Curious About Tips

30 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Ok, good for you. But, I'm just asking a question because I'm curious. No other reason.

BTW, it has no bearing on the tip I leave.  I still typically tip 20%

And as I said the tips are pooled and there is no exact breakdown.

It is puzzling why people get so bothered when some want to know where their voluntary gratuity is going.  

We get it.....some want the guy cleaning the crew deck bathrooms to be a customer tipped person.  Maybe they will let you all behind the scenes so you can throw a $50 at him also.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, ray98 said:

It is puzzling why people get so bothered when some want to know where their voluntary gratuity is going.  

We get it.....some want the guy cleaning the crew deck bathrooms to be a customer tipped person.  Maybe they will let you all behind the scenes so you can throw a $50 at him also.🤣

While the guy cleaning the crew deck bathrooms isn't likely a customer tipped person, the guy/gal who is cleaning the public bathrooms likely is.

15 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Yet we tip these people extra because we have direct contact with them.  What about all the forgotten people doing all the worst imaginable jobs?

I can't help everyone, but I help those I can.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2023 at 5:58 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

It doesn't matter. Like the thread title says, I'm curious. That's how we learn things, we ask questions. 

There have been many of us who have wondered that, so you are certainly not alone. I don't see why some seem to have a problem with someone wanting to know how it is broken down.  It used to be posted by Carnival.  Not sure why they stopped that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

There have been many of us who have wondered that, so you are certainly not alone. I don't see why some seem to have a problem with someone wanting to know how it is broken down.  It used to be posted by Carnival.  Not sure why they stopped that.

Because people don't understand how tip division works.  They assume that the portion posted regarding dining services when only to their personal dinner dining team and not to the breakfast/brunch/lunch/Lido servers.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2023 at 6:34 PM, jedi bobs said:

What is the alterative services?

Lido wait staff, guest laundry services, room service, Kids Clubs, Ropes Course, pool monitors, coaster staff, water slide, towel hut crew, Skyride crew to name a few 

• Like 1

Well I like pre paying tips, service charge, or crew appreciation they all call it something different. I was always concerned I missed somebody and also didn't like taking extra cash for the envelopes.

If cabin steward, waiters, bar staff make my vacation special they get additional last evening of the trip as well as cards or whatever the line uses.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Because people don't understand how tip division works.  They assume that the portion posted regarding dining services when only to their personal dinner dining team and not to the breakfast/brunch/lunch/Lido servers.  

That’s exactly my point. Carnival used to do a better job of explaining that. From our very first cruise years ago we understood that. We always pre-pay and then tip extra, but would still like to know who gets what. If Carnival would do a better job explaining that and not relying on information or misinformation on sites like this, then less people would probably be removing tips.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

If Carnival would do a better job explaining that and not relying on information or misinformation on sites like this, then less people would probably be removing tips.

I’m very skeptical about this. Cheap is cheap. They'll find any reason to remove tips.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

That’s exactly my point. Carnival used to do a better job of explaining that. From our very first cruise years ago we understood that. We always pre-pay and then tip extra, but would still like to know who gets what. If Carnival would do a better job explaining that and not relying on information or misinformation on sites like this, then less people would probably be removing tips.

I forgot to look while we were onboard Glory but a breakdown is provided on the invoice in the Hub App, which someone posted about upthread. What people may not realize is that while a percentage may go to "steward" that doesn't mean that your assigned steward is necessarily receiving that percentage of your tip (and I have seen it stated in tipping threads "well, my steward receives $x from me and he does x number of cabins which totals $y per month and I think that is too much, so I reduce the tip accordingly". I have also seen people say that they object to people they don't see getting a portion of the tips, and use that as the reason to decrease them.). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I forgot to look while we were onboard Glory but a breakdown is provided on the invoice in the Hub App, which someone posted about upthread. What people may not realize is that while a percentage may go to "steward" that doesn't mean that your assigned steward is necessarily receiving that percentage of your tip (and I have seen it stated in tipping threads "well, my steward receives $x from me and he does x number of cabins which totals $y per month and I think that is too much, so I reduce the tip accordingly". I have also seen people say that they object to people they don't see getting a portion of the tips, and use that as the reason to decrease them.). 

It’s a shame that people would do that. It would probably just be better if Carnival rolled it in the price of the cruise. I’m guessing many of us on here already figure that as part of the overall cost, just like travel to port, hotels and excursions expenses. These are a part of the cost. If I can’t afford these things, then I shouldn’t take the cruise. If I can’t afford, or don’t want to tip, I shouldn’t take the cruise.

• Like 1