Shadow Casting, live from Ft Lauderdale to Dublin, May 28 - June 12, 2023

spinnaker2

THE SUN IS OUT! A few hardy souls at the pool deck, but I suspect more will be there as the day warms a bit. Hot tubs are full, people bubbling away in the froth.

We lost another hour last night, this schedule back to Europe is tough for the crew especially. 

And the Shadow moves gracefully through the jeweled sea. 

• Like 4

And it's June 9. Very windy and choppy white capped seas. Low hanging grey clouds. Seaspray on the  sliding glass door. Shadow is creaking a bit. Like many pax and crew. Gave up another hour of sleep last night.

I keep wondering where the pub lunch or diner lunch or seafood deck lunch is.

Not on this cruise. This cruise is about lectures, boutique sales, an art class( not really any teaching),a mind reader, a magician and some other entertainment. Cruise is missing some joie de vivre, conviviality.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I keep wondering where the pub lunch or diner lunch or seafood deck lunch is.

Not on this cruise. This cruise is about lectures, boutique sales, an art class( not really any teaching),a mind reader, a magician and some other entertainment. Cruise is missing some joie de vivre, conviviality.

Perhaps your CD needs a speaking to.

Who is it?

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Perhaps your CD needs a speaking to.

Who is it?

Bob from Iowa. 

I don't know how many Venetians aboard but my guess is there are a lot of new people who don't know what to expect. The weather certainly hasn’t helped.

We are happy to stay in our suite and enjoy, breakfast every day set up before we awake. We do go to lunch, the MDR is a oasis of peace and food is lovely. LaT is a zoo of people. Because my husband likes sushi, we have gone to LaT, but hand washing not enforced and people using same serving utensils. That’s gross. 

We have had dinner from MDR in our suite as well. Enjoyable.

Last night we went to laT it was informal night. Many people in casual clothes, wrinkly and one guy brought his Kleenex box to the table. Tables are really close to one another. 

We are reading books and enjoying each other’s company. We have no desire to drink until we drop or drink every drop or until we exhaust the crew. The crew is already sleep deprived from this route. 

• Like 2

Yes we are enjoying the suite. The shower has some issues, it leaks all over the floor and apparently cannot be fixed as it is a design flaw. A bit dangerous as water pools and puddles on marble floor. Aside from that all is great.

The suite is spacious and since the ship is so crowded, we spend most of our day here. Our butler Neo and suite attendant Jonathan are exceptional. 

We are trying to stay away from the crowded venues as much as possible.

There are about 200 Venetians onboard, the ship is full so that means its pretty equal in first time cruisers.

Once again at 4 am the fog horn started to blast. At the same time i thought i heard a splash but since we didn’t stop or hear any calls, i guess it was a fish. At the moment no fog horn. On the horizon I can see a fishing trawler. Saw a sea bird earlier, all messages that we are getting closer to land.

Captain keeps saying how lucky we are to have had this weather as opposed to the other weather.HAHAAAAA. 

Lunch in MDR remains a quiet refuge. Tonight is formal night and the crew parade.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Yes we are enjoying the suite. The shower has some issues, it leaks all over the floor and apparently cannot be fixed as it is a design flaw.  The suite is spacious and since the ship is so crowded, we spend most of our day here. Our butler Neo and suite attendant Jonathan are exceptional. We are trying to stay away from the crowded venues as much as possible.   There are about 200 Venetians onboard, the ship is full so that means its pretty equal in first time cruisers.

Appreciate, Spins, you posting and sharing ALL of these many details, comments and follow-ups.  As mentioned previously, we have not done a long trans-Atlantic (or trans-Pacific) sailing.  We are still itinerary-focused with our sailing preferences.  Sorry about the water shower challenge, weather issues, plus things being so busy and crowded, etc.  Good that the Internet is working well.  

Keep sharing and especially love it when you post visuals.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

On 6/9/2023 at 7:49 AM, spinnaker2 said:

one guy brought his Kleenex box to the table.

I find it so inconsiderate when the folks with obvious respiratory viruses insist on frequenting all venues, but this really exceeds anything I've seen on a ship. Acccck!

• Like 3

Lovely flowers to cheer away the drear. Y.

Its the day to pack, but instead we are napping. We had a mandatory 8 am face to face with the Irish immigration lads. After last nights fog horn solo for hours and hours, I am exhausted due to lack of sleep. 

The early sail in was lovely with green fields, colorful row hoses and large estates. I took nary a photo as I could not move from the warm cocoon of the coverlet. We finally arrived at our dock and its opposite lots of freight containers. The primo dock spot seems occupied by Regent. We are 45 minutes bus out of town, Cork it is. 

We had our face to face and passport stamped. Crawled back into the bed, covers over head and drapes drawn tightly. Packing be damned. Need to stack up some zzzzs.

And now as I look out across the bay, a thick white blanket of another sort is rolling in.   The dratted  FOG has found us. We thought we could escape, but nope.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

From our perch at lunch watched the tours return. Just an observation the majority , like 90 per cent of the pax, did not tip the bus driver or tour guide.

Interesting observation!!  Is that about the tour and experience being marginal, average, not that good?  Or, people getting tired of escalating demands for tips everywhere?  Or, a feeling with Silversea that the tips are already covered?

Sorry to hear about the fog horn, weather, etc., challenges.  Hang in!!

5 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Interesting observation!!  Is that about the tour and experience being marginal, average, not that good?  Or, people getting tired of escalating demands for tips everywhere?  Or, a feeling with Silversea that the tips are already covered?

Terry, i did not ask the pax as they exited the tour bus. Most just walked away without a second glance. Many were carrying shopping bags. They did not look unhappy or angry, but who knows!!!

There have been so many discussions about tipping I dare not venture in that pool of discord. I only offered that which i saw, and have never actually observed before.

the fog rolled in again and out again. Its flat light. Soon we will be leaving our last port of the cruise before we debark.

The crew has excelled.

The next group is a charter from Mexico by Volkswagen. All times will be adjusted to allow for late night dining, etc. the ship will not be full. I wish them Buen Viaje. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Sorry but there are a lot of countries where tipping is not the accepted practice.

Here in Australia wages are higher in the hospitality sector and even though we do tip here occasionally it is only for exceptional service.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Terry, i did not ask the pax as they exited the tour bus. Most just walked away without a second glance. Many were carrying shopping bags. They did not look unhappy or angry, but who knows!!!   There have been so many discussions about tipping I dare not venture in that pool of discord. I only offered that which i saw, and have never actually observed before.   the fog rolled in again and out again. It's flat light. Soon we will be leaving our last port of the cruise before we debark.   The crew has excelled.   The next group is a charter from Mexico by Volkswagen. All times will be adjusted to allow for late night dining, etc. the ship will not be full. I wish them Buen Viaje. 

Sorry to hear your sailing is nearing its competition.  Safe travels home.  Good point/background by Dr. Ron about how tipping varies by parts of the world.  Great to hear that the crew has been so excellent.  Once back and settled, look forward to any added background and insights.  

Safe flights we had and a long journey home.

We will remember this trip as being fog bound, bombarded by the sounds of the fog horn, every two minutes for hours and hours on end. I used to find it romantic and mystical, but no more.

Reflecting on this cruise I can say that it was not at all typical. There were really none of the events that we have come to associate with a crossing, we have no idea why. I do hope that is not an indicator of the future leanings of Silversea.

I also will remember the captain telling us we should be grateful for the weather we were having( the fog), and that it could have been much worse. I am not sure that engendered a lot of warm fuzzy feelings amongst the pax.

We made the most of our suite, spending a lot of time there, enjoying what it had to offer.

And of course we made another booking for the near future.

• Like 3