Symphony - Venice 9/15 to 9/18 2023

Cruise-y

Crystal’s website shows Symphony arriving in Venice on 9/15 but not leaving until 9/18. Does anyone know what this gap means? I assume it’s not possible to do an onboard B2B over that gap? Thanks. 

6 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

Crystal’s website shows Symphony arriving in Venice on 9/15 but not leaving until 9/18. Does anyone know what this gap means? I assume it’s not possible to do an onboard B2B over that gap? Thanks. 

Its a private hire.

All passengers have to get off the ship.

Passengers can do a sort of B2B only if they get off the ship mooch around Venice and then get back onboard three days later with all their luggage.

The Crystal website should make it clear that the ship does or does not dock in Venice as many cruise ships over a certain size are banned.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zele said:

Passengers can do a sort of B2B only if they get off the ship mooch around Venice and then get back onboard three days later with all their luggage.

Just wondering did you ask Crystal if you have to take all your luggage off the ship if you are doing a B2B with this three day gap?

Keith

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

Just wondering did you ask Crystal if you have to take all your luggage off the ship if you are doing a B2B with this three day gap?

Keith

Keith,

Our TA, ourselves and Crystal didn't notice the three day gap as Crystal gave us a confirmed booking with a B2B discount.   When we noticed the three days our TA contacted them.   

Crystal then confirmed and apologised that it wasn't a B2B and that we would have to leave the ship. 

We asked whether we could leave our luggage on board in a safe place.  They said yes but a day later said no.  We cancelled the cruise and moved our deposit to a later cruise.

What alarmed our TA was that the internal Crystal cruise schedule document made no mention of a private hire.   

Rod      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zele said:

Keith,

Our TA, ourselves and Crystal didn't notice the three day gap as Crystal gave us a confirmed booking with a B2B discount.   When we noticed the three days our TA contacted them.   

Crystal then confirmed and apologised that it wasn't a B2B and that we would have to leave the ship. 

We asked whether we could leave our luggage on board in a safe place.  They said yes but a day later said no.  We cancelled the cruise and moved our deposit to a later cruise.

What alarmed our TA was that the internal Crystal cruise schedule document made no mention of a private hire.   

Rod      

Thanks, Rod for getting back to me.  Sorry you couldn't leave the luggage for the few days.  I am glad you were able to find another cruise.

Keith

@Zelesaid " The Crystal website should make it clear that the ship does or does not dock in Venice as many cruise ships over a certain size are banned. "

Agree,  I would be very disappointed if I had booked this and the ship did not dock in Venice proper.  That is what the website says.  If not, it should read like the next cruise visiting Rome:    "Rome (Civitavecchia)"

@Zele  said:  We asked whether we could leave our luggage on board in a safe place.  They said yes but a day later said no.

Must be a reason I can't think of for this, as it would seemingly make sense.  I wonder when the three day gap was posted on the website if it was not always there? 

There is a second 3 day gap. A cruise ends in Venice (well, somewhere nearby) Oct. 6 and there isn't  another cruise available to book until Oct. 9 sailing from Athens. Are those 2 gaps for all of Manfredi's nearest and dearest?

Patty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, History&Wine said:

@Zelesaid " The Crystal website should make it clear that the ship does or does not dock in Venice as many cruise ships over a certain size are banned. "

Agree,  I would be very disappointed if I had booked this and the ship did not dock in Venice proper.  That is what the website says.  If not, it should read like the next cruise visiting Rome:    "Rome (Civitavecchia)"

@Zele  said:  We asked whether we could leave our luggage on board in a safe place.  They said yes but a day later said no.

Must be a reason I can't think of for this, as it would seemingly make sense.  I wonder when the three day gap was posted on the website if it was not always there? 

The ship restritions for Venice have been pretty well known for the last year. This from Mr. Google;

The ban applies to ships that are are larger than 25,000 GRT, are greater than 180 meters in length, are taller than 35 meters, or have "a production exceeding 0.1% of sulfur." If your ship exceeds those limits, it will need to moor on the mainland.

Viking Ocean and a number of others are using Trieste.

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

There is a second 3 day gap. A cruise ends in Venice (well, somewhere nearby) Oct. 6 and there isn't  another cruise available to book until Oct. 9 sailing from Athens. Are those 2 gaps for all of Manfredi's nearest and dearest?

Patty

Since they are likely docking in Trieste, the "gap" may be to allow for some work to be done in the shipyard.

8 hours ago, History&Wine said:

Symphony exceeds the tonnage and length restrictions for Venice. I would hope Crystal would list the actual port of call.

Trieste is over 70 miles from Venice...

Venice is now not a good place to visit from a cruise ship.

Those days are gone.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, History&Wine said:

The reason for the 'Yes & No' was that the 'management' overruled the inexperienced  'clerks' handling the bookings.

The three day gap was always on the Crystal website.   Our TA and ourselves didn't notice it as voyage one ended in Venice and voyage two started there, hence the assumption it was a B2B.  It was our fault for not checking the dates thoroughly enough and Crystal for not being explicit enough in their literature.

It also highlighted the fact that Venice, becasue of cruise ship restrictions, may not be the actual port where the ship docks.  We wonder whether there are other ports like Majorca / Mallorca where no more than three cruise ships can dock per day.       

I have no idea what the gap is. If I was a betting person (and I don't bet) I don't think it has anything to do with a dry dock. Why?  Because it is hard for me to imagine that with the work going on now and with a dry dock coming up after Serenity goes through hers there would be a need for three more days and if you look at the schedule you will see another three day gap at the end of the October 6 cruise.  As I often say time will tell because those on board these cruises will find out what the gaps are all about. Either way there are gaps of three days.

Zele that was a true no no by Crystal but my guess is that since the full blown system is not available yet for TA's to do bookings themselves that maybe this is done manual because surely a full blown system would have prevented a back to back to be created.  In the meantime, the reservation person should have noticed this as should your TA have. I do remember from day one people posting on another site about this as I know people who wanted to book a back to back and realized they could not.  

I remember the first time we sailed Venice and it was on the Grand Princess which at the time was the largest cruise ship before RCI took that honor. We had an overnight in Venice and were docked downtown.  I believe that was in 1997. How times have changed. Last time we were in Venice was on back to backs in 2019 and could dock at the port that was I believe about a mile walk into the downtown area of Venice.  I know since then more restrictions have taken place.  

On a positive note this is a nice time to visit the Med with less heat and humidity.  Venice though will be very crowded as it seems to be most months of the year with an exception for a couple of months.

Keith

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Since they are likely docking in Trieste, the "gap" may be to allow for some work to be done in the shipyard.

It could well be a media or other PR event. 

• Like 1

I followed up with Crystal about where the ship will dock. Here goes.

In Venice the pier will be Fusina Number 4 but guests will have to check in at Station to drop off luggage, go through screening, clearance and then onto terminal busses which will take them to the Fusina pier which is approximately 20 to 25 minutes away.  Local immigration requires them to check in a Fusina so if they go directly to the ship they cannot board.

Keith

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

In Venice the pier will be Fusina Number 4 but guests will have to check in at Station to drop off luggage, go through screening, clearance and then onto terminal busses which will take them to the Fusina pier which is approximately 20 to 25 minutes away.  Local immigration requires them to check in a Fusina so if they go directly to the ship they cannot board.

Keith

Ugh auto spell correct.

It should read.

In Venice the pier will be Fusina Number 4 but guests will have to check in at Stazione to drop off luggage, go through screening, clearance and then onto terminal busses which will take them to the Fusina pier which is approximately 20 to 25 minutes away.  Local immigration requires them to check in at Stazione so if they go directly to the ship they cannot board.

Keith

Thanks Keith! This is very helpful because my wife and I will be sailing out of Venice on Sept 18. And don't let the naysayers on this Board get to you. They keep beating a dead horse with their fake news and theories because they are desperate for NC to fail. It's the only reason they continue to post.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, avalon244 said:

Thanks Keith! This is very helpful because my wife and I will be sailing out of Venice on Sept 18. And don't let the naysayers on this Board get to you. They keep beating a dead horse with their fake news and theories because they are desperate for NC to fail. It's the only reason they continue to post.

Truth!

• Like 2