Shadow Casting, live from Ft Lauderdale to Dublin, May 28 - June 12, 2023

spinnaker2

48 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Awake at 4:30 am and out the door at 5 something to catch the sail-in from the Obs. Did not disappoint. Very chilly outside as we made our way into the harbor.  

Today is GLORIOUS!

Manhattan! I ❤️ NYC.

Our glass doors are open to the fresh air. We look at the amazing city.

We also look out over some of the weapons/tools of war or what some may refer to as peacekeepers. A battleship which is now a museum.   The Intrepid’s deck holds many vintage planes, jets, and a submarine is along side. The Concorde Alpha Delta G-BOAD is also on the pier. What a plane!

Last night was formal night but we did not leave the suite. Too rough. Instead we ordered from the main dining room and enjoyed the rolling seas without any missteps or mishaps.  

20230531_0645462Copy.thumb.jpeg.becc2e3cdae99979b5204b8dcb92ae3e.jpeg

Gorgeous photo of that sunrise!!!

My father and uncle served aboard the Intrepid during WWII. 

• Like 3

Lots of activity here at the port. With the addition of 150 more pax its a bit more raucous, or is it that inhibitions are being shed? 

Sleeping with the door open to hear the city sounds. Gulls squawking, horns blaring, traffic noise amplified by the canyons of the tall buildings. Ferry boats making wake, waves lapping the active coast guard cutter docked next to us.  Choppers, many of them, in the sky hovering above us and up and down the river. 

My grand uncle Johan Alfred Larson, who came from Sweden, was a captain aboard a boat that traveled up and down the Hudson River in the 1900’s. He lived on the ship with his wife and daughter. The ship was berthed between 52nd and 55th street. Right here. I never knew him of course, but I am looking out at the River he sailed. When he was injured on the job and crushed his foot he could no longer work on the water and went to work in Roebling, New Jersey as a watchman. John Roebling was a civil engineer who built wire rope suspension bridges, to include the Brooklyn Bridge. 

As we had dinner last night, we had a visit from this helicopter who wanted to see the ship. 

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Gorgeous photo of that sunrise!!!

My father and uncle served aboard the Intrepid during WWII. 

Looking at the Intrepid now for a day and a half. So close to it and also the nuclear sub, the former USS Growler. The Intrepid is huge, hard to fathom living and fighting aboard. The runway on the other hand is not LARGE, the painted sign on one of the bulkheads of the ship says Beware of Jet Blast. 

Seeing so many visitors to museum. 

Reminds us to thank for those who perished so we could be free. Thanks again to all who serve and served.

20230601_104358_HDR_Original.thumb.jpeg.9960c72cc58e8c8ce9b99c6fbe2d4437.jpeg20230601_104322Copy.thumb.jpeg.35b89fa09d7d2472c8c89ea8e337ddbf.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

The Intrepid is huge, hard to fathom living and fighting aboard. The runway on the other hand is not LARGE, the painted sign on one of the bulkheads of the ship says Beware of Jet Blast. 

Seeing so many visitors to museum. 

Reminds us to thank for those who perished so we could be free. Thanks again to all who serve and served.

Yes, indeed - short runways on a rolling ship in the middle of the ocean!!!   

Here's what that runway looked like to a member of my dad's squadron (could even be him)...it looks a lot bigger from a distance. 

SB2C landing.jpg

• Like 4

‘Twas a lovely sail out as to the view.

The Grill seemed unprepared for the number of pax. We arrived at 11:30 and my lunch showed up about 12:45. DH showed up shortly after mine, minus part of the order. Tables so close together now, tough to maneuver. Some crew indifferent or have attitude issues. We abandoned the Grill, came to our suite and ordered some room service. We sat outside and enjoyed the view, slightly soured by the Grill lunch travesty.

Dinner will be another topic. I cant re-experience it by writing about it at the moment. 

We went thru the Cape Cod Canal during the early morning hours. Only ships that can fit under the Bourne Railroad bridge can use the Canal, which only has a depth of 32 feet. The Canal was completed in 1940. The Canal is about 17 miles long. There is no charge for vessels to use the Canal. We have been through it before, in the daylight hours. But FOMO took over and I was up and down looking for the Railroad bridge, listening to the bell buoys, watching for the channel markers, and inhaling the fresh sea air.  Then I fell asleep.

Coming into Boston Harbor is a treat, it’s very busy and the planes taking off from Logan look like they are coming right at you! We look out over a large active shipping crate dock. The planes landing at Logan fly right over it, we get a close up look at the planes and the landing gear.

The US inspectors are aboard at the moment. They did not come aboard in Ft. Lauderdale or NYC. The inspection is always tense for the crew.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Spins,

Apart from the dining issues to which you briefly allude, I hope you are having a marvellous time. 
I am a bit surprised that your video is so clear, the news reports are full of the tremendously widespread effects of the Nova Scotia wildfire smoke - may your skies remain clear. 
You appear to be in a wonderfully huge suite, a wonderful way to cross the pond, hope your butler is up to snuff and is looking after you and Dr Spins as you should be looked after. 
Happy sails. 
B  x

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 2

Bah Habah.

Bone chilling damp. 

Jolly yes we are precluded from going to one port in NS due to smoke. One more sea day in lieu of Shelburne.

We are enjoying the suite and our over the top butler, Neo. He mentioned this morning he would like to see it snowing. OMG its 44, so ten degrees less and we could see snow. We do expect rain.

Last night we enjoyed a special mean en suite, vegetable and shrimp tempura with red chili sauce. Lovely.

Today we are off to the lobsta lunch, but first we must survive the tenda. 

We are bundled up in several layers and warm socks. I knew I should have packed mittens.

There is no one at the pool. 

The internet is good! Some strange things with the newspaper though. It seems to be ground hog day, as DrSpins keeps getting the same paper from the day before. I know he’s a dinosaur because he likes actual paper to read. Its just a small 4 page paper, but in the last several days its been exactly the same paper with a different date. Twilight Zone or Ground Hog day. Hello Chevy Chase.

• Like 6

The coast of Maine is craggy and some of it pink. After the very rough tender ride into Bar Harbor,  we enjoyed a tour of Acadia National Park and a lobster lunch. Temperatures in the 40’s F.

Then back to the ship, another tippy tender ride.

Captain announced the weather would deteriorate, and it did. Gale force winds and seas to match. The Shadow handles it with ease. 

20230603_124333_HDRCopy.thumb.jpeg.9b8696d81811dd8e1cfeeb8f4844b2f6.jpeg20230603_124259Copy.thumb.jpeg.193dfb5218d114c2007199ab16a76735.jpeg

• Like 8

Hahaha yes you are right Bill Murray.  Thanks.

I understand he repeated the loop 33 years and 350 days.

The paper delivered today was dated today but the same as yesterday. Its repeating. And repeating….

OMG.

will we be aboard for 33 years and 350 days? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

June 5.

42 F and fog horn every 2 minutes en route to St Johns. Fog conditions since last night. There is nothing like the sound of fog by itself. It shrouds the ship and covers the sea like a blanket, we move forward quietly, our sounds muffled. The foghorn warns others of our approach. Thirteen knots speed.20230605_0729012.thumb.jpg.c8f743eee7470fe6ce921789f05829e2.jpg

• Like 3

We have had a good number of meals in our suite. Breakfast everyday which the butler brings in and sets up on the dining room table while we sleep in the next room. Truly lovely. We have an illy espresso maker in the bar area if we need more coffee. Breakfast is very good.

We have had several dinners en suite as well. The food in general, is definitely not as good as it once was. We were considering a world cruise, but we cannot imagine being on a small ship with only a few restaurants and food that really isn't up to snuff. I would eat chicken every day if it was prepared well. My husband would likewise eat salmon every day if it was prepared well. 

The grill was just awful the other evening. I asked that my food be prepared by the chef, the waitstaff person said she had to ask her boss if they could do that. When my request was honored, the food came out ice cold with grill marks on it  and accompanied by a rock hard potato. When approached by the maitre d, to inquire why I wasn’t eating it, he actually touched my potato with his bare hands and said, yes that is really hard. What!!!! Of course there was the offer to redo it. NO way.

I know food is subjective, but this isn't 5 star dining. Duck Ragu, the signature disk in La T, used to be amazing, not the same. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

10 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

We have had a good number of meals in our suite. Breakfast everyday which the butler brings in and sets up on the dining room table while we sleep in the next room. Truly lovely. We have an illy espresso maker in the bar area if we need more coffee. Breakfast is very good.

We have had several dinners en suite as well. The food in general, is definitely not as good as it once was. We were considering a world cruise, but we cannot imagine being on a small ship with only a few restaurants and food that really isn't up to snuff. I would eat chicken every day if it was prepared well. My husband would likewise eat salmon every day if it was prepared well. 

The grill was just awful the other evening. I asked that my food be prepared by the chef, the waitstaff person said she had to ask her boss if they could do that. When my request was honored, the food came out ice cold with grill marks on it  and accompanied by a rock hard potato. When approached by the maitre d, to inquire why I wasn’t eating it, he actually touched my potato with his bare hands and said, yes that is really hard. What!!!! Of course there was the offer to redo it. NO way.

I know food is subjective, but this isn't 5 star dining. Duck Ragu, the signature disk in La T, used to be amazing, not the same. 

Similar to what Lucille and I endured on the Muse from Sydney at Christmas  things are not the same 

and do not the will come back to the  standard we were used to

• Like 2

I agree with Spinn that a long journey on Shadow with only a few dining  options would be a little challenging. We have enjoyed our meals in the MDR, and the menu does change. Our two dinners at La Terrazza have been excellent. La Dame also had a beautifully cooked duck, but I see no reason to pay extra again when La Terrazza is so good.

I too don't fancy cooking my own food while on holiday, buy obviously the hot rocks dining appeals to many fellow cruisers (before the cold  snap). Caviar and Pommery have appeared upon request, so the essentials were restocked in  Florida.

I hope the fog lifts to allow views of the Newfoundland coast as we arrive.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 7:40 AM, spinnaker2 said:

June 5.  42 F and fog horn every 2 minutes en route to St Johns. Fog conditions since last night. There is nothing like the sound of fog by itself. It shrouds the ship and covers the sea like a blanket, we move forward quietly, our sounds muffled.

Just catching up, Spins, with your sailing and posts.  Wow!!  42F and fog horns are not exactly perfect Florida and/or summer weather. Hope the weather improves.  AND, sorry on the food challenges.  Hopefully they get things fixed/improved.  How does the Hotel Director explain this situation? 

Have fun in the Canada Maritimes.  As detailed below, we were there for the first time last summer and enjoyed it much.  Great seafood, people and sights there.  Looking forward to more pictures, videos, etc.  Glad that the Internet is working well. Liked the earlier NYC aircraft carrier details.  Many years ago visited that ship in the Big Apple.  Fun to walk around it and sense its size and power.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Late Summer 2022, many scenic visuals and details from Canada Maritimes doing Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island, etc., via a Tauck land tour.  Visual Summary:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

Question of the day. Who was clement? 

The weather is still inclement.

Chilly, bright and fog. 

I am learning harmonies for the fog horn. Will solicit other members for the fog horn 

band later.

Is there a crew member pressing the button for the fog horn?

It's a sea day here in the Shadow. 

The chronicles has a lot of activities. None of which is lounging by the pool.

Show tonight is a magic jester. A comedian illusionist.

Please magic jester make the fog go away.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Question of the day. Who was clement? 

The weather is still inclement.

Chilly, bright and fog. 

I am learning harmonies for the fog horn. Will solicit other members for the fog horn 

band later.

Is there a crew member pressing the button for the fog horn?

It's a sea day here in the Shadow. 

The chronicles has a lot of activities. None of which is lounging by the pool.

Show tonight is a magic jester. A comedian illusionist.

Please magic jester make the fog go away.

Any particular part of the body that you're using to harmonise?

• Haha 1