New York City

Suttontnt

We will be sailing in July out of Manhattan Cruise terminal. We will be flying in a couple of days early to do some sightseeing. From what I have researched so far, I see that staying in Times square/Manhattan area is best for sightseeing. The question I have is which area of Manhattan is best North, South, East or West? Which hotels would be best to stay at?

10 minutes ago, Suttontnt said:

We will be sailing in July out of Manhattan Cruise terminal. We will be flying in a couple of days early to do some sightseeing. From what I have researched so far, I see that staying in Times square/Manhattan area is best for sightseeing. The question I have is which area of Manhattan is best North, South, East or West? Which hotels would be best to stay at?

I wouldn’t necessarily agree that Times Square is the best area to stay in. Maybe if you’ll see one show every night. Otherwise I would not stay there. 

What do you want to see when you get here? Do you want to take the subway or Uber? Is walking longish distances ok? 

It is true that the tourist circuit in New York City is centered on Manhattan, so if those are the sights that you're seeking visit, staying in Manhattan is most convenient (albeit at a price). A very quick geography note. The cardinal directions "north" and "south" are not used as much in Manhattan as are"uptown" and "downtown." Downtown, also known as lower Manhattan or sometimes referred to as Wall Street, is the oldest part of New York, has many tourist sights, and is the financial center of the city. Midtown, not quite the center of Manhattan but generally between 23rd Street and 59th Street, became the commercial center, and it, too, has many tourist sights. There are fewer tourist sights uptown, and commerce tends to be more local. All of this said, there is no single "best" place to stay, at least absent a definitive singular place you want to visit. Manhattan is compact enough, and public transportation, by bus and subway, is so quick and easy, one can readily stay almost anyplace and have convenience. Times Square is filled with tourists, Broadway theatres, and hucksters, and it is convenient if traveling by bus because the Port Authority Bus Terminal is one block away. There are a few places that might be a bit out of the way, but not many. If you're traveling by cruise vessel, then staying on the west side of midtown Manhattan would be most convenient in heading to and from the cruise vessel. But again, no single "best" place to stay.

Well since we have never visited New York before we weren’t really sure where to stay. We probably will be going on a tour or doing the hop on/off bus tour. So would mid town be a good location? 

5 minutes ago, Suttontnt said:

Well since we have never visited New York before we weren’t really sure where to stay. We probably will be going on a tour or doing the hop on/off bus tour. So would mid town be a good location? 

I expect you are flying in to New York.  Which airport?  This may help narrow down your search. 

59 minutes ago, Suttontnt said:

We will be flying in a couple of days early to do some sightseeing. From what I have researched so far, I see that staying in Times square/Manhattan area is best for sightseeing. The question I have is which area of Manhattan is best North, South, East or West? Which hotels would be best to stay at?

I agree with a lot of what's been written here in terms of Midtown. I would narrow your search there, but not necessarily right in the middle of Times Square. Personally I would focus on the corridor of Midtown just to the east of Times Square-- more towards 5th Ave. 

What's your budget? There are literally thousands of hotels in Manhattan and its hard to make a specific recommendation (which it sounds like you are looking for) without understanding what you are comfortable spending per night. 

Edited by princeton123211
typo

22 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I expect you are flying in to New York.  Which airport?  This may help narrow down your search. 

That hardly matters at all. You can easily get to any part of Manhattan from any of the three major airports. Prices, travel times and available modes of ground transportation may differ somewhat depending on the airport but that shouldn't make one part of Manhattan a better or worse choice than any other.

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

That hardly matters at all. You can easily get to any part of Manhattan from any of the three major airports. Prices, travel times and available modes of ground transportation may differ somewhat depending on the airport but that shouldn't make one part of Manhattan a better or worse choice than any other.

For a first-time visitor it may very well make a big difference.  Hopping on the bus at EWR and being delivered to Bryant Park is easy and painless.  Taking buses and subways from LGA to Manhattan may be a bit daunting for visitors, especially if they have luggage.

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Taking buses and subways from LGA to Manhattan may be a bit daunting for visitors, especially if they have luggage.

Not really. It should be very straight-forward for anyone of reasonable intelligence who routinely uses public transportation. Over one million people each weekday ride a bus in New York City (most transfer to the subway), many of whom are immigrants from foreign countries with limited English proficiency. A native English-speaking person should have no problem.

At LaGuardia Airport the Q70 "LaGuardia Link" express shuttle bus provides a complimentary transfer to both the Jackson Heights intermodal bus-subway terminal and the Woodside railroad station. Both the Jackson Heights terminal and the Woodside station are fully accessible, and so the elevators at each ease maneuvering with baggage. At the Jackson Heights terminal, "E" and "F" subway trains quickly whisk passengers to the Eighth Avenue and Sixth Avenue subways, respectively, for $2.75. At the Woodside station, LIRR commuter trains travel non-stop to either Pennsylvania Station or Grand Central Terminal in about 10 minutes, for $5.00 off-peak, $9.00 peak. While this is not as simple as it can be at Newark Liberty International Airport, where a single Coach USA operates directly from the passenger terminals to several bus stops along 42nd Street in midtown Manhattan, changing from an express shuttle bus to the subway or commuter train is neither complicated nor difficult.

As for those people who do not routinely use public transportation--or who cannot understand English-- then starting out doing so in New York City might be daunting. But there are not that many adults who have gone through life without having learned how to ride a bus or train! For those few people, and for those who want a car instead, then there are plenty of taxis, TNC vehicles, and black cars. Simply put, LaGuardia Airport is not significantly more or less convenient than the other New York City airport, with respect to accessibility to the various parts of Manhattan.

16 hours ago, Suttontnt said:

We like to stay within easy walking distance of Bryant Park and Times Square.  For a trip to NYC in early June, we're trying the Casablanca Hotel on West 43rd Street.  Lots of subway choices (Bronx Zoo, Yankee Stadium and Brooklyn Botanical Gardens are on our agenda for this trip) and easy to get to hotel for a rest if need be.  From this area, access to Manhattan Cruise Terminal, by taxi, very easy.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, d9704011 said:

For a first-time visitor it may very well make a big difference.  Hopping on the bus at EWR and being delivered to Bryant Park is easy and painless.  Taking buses and subways from LGA to Manhattan may be a bit daunting for visitors, especially if they have luggage.

For those who might be intimidated by taking buses and subways there are  taxis, Uber, Lyft and car services. 

The fact Is that you can easily get to anywhere in Manhattan from any airport by any number of modes of transportation. 

• Like 4

We will be in New York City on two weeks we always stay at the michealanglo great hotel with large rooms in a great location 51st and 7th , walking distance to Broadway shows, Rockefeller center, Central Park, have reservations for our favorite restaurant on restaurant row called Becco , also reservations to a show in 54 below. 

HOHO buses aren't great in NYC.  VERY hard to get on one once you get off, so OK, I guess, to do "a lap" to get your bearings, but not useful as transportation or to get off and expect to get back on without a lengthy wait.

In July it is likely going to be VERY hot and sunny on that top deck, too.

You might want to spend 30 minutes reading the NYC Forum over at TripAdvisor to get a feel for where people stay and eat and tour and what things cost.  Once you have that understanding you will know what info folks need to help you, like exact dates, budget per night, and hopefully the neighborhood that really is best for you

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nitemare said:

HOHO buses aren't great in NYC.  VERY hard to get on one once you get off, so OK, I guess, to do "a lap" to get your bearings, but not useful as transportation or to get off and expect to get back on without a lengthy wait.

In July it is likely going to be VERY hot and sunny on that top deck, too.

You might want to spend 30 minutes reading the NYC Forum over at TripAdvisor to get a feel for where people stay and eat and tour and what things cost.  Once you have that understanding you will know what info folks need to help you, like exact dates, budget per night, and hopefully the neighborhood that really is best for you

My sister in law did the hop on hop off bus a couple of times she definitely liked it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Before you decide where to stay, you must decide what type of sightseeing you want to do. Do you want typical tourist? Broadway, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Bdg, etc? Then midtown is best.

Do you want history, small cafes, the Village, Little Italy , the Highline? Then downtown is for you.

And don’t forget that Uptown Manhattan has several wonderful museums.

All can be reached to the cruise dock easily.

My suggestion is to look online for walking tours in NYC. Instead of the HOHO.

I have taken several walking tours  and always learn and see so much. I’ve done one in Central Park, one on Architecture, several foods of NY tours, and one on Alexander Hamilton places of interest.

Many hotels in any area you choose.

Do your research with a good guidebook

We like staying right above Times Square close to Columbus Circle, Rockefeller Center and Central Park. That way you’re not too far from the uptown museums if you want to visit any plus close to Broadway. Last year I stayed right next to the 9/11 museum in the financial district which was a totally different experience but also enjoyable. I think it depends on what you want to see when you’re in town. 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2023 at 4:12 PM, Got2Cruise said:

I wouldn’t necessarily agree that Times Square is the best area to stay in. Maybe if you’ll see one show every night. Otherwise I would not stay there. 

What do you want to see when you get here? Do you want to take the subway or Uber? Is walking longish distances ok? 

Price wise early December, is it better to stay at the hotels near LGA or just taxi into 48th street area near the pier? We are not looking to site see the day before the cruise.

19 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

Price wise early December, is it better to stay at the hotels near LGA or just taxi into 48th street area near the pier? We are not looking to site see the day before the cruise.

I use Kayak dot com to check prices. Most likely you can get a hotel in Long Island City or Astoria neighborhoods near LGA for less. Stick with a name brand property. 

1 hour ago, Topdog52 said:

From a strictly price view, staying at a LGA hotel is likely to save. Likely free transfer to the hotel, lower room cost, then just one taxi/Uber fare to cruise terminal. Downside would be really limited dinner options and loss of opportunity to see a bit of a wonderful city.

54 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

From a strictly price view, staying at a LGA hotel is likely to save. Likely free transfer to the hotel, lower room cost, then just one taxi/Uber fare to cruise terminal. Downside would be really limited dinner options and loss of opportunity to see a bit of a wonderful city.

TY!! We have walked around NYC a few times. Last summer we saw Battery Park and my Favorite, The wall street Bull. LOL  It may be a little chilly in Dec. to enjoy a long walk. On a Wed. morning in rush hour, do you have any Idea how long it would take to get to the Manhattan Terminal?

• Like 1