HAL Eurodam Alaska evening wear question

Super-excited for our upcoming 7-night Alaska cruise!

I'm getting conflicting reports regarding appropriate evening wear. My understanding is there are two 'formal nights' as well as an "orange party".  My husband assumes the formal nights require a tux for gentlemen but I have also heard 'smart' attire is more appropriate. Having traveled on TAs with other lines previously, it's always tux/gowns for formal nights but we are wondering whether things are different for HAL Alaska cruises. And what on earth is the orange party? Would greatly appreciate any insights! 

Thanks 🙂

Edited by MadamedelaMer

The formal nights are much more casual these days. Men can get by with a suit coat and khakis and often with just a polo shirt and dress pants. 

I am going to bring my tuxedo for our next cruise but simply because I feel like dressing up for Gala nights. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

The formal nights are much more casual these days. Men can get by with a suit coat and khakis and often with just a polo shirt and dress pants. 

I am going to bring my tuxedo for our next cruise but simply because I feel like dressing up for Gala nights. 

Actually they don't need a suit coat at all.  A shirt with a collar and pants is all that is needed.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

A tux has NEVER been required. Suit and tie maybe, sports coat fits in that category.

Thank you for correcting me.  In any event,  I think the OP's husband may feel out of place in a tux on today's HAL.

• Like 3

Just now, Roz said:

Thank you for correcting me.  In any event,  I think the OP's husband may feel out of place in a tux on today's HAL.

Possibly. On our last 3 cruises in 2022, (KDam and N. Statendam), I would say there were maybe 25 tuxes, total, across the 3 cruises. I no longer bring mine.

• Like 2

My husband will have on a shirt with a collar and a decent pair of slacks. I will wear a nicer than usual top with black slacks. That is all we do anymore, no matter where the cruise is going. I am personally very happy not to have to pack or wear “formal wear” any longer.

• Like 6

HAL hasn't had formal nights in years; those nights were downgraded to 'Gala' many moons ago. A few years ago, those 'Gala' nights were further downgraded to 'dressy'. 
Beats me what 'dressy is supposed to mean as a dress code, but you will see the range from true formal (not too much, though) to 'what were they thinking?'. 

Wear what you like, and what makes you feel good, and to heck with what anyone else thinks. If your pretty clothes like to go out and play, bring them! 

• Like 3

Good information, everyone.

When I was on Zuidy (last year)... the MDR would have a wide wide array for breakfast.  Short pants, included.  Lunch, was a "bit" of a step up.  And, dinner... if you had long pants & a collared shirt --- even a polo, you fitted in just fine.

Not to go off-topic, but ties make me cringe.  :)

I am on the Koningsdam right now in Alaska.  Tonight is our second dressy night.  From our first night I would say that wearing a tux is over dressed.  A dark suit may be better, but very few men are wearing jackets.  I’m not.  I saw a lot of women in their prefect black dress with shawls and they looked great imo.

• Like 2

As others have said, "dressy night" on HAL allows the gamut from tuxes and evening gowns (and yes, there will definitely be some guests who enjoy getting dolled up) to the more common suits and dresses, all the way down to collared shirts with slacks.  It's actually nice now to have the option to get as dressed as one wants to get.

For the orange party, all they ask is to add some orange to your ensemble.  Again, you will see some people who go all out with really ridiculous (but fun!) orange from head-to-toe.  Many people wear orange clothes more than they normally would, while some just add an orange accent or two.  The ship will probably provide cheap trinkets like orange sunglasses, hats, or feather boas.  On my two cruises since the orange party has been a thing, on one ship it was the most minimal experience you can imagine while on the other it was a ton of fun and all the ship's staff really got into it.

10 hours ago, cbr663 said:

I am on the Koningsdam right now in Alaska.  Tonight is our second dressy night.  From our first night I would say that wearing a tux is over dressed.  A dark suit may be better, but very few men are wearing jackets.  I’m not.  I saw a lot of women in their prefect black dress with shawls and they looked great imo.

What is the price for the unlimited laundry? I'm trying to see if it is cheaper to buy now online or wait until I board to use OBC.  Thanks.

I have not seen the unlimited ever being less pre boarding than just ordering it when you get onboard and turn in your first  bag of laundry.  The prices recently changed but it was either $7 or $9/per cabin per day.  You must buy the entire cruise worth of days.  Last chance to turn in laundry is about 48 hours before the end of the cruise.  @Crew News is in Alaska now.  Maybe he can fill us in on the current price?

Thanks,

~Nancy

28 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I have not seen the unlimited ever being less pre boarding than just ordering it when you get onboard and turn in your first  bag of laundry.  The prices recently changed but it was either $7 or $9/per cabin per day.  You must buy the entire cruise worth of days.  Last chance to turn in laundry is about 48 hours before the end of the cruise.  @Crew News is in Alaska now.  Maybe he can fill us in on the current price?

Thanks,

~Nancy

As requested, the new laundry prices for North America are:

Unlimited - $8.50/day/stateroom

Unlimited Pressing - $4/day/stateroom

Laundry by the bag - $25

• Thanks 2

On 5/17/2023 at 3:25 PM, azalice said:

My husband will have on a shirt with a collar and a decent pair of slacks. I will wear a nicer than usual top with black slacks. That is all we do anymore, no matter where the cruise is going. I am personally very happy not to have to pack or wear “formal wear” any longer.

Agree. With baggage restrictions on airlines these days, I like not having to bring formal wear anymore.

On 5/18/2023 at 7:30 AM, PACD_JG said:

What is the price for the unlimited laundry? I'm trying to see if it is cheaper to buy now online or wait until I board to use OBC.  Thanks.

Feb NA unlimited was $49/7 days, $20/bag. This month Eurodam was $59.50/7 days, $25/bag. It is same price paid in advance or onboard 

• Thanks 1