Anyone ever had Carnival lose your luggage?

love4monsters

3 hours ago, sgttami said:

Happened to my mom a few years ago. It cost her $125 to get her missing bag from Seattle back to NJ.  It was clearly the cruise lines fault since the bag was never taken off the ship.

This was on CELEBRITY, her favorite cruise line!

Mother should have listened to daughter for once.  I told her, CARRY ON, CARRY OFF (LOL).

Happy they located your bag.  This can happen on any line.

so does your Mother cruise with a different cruise line now?

Just now, sgttami said:

No,  She knows that sometimes SHIP happens!

Good for her. I am of the same mind!

I feel in this day and age if I stopped dealing with every place that had bad customer service I woudn't have many places left to shop.

Thanks for the quick response

• Like 3

5 hours ago, love4monsters said:

Quick update - bag was located but Carnival emailed to tell us they will let us know the cost of shipping the bag. Are they actually serious???????

I was already on board looking at MSC cruises while on the Magic. Time to try a new line . Our son is older and ready to branch out too!

Carnival's liability, even if it somehow was their fault, is limited. It's in the ticket contract. That is what insurance is for. 

• Like 2

Holy moly. Luggage is another area where Carnival is better than MSC.

8.7 MSC is not liable for any loss of or damage to the Passenger’s luggage or for the loss or damage of contents of the Passenger’s luggage whilst on-board the Cruise or in the custody or under the control of any Port or any other third-party Service Provider.

This happened to me returning on the Mardi Gras in Port Canaveral last year. I think someone picked up my bag by mistake and then put it back in the wrong area. Anyway it was a very stressful situation. Carnival paid to have my bag returned to me. I have a Carnival cruise in a few weeks. I've already purchased an AirTag for my bag. 

I wrote about my experience.

Ugh. That sucks.  I would email guest services and hopefully they will pay to have it shipped to you.

This is another reason I am committed to doing carry on only.  After the debacle that was lost luggage in Europe last year, I am doing carry on online even when I have a generous baggage allowance simply because I no longer trust luggage to be out of my sight. I have found that when you only take what you truly need, there is no need to check luggage.  Albeit, I realize this isn't possible for people with restricted mobility.  

Everyone has the option to manage their own luggage. Handing it over YOU accept the risks. It is the port authority that is responsible for the luggage. You are left to their requirements to receive an unclaimed bag and their requirements. Carnival is the passthrough.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival's liability, even if it somehow was their fault, is limited. It's in the ticket contract. That is what insurance is for. 

You're going to find that EVERY cruise line's liability is limited. Anyway, hope you enjoy whatever line(s) to which you branch out. WE have, overall, enjoyed every line we've been on.

Well, this sounds like another cutback.  In past, it has been reported the cruise lines get the bag back to you at not cost to you.  Just like the airlines do.  No first hand experience on this one.  Perhaps you can file an insurance claim to the shipping charge?

52 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Well, this sounds like another cutback.  In past, it has been reported the cruise lines get the bag back to you at not cost to you.  Just like the airlines do.  No first hand experience on this one.  Perhaps you can file an insurance claim to the shipping charge?

US airlines are regulated by law. They also get bailouts and other perks. There is no comparison.

2 hours ago, cruiseguy56 said:

You're going to find that EVERY cruise line's liability is limited. Anyway, hope you enjoy whatever line(s) to which you branch out. WE have, overall, enjoyed every line we've been on.

Of course it is. And people still don't read the ticket contract.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve heard of it happening but I think it’s pretty uncommon. If you think about how many pieces of luggage they process I’m sure the % is pretty low. But just as with the airlines, it does happen. I have AirTags in all my luggage and it’s a nice way to keep track of them. 

• Like 2

Everyone can judge the risk.  I have heard occasional stories of bags being delivered to the wrong stateroom or the very rare 'accidentally dumped into the sea off the dock'.  I'm guessing the latter is one in 10,000.

What we never do is check bags at DISEMBARKATION.  All bags look alike and while I have high confidence in the shoreside staff, my fellow cruisers are another matter!  That big bullpen just isn't secure enough for me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

I have AirTags in all my luggage and it’s a nice way to keep track of them. 

We used AirTags on our last cruise and found they didn’t work great during embarkation.  Kept showing our bags still in the terminal.  Our bags did end up being down around the corner in front of another cabin and AirTag didn’t help.  They definitely worked better on debarkation day in the terminal. 

• Like 1

Not lost but the 1 thing that did happen at the Port of NO was it was a torrential down pour and we received two out of three bags soaked to the bone, new luggage was bought shortly after that cruise.

We've had 2 issues w/luggage (out of 25 cruises) and now only travel with carry-ons.

The first was a lost bag (lost for the first 3 days of a 7 day cruise) but it really wasn't Carnival's fault.  From what I understand, multiple teenage boys were sharing the room next door and grabbed it while moving their luggage in (not realizing it didn't belong to any of them).  And yes, leave it up to teenage boys to not realize, even after it sat in their room for days, that it wasn't one of theirs.  The cabin steward finally figured it out.

The other issue was more recent - a damaged bag - it arrived with a wheel torn off (and a sharp screw sticking out where the wheel used to be) and a 3 inch tear in the bag itself (fortunately nothing damaged/missing).  

I'm not necessarily freaked out about Carnival and checked luggage, it's just easier overall to travel with just a carry-on (on the flights and the cruise) since we have to fly to nearly every port. 

We have also had Southwest lose our checked bags on the way to a cruise.

Maybe we just have bad luck with luggage.

I had a bag that we had to search for. It was finally found sitting on the wrong deck for who knows why. 

A tablemate on rcl used the rcl air to be flown in, so the airline lost her bag, not actually rcl though she blamed them since it was all through them. She worked for them in Portland as a rep. She took it a lot better than I would have. She also had the insurance.  She bought some rcl tee shirts in the stores and some bottoms in cozumel. She wore the tee shirts and new pants to formal night and laughed. Her luggage apparently was lost without a trace.

A family on rcl was wearing rcl bathrobes around and freaking out. She said her luggage got left behind at the port in Galveston. They gave her $400 to spend onboard. 2 small kids and a husband. She didnt take it very well. Idk if her luggage ever made it during the cruise.

I haven't seen it lost on carnival yet.

I've seen ot first hand twice. 

8 hours ago, rellersi said:

never had them lose luggage, but they did break a piece once. no damage to anything inside. They did replace it with a larger one

Same here. I almost didn't report it to Guest Services but figured $50 was $50 if that was all they offered. Walked away with a new suitcase from in the back and they disposed of the broken one. 

10 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

We used AirTags on our last cruise and found they didn’t work great during embarkation.  Kept showing our bags still in the terminal.

This happened to us, too. The AirTag notification kept warning us that my bag was still at the terminal as the ship was sailing away. It was a tense hour and a half before the bag did indeed arrive. I guess when the bag is deep in the hold of the ship, it can't ping any iPhones nearby to update its location.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1