Am I crazy? Book Mariner instead of Wonder.

Both of our Prime free cruise certificates are coming soon.  We have zoned in on Wonder 7 day or B2B Mariner 4/5 day in January 2024.  We would book a junior suite on Wonder or a grand suite on Mariner.  We just got off of Wonder a few weeks ago and were in a JS.  We had a great time and ate in Coastal Kitchen several nights.  However, it was soooo overwhelmingly crowded.  We have cruised on Oasis class several times and truthfully, while I enjoy all of the activities, having the same layout on the ships gets a bit repetitive to me.  We cruised on Mariner last March and really enjoyed ourselves.  We were in a GS on that cruise and enjoyed the suite experience on the ship.  I know the GS experience on Oasis class is better than other classes of ships.  I guess we are wanting to sail on other classes of Royal ships for variety.  The Mariner cruises would end up being a few hundred dollars more than Wonder.  Any thoughts on our dilemma would be appreciated.

My thoughts: you want to sail on Mariner, and I think you should definitely do it. You'll have a great cruise and won't be kicking yourself thinking you could have had a grand suite. Yes GS is better on Oasis class, but you wouldn't be in GS on Wonder so it's a moot point. Voyager class ships offer a great cruise experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d lean towards Mariner except for it being 2 short cruise B2B. Different vibe then on longer cruise, plus one day somewhat lost on turnaround day.  

• Thanks 1

I really like voyager class ships like mariner , sailed grand suites on her 3 times , not the entertainment of oasis class but it is a nice ship that does have ice show . Like the pool seating and breakfast in a specialty restaurant. I prefer the 9 days and the grand suite.

• Thanks 1

We were looking at a cruise next spring for 3 adults.  We like sailing out of Canaveral since it’s a shorter drive.  So we were considering Wonder.  I happened to look at a 5 day on Mariner instead.  I got the 2 bedroom grand suite for thousands less than a junior suite and an inside on Wonder.  I know it’s shorter, but we really like Mariner and with the amp changes it’s a great option.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Voyager class has always been a sweet spot for me.  Great size, good mix of stuff.  The amplifications made a huge difference.  

Agree with the ship class but highly dislike 5 day, and absolutly hate 4 day cruises (based on that I will never try a 3 day).  Not only the clientele on them but the degradation of upper level perks.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Both of our Prime free cruise certificates are coming soon.  We have zoned in on Wonder 7 day or B2B Mariner 4/5 day in January 2024.  We would book a junior suite on Wonder or a grand suite on Mariner.  We just got off of Wonder a few weeks ago and were in a JS.  We had a great time and ate in Coastal Kitchen several nights.  However, it was soooo overwhelmingly crowded.  

I felt Wonder had busy moments sometimes, but wouldn’t describe it as too crowded overall. Always found a seat everywhere we went. We had memorable times at a couple bars all to ourselves and chatted with a friendly bartender who recommended his favorite drinks to us. Enjoyed late dinners uncrowded. Can’t wait to get back on Wonder.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

I would prefer Mariner. My sister and nephew really enjoyed it last Fall. And I would find out when Yeshiva week is, so I could avoid it. Others may not mind, but I can't tolerate packs of unruly children. 

Do you know when it is for 2024?  I can't find it 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Both of our Prime free cruise certificates are coming soon.  We have zoned in on Wonder 7 day or B2B Mariner 4/5 day in January 2024.  We would book a junior suite on Wonder or a grand suite on Mariner.  We just got off of Wonder a few weeks ago and were in a JS.  We had a great time and ate in Coastal Kitchen several nights.  However, it was soooo overwhelmingly crowded.  We have cruised on Oasis class several times and truthfully, while I enjoy all of the activities, having the same layout on the ships gets a bit repetitive to me.  We cruised on Mariner last March and really enjoyed ourselves.  We were in a GS on that cruise and enjoyed the suite experience on the ship.  I know the GS experience on Oasis class is better than other classes of ships.  I guess we are wanting to sail on other classes of Royal ships for variety.  The Mariner cruises would end up being a few hundred dollars more than Wonder.  Any thoughts on our dilemma would be appreciated.

I'd go Mariner for a couple of reasons. Number 1 is that I'd take the 9 nights over 7 100% of the time if my schedule allowed, and second is that I do not enjoy the Oasis class. 2 of my last 3 cruises have been Oasis and Allure, and much like your observation, I find them to be too crowded and the layout is so focused inward and I like to see the ocean. We were on Oasis last week, and were docked next to Explorer in PDCC. I found myself staring at Explorer from the upper decks(because that's one of the only places to look outside on Oasis) wishing I could swap ships. I realize that I am in the minority here who dislike the Oasis sisters, but I'll take a Radiance ship over anything else in the fleet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last October, we booked Wonder for this coming October (2023).  When we got back, we decided to search a little more and ended up switch from Wonder to Mariner for this coming October.  We love the Oasis class ships, but Wonder is still very much a premium (well, they all seem to be now).  We went from a 7 day, neighborhood balcony to an 8 day ocean balcony and it cost $1000 less than the Wonder cruise.  As a bonus, it is going to Bermuda which we have never been to.  We have been on Mariner several times and always enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

We are currently on Wonder B2B in a JS and quite honestly can’t wait to get back on Mariner in June.

What exactly do you dislike about Wonder? Or love more about Mariner?

I'm happy on any ship with a promenade or bigger, just curious since we'll be on Wonder in June.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

What exactly do you dislike about Wonder? Or love more about Mariner?

I'm happy on any ship with a promenade or bigger, just curious since we'll be on Wonder in June.

Too many things to list, but don’t like the layout at all, the ship has significant plumbing problems, things like the doors to Central Park that were broken when we were on Wonder in January are still broken. The whole ship smells of mildew and must. You have to find an officer to request that the windows in the solarium can be opened, most of the seating on the pool deck is in the pool itself, and there are virtually no areas of the open decks where you can walk without encountering a half dozen pinch points. Other than that and the subpar food, it is an architecturural marvel that needs to be seen, jut not more than once.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

Are people who cruise on Vision class crazy? They cruise for various reasons, not because they cannot cruise on Wonder.

There are many reasons   why people choose particular cruise. Enjoy Mariner!

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Too many things to list, but don’t like the layout at all, the ship has significant plumbing problems, things like the doors to Central Park that were broken when we were on Wonder in January are still broken. The whole ship smells of mildew and must. You have to find an officer to request that the windows in the solarium can be opened, most of the seating on the pool deck is in the pool itself, and there are virtually no areas of the open decks where you can walk without encountering a half dozen pinch points. Other than that and the subpar food, it is an architecturural marvel that needs to be seen, jut not more than once.

Thanks for sharing. I'd wager money that I won't mind some of the things that bothered you but everyone has their own preferences, opinions, things that are important, etc. On the plus side for some of your complaints, we're being treated to a GS by my generous FIL so any lounging time will be spent on the suite sun deck. We never ever sit by the main pool on any ship when we're alone anyway, only the Solarium. The only time I'll spend by the pool on Wonder is when I go to grab food and/or a margarita from El Loco Fresh/attached bar. Oh, and I need to try a Lime & Coconut, not sure if the suite deck bar or others can make those or not.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Are people who cruise on Vision class crazy? They cruise for various reasons, not because they cannot cruise on Wonder.

There are many reasons   why people choose particular cruise. Enjoy Mariner!

Agreed, I don't care for any ship below Voyager class but obviously plenty do. Different strokes...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Agreed, I don't care for any ship below Voyager class but obviously plenty do. Different strokes...

Our cruises in

2022: Anthem (9 days South Caribbean) - Enchantment (Vision class)  (12 days South Caribbean) - Oasis - Adventure (Voyager class) - Anthem

2023: Anthem (11 days South Caribbean) - Enchantment  (12days South Caribbean) - Liberty (Bermuda) - Liberty (NE/Canada) - Anthem (Thanksgiving , Florida/Bahamas)

2024: Anthem (11 days South Caribbean) - Vision (12 days South Caribbean)- Symphony - Liberty - Odyssey (Thanksgiving , Florida/Bahamas)

2025: Odyssey  (11 days South Caribbean) - Vision  (11 days South Caribbean) - Symphony - whoever will cruise to NE/Canada probably Liberty - Odyssey (or whoever does Thanksgiving from NJ)

We have no issue going from one class to another because each of them offers some pros (has some cons) + itinerary can be to die for.  🙂

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, George C said:

I doubt I will cruise on any rccl ship that doesn’t have ice show . 

Will you absolutely avoid Quantum class? Quantum, Anthem, Ovation, Odyssey ?

They are great ships larger than Voyager class and with the best Solariums

Anthem-of-the-Seas-solarium-1.jpg

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

so any lounging time will be spent on the suite sun deck.

Make sure you pack a lot of soot colored clothes if you want to spend any time on the suite sun deck. We are sitting up there now and the only way to protect our clothes is to cover every surface where we will be sitting with towels and avoiding brushing up against any other surfaces. Even have to wipe down the soles of our shoes before we walk off of the sun deck so we don’t track any tar on the carpets.

• Like 1

Just now, orville99 said:

Make sure you pack a lot of soot colored clothes if you want to spend any time on the suite sun deck. We are sitting up there now and the only way to protect our clothes is to cover every surface where we will be sitting with towels and avoiding brushing up against any other surfaces. Even have to wipe down the soles of our shoes before we walk off of the sun deck so we don’t track any tar on the carpets.

Yuck. Think I'll let the family discover that on their own. Also sounds like an added excuse for me to head elsewhere and eat in between family meals (which I'd do anyway) or develop a drinking problem with some free SL beer/Truly. 🤣

• Like 1