United Airlines International Flight Question

CynBeth6

On a flight from the US to Barcelona and back from Rome is there enough room under the seat for a backpack? We have been on several international flights 5 or more years ago on other airlines to other locations which could only fit a drawstring backpack so want to make sure for this summer trip. Thanks!

Edited by CynBeth6

Definitions of a "backpack" are quite vague....I mean I have hiked for two weeks in the high Sierras with a "backpack" with everything I needed...food, tent, sleeping bag, clothes, etc. And it DEFINITELY would not fit under a airline seat.

Your mention of a "drawstring" backpack (I would call that a small "daypack") is better. Yes, those, and other small day packs, fit under the seat...we travel with one frequently. But nothing bigger will fit under the seat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, CynBeth6 said:

On a flight from the US to Barcelona and back from Rome is there enough room under the seat for a backpack?

As a rule of thumb, you should be able to stow any bag that fits within the "personal item" dimensions. For UA, it looks like this is 17 x 10 x 9 inches. As the website says, "These items must fit under the seat in front of you. Common things include purses, backpacks and laptop bags." The general philosophy is that if you choose to take both a wheelie and a "personal item", the wheelie is to go into the overhead bin and the "personal item" is to go under the seat in front of you.

• Thanks 1

I am talking about a normal backpack like kids would take to school nothing special. Thank you for the responses. I would love answers from people who have flown United from the US to an international location specifically Europe to see how much room they had under the seat if the backpack will fit or if we have to bring the drawstring backpack or cinch sack whatever it is called. Thanks!

Just now, CynBeth6 said:

I am talking about a normal backpack like kids would take to school nothing special. Thank you for the responses. I would love answers from people who have flown United from the US to an international location specifically Europe to see how much room they had under the seat if the backpack will fit or if we have to bring the drawstring backpack or cinch sack whatever it is called. Thanks!

I think you received your answer(s) - the definition of backpack is vague and the airlines provide the dimensions of what can fit under the seat.  What people may or may not have experienced isn't a great way to assess what your experience may be.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

And we have also flown all over the world on UA, including Europe (and are 4 weeks from a flight SFO-AMS on United). A backpack like kids use for books will work if its not too stuffed. By the way, that style "daypack" was was I was referring in my earlier post, and similar to what we carry. But we never jam it full, unless a jacket needs to go in it for a short term issue. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CynBeth6 said:

I would love answers from people who have flown United from the US to an international location specifically Europe ...

Aircraft seats differ little from route to route. If the airline says that 17 x 10 x 9 inches should fit, then it should fit regardless of the route. There's nothing special in this respect about international flights or flights to Europe - the space under the seat in front doesn't magically increase just because the aircraft's going to a different place.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In the last two years we have flown from Houston to Athens and Barcelona (I can not remember the airline, sorry) but I use a "normal" size backpack that could accomodate a small laptop and did not pack it tightly and it fit perfectly under the seat. I will be using it again this summer.

Why must it be under the seat?  Husband always takes a small backpack on international flights (and yes, we backpacked all over Europe with the large, professional backpacks when we were much younger), but he hates to have anything by his feet, so he always puts it in the overhead compartment. I always have a small carry-on bag smaller than a duffel, and a large purse, and I keep my purse at my feet.

We just flew Icelandair in November, and they are VERY strict about sizes, and we were on Lufthansa and Swiss Air in March, with some smaller planes for connecting flights, so almost nothing at your feet. Heading to Rome in a few months on United, returning on AA from Athens, and we will have the same luggage with us again.

12 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

Why must it be under the seat?  Husband always takes a small backpack on international flights (and yes, we backpacked all over Europe with the large, professional backpacks when we were much younger), but he hates to have anything by his feet, so he always puts it in the overhead compartment.

And that small backpack takes up the bin space that would otherwise be used for a full-sized carryon.

So for your "hating to have anything by his feet", he helps to make some other passenger gate check their bag.

Simple rule to follow - full sized carryons in the bin.  And if you have a bag that fits under the seat in front of you, put it there.  Unless your needs are so much more important than others.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

And that small backpack takes up the bin space that would otherwise be used for a full-sized carryon.

So for your "hating to have anything by his feet", he helps to make some other passenger gate check their bag.

Simple rule to follow - full sized carryons in the bin.  And if you have a bag that fits under the seat in front of you, put it there.  Unless your needs are so much more important than others.

We PAY for our large bags to be checked all the time--we are not cheapskates who try to bring over-sized carry-ons on board for free like so many of the low-budget travelers today. 

If my husband wants to put his small backpack in the bin, it easily fits on top of some of the other things people try to cram in there.

And NO, small bags in the overhead NEVER make people gate check their bags once on board--that is usually done well before boarding, as the agents look at what people are trying to justify bringing on board as supposed carry-ons.

Sorry, your silly logic wins no arguments with me.  I have been flying since the 1960's, and nowadays people treat the planes likes local city buses:  eating, fighting, screaming, painting their fingernails, etc., etc. Almost gone are the days of civility--poor airline staff having to put up with all this nonsense.

Edited by LibertyBella
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, LibertyBella said:

NO, small bags in the overhead NEVER make people gate check their bags once on board--that is usually done well before boarding, as the agents look at what people are trying to justify bringing on board as supposed carry-ons.

Never? How can you say that? Yes, they do try to get people to gate check bags before they board. But I can say many, maybe most, of our flights have last minute gate checking of at least a couple bags, because the overheads get full. 

United is installing slightly different overhead storage bins on their single aisle planes (think they have started with the new 737 Max models) that have 15-20% more space in them. They even have a training video they show at the gate how to properly store your bags in them to achieve more efficient use of the space, and it works surprisingly well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

And NO, small bags in the overhead NEVER make people gate check their bags once on board--that is usually done well before boarding, as the agents look at what people are trying to justify bringing on board as supposed carry-ons.

Sorry, your silly logic wins no arguments with me. ...

That's simply wrong. There are plenty of occasions when gate-checking decisions are made after the carry-on bags have made it on board, when it's discovered that there are more bags than will fit into the overhead bins, so some bags then have to be taken off again and checked into the hold. Sometimes, there's no space in the bins because smaller bags have taken up the space. So yes, if you always put your small bags into the bin, you could cause someone else's bag to have to be gate-checked. But hopefully, if the small bags are your only cabin bags, then you'll be on flights where there isn't that much pressure on space.

I don't fly UA very much, but on the airline I fly most (BA), if the bins have got full then passengers with small bags will be made to put them under the seat in front of them to maximise the amount of bin space for other bags (because small bags are often a very inefficient use of that space).

And you might want to remember that CCers like FlyerTalker are not simply posting arguments based on logic (silly or otherwise). It's from real-life experience. Those of us who fly a lot have seen (almost) everything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

Not true.  The FAs look at the overhead bins and no matter what's up there, if they are full they contact the gate agents and tell them to start checking bags.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 1:44 PM, LibertyBella said:

And NO, small bags in the overhead NEVER make people gate check their bags once on board--that is usually done well before boarding, as the agents look at what people are trying to justify bringing on board as supposed carry-ons....

False. At least twice in my 50+ years of flying I have been forced to check bags after I have boarded the plane and arrived at my seat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1