Beware Carnivals Travel Insurance AON

skrufy

Just a warning to anyone who is thinking of using Carnivals travel insurance. This company is a rip off. Filed a legit medical claim for $3,800 dollars and got back $198.00.. Looked at the reviews, 99.9% are having to wait months for a settlement, if they even get one then.I read many reviews that say the same thing over and over,  this company is a rip off. Beware stay away from  Carnival travel insurance 

Edited by skrufy
Addition
  • Like 3

If you want to know how insurance works, just watch The Rainmaker. There are so many things that have to be done exact and if one is wrong they can deny. They will delay and delay and delay. They will even go to the point where you consult an attorney. Spend your time and money that will exceed the settlement. They have years and the question is whether you have the same amount of time. It's not like an injury claim in a car accident. They don't have to cover pain and suffering, just their portion of the bill. If you get your $3,800, an attorney will take at least $3,000 for their time. Then you question if it was worth $800 for all of the time you put into it. 

Get good insurance if you are going to get it, not the junk the cruise lines offer.

• Like 3

No, any cruise lines insurance thru AON has a lot to be desired. There are a couple of benefits to the cruise line insurance, but more downsides in my opinion.

Yes 99.9% have to wait. There is a backlog of claims for every travel insurance company, not only AON. And if you read reviews, 99% of them will be negative. Why is that? Happy customers don't write reviews. Why are 99% of the reviews unhappy? 99% of them didn't file for a "Covered" claim.

I'm willing to bet that's what happened here. I'm not saying there wasn't a medical event. I'm betting, either the claim wasn't filed properly, or that what was claimed was not a covered event.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, pnwredhead said:

Do you have any travel insurance places you would trust to go through? 

tripinsurancestore.com

They have 9 companies they work with to help find a policy that covers what you are most concerned about.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I use GeoBlue www.geobluetravelinsurance.com. 

Just a side note.

I have heard good things about geoblue. In fact, Steve does work with geoblue at tripinsurancestore.

However, the poster who asked the question is from Seattle. GeoBlue cannot be sold to residents of Washington state.

Edited by klfrodo

Just now, klfrodo said:

Just a side note.

I have heard good things about geoblue. In fact, Steve does work with geoblue at tripinsurancestore.

However, the poster who asked the question is from Seattle. GeoBlue cannot be sold to residents of Washington state.

Did not know, thanks for the heads up!👍

2 minutes ago, FloridaMomKW said:

I go through AARP for my travel insurance. They have different companies to choose from, and I believe they are cheaper than Carnival insurance.  But then again, I have not had to use it……

It's not hard to beat the cruise line's insurance price - but just make sure any policy you buy covers what you need. For example, Carnival's insurance includes a cancel for any reason (CFAR) provision that is rare (and fairly expensive) through third parties. However, Carnival's insurance does not cover pre-existing medical conditions. So there are trade offs and things to consider with any policy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

It's not hard to beat the cruise line's insurance price - but just make sure any policy you buy covers what you need.

Actually for us older folks it's the best deal you can get price wise - very hard to beat since it doesn't take age into account, only price of cruise fare.

• Like 2

Just now, balcony bound said:

Actually for us older folks it's the best deal you can get price wise - very hard to beat since it doesn't take age into account, only price of cruise fare.

Again, as long as it covers what you need, sure. But if you need to cancel due to a pre-existing medical condition for example, you learn quickly why it is so affordable when you get the "claim denied" letter.

10 hours ago, skrufy said:

Just a warning to anyone who is thinking of using Carnivals travel insurance. This company is a rip off. Filed a legit medical claim for $3,800 dollars and got back $198.00.. Looked at the reviews, 99.9% are having to wait months for a settlement, if they even get one then.I read many reviews that say the same thing over and over,  this company is a rip off. Beware stay away from  Carnival travel insurance 

Do you have a recommendation of a policy that would cover your claim?  Did you file a medical claim or a travel claim?  If it was a travel claim, did the cancel for any reason cover you?  Did you check with you credit card for coverage?

Thanks for the reminder that just buying insurance is not good enough, one needs to buy the insurance that covers what you want covered.

6 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Again, as long as it covers what you need, sure. But if you need to cancel due to a pre-existing medical condition for example, you learn quickly why it is so affordable when you get the "claim denied" letter.

AND, coverage begins at midnight the day of the cruise and ends at midnight the day the cruise ship returns to port. Many of us travel a few days pre-cruise and return home a few days post cruise, leaving many with no coverage.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Carnival's insurance includes cancel for ANY reason, so canceling for anything pre-existing is not an issue.  They are light on the actual medical coverage though. 

A lot depends on how much you pay for your cruise.  

Whenever I book a cheap or free cruise, I don’t care if I get back any money for cancellation.  

It is then when I buy carnival insurance because I just want flown to the US for treatment if I need it.  

However, if I spend a lot on a cruise, that’s the time I use Travel Guard.  They reimbursed me every penny and very quickly when I broke my foot and wrist only 2 months prior to sailing.   Great customer service. 

Always love insurance threads….ligit claim only $198 paid.  Need WAY more detail to determine anything other than we know the OP is not happy.  Also love people who think the ONLY reason to get insurance is when the trip costs a lot.  In actuality, the majority of claims are for medical and the issues that result vs recovering cruise costs.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I’m attempting to contact AON to find out the reason for basically denying my claim. I had two cancer operations in March but the cruise was booked in March 2022 and the cancer was not detected until August of 2022 so it could not have been denied for a pre existing condition. 

• Like 1

I remember when I first got travel Insurance. I was so proud of myself. I figured I was finally being a responsible adult. I just knew that know I was secure with travel insurance, all was right with the world. If something (anything) happened, all I had to do was call them up and BAM, it's fully paid for or the issue is resolved,,, back to my vacation.

Fortunately, I never had to file a claim to learn that I was mistaken. I found the insurance board here on CC and began to learn a ton of great information. Cruise/Travel Insurance - Cruise Critic Community

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Preexisting conditions are covered when insurance is purchased within 14 days of deposit

5 minutes ago, skrufy said:

I’m attempting to contact AON to find out the reason for basically denying my claim. I had two cancer operations in March but the cruise was booked in March 2022 and the cancer was not detected until August of 2022 so it could not have been denied for a pre existing condition. 

Pre-existing conditions coverage is complicated. Here’s how medically stable and the lookback period fit together:

• Any medical condition (no matter how minor) existing in the 60 to 365 day Lookback Period is defined as a Pre-Existing Condition if you’ve had symptoms, it’s been treated, consulted on or had a change of medication during those 60 to 365 days prior to the travel insurance policy’s effective date.
  • A Pre-Existing Medical Condition includes any condition that’s been tested, treated, examined, consulted with, received advice on or had symptoms of. This also includes any adjustments or changes in any prescriptions or medication. If a pre-existing condition exists, it must be “stable”.“Stable”, in respect to www.TripInsuranceStore.com’s travel insurance plans, means that the person with the pre-existing condition:
    • Has not already taken a turn for the worse;
    • Is not in a state where any changes are foreseen, known, or expected that could cause the person to “take a turn for the worse”. This varies from company to company.

The above copy and paste is from this site:

How Travel Insurance Pre-Existing Medical Condition Coverage Works « Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

9 minutes ago, skrufy said:

Did you purchase insurance within 14 days of deposit?

8 minutes ago, skrufy said:

Hopefully it is a matter of getting the proper documentation from your doctor.

We had to cancel once, the day before our cruise as DH had to have emergency surgery the day of embarkation.  His surgeon was also going on a cruise the day after and he was extremely cooperative with the documentation and signatures we needed as he totally understood the situation.  It still took a bit of time with the insurance company but we did get the reimbursement for everything that wasn't reimbursed by the cruise line (taxes, port fees, etc.)

9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Always love insurance threads….ligit claim only $198 paid.  Need WAY more detail to determine anything other than we know the OP is not happy.  Also love people who think the ONLY reason to get insurance is when the trip costs a lot.  In actuality, the majority of claims are for medical and the issues that result vs recovering cruise costs.

Jimbo5544, we have been cruising for 20 years and ALWAYS get insurance for our cruises. Yes my claim is for medical and it was not a pre existing condition. It’s a legitimate  claim. I was diagnosed with cancer months after we booked the cruise, and had two operations in March of this year. All the paper work showed it. 

1 minute ago, skrufy said:

Jimbo5544, we have been cruising for 20 years and ALWAYS get insurance for our cruises. Yes my claim is for medical and it was not a pre existing condition. It’s a legitimate  claim. I was diagnosed with cancer months after we booked the cruise, and had two operations in March of this year. All the paper work showed it. 

First off, hope your health improves.  My post was when ther eis so little information listed, the only determination anyone could see was you were venting (which is fine).  Insurance is something you purchase hoping never to use.  And their reason for denial was?