Self-carry your luggage onto the ship?

Shawn5

We've self-carried our luggage off a ship a few times, mainly because of early flights. But what are the pros and cons of self-carrying your luggage onto the ship?

We're sailing out of Seattle in June and won't board until around 2:00. Would prefer to unpack right away instead of waiting X hours for our luggage to be delivered. Thoughts?

By the time I get to the ship I can't wait to hand off my luggage including a carry on if I have one. We normally arrive early and lots of times my luggage has made it to the room before we have.

Having to use the elevator in the terminal then dragging it up the ramps and then waiting for an elevator once on the ship which now are crazy busy especially on embarkation day is a nope from me.

If sail away is at 4PM isn't trying for a 2 PM arrival kind of risky?

I personally love and always and only do carry on luggage. For me I like to quickly go to my cabin which is always ready when I'm bored so I could quickly unpack. In my mind once I have finished unpacking in 1.2.3. to my vacation has officially begun.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Shawn5 said:

We've self-carried our luggage off a ship a few times, mainly because of early flights. But what are the pros and cons of self-carrying your luggage onto the ship?

We're sailing out of Seattle in June and won't board until around 2:00. Would prefer to unpack right away instead of waiting X hours for our luggage to be delivered. Thoughts?

Carry on luggage will fit thru the security scanners, a full size suitcase will not.  That's why people don't do it.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, suekel said:

Carry on luggage will fit thru the security scanners, a full size suitcase will not.  That's why people don't do it.  

Excellent point and that alone disqualifies me from ever attempting this lol.

• Like 2

My back is already causing problems.  Throwing it out on the first day of a cruise would not be worth any perceived value of having the luggage instantly available.

Id rather drop it off with the porters as I enter the terminal (or at the airport if that is still an option) and get started with the day! Id rather check in with my muster station and settle in to the MDR for a lunch (as I probably didnt have breakfast).

Many years ago, probably in a fit of insanity, we decided to do carry on only, using our big backpacking packs. With all the straps and belt cinched down, they did fit through the scanners just fine. But it was much more of a nuisance than it was a benefit. Never did it again.

While I could travel light, I go with someone who cannot.  Therefor it’s a nonstarter.  I would love to unpack before I begin my first beer.  But it hasn’t worked out that way yet and I don’t expect it ever will.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, suekel said:

We have put our 26 inch suitcases through the scanners with no problem at all on a couple of occasions. 

the bigger issue is trying to get an elevator with suitcases.  Elevators the first day are very busy! 

Edited by Shelly97060
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BamaVol said:

While I could travel light, I go with someone who cannot.  Therefor it’s a nonstarter.  I would love to unpack before I begin my first beer.  But it hasn’t worked out that way yet and I don’t expect it ever will.

We board then go directly to Good Times for our first beer, then visit the Muster station then head to our cabin to watch the video.  I found our muster location in the app which was very helpful.  If our luggage doesn't beat us it normally arrives soon after and we are good to go after that.

14 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

We have put our 26 inch suitcases through the scanners with no problem at all on a couple of occasions. 

the bigger issue is trying to get an elevator with suitcases.  Elevators the first day are very busy! 

We do the same, but the port people will try to discourage you.  The last time it happened to me at Fort L when the staff told me I would need to check the Pullman bag that had fit through just a few months before, I asked to see a supervisor.   It slowed me down, but I wanted to make my point.  The supervisor admitted that the Pullman would fit, but he shared that the issue was people who try to carry on a Pullman, but then get to the scanner and can't lift it onto the belt.  

That I can understand.  If it ever happens again, I'll ask to see a supervisor again, at least until I get to the point where I can't lift a 45 pound Pullman bag onto the security conveyor.

26 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Bringing at least some bags on, if not all, has never stopped me from opening a beer prior to getting unpacked.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

Just start coughing when the doors are about to open.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Haha 5

Ha. Ha. I like steelers 36 approach!  We usually just take our carryon and leave the larger bags for the porters to deal with.  Our carryon usually is only a backpack anyway.  Head over to either upper deck main pool bar or the back deck bar.  First beverage of choice is usually a captain’s bounty.😎

So,just so you can unpack your swimsuit ten minutes earlier, you’re going to obstruct everyone else at embarkation? Not to mention tying up the elevator while handicapped people have to wait, all when there’s an efficient system in place to make things easier for you and those around you?

Don’t be selfish and just drop your luggage where it’s meant to be dropped. 

• Like 2

I’ve carried on whenever I only had one rolling suitcase and a tote.  It had only been a hassle when we boarded way earlier than cabins were ready, but was still manageable.  When I sailed out of Seattle, we checked 4 bags at the port.  The first arrived to the room a little after 3 pm.  The last one didn’t get there until 6 or 7pm.  

46 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Bringing at least some bags on, if not all, has never stopped me from opening a beer prior to getting unpacked.

My carryon is small and light. I don’t mind carrying it to the bar and hanging it on the back of the stool.

2 hours ago, Shawn5 said:

maybe if you tell us how many and size of bags you are considering, then hopefully you will get some answers that help you decide....good luck 🙂

58 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

So,just so you can unpack your swimsuit ten minutes earlier, you’re going to obstruct everyone else at embarkation? Not to mention tying up the elevator while handicapped people have to wait, all when there’s an efficient system in place to make things easier for you and those around you?

Don’t be selfish and just drop your luggage where it’s meant to be dropped. 

How is schlepping your own bag onto the ship  obstructing " everyone else at embarkation" if all I have is a backpack and a pullman and am able to toss them both onto the conveyor?

More often than not, the ones obstructing everyone else are those who aren't prepared for the security scanners and act like it's their first time.

• Like 1

I've never understood why anyone does this, it's a pain.  I do carry mine off if I don't have a flight to speed disembarkation.  If there's something I want before my luggage would arrive, I put it in my backpack and carry that on (like a pair of shorts or a bathing suit).

We ALWAYS carry all our luggage onto the ship and as long as the suitcase isn't over 18 inches wide it'll fit fine through the ships scanners. 

If the people have to wait for another elevator, so be it, it won't be long before another arrives.  They won't run out of food. 

Lots of people disembark the ship carrying all their luggage so why no do so when getting on the ship? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Shawn5 said:

Pros and cons have been covered well by others. I don't bring much luggage with me when I'm cruising, so the biggest con for me is that I have to lug everything all the way to the cabin (including up some stairs). I'd still rather keep my stuff with me and not have to worry about where it is and when it will come. Obviously, others have different opinions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shawn5 said:

Yes, you may carry luggage on yourself as long as it fits through X-ray scanner at Seattle port and if security doesn’t tell you otherwise. Only you can decide the pros and cons.

• Like 3