Dress code

Lonedaddy

I saw this on the ss site:  "Find out what to pack. All the details are shown in the General Information section. For Silversea Expeditions guests, casual resort wear is appropriate at all times when on board, with the exception of two evenings when Informal attire is required. For men, this means a jacket, tie optional."

First time on SS (14 nights Southampton to Copenhagen-Norway Fjords.)  I have been on Regent a few times, but I understand SS is a little dressier.

I see the Bow tie on two nights of the itinerary - which is formal - I get that dinner jacket tie, dress pants.   However, they don't specify the informal nights so do they tell you on board?  We have a reservation for DW's Birthday at La Damme which isn't on formal night, but I assume like on Regent people most likely get a bit dressier for the specialty dining.

The other 10 nights seem casual but in the cooler weather I'll probably throw on a white casual jacket or sweater.   

DW is so much easier though she will have lots of sweaters on as she gets cold often.

Just confirming so I don't look out of place.   TY

29 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

I saw this on the ss site:  "Find out what to pack. All the details are shown in the General Information section. For Silversea Expeditions guests, casual resort wear is appropriate at all times when on board, with the exception of two evenings when Informal attire is required. For men, this means a jacket, tie optional."

First time on SS (14 nights Southampton to Copenhagen-Norway Fjords.)  I have been on Regent a few times, but I understand SS is a little dressier.

I see the Bow tie on two nights of the itinerary - which is formal - I get that dinner jacket tie, dress pants.   However, they don't specify the informal nights so do they tell you on board?  We have a reservation for DW's Birthday at La Damme which isn't on formal night, but I assume like on Regent people most likely get a bit dressier for the specialty dining.

The other 10 nights seem casual but in the cooler weather I'll probably throw on a white casual jacket or sweater.   

DW is so much easier though she will have lots of sweaters on as she gets cold often.

Just confirming so I don't look out of place.   TY

Hi, you will receive "The Chronicle's" which is the daily program and there will be one of those in your cabin the day you sail. You should find the dress code listed on that first program for every day of your cruise.  You also receive those Chronicle's every evening for the next day and they will show what the dress code is as well. A 14 night cruise is going to have a mixture of informal and casual nights, along with those 2 formal nights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

However, they don't specify the informal nights so do they tell you on board? 

Yes, when you embark each day will be listed in your suite.

3 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

We have a reservation for DW's Birthday at La Damme which isn't on formal night, but I assume like on Regent people most likely get a bit dressier for the specialty dining.

Men?  Not necessarily.  In my experience on an informal night in La Dame, most will be found sans tie.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Yes, when you embark each day will be listed in your suite.

Men?  Not necessarily.  In my experience on an informal night in La Dame, most will be found sans tie.

Ok got it.  I live in Belize most of the year so dressing up is a Tommy B camp shirt and a leather Sandals 🩴 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

Ok got it.  I live in Belize most of the year so dressing up is a Tommy B camp shirt and a leather Sandals 🩴 

With or without pants/trousers? We  need to know.

Lola

• Haha 6

Is this an expedition cruise? If so, you don't necessarily need a jacket, though many men will wear one on the informal night. If you're on a classic ship, I'd venture to guess that you would feel right at home in a suit rather than a dinner jacket or tux on formal night. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FauxNom said:

Is this an expedition cruise? If so, you don't necessarily need a jacket, though many men will wear one on the informal night. If you're on a classic ship, I'd venture to guess that you would feel right at home in a suit rather than a dinner jacket or tux on formal night. 

Silver Dawn

4 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

Silver Dawn

Got it (I was confused because the quote talked about expeditions). For informal nights, a blazer would be perfectly in place. There's a pretty big range on those nights. Have fun!

39 minutes ago, lauraleigh9mm said:

Alaskan cruises don't a have a formal night right? It's optional?

Correct. I was on Muse last summer to Alaska and I believe formal night was optional. So they do have one.....they are just giving the guest the option of "dressing up".

42 minutes ago, lauraleigh9mm said:

Alaskan cruises don't a have a formal night right? It's optional?

I agree with Lois.  SS does have a formal night on Alaskan voyages, but on 7 day sailings formal night is always optional; guests may choose to dress informal, a jacket is required for gentlemen.

Just now, Stumblefoot said:

I agree with Lois.  SS does have a formal night on Alaskan voyages, but on 7 day sailings formal night is always optional; guests may choose to dress informal, a jacket is required for gentlemen.

Last year on two Dawn cruises, I found the restaurants were cool enough that I was OK with wearing a jacket. If the temperature gets too warm, I will just remove my jacket and put it on the back of my chair- heaven forbid!!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Last year on two Dawn cruises, I found the restaurants were cool enough that I was OK with wearing a jacket. If the temperature gets too warm, I will just remove my jacket and put it on the back of my chair- heaven forbid!!

Avec vos chausettes bien sur

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

For guidance as to appropriate wear for men onboard, I suggest listening to ZZTops' "Sharp Dressed Man".  It isn't about what you can get away with, minimally, it is how can you up the whole vibe on the ship with your sartorial standards.  A cruise should be something of a celebration of the best that being alive has to offer - travel, adventure, seeing different parts of the beautiful earth, appreciating different cultures, good food, good company, hanging with your main squeeze, and the people who dress accordingly add to the special nature of the experience.  I say - bring on the cummerbunds, the spats, the morning jackets, cufflinks, evening gowns, fake pearls, big hats that were too extreme for Mardi Gras - and I'm just talking about the men here!  

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

For guidance as to appropriate wear for men onboard, I suggest listening to ZZTops' "Sharp Dressed Man".  It isn't about what you can get away with, minimally, it is how can you up the whole vibe on the ship with your sartorial standards.  A cruise should be something of a celebration of the best that being alive has to offer - travel, adventure, seeing different parts of the beautiful earth, appreciating different cultures, good food, good company, hanging with your main squeeze, and the people who dress accordingly add to the special nature of the experience.  I say - bring on the cummerbunds, the spats, the morning jackets, cufflinks, evening gowns, fake pearls, big hats that were too extreme for Mardi Gras - and I'm just talking about the men here!  

I Just love this WWFT, It sums up my approach to my cruise wardrobe pretty well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1