Gold Laundry Perk/Fill the Bag

BostonGal35

Is the $29 "Fill the Bag Special" considered "retail price" for the day its offered, thus costing a Gold member $14.50?  Or does the Gold member merely get 50% off specific items based on the listing of prices?  Two of us are Sapphire so we each get a bag free, but would be nice if our 3rd traveler could also get a bag for just $14.50 (although $30 isnt that crazy insane).  It seems like a Gold member would spend more at 50% off each item than if they just paid the $29 for fill the bag.

Laundry - Gold, Platinum, Sapphire, Diamond & Ambassador

The amount of the bulk bag laundry service discount is determined by the Latitudes tier level of the guest claiming the benefit: Gold members receive fifty (50%) percent off of retail price of bulk bag laundry service, and Platinum, Sapphire, Diamond, and Ambassador members receive one (1) bag bulk bag laundry service at no cost.

The fill the bag deal is a special and you don't get a discount above and beyond that.  All that being said, we needed to do a second load on a trip while we were GOLD level and my wife said at 50% off there was like $50 worth of stuff in the bag (she did math, I was on vacation so I passed).  We get it back and I check the folio, they charged us $19 and change.  I didn't ask, and they didn't tell.  So, what I am saying is, it may be cheaper then you thnk.

1 hour ago, BostonGal35 said:
Is the $29 "Fill the Bag Special" considered "retail price" for the day its offered, thus costing a Gold member $14.50?  Or does the Gold member merely get 50% off specific items based on the listing of prices?  Two of us are Sapphire so we each get a bag free, but would be nice if our 3rd traveler could also get a bag for just $14.50 (although $30 isnt that crazy insane).  It seems like a Gold member would spend more at 50% off each item than if they just paid the $29 for fill the bag.

Laundry - Gold, Platinum, Sapphire, Diamond & Ambassador

The amount of the bulk bag laundry service discount is determined by the Latitudes tier level of the guest claiming the benefit: Gold members receive fifty (50%) percent off of retail price of bulk bag laundry service, and Platinum, Sapphire, Diamond, and Ambassador members receive one (1) bag bulk bag laundry service at no cost.

You get 50% off the fil-a-bag deal as a gold member. 

The $29 is the standard full-bag rate.  On cruises 7 days or longer, they offer a half-price deal on one day mid-way through the cruise (when laundry team isn't as busy with sheets/towels).

In our experience, you can fill the bag to overflowing.  The room steward puts it in a plastic bag anyway so that loose pieces don't fall out.

Strategies:

> Use a second bag slipped CAREFULLY over the top

> Stuffing a t-shirt with rolled items and then slide that bundle into a paper bag to reduce tearing.

> Slide the paper bag into a mesh draw-string laundry bag (Dollar Tree!) which allows for a larger load and no lost pieces.

> Put delicates/socks in smaller mesh bags, too.  Sometimes the crew opens them to fold items, sometimes it comes back still zipped in the bag.

We have never been charged extra for (modestly) oversized loads, but your mileage may vary.

$5 to the room steward seems to make good things happen.

7 hours ago, BostonGal35 said:
Two of us are Sapphire so we each get a bag free, but would be nice if our 3rd traveler could also get a bag for just $14.50 (although $30 isnt that crazy insane).  It seems like a Gold member would spend more at 50% off each item than if they just paid the $29 for fill the bag.

If the three of you are traveling in the same room, and assuming you aren't afraid of catching each other's cooties by placing your clothes together in the same bag, why not just combine your laundry and use your Sapphire coupons to cover the laundry costs for all?  You may only receive one laundry coupon per stateroom, but if there are two Sapphire members in the room you each are entitled to a free bag of laundry.  Simply write "Sapphire Latitudes - FREE" on the laundry ticket and you should not see a charge on your account.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

If the three of you are traveling in the same room, and assuming you aren't afraid of catching each other's cooties by placing your clothes together in the same bag, why not just combine your laundry and use your Sapphire coupons to cover the laundry costs for all?  You may only receive one laundry coupon per stateroom, but if there are two Sapphire members in the room you each are entitled to a free bag of laundry.  Simply write "Sapphire Latitudes - FREE" on the laundry ticket and you should not see a charge on your account.

Because we do a bag each, every cruise so we can do carry on only.

4 hours ago, BostonGal35 said:

love it, two different answers lol

that said, Bird, i know you sail a lot so im inclined to take your response....

I will be happy to show you my folio, you DO NOT get 50% off the $29 laundry deal.  You get half off other bags of laundry (and more I guess, as I explained my numbers did not add up to what I thought).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BostonGal35 said:

Because we do a bag each, every cruise so we can do carry on only.

Fair enough.  We also try to travel light.  We find that if we roll our clothing tightly we can get about four days' worth of clothes for both of us into one laundry bag.  If we pack enough clothing for five days, we can get by with just one bag of laundry on a week long cruise.  If we spend a day or two on land before and after the cruise, we turn in a bag of laundry on the first day on board, then another around day five.  It works for us, but YMMV.  Anyway, as others have pointed out, your Gold member traveling companion ought to be able to get a bag of laundry done for half price on the day they offer the special.  That should come to $14.50 at NCL's current rate.

2 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

assuming you aren't afraid of catching each other's cooties by placing your clothes together in the same bag

Once they are out of the bag, they end up in the same washer with each other's and with dozens of other people's laundry (121 lbs of laundry per load). 

image.thumb.png.fb087941d37a27d928dedec1f1bcab2c.png

Edited by BirdTravels

18 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Once they are out of the bag, they end up in the same washer with each other's and with dozens of other people's laundry (121 lbs of laundry per load).

That's true, but the laundry crew does tag them first so they know which room gets them back.  I would assume that two or more persons traveling in the same room would be able to recognize their own clothes from those of their roommates and sort things out.

Ah those little itchy tags placed at the most opportune places to maximize itch irritation.

and at times of discomfort causing one to dance a new whirling dervish devil dance while

promenading the grand atrium !

On cruises of length 6 or more days there maybe a bag laundry deal available for all guests.

Cruises of more than 10 days it may be offered again.

The Gold and higher Latitudes guests can get their free or reduced (half Price) laundry

done at any time - no need to wait for the bag deal

Varies by ship but generally the middle day of the cruise is bag deal - receiving the clean

laundry the following day late in the afternoon.

The Latitudes guests may experience laundry back in the late afternoon on the same day

as noted varies by ship (make sure to give to Cabin Attendant early in the morning) !.

With this in mind guests should expect to have clean clothes to walk off the ship on the

final day of the cruise.

On that final day of the cruise just remember NOT to pack away ALL your clothes in your luggage - leave something presentable for disembarking clean or otherwise.

15 hours ago, Sue Do-Over2 said:

The $29 is the standard full-bag rate.  On cruises 7 days or longer, they offer a half-price deal on one day mid-way through the cruise (when laundry team isn't as busy with sheets/towels).

In our experience, you can fill the bag to overflowing.  The room steward puts it in a plastic bag anyway so that loose pieces don't fall out.

Strategies:

> Use a second bag slipped CAREFULLY over the top

> Stuffing a t-shirt with rolled items and then slide that bundle into a paper bag to reduce tearing.

> Slide the paper bag into a mesh draw-string laundry bag (Dollar Tree!) which allows for a larger load and no lost pieces.

> Put delicates/socks in smaller mesh bags, too.  Sometimes the crew opens them to fold items, sometimes it comes back still zipped in the bag.

We have never been charged extra for (modestly) oversized loads, but your mileage may vary.

$5 to the room steward seems to make good things happen.

Welcome to CC.

On 4/18/2023 at 6:22 PM, The Traveling Man said:

Simply write "Sapphire Latitudes - FREE" on the laundry ticket and you should not see a charge on your account.

We were two platinum members in a suite last cruise.  We only received one free laundry coupon for the two of us, and no instructions on how to use the free laundry service (1 bag) of the suite.  The concierge told us the same as posted above.  Write you lattitudes number/status and free on the ticket for each of the rewards bags, and free suite promo on the bag for the room level.  We had three bags completed at no charge (beyond what we paid for the cabin....).

On 4/18/2023 at 3:38 PM, oteixeira said:

I will be happy to show you my folio, you DO NOT get 50% off the $29 laundry deal.  You get half off other bags of laundry (and more I guess, as I explained my numbers did not add up to what I thought).

I got 50% off the $29 laundry deal on the Getaway last month

On 4/18/2023 at 8:55 PM, don't-use-real-name said:

receiving the clean

laundry the following day late in the afternoon.

The Latitudes guests may experience laundry back in the late afternoon on the same day

as noted varies by ship (make sure to give to Cabin Attendant early in the morning) !.

That was our experience last year as well, but with the switch to overworked cabin attendants making only one visit to each cabin each day, it's taking at least a day longer (here on the Spirit).   

Often the laundry isn't picked up till late (if your cabin is later to be serviced), then the attendant doesn't have the time to go check if it's been done.  48 hours or more turn around for "express" is normal now. Previously on this same ship it was excellent.