The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday April 20th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

@grapau27 I had a survey after my hip replacement and they asked for suggestions. I added that while all the leg exercises before surgery were great, they needed to add arm strengthening exercises. It was amazing how much you needed to use your arms since you weren't supposed to bend or put weight on the leg.

@cat shepard We have had nothing but trouble with our Samsung refrigerator, especially the ice maker. The entire refrigerator was replaced while under warranty but the new one still freezes up and quits working.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@grapau27 I had a survey after my hip replacement and they asked for suggestions. I added that while all the leg exercises before surgery were great, they needed to add arm strengthening exercises. It was amazing how much you needed to use your arms since you weren't supposed to bend or put weight on the leg.

@cat shepard We have had nothing but trouble with our Samsung refrigerator, especially the ice maker. The entire refrigerator was replaced while under warranty but the new one still freezes up and quits working.

Great suggestion and I absolutely agree.

For me fortunately I did weight training regularly before my heart attack 3 years ago and still have my upper body strength which is a big help now getting out of some chairs,up off the floor etc.

Graham.

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

We have returned from the GI doc who referred us to a surgeon. The office facilitated an appointment for us for next Thursday and hopefully DH can be on the schedule soon. This surgery ,although laparoscopic, includes an overnight stay.

I am so tired and I am not the patient!

The patient is a little nervous, as am I, but we have gotten through much worse before. 

Prayers for DH and his procedure; and for you too as it's hard being the patient support too!

18 minutes ago, Himself said:

I love the Daily Fleet report even if I do noy comment.

Lovely sentiment, Father.

12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sounds like you're almost ready.  We will miss you!  Maybe you could check in occasionally (if you can find wifi).

Thanks Sandi. Just loose ends now. I think there's Starlink on the ship, but who know how well it works in the middle of the Atlantic! And once in Gemany I'll have our host's wifi, plus unlimited data through T-Mobile.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, highscar said:

@grapau27   Best surgery to correct your discomfort.    I had both hip replaced over 30 years ago.  After excellent physio I went back to many activities. Still dancing and very active.  

Thank you.

This is very reassuring and I'm delighted for you.

Graham.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, superoma said:

This triggered a memory, too, of Quebec but no name comes to mind. The dangers of a small sample keep showing up! I think we may be closer to 75 people since I realized a few were missing because they were cruising

Maybe your trivia will prompt the missing folk to post! I love your super start!

• Like 12

Also on the appliance topic: oy oy oy oy oy. Kitchen remodeling is not imminent, but the refrigerator I want is on sale through next week.

The trouble is that it's taller than the space. I'm going to see how hard it would be to remove the cabinet above it. The reason the cabinet is too low is that there's also a soffit. One of the remodeling goals is to eliminate the soffits.

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

My appliance guru said LG is the worst, followed closely by Samsung. 
Sadly these two have some great features. I have my eye on a Whirlpool.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I thought at some point we had someone from Quebec too but can;t be sure.

It's not much of a start but I did walk about 10 minutes today.  I still use a cane for most things out of the house and that;s a bit of a damper.

Roy

It’s a start Roy. Good for you. Small steps lead to long steady strides.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 12

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

@dfish It's good that you have a date for the adrenal surgery. Did the surgeon mention anything about needing steroids for a bit, as the other adrenal will have been suppressed by the excess cortisol?

Yes, they did explain that.  I've got all my fingers and toes crossed hoping the other adrenal has not gone off line and will pick up the slack.  

• Like 14

36 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

This surgery ,although laparoscopic, includes an overnight stay.

That might be a good thing. When I had my broken nose repaired, it was same-day surgery and I would have liked an overnight stay--the surgery was late in the day and I was slow to come out of anesthesia, but the main thing was that I was going to be alone at home.

A friend said I should get someone to stay with me, because I would need adult supervision. I replied that I already had Fergus, the Senior Cat in Charge, which was more than enough supervision for an entire household.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

We have returned from the GI doc who referred us to a surgeon. The office facilitated an appointment for us for next Thursday and hopefully DH can be on the schedule soon. This surgery ,although laparoscopic, includes an overnight stay.

I am so tired and I am not the patient!

The patient is a little nervous, as am I, but we have gotten through much worse before. 

Sending you both our love and good wishes Terry.

The Laparoscopy is key hole surgery and hopefully not invasive.

Take care and try to rest.

Our prayers 🙏 are with you both and Tana.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lady Hudson said:

Slow and steady wins the race!  Here’s hoping the milder temperatures will be a help to you.  I know you had to cancel some cruises but do you have anything else planned?  Katherine 

I have 2 cruises still on the books.  The first is on Queen Mary 2 September 29 to October 13, Brooklyn to Quebec and back.  It's my first ever time in the Grills (Princess Grill) and was "purchased" with non-refundable credit from the cancelled 2020 World Cruise, so I REALLY want to do it.  The other is a Rotterdam Panama Canal cruise  November 12-24.  I am at the stage where my medical incidents are common enough that as a solo I hesitate to risk being debarked in a strange country and leaving others to deal with the mess I make.  Not so concerned about Canada, and I hope getting a visit with my niece in Florida will sweeten the pot a bit.

After that I may well not cruise any more.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 11

25 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

The Samsung compressor died when it was a year old.We now have a whirlpool I am very happy with.Good  luck!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Roy - I am sure you will have a great time on the cruises you have booked.  I love QM2.  For a while, when I was teaching, I was doing a double crossing each summer.  Such fun!

DH and I are only sailing out of Baltimore and Bayonne.  DH cannot fly any longer so we stay basically on ships going to the Bahamas and the Caribbean.  We did a lot of traveling to other parts of the world when we were younger so this new schedule suits us at this time in our lives.

Best regards.  Katherine 

Edited by Lady Hudson
  • Like 15

5 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Roy - I am sure you will have a great time on the cruises you have booked.  I love QM2.  For a while, when I was teaching, I was doing a double crossing each summer.  Such fun!

DH and I are only sailing out of Baltimore and Bayonne.  DH cannot fly any longer so we stay basically on ships going to the Bahamas and the Caribbean.  We did a lot of traveling to other parts of the world when we were younger so this new schedule suits us at this time in our lives.

Best regards.  Katherine 

I haven't flown since returning from Perth when QM2 World Cruise ended but consider Florida, New York, and Boston within potential reach with Amtrak and the Auto Train.

Roy

• Like 12

9 hours ago, superoma said:

Just a bit of trivia from my list monitoring over the last ten days

we are at least 67 strong. 
countries represented are USA, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, italy

provinces in Canada represented Ontario, New Brunswick, Saskatchewan,, Alberta, British Columbia 

us states represented in no particular order FL, CA, SC, WA, PA, MA, KS, MN, MI, CO, IL, VA, OR, UT, NY, WI, NJ, GA, MD, TX, AZ, SD, and 4 undefined

i found this interesting.

I’m probably one of the 4 undefined.   I’m a Texas duplicate.  Guess I should update my profile -

EDIT - Updated!

Edited by ocean sounds
Added location
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, superoma said:

Now that you mention it, I do remember. @daisybertiecomes to mind. The danger  of a small sample, 10 days, is that I will miss someone who mostly reads. Very happy to add another continent to the list.

Good morning everyone from south eastern Australia. It’s a beautiful sunny morning and 19 degrees Celsius. Not bad for an Autumn morning! I don’t post often but read the Daily every day. The first posts come through just as we are getting ready for bed. When we get up in the morning there are four or five pages to read while we have breakfast.

I used to be a volunteer firefighter and rescue operator but am now too old and too unfit! Now I volunteer in the primary school canteen. It’s great fun and the children are so polite and sweet. Kindergarten to year six, so 5 to 11 or 12 year olds. 
Today, we are going to take our lunch and go and look at the sea for a while. We sometimes sit down at the beach, look at the horizon and pretend we are on a BHB! 
Best wishes to all.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

The Samsung compressor died when it was a year old.We now have a whirlpool I am very happy with.Good  luck!

We have had only Whirlpool appliances ever since a relative/appliance repairman told us that Whirlpool is the best.  An acquaintance recently told me that she was told "they're all about the same now" --- I don't agree. 

We've been very happy with all our Whirlpool appliances.  The latest one to replace was our washer, it was about 25 years old.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, daisybertie said:

Good morning everyone from south eastern Australia. It’s a beautiful sunny morning and 19 degrees Celsius. Not bad for an Autumn morning! I don’t post often but read the Daily every day. The first posts come through just as we are getting ready for bed. When we get up in the morning there are four or five pages to read while we have breakfast.

I used to be a volunteer firefighter and rescue operator but am now too old and too unfit! Now I volunteer in the primary school canteen. It’s great fun and the children are so polite and sweet. Kindergarten to year six, so 5 to 11 or 12 year olds. 
Today, we are going to take our lunch and go and look at the sea for a while. We sometimes sit down at the beach, look at the horizon and pretend we are on a BHB! 
Best wishes to all.

Nice to see you again!

• Like 10

Well all crew facing guest are masked but most guest have decided to toss the dice or many never listened to Captains noon hour report. Everyone received mask in their mail box should be a hint. If 47 are positive how many have some symptoms but are not requesting testing?

We are complying as when this cruise is over we will be sitting for grandchildren for a couple of weeks.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I have 2 cruises still on the books.  The first is on Queen Mary 2 September 29 to October 13, Brooklyn to Quebec and back.  It's my first ever time in the Grills (Princess Grill) and was "purchased" with non-refundable credit from the cancelled 2020 World Cruise, so I REALLY want to do it.  The other is a Rotterdam Panama Canal cruise  November 12-24.  I am at the stage where my medical incidents are common enough that as a solo I hesitate to risk being debarked in a strange country and leaving others to deal with the mess I make.  Not so concerned about Canada, and I hope getting a visit with my niece in Florida will sweeten the pot a bit.

After that I may well not cruise any more.

Roy

In many ways, it saddens me to read that you may not cruise anymore after the two you have on the books.  But, I am happy that you are willing to make this decision and keeping the effects of your decisions on others in mind.  Maybe just do some Canada/New England cruises when you have the desire to be on a BHB.  This is a difficult decision that we will all face at some point.  You are truly a guiding light.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1