The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday April 24th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

19 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It's a little gloomy outside right now so how about something to cheer us up?  The Celebration Tree at DD's house is all ready for Cinco de Mayo!  This year the holiday is on a Friday (next week!) so I'm sure the partying will start early for the weekend.  Here is this year's version of her Cinco de Mayo tree.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKMYWIMwfhvDVXWwv49tG2cldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1681694872

Pinatas!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIYJnA4xOoT8WwLB8ssdNBlV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1681694868

DD's favorite -- margaritas!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJVWyg38naytOS3bgpnd8LHKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1681694871

All we need now is a mariachi band!

Lovely tree decorations Sandi.

Nice stairs spindles.and chest of drawers too.

Your DD has nice taste.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

@Denise T Thank you for the Armenian history lesson.  Genocide has occurred more often in history than most of us know about.  We need to teach about it if we have any chance of preventing future occurrences.  

It is a gloomy, chilly start to the day here in mid-Michigan.  They are claiming a high of 50F today with occasional sun.  I'm not sure I believe them.  Yesterday they said no precipitation.  I was halfway through my walk when it started sleeting.  Hopefully, I will get through the full walk today.  I do think the drink today sounds good.  It would be nice on a hot summer day.   I make an infused water with cucumbers, lime, and mint.  It is wonderful on a hot day.  

Today's meal is a good one for those of us looking to cut the carbs.  In two of the recipes today the eggplant replaces the noodles.  In the third recipe the eggplant and noodles are both used.  And for the meat lovers, you may go ahead and make it with a meat sauce or add the sausage in.  This first recipe only has 8 g of carbohydrate in a serving.  But the key is to know the serving size.   https://www.themediterraneandish.com/eggplant-lasagna/vegeggplantlasagna1.thumb.jpg.03ed8925ffa076fb4c6228786c7f52e9.jpg

This recipe uses both the eggplant and the noodles.  Carb count is 44 g.  The noodles make a huge difference.   https://healthyfitnessmeals.com/vegetarian-eggplant-lasagna/

vegeggplantlasagna2.thumb.jpg.ebcfc9d0baf56b5f579631940130adc2.jpg

This last one uses just the eggplant with no noodles and carb count is 14g.  Two out of three recipes say not to freeze leftovers because the eggplant gets too soggy.  All say you can add in ground meat if you desire.  https://www.wellplated.com/eggplant-lasagna/

vegeggplantlasagna3.thumb.jpg.a6e0e472704ad0ecc286bbeb0ca54d99.jpg

Welcome home @Ichiban Nekko.  Glad you enjoyed your trip.

@Mr. Boston we will continue to hold you close in our hearts.  

Hugs to all who need one.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

The first one sounds great. I would us tvp(textured vegetable protein) instead of meat. Even my non vegetarian ladies in my Wednesday group like it when I use it. The mouth feel is just like ground beef and being a soy product it takes on the taste of the sauces. I am, however, still working on a recipe to get them to accept tofu!

• Like 20

I think I’m still recovering from our hectic trip last week to another cousin funeral. Have to get groceries today.  Symphony was most pleasant yesterday but takes a fair amount of energy. 

My heart goes out to @Mr. Boston and @cruising sister .  Losses come to us in so many forms. We can never be prepared so there is always so much to process. And we all process our own way and in our own time. Please take YOUR time. Do not feel guilty about appreciating your own blessings; feel safe and loved… these will cocoon you as you slowly adjust to this new reality. Taking care of yourselves is essential. Good to know you both are doing that!  Give yourself a loving hug!  

My memory of Puerto Quetzal is that it was very HOT. The local greeters as we got off the ship handed us heavy paper hand-fans which we had for years and fondly called our “Guatemala air conditioners”.  And that the Jade Museum in the port area was blissfully cool - air conditioned for real and very interesting!  Coffee beans in the market were priced according to the elevation of the farms with the higher elevation coffee beans being the more expensive, but all the coffee from there is excellent!  

The Holocaust museum in Washington DC has an epilogue of all the genocides happening now!  Thanks for sharing your family history @Denise T

🙏 Sending out blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope!  

🥂Cheers to all celebrating. Life is Good!  

Smooth, healthy travels and seas for all who are away especially our cruisers!  🚢. Thanks for sharing your travels with us!  

Thanks Eva for keeping up our lists!  And Sandi and all who contribute here. Thanks Debbie for the food ideas. The drinks and wines are usually a pass for me, I’ve become allergic to most wines, and if I do have an alcoholic, which is rare, I keep it very simple… but they all sound interesting!  

Off to a new week!  Maureen 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Lovely tree decorations Sandi.

Nice stairs spindles.and chest of drawers too.

Your DD has nice taste.

Graham.

Thank you Graham.  Her husband replaced their white wooden traditional style spindles shortly after they moved in.  They had seen the same spindles in a different pattern in our home and liked them.  He also did the white wainscoting on the lower walls of their 3 formal rooms at the front of their home.  Another feature they had seen here and liked.  He's pretty handy as a carpenter and painter considering he works as an IT professional.🙂

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Remembering the Armenian genocide, and all genocides - terrible loss of life.  I haven't often felt like screaming, but you never know what the day will bring.  I always enjoyed Paula Poundstone's humour, and think the drink of the day would be quite refreshing on a hot summer's day.

Apparently we missed another round of northern lights last night - I'm seeing lots of photos of them on FB this morning.  The skies are bright and clear this morning with the temperature just above the freezing mark.  The wind should help take out a lot of the snow that's still in the yard, and maybe in the next couple of weeks we'll actually be able to go out and buy some hanging baskets for the yard.  

I'm not sure if you know, but the public service workers in Canada are on strike, and many people have made holiday arrangements, thinking they would get their passports on time for flights.  Now folks are wondering if the airlines would refund their money because they can't fly without passports.  Uh, no.  According to the passport website, they're only accommodating those who are in "emergency circumstances" such as illness or family death.   So many are booking without travel insurance, and they're going to be left on the hook because they put getting a passport on the back burner for too long.  I'm SO glad we got ours well in advance of any possible travel; it pays to be prepared.  Not that we have anywhere to go right now, but you never know!

@Mr. Boston welcome home; so many of us had you in our hearts this past week.

@marshhawkhoping for the best for Irving, but know you will make the right decision for him.

@cruising sisterI'm sorry the funeral was so upsetting for you; grief works in mysterious ways.  Take care of yourself.

@Ichiban Nekkowelcome back - it sounds like you had a great tour!

I'm going to give today's menu suggestion a pass; neither of us is a fan of eggplant, and I think it would be rather mushy - am I wrong?   Instead of having to figure out what to make for dinner tonight, all I have to do is go into the fridge and take out the leftovers from DH's daughter's dinner last night.  We had delicious breaded pork chops, spaghetti with home made sauce and a mixed greens salad, so that will be enjoyed at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It's a little gloomy outside right now so how about something to cheer us up?  The Celebration Tree at DD's house is all ready for Cinco de Mayo!  This year the holiday is on a Friday (next week!) so I'm sure the partying will start early for the weekend.  Here is this year's version of her Cinco de Mayo tree.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKMYWIMwfhvDVXWwv49tG2cldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1681694872

Pinatas!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIYJnA4xOoT8WwLB8ssdNBlV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1681694868

DD's favorite -- margaritas!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJVWyg38naytOS3bgpnd8LHKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1681694871

Love love love the tree. Your daughter is very crafty (in a good way)

The bird nesting is in thorns. I'll try to snap a picture.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Love the Cinco de Mayo pix! Thanks for the lift Sandi!  
I may not have regrets about moving to Maryland from New Mexico, but there are many things I miss!  m—

• Like 17

Good Morning, and happy Monday!  The sun was out briefly this morning, but it's cloudy again.  The Northern Lights were visible here last night, but I was already asleep when that happened!  The "weather guy" wasn't sure if the clouds would clear in time, but they did.  @StLouisCruisersThe tree your daughter decorates is great!  My mom used to have at least 10 trees, but she didn't leave any up.  I did do a Valentine's Day tree once, but we don't have a good place to leave a tree up!  Maybe I should decorate a bush outside.  @Seasick SailorI hope your bird does well.  We've had a robin make a nest in the bush near our front door, but a roaming cat usually gets the babies.  I wish that cat stayed inside!  @marshhawkthinking of you as you visit the vet...

Have a great day.  I'm joining our weaving group today to continue making our Christmas baskets.  Last year we started late, and almost didn't finish.  We make little baskets and fill them with trinkets for local nursing home/assisted living residents.     Karen

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone!

Just a quick post incase anyone feels like a sailaway!

Rotterdam will be leaving Amsterdam in a few minutes.

webcams:

https://live.netcamviewer.nl/Webcam-Kade-PTA/242?fbclid=IwAR32noWMQhmF6_Ge2cR3yjFklHGoyiPbp8hyJZi7i-N2D4t06L_HGp29Kgg

https://www.portofamsterdam.com/nl/ontdek/beleef-de-haven/webcam-amsterdam

• Like 11
  • Thanks 11

I love it!!!!!

Susan

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Hello everyone!

Just a quick post incase anyone feels like a sailaway!

Rotterdam will be leaving Amsterdam in a few minutes.

webcams:

https://live.netcamviewer.nl/Webcam-Kade-PTA/242?fbclid=IwAR32noWMQhmF6_Ge2cR3yjFklHGoyiPbp8hyJZi7i-N2D4t06L_HGp29Kgg

https://www.portofamsterdam.com/nl/ontdek/beleef-de-haven/webcam-amsterdam

Thank you for posting these links.  

And to all who love the tree, thank you too for your comments.  She really enjoys doing this or else she wouldn't use up her valuable time on it.  I'll tell her you all liked it!

• Like 16

Good morning from showery Durango. I don't expect much moisture, but all will be welcome as we head into Spring. Dogs and I got our walk in between the raindrops. Since today is inside work day it can shower away.

@marshhawkit is so hard to deal with aging pets and especially if you are going to be away. I know you will make the best decision for Irving.

I like eggplant so would probably like the lasagna and especially if someone would fix it for me. I get very tired of my own cooking such as it is.  And the drink sounds refreshing for a hot day. This evening's meal will be leftovers from the past couple of days with a salad. Not terribly exciting.

Take care all.

Susan

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Doubt you can see the bird nesting but didn't want to get too close to her outside

0424230931.thumb.jpg.123a1f0689a8f3d28453097842b27cb3.jpg0424230932.thumb.jpg.be51e558d0d8f0182eeeee8445eb34e8.jpg

So I guess the nest is the dark area on the right side of the first photo?  Good job of hiding it.  But those roaming cats that @ktbraun mentioned could still be a problem, even with the thorns.  Hope the babies make it!

• Like 17

Good morning all!

It's a cool 47 degrees and will get up only to the low 50's today.  Tomorrow starts a warming trend and looks to be very nice this week.  I'll be putting the rest of the seedlings out (have been hardening them off) because I won't be here most of the first half of May to water them.

I don't really care for pigs in a blanket, so sad about the terrible loss of life in the Armenian genocide. Thank you @Denise T for sharing your family history.   I can't think of many times I've actually screamed out loud, other than if I was suddenly startled in a spooky place.  The quote is funny, I'll pass on the meal (not a fan of eggplant), the red wine, but the drink is one of my favorites.  I thought the name of the port sounded familiar, and sure enough we were there in April of 2015 on the Statendam.  We took an all-day tour "Mayan Cosmology and Ancient Ruins".  It was a long ride there and back, through fields and past volcanoes.

@Ichiban NekkoWelcome back!  Your tour in France sounds amazing.

Here are a few of my photos from our tour out of Puerto Quetzal to the Mayan ruins.

One of many volcanoes in the area.

volcano.thumb.jpg.ac1eccc29935ab25fea536a125411c7b.jpg

Passing workers in a field

fieldworkers.thumb.jpg.955bb292e862c3bd7e54a63f5c2ae952.jpg

And at the ruins

Guatemalanruins.thumb.jpg.cdf801281a5559c5d661127753b49949.jpg

ruins2.thumb.jpg.13156a39bbd0060d0b689421cfe9f110.jpg

ruins3.thumb.jpg.a15bed0592cecff0c556dcbad6e2eb60.jpg

ruins4.thumb.jpg.f6249b9c5d18cc45e8298ce684111872.jpg

ruins5.thumb.jpg.e54bdcfb71eef2cef0b625db1db48e85.jpg

ruins6.thumb.jpg.6a89a1e43c8eb3bbc42f373240b308c2.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Much cooler in MD today.  I put some annuals in baskets this weekend.  I think I’ll bring them in tonight in case of frost.421DBEC1-0068-4931-8221-C64E53247C8D.thumb.jpeg.6914379e380bab6d821140cd733a3dc2.jpeg

All the talk of bird’s nests….I’m still watching theBald Eagle camera. Here’s a nice picture of the entire family.9736669F-6E6C-4DC3-BFE9-E098047E92F7.thumb.png.24ceaf598e48553f7283cd1142650490.png

When the Zuiderdam docked in Puerto Quetzal during our Panama Canal transit in 2022, we took a HAL tour to Antigua, a 1.5 hour bus ride from the port.  We were able to see the smoke from the volcano.  

D955EF2E-5F5C-4D9D-B9C6-E8A7270AA5F3.thumb.jpeg.15e23f3c759ace31f14b9f77b21ca046.jpeg

Our first stop was Casa del Ron where we had a rum tasting at 10 am.  

404E20CF-ABF4-4E0D-9588-D874DAE57615.thumb.jpeg.fd704694766f18a72ab65ca309762ad1.jpegAfter that, I forgot to take pictures.  We went to the square, a very nice jade museum where they had some beautiful pieces available for purchase and then to a restaurant for a Guatemalan lunch.  I was pleasantly surprised when they were able to provide me with a vegetarian plate; I was unfamiliar with most of the vegetables but they seemed to be several different kinds of squash and were tasty.

Wishing everyone the best Monday possible.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

If it's a real pig in a real blanket, I don't want one. If we're talking about the food item called pig in a blanket, I don't want that, either.

It is a matter of shame for me that the North American Jewish community persisted so long in denying the Armenian genocide, I think because leaders feared that acknowledging it would affect the back channel between the governments of Israel and Turkey. That has changed.

If Scream Day refers to the Munch painting, I saw one of the several versions of it last year in Oslo. If anyone is actually going to scream, please wait until I leave the room. For registering on a website for work, I had to put down the name of my favorite actress and it took me a while to think of one.

I'd be OK with vegetarian eggplant lasagna (btw, I think that all eggplants are vegetarian), but wouldn't it be like eggplant parmesan? No cucumber-melon concotions, please. I would probably like the wine. I haven't been to Puerto Quetzal but you could probably have guessed that.

Today I've been working on a publication that was supposed to go to press today, but from the cooperation that I'm (not) getting, you would never know that. Dinner tonight will be the last of the not-beefaroni, plus zucchini.

feedmeperson.thumb.jpg.94938e13d1447dee1e9f3ea2436a26e3.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 12

So I guess the nest is the dark area on the right side of the first photo?  Good job of hiding it.  But those roaming cats that @ktbraun mentioned could still be a problem, even with the thorns.  Hope the babies make it!

Look at the top right side of the rose and go down a bit. Zoom in and she's on the nest. She has an orange beak.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Good morning,

The sun is trying to peak out, hinting at a much needed warming for later in the week, and perfect timing, I need to get the plants moved outdoors and work on our gardening.

Dad is fine, we had some kidney related itching challenges last week that kept me away from the daily, but I spoke with the doctor this morning and he's approved an increase in the Gabapentin, so crossing fingers.  PT was out last Wednesday and Dad surprised us both with his ability to get to the edge of the bed, but standing and putting weight on his legs caused too much pain, at least we now know what we're working with.

I think cruising is looking less likely for this year, there's too few itineraries that we're interested in, so we're going to focus on 2024. 

Thoughts/Prayers to all, I haven't yet read through so I'm going to do that in a moment.  

Have a great day!

~Bruno

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thanks all!  Genocide is so senseless and Terrible we must not forget.  
@cat shepard glad you like the new fridge!  What kind did you get? 

@cruising sister panic attacks are so strange, I think it’s our bodies way of telling us we just cannot.  Happened to me only once as I was about to board a 747, needless to say DH had to go onto the tarmac to get our luggage offloaded.   Our DD had recently been in an accident and I couldn’t leave.  

We had wonderful aurora last night, it was cloudy but we went for a drive and we’re well rewarded.  Some really looked like celestial beings,  it was truly wonderful. 

IMG_2225.jpeg

IMG_1271.jpeg

IMG_2224.jpeg

IMG_2204.jpeg

IMG_2203.jpeg

IMG_2232.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 3

@Cruising-along Sounds like we have similar plans for our "heat wave" later this week.  So I'm going to have to go from heat, to air conditioning, and back to heat in less than a week, welcome to Washington!

@grapau27 We were 41 last week one day and they said it was the coldest April day in 125 years, so we sent it your way.

@dobiemom <waving>

@dfish I think this is the strangest weather year in recent memory

@StLouisCruisers LOVE the celebration tree!  I've been looking for seasonal decorating ideas now that Easter is over and it's too early for the patriotic summer stuff.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2