NCL Air Warning

dburlace

Hello, we booked our cruise directly with NCL after cruising with them last year to Alaska/Canada. For July to England, Ireland, Scotland, Denmark. I called my NCL Rep I had used for the last one and booked directly through him including airfare as it worked well last year. They had all our names and birthdays on file The cruise was 105 days out July 27th so we were required to pay in full over the phone.  I received my confirmation at 8:44pm along with the amenity confirmation email and the receipt and filed them in my digital cruise file labeled "cruise 23'. Knowing there was nothing to do until closer to the cruise regarding check in or even receiving air schedule confirmation I was not looking for further emails. Today I was looking to possibly booking a christmas cruise and did a search in my emails and found an email asking me to confirm names for airfare (almost 1 month later). I called immediately and was told under 90 days prior to cruise I had to pay $150 per person name change fee! I spent a long time speaking to 3 different reps but they refuse to wave or even give me a credit for making up paying for the fee. I feel it is completely unfair as I just cruised last year internationally with exact same people (Alaska/Canada) and they had my families passports and full names on file and the rep should have asked for full names when booking international or told me to look for an email if it was needed. They refuse to wave- WARNING

10 hours ago, dburlace said:

Knowing there was nothing to do until closer to the cruise regarding check in or even receiving air schedule confirmation I was not looking for further emails. Today I was looking to possibly booking a christmas cruise and did a search in my emails and found an email asking me to confirm names for airfare (almost 1 month later).

And there you have it folks.

And of course, it's the fault of NCL.  How dare they send an email.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  First, it's nice to make posts have paragraphs and some white space to make them easier to read.

Second, you probably should have booked with a good, human TA as they'll tell you that NCL's "free" or reduced price air program is garbage.

Checking emails is important.  Maybe you've never flown before and don't understand that flights can change or get cancelled, itineraries can change and so on.  Don't expect hand holding from a huge company.  Not happening.  

Again, you probably need a good, human TA to help you.  Travel agents work for YOU. The Great NCL rep at the cruise line works for...wait for it...THE CRUISE LINE.  They don't care about the minutiae of your trip.  They care about the paycheck every other Friday.

YOU should have had all the full names, birthdates and so on correct when you booked. If it was the same people as last year, surely you have a digital cruise  file on your computer with this info?  

Edited by megr1125
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I always say if you want to be your own travel agent, then you better take that responsibility to ACT as a TA.  That means checking everything all the time!!

If you asked me for a $150.00 pp charge I would have to tell them to fire you, or tell the agency to swallow the cost due to the agent's (you)  incompetence.

Doing low-budget flights can always be a risk, so one has to pay extra attention to arrangements and check and double-check!

P.S. The word is WAIVE, not wave