Beware Carnivals Travel Insurance AON

skrufy

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Did you purchase insurance within 14 days of deposit?

We have always chosen the insurance when we book . But we never pay off the cruise until final payment comes around.

7 minutes ago, skrufy said:

We have always chosen the insurance when we book . But we never pay off the cruise until final payment comes around.

If you mean insurance, that is fine but you must realize that it will NOT include any preexisting conditions.  It has nothing to do with when you pay the cruise off.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Pre-existing conditions coverage is complicated. Here’s how medically stable and the lookback period fit together:

• Any medical condition (no matter how minor) existing in the 60 to 365 day Lookback Period is defined as a Pre-Existing Condition if you’ve had symptoms, it’s been treated, consulted on or had a change of medication during those 60 to 365 days prior to the travel insurance policy’s effective date.
  • A Pre-Existing Medical Condition includes any condition that’s been tested, treated, examined, consulted with, received advice on or had symptoms of. This also includes any adjustments or changes in any prescriptions or medication. If a pre-existing condition exists, it must be “stable”.“Stable”, in respect to www.TripInsuranceStore.com’s travel insurance plans, means that the person with the pre-existing condition:
    • Has not already taken a turn for the worse;
    • Is not in a state where any changes are foreseen, known, or expected that could cause the person to “take a turn for the worse”. This varies from company to company.

The above copy and paste is from this site:

How Travel Insurance Pre-Existing Medical Condition Coverage Works « Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

Thanks for the info. My condition was diagnosed months after booking the cruise

1 hour ago, balcony bound said:

Carnival's insurance includes cancel for ANY reason, so canceling for anything pre-existing is not an issue.  They are light on the actual medical coverage though. 

The CFAR provision is only for a 75% FCC as I recall - NOT a refund. The CFAR provision of the insurance is underwritten by Carnival, not AON.

10 minutes ago, skrufy said:

Thanks for the info. My condition was diagnosed months after booking the cruise

You can always file a formal complaint with the State Insurance Commission in the state in which you live. They are the folks who regulate who and what can be sold in your state. They will investigate your claim and get back to you. 

I've had success following this method. Just google search Insurance Commissioner for (Your State of residence)

10 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The CFAR provision is only for a 75% FCC as I recall - NOT a refund. The CFAR provision of the insurance is underwritten by Carnival, not AON.

Not exactly true.  And the insurance is underwritten by Nationwide

TRIP CANCELLATION

(*Cancellation Fee Waiver Program non-insurance feature provided by Carnival Cruise Line)

In life, you never really know what may happen… but you can rely on the Vacation Protection trip cancellation. If you need to cancel for some of the most common reasons (severe weather, illness, etc.) you'll get 100% of the cost of your trip back, in cash. If you need to cancel for any reason not listed in the plan — any reason at all — you'll get 75% back in a Future Cruise Credit Certificate.

vacation-protection-section2-desktop-mobile

TRAVEL INSURANCE2

(Underwritten by Nationwide®)
Sail through your vacation with less to worry about.

• Trip Interruption: Up to total Trip cost reimbursement if you must start your vacation late or need to come home early due to illness, injury and more.
  • Baggage: Up to $1,500 if your stuff is lost, stolen or damaged, and up to $500 reimbursement if you have to buy necessary items while your bags are delayed 24+ hours
  • Medical: Up to $10,000 if you get sick or injured on your vacation
  • Emergency Evacuation: Up to $30,000 for emergency medical evacuation and repatriation (services provided by LiveTravel)

vacation-protection-section3-desktop-mobile

24/7 WORLDWIDE TRAVEL ASSISTANCE

(Non-insurance services provided by LiveTravel)

Need help while you travel? Assistance is there for you, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week… anywhere in the world.

So it seems to be a travel cancellation claim for medical reasons.  Did you have documentation from a doctor stating that you should not travel?  There has been a report in the past where someone cancelled with a broken leg but the doctor would not state they could not travel and the refund claim (not CFAR) was denied.  The person filing the claim thought it was very obvious that they would not enjoy the trip plus would entail extra efforts and pain.

also remember that claims with any insurance take a long time and often go back and forth.  Keep all documentation.  Not they way it should work but the way it is with all insurance in general.  Our recent claim took 4 months.

Edited by happy cruzer

5 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

So it seems to be a travel cancellation claim for medical reasons.  Did you have documentation from a doctor stating that you should not travel?  There has been a report in the past where someone cancelled with a broken leg but the doctor would not state they could not travel and the refund claim (not CFAR) was denied.  The person filing the claim thought it was very obvious that they would not enjoy the trip plus would entail extra efforts and pain.

also remember that claims with any insurance take a long time and often go back and forth.  Keep all documentation.  Not they way it should work but the way it is with all insurance in general.  Our recent claim took 4 months.

Travel insurance is a whole new animal sonce covid, that said, that does NOT make it a bad decision to acquire.

24 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Yes had doctor state that I should not travel. My claim was closed 5 days after filing. Before I do anything I must find out why my claim was basically denied

2 minutes ago, skrufy said:

Yes had doctor state that I should not travel. My claim was closed 5 days after filing.

5 days 🫣

That is amazingly fast even in the good times.     Something is off kilter. I too would be doing some additional research.

1 minute ago, klfrodo said:

5 days 🫣

That is amazingly fast even in the good times.     Something is off kilter. I too would be doing some additional research.

1 minute ago, klfrodo said:

5 days 🫣

Yes, something is not right

15 minutes ago, skrufy said:

Yes, something is not right

So here is a thought, and just a thought.  Your previous post said you always get insurance when you book, but do not pay off the cruise until final payment.

I am wondering...... I know that you can add insurance and not pay for it (was a whole thread some of us were commenting on recently).  So, if in the beginning you just put down the base deposit and not also enough funds to pay the insurance in full maybe - depending on when you did pay on it  could be a timing issue?

I wondered myself about that when I did a booking and we added insurance a couple days later.  I still only had my deposit down and the amount of insurance showed as "owed" but my PVP told me not to worry about it, it wasn't due until final payment with the rest of the monies.  I did make a payment pretty quick which covered the insurance +more, but in the back of my mind I was thinking....

So, if I "add" it and don't pay it until months from now... what impact does that have on the insurance itself?  Quite a quagmire. 

15 minutes ago, wemjam said:

So here is a thought, and just a thought.  Your previous post said you always get insurance when you book, but do not pay off the cruise until final payment.

I am wondering...... I know that you can add insurance and not pay for it (was a whole thread some of us were commenting on recently).  So, if in the beginning you just put down the base deposit and not also enough funds to pay the insurance in full maybe - depending on when you did pay on it  could be a timing issue?

I wondered myself about that when I did a booking and we added insurance a couple days later.  I still only had my deposit down and the amount of insurance showed as "owed" but my PVP told me not to worry about it, it wasn't due until final payment with the rest of the monies.  I did make a payment pretty quick which covered the insurance +more, but in the back of my mind I was thinking....

So, if I "add" it and don't pay it until months from now... what impact does that have on the insurance itself?  Quite a quagmire. 

Hmmm, I usually purchase my travel insurance a day or so before we leave.  I didn't think my timing would have anything to do with coverage, specifically the medical evacuation part which is why I get it.  I know if I bought it right after I booked my cruise I would get "cancel at any time" insurance but I haven't done that.  Interesting point wemjam👍

4 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Hmmm, I usually purchase my travel insurance a day or so before we leave.  I didn't think my timing would have anything to do with coverage, specifically the medical evacuation part which is why I get it.  I know if I bought it right after I booked my cruise I would get "cancel at any time" insurance but I haven't done that.  Interesting point wemjam👍

Right?  Got me thinking too.  Often I will add it much later as well.

However if you add it at the start (within like 14 days as someone else quoted), but don't PAY for it until later does this exempt them from payment based on preexisting conditions?  Or, if you don't add it until later does that exclude things as well.  Or any such factors?  I actually printed the policy once so I have it, but who has the time to sit and read 80 pages (and better yet completely 100% understand them all)?  I do remember going through and reading much of the key points just to determine coverages, etc.

8 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Right?  Got me thinking too.  Often I will add it much later as well.

However if you add it at the start (within like 14 days as someone else quoted), but don't PAY for it until later does this exempt them from payment based on preexisting conditions?  Or, if you don't add it until later does that exclude things as well.  Or any such factors?  I actually printed the policy once so I have it, but who has the time to sit and read 80 pages (and better yet completely 100% understand them all)?  I do remember going through and reading much of the key points just to determine coverages, etc.

Yup, the boilerplate blah blah blah stupefies almost everyone. I print out what the page says I get if something goes wrong, amount of medical coverage, evac, dental and figure if it's sent from the insurance company then that should be what they pony up if needed.  So far, I have never needed to use it.  Yay me! 

We usually get outside insurance, but a few years back I did get Carnival's insurance and had zero issues when it came to filing a claim. That was the second time I had to do so (first was using a policy found through squaremouth) and the process was quick and easy. Had to do with an unexpected illness. Nothing preexisting. Claim was processed and fully paid inside of 4 or 5 weeks. So sorry for your troubles. No fun.

3 hours ago, klfrodo said:

AND, coverage begins at midnight the day of the cruise and ends at midnight the day the cruise ship returns to port. Many of us travel a few days pre-cruise and return home a few days post cruise, leaving many with no coverage.

This is important.  We always fly into port the night before and if something happened with our flight, we wouldn't be covered by Carnival's insurance.  That's one of the reasons why we book through a third party company.  The good ones have filters on their search engines so that you can get exactly the coverage you want - as well as price comparisons among companies.

I had a claim in 2021 on a non-cruise vacation because I tested positive for Covid and was not allowed back into the United States.  It took a couple of months (most likely due the volume of claims during the pandemic), but I got reimbursed for nearly everything - including a walk-up plane fare from Europe to the U.S.

3 hours ago, skrufy said:

I’m attempting to contact AON to find out the reason for basically denying my claim. I had two cancer operations in March but the cruise was booked in March 2022 and the cancer was not detected until August of 2022 so it could not have been denied for a pre existing condition. 

Hope you are doing well now!

1 hour ago, calbred01 said:

1 hour ago, calbred01 said:

Thank you for the kind words. Doing well, hard to get around and some imitating pain. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, klfrodo said:

No, any cruise lines insurance thru AON has a lot to be desired. There are a couple of benefits to the cruise line insurance, but more downsides in my opinion.

Yes 99.9% have to wait. There is a backlog of claims for every travel insurance company, not only AON. And if you read reviews, 99% of them will be negative. Why is that? Happy customers don't write reviews. Why are 99% of the reviews unhappy? 99% of them didn't file for a "Covered" claim.

I'm willing to bet that's what happened here. I'm not saying there wasn't a medical event. I'm betting, either the claim wasn't filed properly, or that what was claimed was not a covered event.

Wanna bet. The claim was filed properly, my claim was supposed to have been covered. Have not gotten an explanation from AON yet. I won’t rule out what you have suggested happened

6 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

First off, hope your health improves.  My post was when ther eis so little information listed, the only determination anyone could see was you were venting (which is fine).  Insurance is something you purchase hoping never to use.  And their reason for denial was?

Actually jimbo the thing that bothers me most is there’s no explanation given to me by AON with the decision. 

6 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

First off, hope your health improves.  My post was when ther eis so little information listed, the only determination anyone could see was you were venting (which is fine).  Insurance is something you purchase hoping never to use.  And their reason for denial was?

Thanks for the kind words jimbo regarding my health. It’s been a long three months but I’m eating there

15 minutes ago, skrufy said:

Wanna bet. The claim was filed properly, my claim was supposed to have been covered. Have not gotten an explanation from AON yet. I won’t rule out what you have suggested happened

While I won't argue what I originally wrote as post #2 or #3 in this thread, you should notice that as you provided more details later in the thread, I have provided you with support and/or options to assist you in finding out just what AON is thinking.

Receiving an automatic denial within 5 days of submission is unheard of. Especially in these days where it takes 3 months just for AON or any travel insurance adjuster to acknowledge receiving a claim. Something is not right.

Again, I would look to your states insurance commissioner for assistance with this claim. That's their job. To help their constituents who voted them in.

Again, I don't know the complete details of your claim, and it's really none of our business, but the first red flag I see is the 5 day turn around for denial.

Yes, the 5 day denial is strange.  When did you actually pay for the insurance?  At the early time of deposit or at final payment?  If you paid the insurance premium at final, perhaps they are saying that you are claiming a pre-existing condition.  But hopefully CFAR will still provide you some coverage.  Please let us know how this plays out, and hope you get a good result.

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Yes, the 5 day denial is strange.  When did you actually pay for the insurance?  At the early time of deposit or at final payment?  If you paid the insurance premium at final, perhaps they are saying that you are claiming a pre-existing condition.  But hopefully CFAR will still provide you some coverage.  Please let us know how this plays out, and hope you get a good result.

Can you tell me how CFAR works. Do I contact someone? Paid at final payment time.