Cruise Air Question

MichelleR1963

I hoping I might get some guidance... We are taking our first trip to from the states to England and getting on a cruise in August 2023.  The cruise departs on Tuesday 8/8.  I requested a 2 day deviation to spend additional time in England pre cruise.  We took the BOGO Cruise Air, but will not know our flight info until we are 40 days out.  I have chosen a hotel, (not yet booked) and was thinking that I would need 2 nights, but now I am wondering if I will only need one because of the varied flight times I've seen while I've been looking online.  ( I'm beginning to think I should have selected my own flights and paid for them, but live and learn!)

Thank you

1 hour ago, MichelleR1963 said:

I hoping I might get some guidance... We are taking our first trip to from the states to England and getting on a cruise in August 2023.  The cruise departs on Tuesday 8/8.  I requested a 2 day deviation to spend additional time in England pre cruise.  We took the BOGO Cruise Air, but will not know our flight info until we are 40 days out.  I have chosen a hotel, (not yet booked) and was thinking that I would need 2 nights, but now I am wondering if I will only need one because of the varied flight times I've seen while I've been looking online.  ( I'm beginning to think I should have selected my own flights and paid for them, but live and learn!)

Thank you

There are differences from one cruise line to the next on how they book airline tickets.  I would assume the "normal" flight would be leaving the US on Monday and arriving into London Tuesday morning.  So a two day deviation would mean departing Saturday to arrive Sunday morning.   However it is hard to say for certain.  40 days out you should have the info available. 

2 hours ago, MichelleR1963 said:

Thank you

Are you paying  a fee to deviate?

If so some lines will let you choose the flight you want

I would check with the cruise line  so you  be prepared

7 hours ago, MichelleR1963 said:

I have chosen a hotel, (not yet booked) and was thinking that I would need 2 nights, but now I am wondering if I will only need one because of the varied flight times I've seen while I've been looking online.

Hotel bookings can be very flexible. So one answer is to make two hotel bookings.

You could make a booking for two nights and another booking for one night. When you know how many nights you need, cancel the one that doesn't apply.

Or you could make a booking for the first night and a booking for the second night. If you discover that you only need one night (which would be the second night), cancel the booking for the first night.

To make this work, you would have to forego some of the savings that you might get from pre-paid non-refundable bookings. However, what you've saved on the air fare will probably more than make up for the additional cost of flexible hotel bookings.

The second alternative would allow you to make a cheaper pre-paid non-refundable booking for the second night and a flexible booking for the first night only. When you know that the timing of your outbound flight means that you do need two nights, then check whether a cheaper pre-paid non-refundable rate is still available for the first night. If it is, then cancel the flexible booking and rebook at the cheaper rate. Either way, let the hotel know in advance that you're staying for two nights on two separate bookings; most hotels will do what they can to make sure you don't have to move rooms (as it's easier for the hotel too if you don't move).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like you've booked NCL's free air promo?  😬   You might know the flight  40 days out, maybe a little less.  

Who knows what you'll get, but it might be terrible with several connections.  I would follow Globaliser's advice and book a couple cancellable combinations now and then adjust when you can. 

With NCL's promo free air, you CANNOT choose anything.  (Well maybe seats....)

3 hours ago, megr1125 said:

Sounds like you've booked NCL's free air promo?  😬   You might know the flight  40 days out, maybe a little less.  

Who knows what you'll get, but it might be terrible with several connections.  I would follow Globaliser's advice and book a couple cancellable combinations now and then adjust when you can. 

With NCL's promo free air, you CANNOT choose anything.  (Well maybe seats....)

We are using NCL's free air.  I will follow GLobaliser's suggestion in booking our hotel.  Thank you!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, em-sk said:

There are differences from one cruise line to the next on how they book airline tickets.  I would assume the "normal" flight would be leaving the US on Monday and arriving into London Tuesday morning.  So a two day deviation would mean departing Saturday to arrive Sunday morning.   However it is hard to say for certain.  40 days out you should have the info available. 

We are using NCL... I am hoping for the option to leave Saturday and arrive Sunday morning, which gives us more time to explore.  Time will tell..  I don't know if I'd book the air 'free' again..  It had mixed reviews and it's our first time using it. Thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Hotel bookings can be very flexible. So one answer is to make two hotel bookings.

You could make a booking for two nights and another booking for one night. When you know how many nights you need, cancel the one that doesn't apply.

Or you could make a booking for the first night and a booking for the second night. If you discover that you only need one night (which would be the second night), cancel the booking for the first night.

To make this work, you would have to forego some of the savings that you might get from pre-paid non-refundable bookings. However, what you've saved on the air fare will probably more than make up for the additional cost of flexible hotel bookings.

The second alternative would allow you to make a cheaper pre-paid non-refundable booking for the second night and a flexible booking for the first night only. When you know that the timing of your outbound flight means that you do need two nights, then check whether a cheaper pre-paid non-refundable rate is still available for the first night. If it is, then cancel the flexible booking and rebook at the cheaper rate. Either way, let the hotel know in advance that you're staying for two nights on two separate bookings; most hotels will do what they can to make sure you don't have to move rooms (as it's easier for the hotel too if you don't move).

Very good info... I appreciate it!

Most flights from the states to Europe are redeyes....leave one day and arrive the next.

If you didn't pay for the deviation, the cruise line would book you like that...leave the 7th and arrive on the 8th.  If you've requested a deviation of 2 days, it makes sense that they would plan for you to arrive 2 days prior to the 8th, or the 6th.  Most likely that will mean departing on a red eye on the 5th, but possibly could mean a daytime flight departing on the 6th but also arriving on the 6th, late.  Either way, you'd need 2 hotel rooms.  You book a refundable room on the safe side, but I'd feel pretty comfortable booking both nights if it was me, based on the logic above.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

If you didn't pay for the deviation,

They didn't pay for the deviation (NCL actually CREDITS $25 pp for requesting a deviation on their promotional air, look it up) but if they requested the deviation and the reservation reflects that then they should arrive 2 days pre-cruise.  However - there's a chance that arrival is an EVENING arrival.  While technically meeting the 2 days pre-cruise request, it's not exactly what was planned or expected.

21 minutes ago, hallux said:

if they requested the deviation and the reservation reflects that then they should arrive 2 days pre-cruise.  However - there's a chance that arrival is an EVENING arrival.  While technically meeting the 2 days pre-cruise request, it's not exactly what was planned or expected.

yes, as I said, they might arrive in the evening 2 days prior so wouldn't necessarily get two full days on the ground, but the question at hand was about needing a hotel for 1 night or 2.  If they arrive in the evening 2 days prior they still need a hotel that night (2 nights total)

We are using NCL... I am hoping for the option to leave Saturday and arrive Sunday morning, which gives us more time to explore.  Time will tell..  I don't know if I'd book the air 'free' again..  It had mixed reviews and it's our first time using it. Thanks!

If it was me I would make the hotel booking for two days.  But select an option where you change the booking up to a few days before arrival.   If it turns out to be different you can change the booking.

Most hotels have an option where you can cancel up to 24 hour before arrival.  The deeply discounted booking rates don't have that flexibility.

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

but possibly could mean a daytime flight departing on the 6th but also arriving on the 6th, late.

If OP is leaving from Myrtle Beach (the closest airport to their listed location), I am not sure they can get from there to London on the same day. Not sure there's any way to connect to any of the daytime London flights (2x JFK, 1x EWR, 1x IAD, 1x ORD) in time, so it's pretty much guaranteed to be an overnight. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone... I have booked a 2 night refundable stay at the Holiday Inn Southampton.  I wasn't about to stress over a few bucks..  I'm hoping for a red eye so we can have a much time as possible before the cruise departs. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 3:01 PM, MichelleR1963 said:

Thanks everyone... I have booked a 2 night refundable stay at the Holiday Inn Southampton.  I wasn't about to stress over a few bucks..  I'm hoping for a red eye so we can have a much time as possible before the cruise departs. 

the moment you get your air flights from NCL, go directly to the airlines website.  Register ( if you have never used them before). You can then choose your seats ( maybe even upgrade to more comfortable seats) and add baggage if needed ( fees may apply).  Pay very careful attention to the baggage weight/size requirements for checked baggage and carry on.  I always travel with a small hand held luggage scale and that keeps me in the required carry on weight limit.  Contact the airlines directly if you have any issues with your flights.  NCL just purchases the tickets for you, but the airlines will be in charge.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

the moment you get your air flights from NCL, go directly to the airlines website.  Register ( if you have never used them before). You can then choose your seats ( maybe even upgrade to more comfortable seats) and add baggage if needed ( fees may apply).  Pay very careful attention to the baggage weight/size requirements for checked baggage and carry on.  I always travel with a small hand held luggage scale and that keeps me in the required carry on weight limit.  Contact the airlines directly if you have any issues with your flights.  NCL just purchases the tickets for you, but the airlines will be in charge.  

Thank you for the info.  We have just under 100 days till the trip.  Can you elaborate on what kind of upgrade might be an option?  Also, I read a 'tip' to select the aisle and window seats and hope no one choses the middle seat.  Any thoughts on that?  

4 minutes ago, MichelleR1963 said:

Also, I read a 'tip' to select the aisle and window seats and hope no one choses the middle seat.  Any thoughts on that?  

These days  flights seem to be  full  so that strategy may backfire  & you will have a stranger in between you   then again you could have an empty seat

😈

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MichelleR1963 said:

Thank you for the info.  We have just under 100 days till the trip.  Can you elaborate on what kind of upgrade might be an option?  Also, I read a 'tip' to select the aisle and window seats and hope no one choses the middle seat.  Any thoughts on that?  

I flew LAX-Dubai using NCL BOGO air.  The tickets were for Emirates airlines.  I immediately logged onto the Emirates Air website, signed up for a frequent flyer account ( even though i will never fly them again..as far as I know).  After logging on, I paid to upgrade to emergency row seats ( go to seat guru to see a map of the seating plan for your plane configuration), and paid whatever baggage fees I needed to pay.  If you are flying a partner airline from any Frequent Flyer Program you may have, you can probably use your miles to upgrade to Premium class seat.  If you choose exit row, just make sure you, or your traveling partner do not have any mobility issues.   My partner had injured his knee and was using a cane for recovery, Emirates made us move to a different row.  They moved us to bulkhead, with no one sitting between us.  Hopefully your flight won't be full ( fingers crossed), and then you can move to an empty row after the doors close. 

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Also, I read a 'tip' to select the aisle and window seats and hope no one choses the middle seat.

These days  flights seem to be  full  so that strategy may backfire  & you will have a stranger in between you   then again you could have an empty seat

If you're in a 3-seat row and someone is in the middle seat between you, you can offer them their choice of window or aisle seat. It's almost unheard of for that passenger to refuse to move from the middle seat and to insist on keeping you separated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I flew LAX-Dubai using NCL BOGO air.  The tickets were for Emirates airlines.  I immediately logged onto the Emirates Air website, signed up for a frequent flyer account ( even though i will never fly them again..as far as I know).  After logging on, I paid to upgrade to emergency row seats ( go to seat guru to see a map of the seating plan for your plane configuration), and paid whatever baggage fees I needed to pay.  If you are flying a partner airline from any Frequent Flyer Program you may have, you can probably use your miles to upgrade to Premium class seat.  If you choose exit row, just make sure you, or your traveling partner do not have any mobility issues.   My partner had injured his knee and was using a cane for recovery, Emirates made us move to a different row.  They moved us to bulkhead, with no one sitting between us.  Hopefully your flight won't be full ( fingers crossed), and then you can move to an empty row after the doors close. 

Good info... thanks for sharing!  I'm hoping it won't be full.  We don't fly very often, we've been due for a vacay.

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I am not seeing  any info on the good seats vs bad ones

Is there a trick ?

No, it doesn't have comments. But if you're thinking of the SeatGuru comments, they are pretty rubbish too because the vast majority are simple guesswork rather than the product of experience. aerolopa's seat maps are so good that you can often work out more for yourself from very accurate source information.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Is there a trick ?

Aerolopa doesn't give any "ratings" on seats.  And the ratings on SeatGuru were pretty subjective at best.s

The big knock on SG is that it has basically gone into hibernation.  No new data in years - seat maps, irrespective of any commentary, are just wrong in many cases.  Ownership has pretty much decided to let it go to junk status.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Is there a trick ?

if you go to the seat maps ( on which ever site you chose), you will see the lay out of the plane.  A few rows have only seats for two, you will see how close to the galley you are ( hard to sleep on overnight flights), how close to the WC ( more people passing in the isle and standing close by), if you are over the wing

( no view from the window) and if the seats recline( some seats are more narrow and don't recline as far).  That's why I always go to a seating chart of the plane before I chose my seats

• Like 1