The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday May 4th, 2023

2 hours ago, 0106 said:

Thank you to everyone that makes the Daily such a special place.IMG_7358.jpeg.e0fd77bd3c371bbd9854bffc24c9a355.jpeg

Life is very short, and what we have to do must be done in the now. Audre Lorde was an amazing poetry and prose writer.  I wonder if the quote is from The Cancer Journal where she confronts the possibility of her death and the silence that surrounds cancer and illness.  Her writing also addressed injustices in society; maybe she was encouraging us to act to make the world a better place.

Caribbean Shrimp & Rice Bowl sounds delicious.  @dfish suggestion of cauliflower rice is a good one but I frequently use half brown rice and half salad greens as a foundation for my bowls.

@DCThunder  I agree that it’s not a Dark and Stormy unless it’s made with Goslings rum.  I love the drink; the rum tastes different than other dark rums, a bit like molasses.

Recent stories about medical issues while cruising encouraged me start researching medical travel insurance.  I am embarrassed to say I have never purchased it.  I want to buy a yearly policy because we have 4 cruises scheduled in a 12 month period.  I am concerned about the “look back period” on several of the policies.  I’d appreciate any advice you may have…good or bad.@St Pete Cruiser Were you happy with the service you received from Allianz?  It is one of the policies I am seriously considering.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

Allianz has delivered so far. There hasn't been any settlement for the onboard medical Center so far, but they may not have had sufficient time yet.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Allianz has delivered so far

Thank you for your reply.  I hope you are able to enjoy Hilo; the Air B & B looks nice.  Also, I hope you are able to comfortably fly home with only 1 connection!

If anyone else could offer advice on medical travel insurance companies I should explore or avoid, I would greatly appreciate it.  It is a daunting first experience.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from the lovely Volendam at sea on this cloudy and drizzly day. 

Today is also Dutch Remembrance Day 

5302FA89-96DE-4E5F-BF9A-2DDF695318DF.thumb.jpeg.7b82881d79c419bc71d327072dec65ff.jpeg

Sorry for the shadow. I wasn’t able to attend but I think it was a special way to remember the day. 

It has been hard to keep up with the Daily but please know my heart is with all of the Dailyites. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Thank you for your reply.  I hope you are able to enjoy Hilo; the Air B & B looks nice.  Also, I hope you are able to comfortably fly home with only 1 connection!

If anyone else could offer advice on medical travel insurance companies I should explore or avoid, I would greatly appreciate it.  It is a daunting first experience.

Tina

I always purchased Allianz, but never had to use the policies. 

Until my trip to Iceland. I went with a travel group focused on providing low cost travel to teachers or retired teachers. They recommended using the volunteer card insurance.

When I fractured my left patella at the end of my first full day in Reykjavik- I visited the local hospital. Several X-rays, three doctors, prescriptions,  a cast & crutches later - I was cleared to stay with the group, but avoid certain activities. I paid the $672.00 bill and within three days of being home and submitting my claim - I was reimbursed. I am providing the link, so you can at least check them out & compare them to Allianz. 

Ann

https://www.volunteercard.com/custom/geeo/

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I researched medical policies since our Medicare doesn't cover medical expenses  outside of the US, and found GeoBlue offers a good yearly policy for medical and repatriation.  When we went very far away, in a remote area with questionable medical care we bought Medjet but you need to be under 75 to purchase it for a reasonable fee. AARP discounts the Medjet policy for its members.      MedJet will fly you home to your hospital of choice, on a chartered medical jet.  You can buy a one or two year policy.   We had to cancel a cruise this year for medical reasons.  I had Trawick travel insurance and I received a full refund in less than 2 weeks from submission of my forms.  Some of the yearly policies don't offer enough coverage so I would suggest you ask one of the qualified agents recommended on the CC insurance site to see which policy(ies) work best for you.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

@cat shepard I need to look into the groups that provides low cost travel to retired teachers.  Could you share the tour group you used?

@tupper10 Residents of MD can’t use GeoBlue.   I have spent a lot of time reviewing the posts on the CC “Insure  my trip” thread.  My husband has Medicare but his supplemental policy covers care outside of the US.  I am paying attention to the reimbursement to fly home.  My husband is 71 so I will look at the MedJet policies.

I appreciate everyone on the Daily for their personal insights.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 14

6 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@cat shepard I need to look into the groups that provides low cost travel to retired teachers.  Could you share the tour group you used?

@tupper10 Residents of MD can’t use GeoBlue.   I have spent a lot of time reviewing the posts on the CC “Insure  my trip” thread.  My husband has Medicare but his supplemental policy covers care outside of the US.  I am paying attention to the reimbursement to fly home.  My husband is 71 so I will look at the MedJet policies.

I would call Steve at Insure my Trip or one of his other agents and let them suggest a good policy that works for you and your husband.  You don't even have to purchase when you call them and can do that after you consider all your options.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Tina

I always purchased Allianz, but never had to use the policies. 

Until my trip to Iceland. I went with a travel group focused on providing low cost travel to teachers or retired teachers. They recommended using the volunteer card insurance.

When I fractured my left patella at the end of my first full day in Reykjavik- I visited the local hospital. Several X-rays, three doctors, prescriptions,  a cast & crutches later - I was cleared to stay with the group, but avoid certain activities. I paid the $672.00 bill and within three days of being home and submitting my claim - I was reimbursed. I am providing the link, so you can at least check them out & compare them to Allianz. 

Ann

https://www.volunteercard.com/custom/geeo/

I currently have a claim with Allianz and it has not been a good experience at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

Good afternoon from the Koningsdam! We continue to have a wonderful time on this short but sweet cruise. I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about dining in Club Orange but on this cruise I feel sorry for anyone who doesn’t have it. The ship is full. The lines for the dining room, Lido and Dive In are long. At least the specialty restaurants have been easy to get into. 

Yesterday in Ketchikan we did the Saxman Native Village Dance, Totems and Logger show. Great afternoon and best weather we’ve had in Ketchikan. Today is Prince Rupert, BC. A new port for us. Another good weather day! We walked to the Sunken Gardens and around town. It’s early in the season here so many things aren’t blooming yet, but it will be gorgeous in a few weeks. 

A few photos from yesterday and today. Sorry I can’t make the sign right side up. 🙃

F6B74D55-19C4-44ED-86F5-864E21B8D305.thumb.jpeg.3a0b4dff0fdc002e30f8229093f3c5f3.jpeg

BED6EC81-E985-4BE5-B71A-E8EBC660F266.thumb.jpeg.9cde33a090ab3b42f8f00964351f7e25.jpeg

135B6847-0BDB-406A-AD9E-CC3D947DA74E.thumb.jpeg.0f3edaa0b308c1b84978469a65a492cd.jpeg

5029C7A6-3FFE-4E73-81BB-05090E6F21B8.thumb.jpeg.b51fbf8c39c1e1b9f8d5331c4fb68202.jpeg

04B52B3A-8A8D-4FEA-B45D-0BD13475D1D1.thumb.jpeg.45cc8ec1cf688b6ef557f3f82fb2dbfa.jpeg

E271497E-0DD7-4C13-9DE6-8F6B0F033741.thumb.jpeg.27f77ed5c17987ce8f065cd64afb849c.jpeg

34245F8B-3851-464B-8EED-B50B72ED2B73.thumb.jpeg.079bbdf5399e16beacee30d7c56c85ea.jpeg

D80C7FF6-2F17-45E6-BB8C-0263EC324123.thumb.jpeg.d536dae51735e177a4c1118093304d5e.jpeg

31F5A3E9-E0C3-4788-9FD0-B84FA6CDE799.thumb.jpeg.138d03b25b89b91c4de5df697cf2f994.jpeg

5BD1574B-25F7-4568-81CB-FEEF510A94B3.thumb.jpeg.b37128218f915f6551a0287482866c82.jpeg

B8043A44-AB70-44D8-8EE2-23C9332C879D.thumb.jpeg.c35cda0e2592e03a5892ae9c8f740f7d.jpeg

93926BCB-1123-473E-A06C-C36D4E2B0050.thumb.jpeg.0d76e40c0419f1bd501c1c3119307384.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

I currently have a claim with Allianz and it has not been a good experience at all.

We will never use them again. Worst experience ever. We had a sizeable claim and they tried their hardest to make us give up. Different information every day. We persevered, finally

got our $$ and never will use them again. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8

Good afternoon from a cloudy and windy central.  Inwas surprised that cleaning the driveway didn't take all day.  About half was very dirty where the pollen and other stuff from the cedar trees land.  The rest just had red dirt that washed off easily.  As soon as we have four or five days with just a slight chance of rain, I'll tackle the port and that side of the house.  Right now, I'm very happy to have a few days to rest.

7 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. May the fourth be with you. We are big Star Trek fans here.There is a huge old oak tree across the street that hosts a whole lot of birds every evening at dusk. If I can, I like to sit on the steps with the dogs and watch. It is so loud!

The recipes look great but today I am serving vegetarian chili with corn bread for dinner.

I am happy to report that everyone slept about five hours last night for the first time in a week. Hopefully Tana will start to feel somewhat better soon.

@RMLincoln, Maureen, I was happy to read that your DH is doing well and hope the second surgery can be scheduled sooner.

@kazu, Jacqui, I hope the vet visit goes well and I am glad your neighbor loves Ivan too. I love the pictures of him. Also, I was pleased to read that your surgeon was happy with your elbow and hope you are in less pain now.

Take care everyone.

Terry, that is good news that everyone got some sleep last night.  I hope Tana will feel better very soon.

8 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon from Southampton. Not doing much here, as we didn’t have an excursion and walking is still somewhat hard for me due to knees and back issues. Yesterday we docked in Dorset and went to Stonehenge. 

I am pleased to read of good news for many. Continued prayers for those in need and Cheers to those celebrating. 

IMG_9890.thumb.jpeg.1b34d23ec3e9915ca2abfbdb8a58910c.jpeg

Vanessa, I hope your knees are better soon.  I envy you the good weather at Stonehenge.  It rained the day we were there.

6 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning to all. Sunny here and high will get into the mid-60's. The river is rising but as our temps are staying down the melt in the high country is slow.... thankfully. I am well away but some of the valley homes could get flooded if it melts too fast.

The birds must have known they were celebrating "their day" as the dawn chorus outside my window was very loud this morning. Sounded very cheerful. @kazuglad your doctor visit went well and that Ivan seems to be settling in. That he has bonded with your neighbor is a real plus. Much less disruption for him when you travel again.

My dogs are off to the groomer this morning. Bandit suddenly has fuzzed up and he is hard to groom. Monty will go along for a pedicure and for the experience of being there since that is where they will stay if I go ahead with the GA cruise in January. They love everyone out there and are  always are happy to go in. Later this month they will be there for 4 nights while I go to the dog show in Farmington to help out. It is much easier for me to deal with show issues and judges if I do not have to worry about my own dogs.  Later this summer they and I will go on an overnight somewhere to see how they do with motel rooms. Should be interesting.

Otherwise little from here. Am preparing for the annual meeting on Saturday. Talked with the auditor and have information for a financial report since our Treasurer will not be there and I am anticipating a few questions.  I am amazed that the roofing, new kennels, etc.  actually came in under my estimated budget. Don't know how that happened.

Take care all.

Susan

Susan, I hope the weather stays cool to slow the snow melt, and there is no flooding.  I hope all goes well at the board meeting Saturday.

3 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Good morning to everyone!  Can't believe it that I "might" make it onto Page 2.  Living in the Western US puts us posters as the late ones.  

It is quite cloudy here today and will make it to lower 70's a little later.  We can still hope for cooler weather for the mountain snowpack.  Don't know if the ski areas will ever close for the summer!??!!

Today I get to wait for the surgeon's office to call with the new time to go to the surgery center.  I hate that the whole week has been tied up with this.  Oh well, if I am at home, I cannot spend much money.  I am not one for ordering stuff from Amazon, etc.  But I have 4 gift cards that could be spent if I ever went into Grand Junction.

Hope the good medical news continues.  @St Pete CruiserI hope that you get to fly home soon, but your place looks lovely for a temporary recovery situation!  @smitty34877, I think I understand all the trials that Tana is enduring at this time.  Hope that she regains strength and continues her valiant fight.  IPF is such a nasty disease.

@kazumy newest grand-puppy is a Golden Doodle who is just precious and is still a puppy handful!  Ivan looks like such a sweetie and it seems that he has made himself quite at home.

Have a great day, everyone.

Mary Kay

Mary Kay, I hope you got a better time for tomorrow's surgery than the original time.  Sending good thoughts for an easy and successful surgery.

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

Thank you to everyone that makes the Daily such a special place.IMG_7358.jpeg.e0fd77bd3c371bbd9854bffc24c9a355.jpeg

Life is very short, and what we have to do must be done in the now. Audre Lorde was an amazing poetry and prose writer.  I wonder if the quote is from The Cancer Journal where she confronts the possibility of her death and the silence that surrounds cancer and illness.  Her writing also addressed injustices in society; maybe she was encouraging us to act to make the world a better place.

Caribbean Shrimp & Rice Bowl sounds delicious.  @dfish suggestion of cauliflower rice is a good one but I frequently use half brown rice and half salad greens as a foundation for my bowls.

@DCThunder  I agree that it’s not a Dark and Stormy unless it’s made with Goslings rum.  I love the drink; the rum tastes different than other dark rums, a bit like molasses.

Recent stories about medical issues while cruising encouraged me start researching medical travel insurance.  I am embarrassed to say I have never purchased it.  I want to buy a yearly policy because we have 4 cruises scheduled in a 12 month period.  I am concerned about the “look back period” on several of the policies.  I’d appreciate any advice you may have…good or bad.@St Pete Cruiser Were you happy with the service you received from Allianz?  It is one of the policies I am seriously considering.

In the past, we've gotten the insurance through HAL, and the one time we had to use it, it was with Allianz.  There was no problem with getting the claim paid quickly.

5 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning everyone, 

Checking in. It's been a busy week. DH is making progress - slow but progress. I'm still nagging the staff about finding a place closer to home but so far no luck. DH did scare us on Tuesday - he lost consciousness as they were putting him back in bed after eating breakfast in his wheelchair. I got a call to tell me and was told he was fine but I had a very quick shower (just long enough to get the hair wet to avoid bedhead) and headed down. I got there and he was fine, chatting away, etc. Then I could relax. It was a long hour drive though!

Sunday I took a day off from going south to DH and went north to see my Mom (along with a friend). Mom is 96.5 and a going concern. She lives in an independent living facility and you have to work to get on her social calendar. I hope I have inherited her longevity genes! It was a good day but another long one with driving 2 hours up and 2 hours back. I'm thinking of taking tomorrow off and staying home! We're supposed to have quite the rain event and the Friday traffic is not fun. I'm prepping DH for it.

Have a good day!

Karen 

Karen, I know how scary that must have been, but I'm glad your DH was all right.  Twice when DH was in rehab, I got calls they were sending him to the ER.  Even with reassurance, you worry and want to get there sooner than asap.  Enjoy your day tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good afternoon from the Koningsdam! We continue to have a wonderful time on this short but sweet cruise. I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about dining in Club Orange but on this cruise I feel sorry for anyone who doesn’t have it. The ship is full. The lines for the dining room, Lido and Dive In are long. At least the specialty restaurants have been easy to get into. 

Yesterday in Ketchikan we did the Saxman Native Village Dance, Totems and Logger show. Great afternoon and best weather we’ve had in Ketchikan. Today is Prince Rupert, BC. A new port for us. Another good weather day! We walked to the Sunken Gardens and around town. It’s early in the season here so many things aren’t blooming yet, but it will be gorgeous in a few weeks. 

A few photos from yesterday and today. Sorry I can’t make the sign right side up. 🙃

F6B74D55-19C4-44ED-86F5-864E21B8D305.thumb.jpeg.3a0b4dff0fdc002e30f8229093f3c5f3.jpeg

BED6EC81-E985-4BE5-B71A-E8EBC660F266.thumb.jpeg.9cde33a090ab3b42f8f00964351f7e25.jpeg

135B6847-0BDB-406A-AD9E-CC3D947DA74E.thumb.jpeg.0f3edaa0b308c1b84978469a65a492cd.jpeg

5029C7A6-3FFE-4E73-81BB-05090E6F21B8.thumb.jpeg.b51fbf8c39c1e1b9f8d5331c4fb68202.jpeg

04B52B3A-8A8D-4FEA-B45D-0BD13475D1D1.thumb.jpeg.45cc8ec1cf688b6ef557f3f82fb2dbfa.jpeg

E271497E-0DD7-4C13-9DE6-8F6B0F033741.thumb.jpeg.27f77ed5c17987ce8f065cd64afb849c.jpeg

34245F8B-3851-464B-8EED-B50B72ED2B73.thumb.jpeg.079bbdf5399e16beacee30d7c56c85ea.jpeg

D80C7FF6-2F17-45E6-BB8C-0263EC324123.thumb.jpeg.d536dae51735e177a4c1118093304d5e.jpeg

31F5A3E9-E0C3-4788-9FD0-B84FA6CDE799.thumb.jpeg.138d03b25b89b91c4de5df697cf2f994.jpeg

5BD1574B-25F7-4568-81CB-FEEF510A94B3.thumb.jpeg.b37128218f915f6551a0287482866c82.jpeg

B8043A44-AB70-44D8-8EE2-23C9332C879D.thumb.jpeg.c35cda0e2592e03a5892ae9c8f740f7d.jpeg

93926BCB-1123-473E-A06C-C36D4E2B0050.thumb.jpeg.0d76e40c0419f1bd501c1c3119307384.jpeg

Carolyn, I'm happy you are enjoying your cruise.  Thanks for the pictures.  What a great day you had in Ketchikan.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

@Cruising-along The weather truly has been remarkable; especially for this early in the season. Today we did the trolley tour, our own self guided walking tour, the Museum of Northern BC, the sunken gardens, the Firefighters museum, the Kwinitsa Station Railway Museum, Seal Cove, and Cow Bay.

Glad you are enjoying Club Orange. We have had a few wonderful table mates at late dining in the MDR. I haven’t had any problems with service in spite of the ship being full and crowded. My DW did mention that on previous cruises we felt pampered and on this one we can tell the servers and staff are working very hard and we don’t want to put them out by special requests. Our Room stewards are also working overtime, as they are responsible for 33 cabins and are not able to provide the special care they would like to provide.

D3298D78-75EE-42D2-B251-84B5CC4A81E6.thumb.jpeg.166be12f8903b626f43fc52dbe39aa7d.jpeg

7B02894A-22FF-482C-ADD4-7C7150FE9C20.thumb.jpeg.f5ae9e5db24e03bd57fe32ca6911dcd3.jpeg

D7B4BCEC-F564-4627-A3A4-5CE5BE9D49AC.thumb.jpeg.3eae1278078f6f008f7b24aac8efb76d.jpeg

E74DFEB6-59C7-4159-A3F1-66B0406928E8.thumb.jpeg.1d111d38f6577006de0bbca3a4452654.jpeg

AE7B4412-75B8-4010-BCB7-947CDBF379C5.thumb.jpeg.0c31949099113ff96d9a38141e20774e.jpeg

Edited by HAL4NOW
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Eva @superoma you can take me off the Celebrations list. I’m sleeping in my bed, just need to be sure I don’t roll onto my back. 😉

Will do. Good to hear that you are back in your own bed.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I'm delighted you are enjoying the cruise.  A couple of things, one for you and one in general.  I was in Prince Rupert many years ago, arriving by train and leaving by ferry.  At the time the area where cruise ships apparently dock appeared very dilapidated and quite far below the level of town.  Does the dock appear to be recently upgraded and how tough a walk is it to get from the dock to town?

As kind of a comment I see at least one live thread on this cruise, done by a poster with a handle starting with DrK.  I'm baffled, he starts with "This is probably my last HAL cruise" in his opening post and does nothing thereafter but complain.  I can't figure why he is even bothering, except maybe that his constant negativity is cathartic for him.  It does sound though that it was wise for me to book Club Orange for my November Rotterdam cruise.

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

On recent cruises we have witnessed the MDR early dining woes. Too many folks want early dining and it causes lines and stress. Late fixed just the opposite a was like dining experience of yore. Time for interaction between head waiter and wine steward. Walk in at 7:45 on Eurodam sit down,  order, dine and out in under an hour or at your leisure and pace.

Hard to give this tip away in risk of changing our future cruise experience.

• Like 13

Well, my dental visit today was not a good one.  It looks like there are a few cavities but all can be handled in one sitting.  She also decided that one of my teeth has to go.  I'm definitely not looking forward to that.

Roy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

I've been away from CC all day thinking I would get some work done on my photo book.  Right around 9 am the internet dropped, the cable as well, and let's not forget the landline!  It was offline until 1 pm!  At this rate who knows when I will finish the first book.  I have three books to do.

So I picked up my Kindle and read quite a bit of the book I'm reading currently.  Had lunch, then finally things came back online at 1:00.  So then I went right to work on the book.  50 minutes later the internet, phone and TV went offline again!  What the heck?  When it came back 20 minutes later he called to find out what was going on.  Unexplained.  The poor representative in Mississippi had no idea what was wrong the past two days.  She offered us compensation for the outages which we thought was owed us.  Then she found a loyalty discount to apply to our account which will lower the price on it, but who knows how long that will last.  In the meantime we'll take it.  The prices have been steadily rising the past couple months.  I don't know what's got into Comcast lately in our area but I don't like it.

14 hours ago, ocean sounds said:

Good morning, and thank you for today’s Daily and Fleet report. 

Nice and mild morning here in SE Texas.   Up early, too excited to sleep.  Will leave for Houston IAH about 10 AM , to meet sister’s inbound flight, then a few hours in the airport until our flight to Heathrow. 

Prayers to all in need, and cheers for all with good news!

I hope the flights went well today and you are ready to have a great time in London this weekend!

13 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Top of the morning to ya! One up and having breakfast and another soon to be. Tending children, what a wonderful trip down memory lane.❤️

Not going to be much news as we are getting into a pretty low key routine. Up early, get them to school, come home and do housecleaning, laundry, tend the two dogs and take naps, plan meals. Last night’s meal was a big hit with the girls. Help Pop Pop shuck fresh corn on the cob to go with chicken and broccoli and carrots. The fussy eaters had two servings. Victory! Did I mention we had tricycle driving lessons for three year old and there was progress.

Getting ready for school bus driver duties. Thanks for the Fleet Report and I could use a Dark and Stormy this afternoon. A nice libation. Have a great day. Bruce

image.jpeg.563e43f54e34146e87aab3af4e0125ea.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e92a87fdd3b0a6b86cc3bbb9450ebb20.jpegimage.jpeg.c54896957f3171ee5cbadf3e1631cf84.jpegimage.jpeg.9b666c1a0fdc94bad9f5b053a01661bd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2b6b3969473cf63d88d40ff3a8122aae.jpeg

Your memes are so funny!  Guess you are about ready for bed about now Bruce.  Reminds me of the good old days of parenthood!  When I put my two down for a nap after lunch, one would go right to sleep and the other would lounge around in bed whining to get up.  Never failed and it was a different child who slept each day.  I would have loved to nap while they did but had to stay awake listening to the obstinate one!  Have a good night!

12 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Sandi.

Great collection of days - love birds and Star Wars.  May the fourth be with you 🙂 

B8FCF1BA-5274-4628-AF5C-08B49844D9AF.jpeg.b087d7680cb44899b61c5dfc6d7ff1bb.jpeg

I like the Lorde quote and the meal today sounds good - looking forward to Debbie’s suggestions.  Zonin moscato is good IMO but a tad too sweet for me.  I prefer it as a dessert wine 😉 

Full day yesterday for Ivan and I.  Back to the hospital for me & he was going to be left alone.  My sweet neighbour was worried about him and came over to meet him and stayed until I got home.  She said he whimpered at the door for a few minutes, howled twice and then came back and ate his Kong and got pats.  She’s declared him bonded.  She said if I decide not to keep him, she’ll take him.  LOL.  This reminded me of my rule with dogs on the couch.  Ivan’s always been on so my former rule has been broken.

2B7B6211-B897-4C34-890C-CE84931E23C9.jpeg.12ccda5538457f40e1d1fd19dcea32bc.jpeg

Good thing she came as my surgeon was running behind - VERY behind.  I guess he saved the best for last (me).  LOL.  Sutures are out and he is pleased.  Strict instructions for care for the next little bit until it is completely healed and then it’s full tilt ahead as much as I can.   He is very hopeful that what he took out will solve the problem and there will be no need for a 4th surgery 🤞 So @superoma you can take me off the Care list please.  I still have a bit of recuperating to do - but nothing to worry about and it will improve every day 🤞 

DE3C4202-F7F2-4057-BD41-8104453EB6D9.jpeg.d87040dbe26f31e648153b044f276561.jpeg

Ivan was enchanted with my neighbour 👏 So, when I go away, instead of going to the vacation home, he’ll be going to her house when I go away.  Only thing pending is the vets tomorrow morning and their report 🤞 I have the kind ones coming that come to the house so he won’t be stressed out.  When I made the appointment, I had no idea he would adapt so quickly.  he seems healthy other than his weight and very overdue shots so, assuming the vets see nothing untoward - Ivan will be here.  He’s a very happy camper or, he’s doing a great job of faking it.

C9CB26C3-D8D6-4A96-AEDF-01899935FBAD.thumb.jpeg.d5e1c03a9d2687193144b8d50f8b0677.jpeg

so glad you are happy at Casa Camper @cruising sister

Special prayers for continued improvement for @St Pete Cruiser  & praying for @Vict0riann& Mary Kay.

Ridiculously cold here.  Is it late Fall or Spring?  Can’t even move any of my plants outside at any time.  If it drops much more, we won’t get rain - we’ll get snow.  GRRRR.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to all celebrating.

19E97F2C-DA8A-4D7F-AC87-A145A5B46AA4.jpeg.51700925bfbcdb83441d1cf17a7b5591.jpeg

Have a great Thursday everyone !!!!!

Nice to hear the doctor was pleased with your progress yesterday.  Continue that please!  How nice of your neighbor to dog sit for you and great news they got along well.  Ivan is a real cuddler so enjoy that, even if he does get on the sofa with you.

11 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good morning to all.

I am going to make sure I post today.  Yesterday we had no internet service all day. It was very frustrating.  

It went out about 10 am and finally came back some time about 9 pm.  Never an explanation and never any compensation.  

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Prayers for everyone on the cares list.  And cheers to all celebrating.

Have lots to do today.  Yesterday I was not feeling well.  Had some digestive problems that kept me from doing much.

Time for some breakfast and get the show on the road around here.

Take care everyone and God Bless,

Terri

Your internet was out too?  Is it Comcast?  Whatever it was, it's very frustrating.  You have to call and complain to get any compensation.  Maybe even get a cheaper rate

11 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon from Southampton. Not doing much here, as we didn’t have an excursion and walking is still somewhat hard for me due to knees and back issues. Yesterday we docked in Dorset and went to Stonehenge. 

I am pleased to read of good news for many. Continued prayers for those in need and Cheers to those celebrating. 

IMG_9890.thumb.jpeg.1b34d23ec3e9915ca2abfbdb8a58910c.jpeg

Vanessa, how nice to see you there at Stonehenge!  And what a sunny day you had!  Hope your knees are feeling better.  Thanks for checking in with us.

6 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Aloha from Hilo.

I so appreciate all the kindness from my cruise critic/daily friends. After being discharged from Hilo hospital yesterday,  we spent the afternoon and evening at this beautiful little Airbnb on the north edge of the city. We did need to Lyft over to CVS/Longs Drugs to fill my scripts from the hospital Dr.

It rained much of the night, so between the birds and critters of the forest, it was SO MUCH nicer than the loud noises of the hospital and being awaken often for blood pressure checks, new IV's and with shared rooms, the other patient.

The mattress and pillows were so nice after the hospital. 

20230503_135037.jpg

20230503_134832.jpg

20230503_134817.jpg

20230503_134940.jpg

20230503_135250.jpg

20230503_135121.jpg

20230503_135023.jpg

20230503_134935.jpg

20230503_134927.jpg

It's so good to hear you doing well at the AirBnB, and not in that noisy hospital.  As much as they help the patients, there is no way to have a good night's sleep there.  Noise from staff and other patients, doing vitals at night, even taking blood at 4 am!  They did that to me last time, two nights in a row.  Just flipped on the lights, came in and stuck a needle in my arm!  Arrgghhh!  Hope you hear about your flights soon and get to head to your own bed.  Even if it is nice being in Hawaii!

20 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Well, my dental visit today was not a good one.  It looks like there are a few cavities but all can be handled in one sitting.  She also decided that one of my teeth has to go.  I'm definitely not looking forward to that.

Roy

Well, that's not good news, but what can you do?  I hope she is gentle with the needle!

We have dentist appointments in the morning.  We go to our local hygienist for cleanings, which we did in March/April.  But the dentist moved to another town and another practice so we're heading there to have bitewings and oral exams from him.  We don't like the dentist they replaced him with at the local practice.  If he sees any issues, he will be the one doing the work!  I'm gonna have him check out the crown the bad dentist did and see if he sees anything odd about it.  Sometimes it bothers me and I'm not going back to the guy that did it.  No way!  After the appointment we are probably heading to a Mexican restaurant for Cinco de Mayo!  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I'm delighted you are enjoying the cruise.  A couple of things, one for you and one in general.  I was in Prince Rupert many years ago, arriving by train and leaving by ferry.  At the time the area where cruise ships apparently dock appeared very dilapidated and quite far below the level of town.  Does the dock appear to be recently upgraded and how tough a walk is it to get from the dock to town?

As kind of a comment I see at least one live thread on this cruise, done by a poster with a handle starting with DrK.  I'm baffled, he starts with "This is probably my last HAL cruise" in his opening post and does nothing thereafter but complain.  I can't figure why he is even bothering, except maybe that his constant negativity is cathartic for him.  It does sound though that it was wise for me to book Club Orange for my November Rotterdam cruise.

Roy

Roy we walked right off the ship, crossed the street to the gardens and then on into town. It was all very close and IMO looked just fine. 
I know what thread you’re talking about, I even posted our experiences on that thread. I think this person had a bad boarding experience and since then is finding fault with HAL for everything. 
This cruise is full and also has lots of large family groups just like many other Pacific Coastals. With Club Orange we haven’t had the problems we would have without it. We haven’t tried to see any shows on the main stage either (no interest) but we haven’t had any problems getting a seat at BB King as long as we go early and sit up on deck 3. I think between having CO and “knowing the ropes” we have no complaints. Not even any billing problems this time. 😄

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dfish said:

Thank you, @kazu Jacqui, for adding to our good news list this morning with your report from the surgeon and an update on the Ivan status.  I sure hope the vet is pleased and I know you'll send him to be groomed if he passes the vet challenge.  Can't wait to see him then!  My sister's dog is some kind of doodle and she always looks really good right after being at the groomer.  

LOL Debbie - I already have him booked at my groomer for Monday.  I would never take a dog there without the appropriate shots.  she doesn’t ask for the certificates from me as she knows me all too well.

Ivan rarely gets groomed so he’s in for a new experience - she’s gentle, takes her time, gives him a break if he doesn’t like something and talks to him and I’m sure he’ll happily go back after. A dog like him is similar to Miko and needs to go every couple of months - not every 6 - 9 months.

A year ago she limited the size of her dogs but since M & M (Marley and Mko) were good boys and I a good client, they continued to go.  Ivan is slightly over her weight limit I think and I’ve told her that.  She’s grandfathering me.  How lucky am I.  she was a wonderful vet tech and did this part time and then full time.  My dogs have gone to her for years - it’s perfect - she only has one dog at a time and focuses on them.

And even better as a vet tech, she has alerted me to things over the years that we don’t see unless you are grooming.  When she was doing Fox she sent me a pic and said get her to the vet.  It turned out not to be cancer but it definitely had to be addressed.  She’s a blessing and she may spot things on Ivan’s skin that the vets may miss that either need to be addressed or she has recommendations to help.  

7 hours ago, 0106 said:

I have been with Allianz for years - for additional top up insurance (cancellation) as well as regular medical.  Over the years - we’ve had few claims - stolen camera (paid quickly), and my medical visit in Barcelona (paid).  But certain things weren’t paid.  They were nominal and not an issue.

I have not spoken about this a lot but….. right now I am in a fight to have them pay for my surgery in PV - $30,000+  The surgeon did tell me they declined but didn’t know why.  He said I needed it and I had no guidance from insurance so I proceeded.  I called them endlessly on hold for hours and they didn’t call me at the hospital.  When I got home, I had 12 voice mails from them calling me at home.  WTH?  They knew I was in PV as I called the moment I was there and they were talking to the hospital.

Their excuse has changed from it wasn’t emergency surgery (it was) to the hospital told them I could fly home with a nurse and have it done here (they didn’t) and they arranged no flight for me until well after I was already home.  It would have been far too late for me to have the surgery without the surgeons having to amend the new one growth.  I suspect there was a language barrier - but, I’m formally declined and now appealing.  My surgeon here is livid.  When he saw me, he told me I absolutely did the right thing.

I think it was a language barrier thing.  I’m not sure.  I had no problem but I speak some Spanish and my ortho there was fluent.

I also think that all insurance companies are looking for “outs”.  I am appealing it and have some backing.  I won’t leave it unturned as I am bitter about being stranded by HAL on a misdiagnosis IMO and the insurance company.  I don’t know if my situation is the norm but it’s shocking to me.  I’ll fight though, never fear.

There’s no guarantees but definitely research and use the insure my trip, etc.  If you are looking for an annual policy, check out CAA/AA’s annual policy.  We had that at one time as well.

Good luck finding good coverage.  We never travelled without it but this time it didn’t work out for me.

2 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Eva @superoma you can take me off the Celebrations list. I’m sleeping in my bed, just need to be sure I don’t roll onto my back. 😉

YIPPEE.  Use pillows, whatever you have to. Happy to hear you can sleep in bed 👍 

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

It does sound though that it was wise for me to book Club Orange for my November Rotterdam cruise.

Roy

the first thing I will do now on any Pinnacle Class ship I am on is book Club Orange.  I did it on the koningsdam to move from a guarantee to the cabin of my choice.  I had no idea of how much better the dining would be.  And yes, I ate in the MDR for lunch and dinner once.  Once was enough.

Club Orange is worth it IMO.

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Oh so sorry. 😔. Losing a tooth is no fun at all 😔 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, kazu said:

LOL Debbie - I already have him booked at my groomer for Monday.  I would never take a dog there without the appropriate shots.  she doesn’t ask for the certificates from me as she knows me all too well.

Ivan rarely gets groomed so he’s in for a new experience - she’s gentle, takes her time, gives him a break if he doesn’t like something and talks to him and I’m sure he’ll happily go back after. A dog like him is similar to Miko and needs to go every couple of months - not every 6 - 9 months.

A year ago she limited the size of her dogs but since M & M (Marley and Mko) were good boys and I a good client, they continued to go.  Ivan is slightly over her weight limit I think and I’ve told her that.  She’s grandfathering me.  How lucky am I.  she was a wonderful vet tech and did this part time and then full time.  My dogs have gone to her for years - it’s perfect - she only has one dog at a time and focuses on them.

And even better as a vet tech, she has alerted me to things over the years that we don’t see unless you are grooming.  When she was doing Fox she sent me a pic and said get her to the vet.  It turned out not to be cancer but it definitely had to be addressed.  She’s a blessing and she may spot things on Ivan’s skin that the vets may miss that either need to be addressed or she has recommendations to help.  

I have been with Allianz for years - for additional top up insurance (cancellation) as well as regular medical.  Over the years - we’ve had few claims - stolen camera (paid quickly), and my medical visit in Barcelona (paid).  But certain things weren’t paid.  They were nominal and not an issue.

I have not spoken about this a lot but….. right now I am in a fight to have them pay for my surgery in PV - $30,000+  The surgeon did tell me they declined but didn’t know why.  He said I needed it and I had no guidance from insurance so I proceeded.  I called them endlessly on hold for hours and they didn’t call me at the hospital.  When I got home, I had 12 voice mails from them calling me at home.  WTH?  They knew I was in PV as I called the moment I was there and they were talking to the hospital.

Their excuse has changed from it wasn’t emergency surgery (it was) to the hospital told them I could fly home with a nurse and have it done here (they didn’t) and they arranged no flight for me until well after I was already home.  It would have been far too late for me to have the surgery without the surgeons having to amend the new one growth.  I suspect there was a language barrier - but, I’m formally declined and now appealing.  My surgeon here is livid.  When he saw me, he told me I absolutely did the right thing.

I think it was a language barrier thing.  I’m not sure.  I had no problem but I speak some Spanish and my ortho there was fluent.

I also think that all insurance companies are looking for “outs”.  I am appealing it and have some backing.  I won’t leave it unturned as I am bitter about being stranded by HAL on a misdiagnosis IMO and the insurance company.  I don’t know if my situation is the norm but it’s shocking to me.  I’ll fight though, never fear.

There’s no guarantees but definitely research and use the insure my trip, etc.  If you are looking for an annual policy, check out CAA/AA’s annual policy.  We had that at one time as well.

Good luck finding good coverage.  We never travelled without it but this time it didn’t work out for me.

YIPPEE.  Use pillows, whatever you have to. Happy to hear you can sleep in bed 👍 

the first thing I will do now on any Pinnacle Class ship I am on is book Club Orange.  I did it on the koningsdam to move from a guarantee to the cabin of my choice.  I had no idea of how much better the dining would be.  And yes, I ate in the MDR for lunch and dinner once.  Once was enough.

Club Orange is worth it IMO.

Oh so sorry. 😔. Losing a tooth is no fun at all 😔 

I'm really sorry to hear you had a big rejection for a claim.

Allianz has been responsive to get our flights booked and got us a nice car and driver that picked us up in Hilo and dropped us at the Kona airport, nearly 2 hour drive, just a short time ago.  The Noordam put part of the medical center balance due on my Visa card, maxing it out, after I signed a promissory note onboard for it and told them I would need to get home before paying it. You shouldn't move money on a hospital WiFi that is not secure.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, 0106 said:

Tina

GEEO is the group. Jessie, who runs the show, is amazing. When I had my accident, I contacted him to see if he knew whether the trip was doable in a cast. He arranged a three way conversation with our guide in Iceland to make sure I would be able to do most activities. Other than hiking up and down a glacier, I enjoyed every moment of the trip. Francois, our guide, a local, knew so much about the Country and each of the various environments. 

I plan to use GEEO for my trip to Egypt. It has been at the top of my bucket list for decades.

https://geeo.org/

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

We will never use them again. Worst experience ever. We had a sizeable claim and they tried their hardest to make us give up. Different information every day. We persevered, finally

got our $$ and never will use them again. 

Allianz did the same thing. One major problem and I hope this ok to say but their claims office is in India and I could not understand what the agent was saying. Finally talked with someone I could understand and he told me I still needed more info after sending documents over a six week time frame. I told the agent, Read the docs I just sent you. The Info is in the docs in black and white.” He responded by agreeing with me and two weeks later my claim seemed to be approved. No money yet!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Allianz did the same thing. One major problem and I hope this ok to say but their claims office is in India and I could not understand what the agent was saying. Finally talked with someone I could understand and he told me I still needed more info after sending documents over a six week time frame. I told the agent, Read the docs I just sent you. The Info is in the docs in black and white.” He responded by agreeing with me and two weeks later my claim seemed to be approved. No money yet!

That sounds like their M. O. with us. I don’t know how many times we sent them the information they requested. And a different person every day with different information. We felt like we were taking 1 step forward, 3 steps backward each time. I know they didn’t want to reimburse a $40,000 claim. We had used them for a few years but this was our first claim. We finally were made “whole” but the experience was so bad we won’t risk that again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1