Rydges..formerly Holiday Inn, The Rocks, Sydney.

We stayed in the Holiday Inn at the Rocks, Sydney for our first Australian cruise.  For the next cruise it had changed to Rydges..but sadly Covid hit and cruise/ hotel all cancelled. We were fortunate enough to change to February 24. I’ve now tried to book it again. Unfortunately there seems to be  ‘an issue’. 

Please does anyone know if Rydges is selling the hotel or any other information ???

Otherwise.. any suggestions for an hotel near OPT ?? We wondered about Sebel Suites, Quay West or Radisson Blu…would we be able to walk to drop off cases, like Rydges??  Medium priced hotel please.

Many thanks.

Rydges sold their Rocks hotel late last year. I don't know when the change of ownership comes into effect - it will become part of the Crystalbrook chain.

It will still be a hotel, but not sure if there is a renovation period that will close down much of the hotel.

Depending on the price you can get, yes Quay West is close enough to do a bag drop. The Marriot is even better located, and is often on par for pricing.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 1

Very Interesting to say the least. I just made a confirmed reservation on April 8 for our October 28-day Around Australia cruise on the Coral Princess. Guess I need a new hotel. I do like The Rocks area. Thanks for the info.

34 minutes ago, c130 said:

Very Interesting to say the least. I just made a confirmed reservation on April 8 for our October 28-day Around Australia cruise on the Coral Princess. Guess I need a new hotel. I do like The Rocks area. Thanks for the info.

The OP was asking about Feb 2024. At this stage, Rydges isn't taking bookings that far ahead. You won't need a new hotel for this October.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The OP was asking about Feb 2024. At this stage, Rydges isn't taking bookings that far ahead. You won't need a new hotel for this October.

Oops, missed that bit.

I like that Rydges Hotel.  They gave me a key to use their toilets even though I wasn't a guest.  That is class!   I remember thinking I would stay at that hotel, but I already have a favourite inexpensive hotel in Sydney at Potts Point.

Initially, I made reservations at Amora Jamison but then changed about 3 weeks prior to the Four Seasons. Glad I did. After spending thousands on airfare + cruise + excursions, the location & service at the FS was excellent. I prepaid room about 3 weeks prior & asked for an early checkin after flying 15 hrs, was accompanied at arrival around 9:30 AM. Could not have been happier. Did not pay for breakfast there but enjoyed several outings to Fine Food Store recommended by the concierge.

We have stayed at this Rydges before our last two cruises. Perfect location before a cruise. Old , plain accomodations but good enough for one night. 

Not available for March 2024, so I  apparently bought a share of the Four Seasons Hotel instead. It had to be a full harbour view room , with breakfast for us, so they didn't miss us tariff wise !

Cheers, Buzz.

We have a booking at the Rydges for late December 2023.

When I was looking to book this stay last year there was nothing showing on their website until January 2023. I wouldn't necessarily assume that your desired dates will not be available, just that they are not listed yet.

You could send an email enquiry to Reservations_rydgessydneyharbour@evt.com, perhaps they can clarify for you.

A news article from September 6, 2022 states
"The property will continue to be operated by Event Hotels and Resorts under the Rydges brand for the foreseeable future, until Crystalbrook consolidates its vision to reinvent the hotel."

Edited by Wookie01

We stayed there before most cruises because of the location, it was looking a little old last time we stayed there and there were often a couple of stairs in silly places, but the location couldn’t be beat

• Like 1

Thanks folks.

I emailed the Rydges group. The Rydges at the Rocks has been bought by another company..seems they haven’t decided when renovations will take place, so availability is not showing yet. They suggested we keep an eye on the website..and should have rates showing by the end of June 2023

I have put a hold, with free cancellation on Sebel Suites. Rendezvous- Vous might be worth looking into but the consolidator I looked at wasn’t showing availability with breakfast…not a huge deal but looking for simplicity.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Thanks folks.

I emailed the Rydges group. The Rydges at the Rocks has been bought by another company..seems they haven’t decided when renovations will take place, so availability is not showing yet. They suggested we keep an eye on the website..and should have rates showing by the end of June 2023

I have put a hold, with free cancellation on Sebel Suites. Rendezvous- Vous might be worth looking into but the consolidator I looked at wasn’t showing availability with breakfast…not a huge deal but looking for simplicity.

Thanks again.

There are plenty of cafes near the Rendezvous.

13 hours ago, fairywren said:

No restaurant at the Rendezvous, room only.

We stay there often in the studio or 1 bedroom apartments (they have a kitchen or kitchenette)

Lots of cafes nearby too and a short walk to the cruise terminal

On 4/19/2023 at 10:37 AM, MMDown Under said:

I like that Rydges Hotel.  They gave me a key to use their toilets even though I wasn't a guest.  That is class!   I remember thinking I would stay at that hotel, but I already have a favourite inexpensive hotel in Sydney at Potts Point.

Would you mind telling us the name of the hotel? We will need to book one for March next year but don't want one we can walk to the port as we probably need a taxi to take us right to the terminal.

Thanks Juls

Just now, Normanville said:

Would you mind telling us the name of the hotel? We will need to book one for March next year but don't want one we can walk to the port as we probably need a taxi to take us right to the terminal.

Thanks Juls

The basic Devere Hotel, Potts Point where many rich people live.  Lots of restaurants.  You can catch Uber or Taxi plus buses in two directions or walk to the harbour or to city through the Botanical Gardens.

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

The basic Devere Hotel, Potts Point where many rich people live.  Lots of restaurants.  You can catch Uber or Taxi plus buses in two directions or walk to the harbour or to city through the Botanical Gardens.

Book direct for best price inc breakfast

26 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Book direct for best price inc breakfast

Thanks, bookings are not available yet but I will make a note to try a bit closer. It looks just what we would like .Normally we fly in same day but don't trust airlines at present. Do you remember how much a taxi from airport costs?

6 minutes ago, Normanville said:

Thanks, bookings are not available yet but I will make a note to try a bit closer. It looks just what we would like .Normally we fly in same day but don't trust airlines at present. Do you remember how much a taxi from airport costs?

Agree don’t fly in same day, even from Queensland.  No I get a shuttle from airport to hotel. I look at it likes a free Cook’s tour checking out Where other passengers stay.  I’ll see if I can find name of driver for you if you like. Hotel has set time shuttles back to the airport.  There is a lovely walk down to the harbour through a park.  Also historic house

Elizabeth House.  

On 4/19/2023 at 12:19 PM, CU64 said:

Initially, I made reservations at Amora Jamison but then changed about 3 weeks prior to the Four Seasons. Glad I did. After spending thousands on airfare + cruise + excursions, the location & service at the FS was excellent. I prepaid room about 3 weeks prior & asked for an early checkin after flying 15 hrs, was accompanied at arrival around 9:30 AM. Could not have been happier. Did not pay for breakfast there but enjoyed several outings to Fine Food Store recommended by the concierge.

Can i ask Why you changed your mind from the Amora Jamison?

We always stay at https://www.booking.com/hotel/au/sydney-harbour-yha.en-gb.html - yes a  youth hostel.  A youth hostel with comfortable ensuite rooms - our last one had an iconic view of the opera house. Plus it's built over an arkeological dig which you can visit for free.  For a youth hostel I'd say the average age was nearer retirement than uni age - its a lovely spot which I've recommended many to go to. Its easy access to the train and you walk to the cruise port all down hill - you'll know where you can see the ship from the roof 

• Like 2

Back in September pre Coral Princess cruise, I stayed at Sydney Harbour Marriott, a stones throw from OPT. Very good hotel. The Marriott price was the same as Rydges that night. Join Marriott loyalty club for best price. I got an excellent room  and late checkout. Breakfasted at City Extra opposite ferries.

1F71B76B-BB0A-43B6-8997-7EE79D66BF6F.thumb.jpeg.33b545abe4c474e32269560f668fb44d.jpeg