The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday May 2nd, 2023

Today is Baby Day, Brothers and Sisters Day, and National Play Your Ukulele Day

One of the disadvantages of wine is that it makes a man mistake words for thoughts. - Samuel Johnson

Meal Suggestion for today - Spicy Tilapia Rice Bowl
Drink of the Day - Island Breeze
Wine of the Day - Hickinbotham Shiraz McLaren Vale Brooks Road 2019
Destination of the Day - Takoradi, Ghana

Today in History:
1949 Arthur Miller wins Pulitzer Prize for "Death of a Salesman"

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

At Sea destination Ketchikan, Alaska eta 5-03 

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Nieuw Statendam

Tunis, La Goulette, Tunisia 07:00 - 23:00

Noordam

Vancouver, BC, Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Ibiza, Spain 07:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Alesund, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

San Diego, California 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Kodiak, Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island, Azores Portugal eta 5-04

image.thumb.png.e7cf061c2cdccc27f1b481e3a3c00efe.png

image.thumb.png.4ff38d13371f7e5787f46436efa580ba.png

Sandi for Rich

late today due to computer on strike

• Like 21
  • Thanks 15

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  @StLouisCruisers my laptop goes on strike from time to time so I sympathize.  I’m curious about today’s meal suggestion.  Today’s an in office day and I need to kick off a huge project.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.thumb.png.c1df6e5c7a9aed57e83a37e889bf3c10.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 22

Good morning from a cloudy 48°F North East England.

Thank you Sandi for hosting today's daily reports as well as posting regular fantastic port photos.

George Formby was well known in England for playing the Ukulele.

Paulines brother was brilliant looking after his mam with Pauline and my help especially for her last 4 years after she fractured a hip after falling then her Vascular dementia and Alzheimer's got bad.

Unfortunately her sister like my brother never bothered with our parents untill they died when they were quick to see what they would get.

Interesting quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

We have never been to today's port so I'm looking forward to seeing photos.

Best wishes for good health for all Dailyites.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Graham.

• Like 30

Good morning friends!  Or should I say bad morning?  We have gremlins in our house and my computer was doing something with the "disc" this morning and refused to do anything else.  DH just turned on the treadmill (taking my spot) and it is doing all kinds of incline testing all on its own.  Let's hope the appliances aren't next!  The weather report for my location is 48F and it will rise to 70 with sunshine.  Hope the weather people are correct and that doesn't go downhill.

Anyway, thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report info and our day in history topic.  Today is a big day for the Noordam and Westerdam because after long journeys across the Pacific they are reaching their destinations - Vancouver and Kodiak.  Our days to celebrate are Baby Day, National Brothers and Sisters Day, and National Play Your Ukelele Day.  I love to celebrate babies and the only one in the family is my niece's DGD Elliott Rose.  Thankfully I still have a brother and sister but miss my DS Nancy.  And no way I could play a ukelele.  

The menu suggestion today is spicy tilapia rice bowl, but I can't handle spicy so that's out!  The drink is Island Breeze🍹 and the wine is a shiraz🍷   Both I will pass on.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the food and beverage reports today!

Prayers for our Care list people and there are quite a few of you.  Hoping things will be better soon for everyone.🙏  Cheers for our Celebration list folks.  Be happy if you have good news and have a great day if you're on a ship somewhere.🚢  Thank you Eva @superoma for taking care of the lists for us.  

Our port is Takoradi, Ghana which is a third time posting here.  Last times were July 28, 2021 and June 9, 2022.  I have not been there and probably won't go there.  Links will be posted below (fingers crossed).  Please feel free to post your photos for us!

Hoping everyone's day starts out better than mine did!  Take care and be safe!

PS - I noticed today is also Sandra Day so I think I will celebrate me today.  Couldn't hurt, could it?

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Another wet day here, with a chance of wet flurries.  Oh, I wish it would warm up.

A great day to celebrate - babies and siblings.  I'll pass on the ukulele.

Good quote.

I'll pass on the meal.  Hope the drink and wine are tasty.

I haven't been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a great day.

• Like 26

Island Breeze cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Cruzan® Aged Dark Rum
1 part Cruzan® Peach Rum
2 parts Pineapple Juice
1 part Cranberry Juice
1 Orange and Cherry Flag

Instructions
Build over ice in a tall glass.

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 6.27.32 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 10

Good morning everyone and thanks for today’s report. I just had a funny image of playing a ukulele for a baby.  Hats off to our brothers and sisters, they make life fun.  Very funny quote today and so true.  I’ll pass on the dish but the drink sounds like something on a Caribbean cruise.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events!

• Like 25

Good morning all,

Volendam is making her way towards San Diego now, to do the dirty deed of dumping us off. Back to reality soon. It’s been a great cruise.

Gonna get back in bed and enjoy the rocking while I can.

IMG_1264.jpeg

IMG_1266.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Good morning. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

I mourn the loss of my oldest brother and sister over these past two years and I get to celebrate with my sister, brother, and sister-in-law on our upcoming cruise together in only 26 more days. 

The meal looks enticing. Definitely yes to the drink. 

Light rain today. 

Hoping to see Nieuw Amsterdam pull into Juneau for the first time this season. 

Thinking of you all. Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 29

Tuesday May 2 care and celebration list

Roy recovering from pneumonia and getting stronger

Jodiesme1 mother and Her DH with Covid in Guatemala 

Cruising sister toe issues needing to clear before cruise

Kazu recuperating

Crabby Patti caring for DF  who is no longer ambulatory

St Pete cruise in Hawaiian hospital but improving

Jazzyv falling and bruising her knees

Cunnorl surgery May 3

Tana with pneumonia and worsening pulmonary fibrosis

RIP Gordon Lightfoot (84) 

Too many shooting victims

Citizens of Ukraine and the Sudan 

Evacuees from Sudan now mostly by ship from port Sudan 

From the rotation:

Summer Slope’s friend with a brain injury

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy

NextOne needing valve surgery 

Celebrations

Rafinmd’s good report from the Oncologist, Podiatrist and pulmonologist

Cruzn single stepson with successful non cancerous tumour removal

NextOne not needing any procedures, July cruise is on!

Luvteaching DH making progress on mobility

Dobiemom able to use a more comfortable sleeping position

Dfish DS Sue moved in and unpacking

Surgery date for smitty34877 DH

Father David on a pilgrimage for 3 weeks (May 21)

Bennybear feeling better

Mamaofami’s dh pneumonia free

Welcome back TiogaCruiser (Volendam to 5/2), 

Good news for dobiemom from her eye doctor 

Welcome back norseh2o and happy belated birthday to your DM

St Pete cruiser posting and reading the daily 

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

Bon voyage Lazey1 (Volendam 5/2 to 5/10)

Bon voyage Sharon in az (volendam 5/2 to 5/10)(5/10 to 5/17) 

4 days Cruising sister (Nieuw Statendam 5/6to 5/28)

5 days Marshhawk (Nieuw Amsterdam 5/7 to 5/21)

Cruising

Overhead Fred’s Anniversary cruise (Rotterdam to 5/6), AV8rix (Volendam to 5/6), 

Dismomx5 (Volendam to 5/6), 

HAL4NOW (Koningsdam 5/6)

Cruising-along (Koningsdam 5/6)

USN59-79 (Westerdam to 5/7), 

Lobsternight (Nieuw Amsterdam to 5/7)

Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12), 

Sharon in AZ (Volendam to 5/17) at sea

Jazzyv cruise (celebrity apex) and vacation to 5/28

• Like 19
  • Thanks 18

Thank you Sandi & Rich for today’s R & D! Another lovely morning. Yesterday was another lovely day, though it got quite windy in the afternoon. A bit of a marine layer this morning. 

Eva, thank you for keeping up with all of us! Debbie & Dixie thank you for hunting down & sharing the food & drink recipes!

Chores, gym, Bindi walks and a gathering with friends at a local wine bar. Sounds like a decent day to me. 

I need to replenish my supply of Memes. I am near the end of my store. 

IMG_1258.jpeg.26282222ed60c0622cbaee37b42f5d37.jpeg

IMG_1261.jpeg.becb847023db9cbd639ef5fee6da8e81.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Hickinbotham Shiraz McLaren Vale Brooks Road 2019

This Australian Shiraz/Syrah sounds lovely. And fairly easy to find. Though priced just out of my budget, I would love a taste. Quite a few online distributors with prices starting at $58.94.

Winemaker Notes

#36 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2022

Named for the street on which the vineyard is located, Brooks Road Shiraz exhibits the compelling single site character of the vineyard. 2019 Brooks Road exhibits the compelling dynamic between savory and fruit flavours which is textbook Shiraz from Clarendon. Sweet blueberry and rich red fruits interlace with notes of clove and menthol. The palate is expansive but pure finesses with a beautifully balanced acidity leading to a silky finish.

WS95  Wine Spectator

Impressive, rich and fleshy, with blackberry, blueberry and huckleberry notes at the core, but shows tremendous depth, concentration and polish. Offers accents of bittersweet chocolate, espresso, salted caramel and rosemary, backed by velvety tannins on the finish, with the flavors gaining extra torque and momentum. Drink now

JS95  James Suckling
This has such effortless depth and impressive measure. It delivers aromas of ripe red and dark plums with slate and blackberries, framed in fresh, subtly spicy and cedary oak. The palate is packed with ripe red plums, red cherries and mulberries, as well as deeper blueberries and darker plums. The power is innate and the palate so focused. Elegant and pure. Drink over the next decade or more.
RP92  Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
Marked by notes of vanilla and creosote on the nose, the 2019 Brooks Road Shiraz follows those opening salvos with blueberry and plum fruit, cedar shavings and dark chocolate. It's medium to full-bodied, supple and ripe, with a plush feel and a long, licorice-tinged finish. There's ample concentration and power, but the wine is already approachable and I'd expect it to age relatively quickly. Drink it over the next decade or so.
W&S91  Wine & Spirits
The team at Yangarra started bottling wine from their Hickinbotham estate in 2012. The dry-farmed vineyard in Clarendon produced a shiraz with the meatiness and bloodiness of rare roast beef, backed up by McLaren Vale tannins that add a black mushroom savor. It’s smooth and ripe, a pleasure with filet mignon.
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 2

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Sandi.  Sorry to hear that the gremlins have struck you 😞 

Nice collection of days.  I think the one I will celebrate the most is brothers and sisters day.  My one sister is so thoughtful.  She knew what yesterday meant and sent me these.

B252B00F-4335-41F3-A44D-8C8620F0D6CC.thumb.jpeg.07c145eb048565734afb4ce5c82bb9ed.jpeg

4079F861-B0F9-4A7A-8AEE-FBC829048EF2.thumb.jpeg.58a3a4c90fd486235342a1cb10a2a78f.jpeg

Ivan helped me answer the door when they arrived.

4BA49B53-390C-4EBD-A975-0D055C40B7A6.thumb.jpeg.7182012bedae057807bb5e78c5127e63.jpeg

Yes, Ivan has arrived.  

1EF7C588-89FE-45A0-A89C-34907B58D301.thumb.jpeg.452510798b263304233fdd5e1fafd6f6.jpeg

A bit earlier than planned but his mother doesn’t drive and relies on others.  he was a very sad boy with her gone and I worked at distracting him.  By last night he was getting pretty comfy.

ED9EB105-50E7-475A-9601-FFBDCD1311D7.thumb.jpeg.ffec3e6b235ccb2d960836f63daefcfd.jpeg

Sorry the pics aren’t the best - it was a dark and gloomy day & I only had my old Ipad handy.  By last night he was getting pretty comfy LOL.

5500D114-3A29-4B2F-9B78-84268A49BE26.thumb.jpeg.ca733cbced2ce6f5d5f005a6d7702943.jpeg

LOL on today’s quote.  It’s a sad day in Canada as an icon in songwriting and singing has passed away - Gordon Lightfoot.  RIP and thank you for all your musical gifts to us all for so many years.

A6749BBA-3F54-4ADF-BD9A-82A3BF4A94AB.thumb.jpeg.19744c58cc3dd881902cde06cfae4278.jpeg

I think my day will be full between cleaning up from the mess Mother Nature made yesterday,  helping Ivan acclimate and with a visit from a friend.  But, with luck, if my elbow doesn’t object too much a bit of gardening?

64C79E06-C522-46D8-82C1-DD397765114D.thumb.jpeg.2e43afe4348b32c786fa3721533155d7.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the care list & those that need them and a toast 🥂 to those celebrating.

157D317E-B9FD-4784-A821-B64E989B9552.thumb.jpeg.d4db94a11b99fdd66b196a642bf3409d.jpeg

Have a great Tuesday everyone !!!!

• Like 36
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Eva, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  A very chilly morning in Maryland with rain likely later today.  My brother has been gone for over 2 years and there are no babies I can think of in the family right now.  I have no musical talent.  Death of a Salesman was a very inspiring play.  Interesting point of view by Johnson.  I have not been to Takoradi. In 2005 I had a voyage on Blount's Grande Caribe from Duluth to Chicago where we traveled Edmond Fitzgerald's final voyage and now Lightfoot is spiritually with the ship he memorialized.  Rest in Peace,  I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Sunset Salad, Broiled New York Striploin, and Apple Streusel

dishes0502.jpg

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

@kazu, Ivan is adorable.  Thank you for the pictures.  What a special sister  to send the beautiful flowers

Good morning from a foggy SE Texas.  I woke up earlier with the sound of a ship’s fog horn out on the river a half mile away.  Some think the sound of fog horns in a white blanket is eerie, but I think of it as comforting. 

Love brothers and sisters day.   There are 5 of us, and we are scattered among different areas of the country,  We all got together in February for 3 days, and it was wonderful!

One dear sister is traveling with me to London in 2 days!  We are so excited!  I came up with a crazy plan on New Year’s Eve to be in London during Coronation time. 👑  Being the awesome sister she is, she was all in, and dear brother in law told her, Yes, Go!  Booked a hotel that night.  Did I mention we leave in 2 days?!  So excited. 

prayers to all in need, and cheers to those with good news or traveling. 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  In an effort to clean out the fridge, I am making breakfast today. DH says we have a few more errands to run this morning, and then walk the dog, and then back to work, and then I'm done.  

Most of the packing is done, DH is still working on his. (with my left overs that didnt fit in my small carryon) I read last night we have three gala nights.  I also saw the pictures of the extremely long lines at embarkation.  Truly scary.  

I don't travel with phone, computer or any way to connect with you, so please all be safe, and I hope well. So, a busy day today, all day flying tomorrow and then I will be enjoying the beauty of Vancouver and Victoria until Sunday when we cruise!  I do keep a self created journal to complete each day for my adventures.  I am nervous, I am excited, and I wish I could hug you all!

7811ab1e339937c1001f0df60f378273--need-coffee-coffee-time.jpg

fishingboat.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 31
  • Haha 4

Good morning, everyone!

It is a chilly start to a colder than normal day here in mid-Michigan.  Temps are only getting up to the low 40s.  And there is the possibility of an s word.  Things improve tomorrow.  As the weather forecaster said, we just have to suffer through today.  

We are going to spend the day taking things around to donation sites.  Like @Cruzin Terri, I have been pruning my closets.  I'm getting rid of the stuff that is too big for me.  That is a hopeful thing.  Once this adrenal issue is taken care of, I am hoping I can lose weight instead of gain it.  So, I'm keeping the stuff that is just a little tight.  Sue has been tossing stuff as she unpacks.  She has a load for the resale shop.  We give as much as we can to the resale shop that helps support a residence for victims of domestic abuse.  Furniture, and we will have some, will go to Habitat for Humanity.  We got to know these places well after Dad died.  One step closer to restoring order.  

Today's meal is one I would like without the rice.  I would  use the riced cauliflower because otherwise the carb count is way too high for me.  Remember, if  you don't like Tilapia, you can always substitute another mild white fish.  There are plenty!  Use cod instead.  This first one doesn't seem too spicy hot, just flavorful.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/spicy-tilapia-rice-bowl/

tilapiaricebowl1.jpg.601911524a4fd1b058e706dabfbc0b3b.jpg

If it is the heat you don't like, leave out the cayenne.  I love the cayenne and many times people don't notice it if you use it sparingly.  https://thebestblogrecipes.com/spicy-mexican-tilapia-bowls/

tilapiaricebowl2.thumb.jpg.7b8949c65920925bd08a542644326ad8.jpg

This last recipe sounded good with the pineapple added in.  https://www.thesecretingredientis.com/blackened-tilapia-rice-bowls/

tilapiaricebowl3.thumb.jpg.324fa203f63a6ad2b149969a841ab887.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 13

14 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I don't travel with phone, computer or any way to connect with you, so please all be safe, and I hope well. So, a busy day today, all day flying tomorrow and then I will be enjoying the beauty of Vancouver and Victoria until Sunday when we cruise! 

Safe travels!  Have a wonderful time!

• Like 18

15 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  In an effort to clean out the fridge, I am making breakfast today. DH says we have a few more errands to run this morning, and then walk the dog, and then back to work, and then I'm done.  

Most of the packing is done, DH is still working on his. (with my left overs that didnt fit in my small carryon) I read last night we have three gala nights.  I also saw the pictures of the extremely long lines at embarkation.  Truly scary.  

I don't travel with phone, computer or any way to connect with you, so please all be safe, and I hope well. So, a busy day today, all day flying tomorrow and then I will be enjoying the beauty of Vancouver and Victoria until Sunday when we cruise!  I do keep a self created journal to complete each day for my adventures.  I am nervous, I am excited, and I wish I could hug you all!

Have a fabulous cruise!

• Like 20

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Sandi.  Sorry to hear that the gremlins have struck you 😞 

Nice collection of days.  I think the one I will celebrate the most is brothers and sisters day.  My one sister is so thoughtful.  She knew what yesterday meant and sent me these.

B252B00F-4335-41F3-A44D-8C8620F0D6CC.thumb.jpeg.07c145eb048565734afb4ce5c82bb9ed.jpeg

4079F861-B0F9-4A7A-8AEE-FBC829048EF2.thumb.jpeg.58a3a4c90fd486235342a1cb10a2a78f.jpeg

Ivan helped me answer the door when they arrived.

4BA49B53-390C-4EBD-A975-0D055C40B7A6.thumb.jpeg.7182012bedae057807bb5e78c5127e63.jpeg

Yes, Ivan has arrived.  

1EF7C588-89FE-45A0-A89C-34907B58D301.thumb.jpeg.452510798b263304233fdd5e1fafd6f6.jpeg

A bit earlier than planned but his mother doesn’t drive and relies on others.  he was a very sad boy with her gone and I worked at distracting him.  By last night he was getting pretty comfy.

ED9EB105-50E7-475A-9601-FFBDCD1311D7.thumb.jpeg.ffec3e6b235ccb2d960836f63daefcfd.jpeg

Sorry the pics aren’t the best - it was a dark and gloomy day & I only had my old Ipad handy.  By last night he was getting pretty comfy LOL.

5500D114-3A29-4B2F-9B78-84268A49BE26.thumb.jpeg.ca733cbced2ce6f5d5f005a6d7702943.jpeg

LOL on today’s quote.  It’s a sad day in Canada as an icon in songwriting and singing has passed away - Gordon Lightfoot.  RIP and thank you for all your musical gifts to us all for so many years.

A6749BBA-3F54-4ADF-BD9A-82A3BF4A94AB.thumb.jpeg.19744c58cc3dd881902cde06cfae4278.jpeg

I think my day will be full between cleaning up from the mess Mother Nature made yesterday,  helping Ivan acclimate and with a visit from a friend.  But, with luck, if my elbow doesn’t object too much a bit of gardening?

64C79E06-C522-46D8-82C1-DD397765114D.thumb.jpeg.2e43afe4348b32c786fa3721533155d7.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the care list & those that need them and a toast 🥂 to those celebrating.

157D317E-B9FD-4784-A821-B64E989B9552.thumb.jpeg.d4db94a11b99fdd66b196a642bf3409d.jpeg

Have a great Tuesday everyone !!!!

He looks very cozy,especially on the couch with you.i hope all goes well and you two can enjoy each other!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1