one stop in Alaska. The itinerary really does not seem appealing. It might only be because we live on the coast in WA State and all of these locations are a short drive for us, except of course for Ketchikan.

I'm not a big fan of this one either. I need more incentive than this to sail out of Vancouver, which is not our favorite place to sail from.

46 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I'm not a big fan of this one either. I need more incentive than this to sail out of Vancouver, which is not our favorite place to sail from.

Seattle is definitely much more convenient for us. Vancouver was part of the adventure, but that is now out of our system. We wanted that itinerary though, so there's that.

We just drive to Seattle the day of, park the car and board the ship.

• Like 1