If you like Infinite balconies, why?

AliceS

7 hours ago, Mark_T said:

This...

... and this...

...is why we will not be sailing on the 'E' class ships.

With the way the Retreat prices have been heading it just doesn't make sense any more, we'd rather cruise 2-3x as often in a real balcony cabin on 'S' class ships  and treat the speciality dining as our MDR. (... or possibly MSC, trying Yacht Club in June).

We've sailed in the YC twice now (Seaside and Meraviglia) and have a B2B on Seascape in September. It's a very nice experience. What ship will you be on?

6 minutes ago, jules815 said:

We were originally booked in a IV room for the April 2024 transatlantic on Ascent. Since we'll be on the ship for almost 2 weeks with lots of sea days, I didn't want to take the risk of not liking this style of stateroom. There were a few SV's available for our sailing so I grabbed one on deck 11. Suites at this time are outrageous. We're actually really looking forward to the SV. Have read nothing but positive things about this location.

What’s a SV?

8 hours ago, the penguins said:

Window down, blind up and no Aircon doesn't sound ideal.

Also curious how long did you spend each day relaxing in the "comfortable, low backed chairs" that are a feature of the the Infinite Verandah? 

This is just our opinion.  Window down was only on some nights when it wasn't too hot.  I agree, that the chairs are not comfortable and the infinite balcony isn't for everyone.  We don't spend a lot of time in our room.  Happy cruising!

🙂 Funny...
The question was simple and clearly only directed at people who like IVs.
All those who don´t like the IV could simply ignore the topic. But no, many can´t resist the urge to spread their negative feelings about the IVs. Unrequested missionary work... 🙂

We quite enjoy the IVs. It´s nice to lover the window and hear and breathe the ocean while not having to sit out on the balcony - which I hardly ever do. Plus, it offeres a nice breeze and relaxing sound at night.

That being said... we don´t like them less or more than a regular balcony. If an IV comes with the ship fine, if it doesn´t also good. But we love E class... that makes it easy.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

🙂 Funny...
The question was simple and clearly only directed at people who like IVs.
All those who don´t like the IV could simply ignore the topic. But no, many can´t resist the urge to spread their negative feelings about the IVs. Unrequested missionary work... 🙂

I shared both good and bad but we all know that this question/thread begged for this to happen ... just like pointing out the obvious is irresistible 🙂  Funny.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, oceanbeau10 said:

We loved it!  Some nights we slept with the window down.  The room felt larger, and we used our balcony frequently.  We would definitely book an infinite balcony again!  

How could you have used your balcony?  You didn't have one

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Infinite balconies have really forced me to reconsider other options for travel.  I love Celebrity (turned Zenith not long ago after 70+ cruises), and each winter season now that we're retired we book multiple cruises.  This year we have a total of 8 cruises booked/taken.  Next year we have 2.  

Why?  First, we spend a lot of time on our balcony so would only consider suite class or SV on E class ships that have an actual balcony.  Have you priced them recently?!?!  We cannot afford to spend $5,000+ (and often quite a bit of +) to book the lowest level suite.  Maybe for people who are rich, or who only splurge once or twice a year.  But not for us.

To those who say there is a choice, I beg to differ as well, at least to an extent.  I desperately tried to find decent cruises to fill next Feb and Mar in the Caribbean (our 2 cruises are B2B in January) and almost all the options were E class.  The limited S or M class sailings had either itineraries that were repeats of our January sailings, fewer than 7 nights,  or were either already sold out or very, very expensive for the AQ rooms we prefer if we can't justify the suite price.  

So instead of our usual 4-6 cruises in February thru April, we are likely going to spend time in Arizona or Florida.  All largely because of infinite balconies.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jules815 said:

We've sailed in the YC twice now (Seaside and Meraviglia) and have a B2B on Seascape in September. It's a very nice experience. What ship will you be on?

Divina, just a short cruise mostly down the west cost of Italy, but enough to see if we like it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jules815 said:

We were originally booked in a IV room for the April 2024 transatlantic on Ascent. Since we'll be on the ship for almost 2 weeks with lots of sea days, I didn't want to take the risk of not liking this style of stateroom. There were a few SV's available for our sailing so I grabbed one on deck 11. Suites at this time are outrageous. We're actually really looking forward to the SV. Have read nothing but positive things about this location.

Have taken a couple of E class cruises with a SV and we absolutely love it. 

• Like 2

They can call it a veranda (it's not), they can call it a balcony (it's not) or they could call it a ham sandwich (it's not.) It's also not a deck or a lanai or a lean-to. It's a part of the stateroom with a big window. No thanks. I'll take CC or Aqua on S-class or M-class ships every time. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, oceanbeau10 said:

This is just our opinion.  Window down was only on some nights when it wasn't too hot.  I agree, that the chairs are not comfortable and the infinite balcony isn't for everyone.  We don't spend a lot of time in our room.  Happy cruising!

Thank you for your honest comments. In short IV’s are good for people who like the idea of a balcony but don’t actually use it.

Poor for people use the balcony for extended periods as a place to relax. We are firmly in the second group which means IV’s are a non starter so we will be sticking to S class.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

So instead of our usual 4-6 cruises in February thru April, we are likely going to spend time in Arizona or Florida.  All largely because of infinite balconies.

Out of curiosity, was another cruise line not a viable option?

• Like 1

I think they’re great for hot/humid or cooler cruises. Summer cruises in the Med and Caribbean can be very hot and humid, and Alaska can often be too chilly or wet to sit outside.  Having a huge picture window that can be opened sounds lovely to me in these two scenarios.  

I've said it before on here: it won't make any difference for the new people that have never sailed in a cabin with a true balcony, they just won't know any different.  People that have had and like balconies are aging out, basically every day, so it's just a matter of time and there won't be any IV discussions.  It just another change with cruising, and changes with cruising have always happened over time.  Other cruise companies are doing it also, it's about cost savings.  

• Like 1

I do enjoy the Infinite Veranda. Semantics notwithstanding, it is a new variation on an old theme, and I do believe that the IV is more versatile than the standard balcony cabin. Different, no doubt, and it tested my adaptability, which passed with flying colors I might add. Call it what you like, IV does not work for everyone and given the vernacular in which many folks speak, the debasement of this particular cabin category will certainly continue. 

So, for those of you who continue to eschew the Infinite Veranda, your abstinence from same enables me, and a few others, to have unincumbered access for our choice of cabin. And when we sail away with all IV's full of the "cool" folks, our thoughts will go to the "others" onboard and that they too may feel some semblance of cool.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mark_T said:

is why we will not be sailing on the 'E' class ships.

With the way the Retreat prices have been heading it just doesn't make sense any more, we'd rather cruise 2-3x as often in a real balcony cabin on 'S' class ships  and treat the speciality dining as our MDR. (... or possibly MSC, trying Yacht Club in June).

I have stuck to my guns about booking an e-class ship because of the limited balcony rooms but have decided to give it a go after I read about the porthole balcony room.  While I'd prefer a suite, I'm not paying what they are asking for a sky suite on any ship...much less E class.  But the PV category is intriguing...couple that with Elite perks, and I can forego the suite...I think 🤞🏻.

PS...I think you'll be very pleased with the Yacht Club!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, rmalbers said:

I've said it before on here: it won't make any difference for the new people that have never sailed in a cabin with a true balcony, they just won't know any different.  People that have had and like balconies are aging out, basically every day, so it's just a matter of time and there won't be any IV discussions.  It just another change with cruising, and changes with cruising have always happened over time.  Other cruise companies are doing it also, it's about cost savings.  

Which other Ocean are changing to IV cabins?

Viking, the line with the most experience of this type of cabin, (widely used on its River cruise ships) chose not to have them on its Ocean going ships.

More concerning for Celebrity must be if having tried IV cabins most cruisers won't book that class again and will change to X's other ships or worse to a competitors ship.

Interestingly X's TV adverts in the UK only feature suites and there is never a mention of IV cabins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

Out of curiosity, was another cruise line not a viable option?

It could be.    But after finally reaching Zenith after literally 30+ years it is very difficult to sail elsewhere and miss all the nice benefits, not to mention the cost savings of the benefits.  I also really like the Celebrity vibe so to speak, although that seems to be changing very rapidly post-Covid.  Like her or not whatever LLP did to bring in younger crowds sure seems to be working, at least on the ships I've sailed since restart.  I don't like smaller ships like the luxury lines (if I could afford them) as I am prone to seasickness.  The only other options I would consider at this point are Princess or HAL (Royal only if sailing with younger family members).  But again, costs me a lot more when I consider drink packages, internet, laundry, etc..  But it may come to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mauidiver said:

I think they’re great for hot/humid or cooler cruises. Summer cruises in the Med and Caribbean can be very hot and humid, and Alaska can often be too chilly or wet to sit outside.  Having a huge picture window that can be opened sounds lovely to me in these two scenarios.  

Really? When it's hot and humid, I want my A/C. 🥵

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rmalbers said:

Aging out?   Wow!   No other line has Infinite Balconies!   No one.   Going on the Equinox with 3 generations in May….they will all know what a balcony looks and feels like.   This particular cabin design just isn’t for everyone and Celebrity has bet the farm on it.   That worries me because I think that Celebrity has weathered the Covid storm the best.   My post was for someone to tell me why they love the Infinite Balcony and you say that I might just be ‘aging out’?   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

It could be.    But after finally reaching Zenith after literally 30+ years it is very difficult to sail elsewhere and miss all the nice benefits, not to mention the cost savings of the benefits.  I also really like the Celebrity vibe so to speak, although that seems to be changing very rapidly post-Covid.  Like her or not whatever LLP did to bring in younger crowds sure seems to be working, at least on the ships I've sailed since restart.  I don't like smaller ships like the luxury lines (if I could afford them) as I am prone to seasickness.  The only other options I would consider at this point are Princess or HAL (Royal only if sailing with younger family members).  But again, costs me a lot more when I consider drink packages, internet, laundry, etc..  But it may come to that.

Celebrity has weathered Covid the best…..just not into these cabins?   

• Like 1