New Crystal Financial Stabilty

offtoalaska

1 minute ago, nnn said:

Except you haven't been fooled even once yet by NC.  I am truly puzzled how so many folks seem to think this is the same company, simply because they took the name.  If they had called themselves any other name, would we see the same comments?

This is SUCH an excellent point! My expectation is that much of the *cruise experience* will be similar because these are the same ships, with (as Keith has painstakingly explained) many of the same crew on board. And, of course, the fact that the new company has made such an effort to get the word out that it WILL be a similar cruising experience, so clearly that's their intent. 

But the *ownership and management* is a completely different company, so my expectation is that working with them will be very different. How can we hold against them something done by an entirely different entity?

I had my own less-than-positive experiences working with Crystal management many years ago, but I never had anything but a fabulous cruise experience. So I can't help but think this is a good thing.

And of course this is all speculation for now...but not blind speculation, as we do have enough info to formulate our opinions. 🙂 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bitob said:

Fortunately no other poster is offering unsubstantiated guesstimates. I would react similarly to any poster that did so. These are not facts. Wishful thinking of course Might be true might not be. No one will know until the ships sail. Many - some  - half - one third. Right now it’s pure speculation. 

compare with cheddar biscuit 

deep dive into statistics

meaningful

Well I guess the percentage from the person in charge from A&K wasn't good enough.  My posts are no different.  

Patty is so right.

The good news is I am very thick skinned and I will continue to share information as I know many do appreciate it.

Yep, many.

On a related note I was right about the two Ocean Vessels not being sold and there would be a buyer and that they would buy the Crystal name and other related information.

But I didn't have statistics on that one.

When I have statistics I provide them. When I know something for sure I state that or when the information comes from someone who knows for sure I state that. And when it is my opinion I state that.

And one thing for sure I have always posted here under the same CC member name and I spend the bulk of my posting time following cruise lines that either I still think positively about or sail and in the case of other areas such as ports places I have enjoyed or plan to visit.

I don't waste my time constantly bashing anyone else nor do I bash cruise lines for cities.

I realize for some they get happiness in other ways.

And when I am wrong (and I am wrong because I am human) I accept it and say I am wrong rather than going silent.  

Cheers.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, K. Sera said:

Same name, and ...

Same two ocean ships, same President *, same domain name, same 200 square foot cabins (refurbished, but still 200 square feet), same balcony-less cabins, same employees (about 80 percent of them), same connection to Nobu, and apparently Prego, and they like to take credit for their history of excellence when it's convenient. But otherwise, completely different.

* I'll save everyone some time: It was Genting's fault!

Different Owner.

Different Company overseeing this (A&K) and Senior Executive who was not with old Crystal.

Different Social Media Company

New people in several areas; Marketing & Sales, Public Relations, etc.

New Name (Crystal)

Big Changes to ships in terms of new categories, changes to several areas, new Italian Restaurant (not Prego)
Partnership with A&K for a new level of excursions.

Bottom line it is a new company building on things that guests liked and adding in new things.

The new company did do something for those guests owed money.

Even CC went to a new board recognizing this was new.

There are some of the facts.

Bottom line this is a new company that will have similarities to old Crystal with differences.

In fact, some who are now arguing that it is not new are the same ones who say how do you know what things will be like because it is new. So it goes.

Keith

• Like 6

I personally will be happy when the Serenity sails its first few itineraries and we get some feedback either way. This childish back-and-forth bickering has gotten way beyond tiresome. Give it a rest everyone, please!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9

10 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

I personally will be happy when the Serenity sails its first few itineraries and we get some feedback either way. This childish back-and-forth bickering has gotten way beyond tiresome. Give it a rest everyone, please!

YAAAAAS!!!

I have zero problem with hypotheses, speculations, cogitations, contemplations, or conjectures. But these constant snarky clap-backs are just...well, yeah, you said it Roland. 

I also see nothing wrong with being a cheerleader for a cruise line that one loves...provided it's honest, and not blind to the downsides of said cruise line. And I haven't seen any cheerleading going on that isn't, as far as I can tell, open-eyed. But maybe I'M the one who's blind? 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, nnn said:

Except you haven't been fooled even once yet by NC.  I am truly puzzled how so many folks seem to think this is the same company, simply because they took the name.  If they had called themselves any other name, would we see the same comments?

Oh please -- show me the financials of the Heritage Group....

Can you please???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Leejnd4 said:

YAAAAAS!!!

I have zero problem with hypotheses, speculations, cogitations, contemplations, or conjectures. But these constant snarky clap-backs are just...well, yeah, you said it Roland. 

I also see nothing wrong with being a cheerleader for a cruise line that one loves...provided it's honest, and not blind to the downsides of said cruise line. And I haven't seen any cheerleading going on that isn't, as far as I can tell, open-eyed. But maybe I'M the one who's blind? 😎

Careful

You might be excoriated for calling anyone a cheerleader. Ok. Maybe YOU won’t. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Greetings.

I don't believe Crystal will be announcing the Restaurant Managers but the two lead Restaurant Mangers from the respective ships are both with NC; Leo and Remi.  

There will be a lot of familiar people coming back which is great news.

Will all be there?  No.

But year over year not everyone came back.

For example a few of the Head Waiters decided not to come back but that was before Crystal ceased operation. 

At the same time you will see some familiar faces who were with the Ocean ships and went over to other vessels such as Endeavor and are returning.

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks Keith.

More great news.

Best wishes

Colin

For those of you who will be returning to Crystal if you are looking for things to ask the crew about I would recommend asking those who were working on other ships about their experiences and they might even tell you why they have returned.  Many worked on other luxury lines and several likely will have observations to share.  You will find out that while compensation is certainly a factor as it should be there are so many other reasons why they are coming back and you will likely hear some that are very consistent amongst many of them.

Keith

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 10:46 AM, bitob said:

Loyalty to compensation, not to any cruise line. Not surprising. Many of the crew support large families back home

Are you possibly saying that although being away from home for months on end, working endless hours 7 days a week, always having to smile, always having to watch their comments, they may choose finances (in which they may get better gratuities from cruisers on some cruise lines) would go into their decision making process at all.  Tell me it is not so 🙂  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

Are you possibly saying that although being away from home for months on end, working endless hours 7 days a week, always having to smile, always having to watch their comments, they may choose finances (in which they may get better gratuities from cruisers on some cruise lines) would go into their decision making process at all.  Tell me it is not so 🙂  

I do. Many crew member support large families in their home countries. Tips are a very important part of compensation. I have no idea how compensation varies among cruise lines but I do know that tips do vary. It can amount to thousands extra over the course of a contract in some job categories. If you get to know crew well, as we often do, you will learn that for many making money for families back home is why they take these jobs 

• Like 3

On 5/18/2023 at 8:48 AM, Keith1010 said:

I don't believe Crystal will be announcing the Restaurant Managers but the two lead Restaurant Mangers from the respective ships are both with NC; Leo and Remi.  

This is such great news, Keith. We have cruises booked on both Serenity and Symphony and hope Leo and Remi will be onboard when we are. I keep in touch with just one crew member from the Symphony and he has already been back on board, back home for vacation, and getting ready to go back for the next contract. 

• Like 4

It will be wonderful to hear about the NC from passengers who sail onboard the ships.  Why anyone would choose to post on a board where the individual(s) appear(s) to be a "cheerleader" for a cruise line to fail is something that is beyond my understanding of the human psyche.  I'm so thankful that I sailed with, and met, other passengers with whom I spent time on the OC.  Hopefully, I will meet up with some of you again on the NC or other cruise line(s).

I have no doubt there will be some issues that need to be ironed out on the NC but that has been my experience on other cruise lines before and after the COVID shutdown.

IMO, the way for cruise lines to move forward is to be prepared to listen and learn from those passengers who are open to sailing on the cruise line.  If someone is choosing to denigrate a cruise line and other passengers who choose to sail on that cruise line, there is little point in listening to those individuals.  (It appears that some, or most of them, who are posting on this board have found different cruise lines that better meet their expectations/wants/needs.)    

For those crew members/staff/officers who read CC, and I can state from my interaction with specific individuals that some did in the past, you have previous passengers who are behind you 100% as you make the choice(s) that are best for you.  

We don't all have to agree on anything.  We should, however, IMO, be respectful and think of the impact of what we write and say to other individuals.  Not everyone is lucky enough to have our choices.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

6 minutes ago, mariners said:

It will be wonderful to hear about the NC from passengers who sail onboard the ships.  Why anyone would choose to post on a board where the individual(s) appear(s) to be a "cheerleader" for a cruise line to fail is something that is beyond my understanding of the human psyche.  I'm so thankful that I sailed with, and met, other passengers with whom I spent time on the OC.  Hopefully, I will meet up with some of you again on the NC or other cruise line(s).

I have no doubt there will be some issues that need to be ironed out on the NC but that has been my experience on other cruise lines before and after the COVID shutdown.

IMO, the way for cruise lines to move forward is to be prepared to listen and learn from those passengers who are open to sailing on the cruise line.  If someone is choosing to denigrate a cruise line and other passengers who choose to sail on that cruise line, there is little point in listening to those individuals.  (It appears that some, or most of them, who are posting on this board have found different cruise lines that better meet their expectations/wants/needs.)    

For those crew members/staff/officers who read CC, and I can state from my interaction with specific individuals that some did in the past, you have previous passengers who are behind you 100% as you make the choice(s) that are best for you.  

We don't all have to agree on anything.  We should, however, IMO, be respectful and think of the impact of what we write and say to other individuals.  Not everyone is lucky enough to have our choices.

Mariners

My husband and I completely agree with you.

we’ve never used the “ignore” option until recently.

It really helps!

We are so looking forward to our booked cruises on NC

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Those who think the only reason the crew is returning is money truly do not know the crew.  For many of us the crew has become an extended family and that is not just words.  We have laughed with them, shared wonderful moments, learned about their families, and even shared a few tears with them.  They are not robot like and they are a true team working together.  I have been on lines where you didn’t have that genuine sense of caring or teamwork and you could see the cliques.  Anyway, words matter.  I see similar qualities with many people I worked with.   Money was not the single driver.  People truly enjoyed working together.  It takes a special person to work on Crystal.  Not all who come on board fit that mold and that is why they do not return after that first contract.   Thankfully many people who truly know the. Crystal crew feel the same way we do.  When we boarded in July 2021 on the first voyage after the shutdown due to the Pandemic I will never forget that moment as long as I live.   I think it will be even more emotional when we return.  

My thanks to those of you have posted about the crew and about why so many of us sail Crystal and are positive.

As someone who truly loves the Crystal product I have never considered myself a cheerleader.  Rather I am a FAN of Crystal including the many people who have made Crystal so special for myself, Anne Marie and our own family.

I look forward to the restart so the conversations move to the experiences of those CC members sailing on each ship.  That I know will happen. 

Bags packed.  Can’t wait. Ready to go.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 7

On 5/18/2023 at 6:40 PM, Roland4 said:

Poppycock!

Let everyone who wants to speak their mind.

We can always tar and feather later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To say that only the crystal crew is “special” reveals the absence of any experience on other luxury lines. Ludicrous.

On silversea we were family after 2cruises. Same with regent. Now on seabourn (without a butler alas) our stateroom attendants are so great we have bought them gifts in almost every port 

crystal does not and never did have a monopoly on special crew. Sail on a few other lines and you will find out. There are great crew members across all the luxury lines 

and no one said money is the only factor in deciding which ship to work on. But it is a factor. Just ask crew members who send that money home. See how they light up when you tip. Money is not irrelevant 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bitob said:

To say that only the crystal crew is “special” reveals the absence of any experience on other luxury lines. Ludicrous.

Pretty harsh words.

We can all express our opinions without having to be on the receiving end for put downs.

After all we are giving our own opinions.

I have sailed luxury lines multiple times on two of them and I have sailed on other lines including the same ships over consecutive years several times.  I am not new to cruising having first sailed at age 12 and having sailed countless times on more than 10 different cruise lines for the past 32 years.  

Speaking for myself I have never seen crews as great as the ones we have had with Crystal and that started with our first Crystal Cruise when we didn't know them and they didn't know us.  I have seen a couple of hotels on land come close but they were boutique hotels with about 20 rooms.

And yes, for the reasons I mentioned the only reason why so many crew are returning IMHO is not solely for money but for the reasons I have mentioned.  This is my opinion.  

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since I have sailed crystal and ALL the other lines in recent years (all in the last year) I can say unequivocally that the crystal crew is no different from crews I have met on other lines 

none are robot like

all are caring with a sense of family

they marry one another

they love working together

they love the passengers and see returning passengers as friends and family. — coming home

they all share their stories and show us photos 

you haven’t seen crews as great as crystal because you only sail crystal. Makes sense

your few cruises on other lines years ago are not a fair basis for comparison. Try those lines today. All have amazing crews 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, bitob said:

Since I have sailed crystal and ALL the other lines in recent years (all in the last year) I can say unequivocally that the crystal crew is no different from crews I have met on other lines 

none are robot like

all are caring with a sense of family

they marry one another

they love working together

they love the passengers and see returning passengers as friends and family. — coming home

they all share their stories and show us photos 

you haven’t seen crews as great as crystal because you only sail crystal. Makes sense

your few cruises on other lines years ago are not a fair basis for comparison. Try those lines today. All have amazing crews 

If you'd just preface what you write with "in my opinion" most people would not question you. The problem is that your responses are for the most part, my way or the highway.

FYI, my only other "luxury" cruise experience was on the Silver Muse this past Dec. That Silversea ship on that specific cruise couldn't hold a candle to the worst experience I ever had on Crystal. IN MY OPINION

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I will continue to state my opinion and that includes sailing on a wide range of cruise lines (luxury, premium and mass market lines) including several since sailing on Crystal. We can only base our observation on our experiences.  

Again people can disagree as they alway do but they can do it respectfully without put-downs.

I also don't try to disparage someone observations on Crystal if they have sailed a few times even though I have smiled many more than that. Their experience and observations are theirs to share.  I might not agree with them but don't see a need to put them down in a disrespectful manner.

In the end the only opinion that matters is our own.

And yes I have never seen a better overall crew than I have across all of the Crystal vessels I have sailed. That is not to say we have not had good crews on other lines but none of the ones we have sailed come close to those on Crystal in so many ways.

My opinion.

I like Hamburgers with mustard.  Other like it with ketchup. But this is my opinion and that is all that matters and I don't need to be told I am wrong because it's been years since I put ketchup on a hamburger. It's my opinion as about 80-90% of what is posted on CC is.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

This makes the world go round.

• Like 3