Purchasing soda at a American port

Laughingbear

Hi,

I'm going on a Princess cruise that will leave from Los Angeles and has two American ports in San Francisco and San Diego.

Princess allows you to bring 12 cans of soda with you in your carry on on embarkation day which is awesome. I plan on getting off the boat at both American ports and was wondering if I can go to a Walmart or another grocery store and purchase some more soda and bring it with me when I get back on the ship to restock for the rest of the cruise? I'm thinking maybe just grabbing 6 cans or a small number like that at one of the two ports. Is that allowed? I can't really seem to find the rules regarding Americans bringing things on the ship from American ports.

Whether or not this is allowed is a Princess policy issue, not a port (US or not) issue. It doesn't matter if you are American, or in an American port. To find out if Princess allows it, ask on the Princess board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/

Some reading on the Princess website may also reveal the Princess policy.

There are no specific rules for Americans and also no specific rules for bringing booze or soda from American ports.  The cruise contract is very clear on this point -

"Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

No mention of Americans or American ports.

DON

9 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

There are no specific rules for Americans and also no specific rules for bringing booze or soda from American ports.  The cruise contract is very clear on this point -

"Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

No mention of Americans or American ports.

DON

I did read that in the cruise contract but I understood it to be related to the port I am embarking from because of the mention of hand luggage and checked luggage, and not the ports I'm visiting.

And, I've been on a few cruises where there are specific rules for American's bringing things back from other ports back to your disembarkation port which is why I brought up the question.

But, I can just wait and ask when I'm onboard. I'm sure I can get a clear answer there.

21 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Whether or not this is allowed is a Princess policy issue, not a port (US or not) issue. It doesn't matter if you are American, or in an American port. To find out if Princess allows it, ask on the Princess board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/

Some reading on the Princess website may also reveal the Princess policy.

Okay, I understand. I just remember a few things I've read in some articles that say American's can bring certain things back from ports to their disembarkation port. Thats why I made those specifications in my question. I do read up on Princess policy and couldn't locate anything.

So, its a not a big deal. I'm sure I can just ask when I get on board and will get a clear answer. Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Laughingbear said:

Okay, I understand. I just remember a few things I've read in some articles that say American's can bring certain things back from ports to their disembarkation port. Thats why I made those specifications in my question. I do read up on Princess policy and couldn't locate anything.

So, its a not a big deal. I'm sure I can just ask when I get on board and will get a clear answer. Thanks!

What Americans can, or can't bring back, are typically alcohol related.

As others have said, post this on the Princess Board.  That being said, we have done a little cruising on Princess (i.e. 36 cruises) and can tell you that you may or may not be able to get soda onboard at intervening ports.  In our experience, the security folks will sometimes ignore things like cans of soda, and other times will seize the items (in theory they will be returned when you disembark the cruise.  

The dilemma is that you will not know, for sure, until you try to bring the items aboard.  We agree with the others, that this has nothing to do with American ports or Americans.  It is simply the cruise line dealing with their own policy.

Hank

25 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

As others have said, post this on the Princess Board.  That being said, we have done a little cruising on Princess (i.e. 36 cruises) and can tell you that you may or may not be able to get soda onboard at intervening ports.  In our experience, the security folks will sometimes ignore things like cans of soda, and other times will seize the items (in theory they will be returned when you disembark the cruise.  

The dilemma is that you will not know, for sure, until you try to bring the items aboard.  We agree with the others, that this has nothing to do with American ports or Americans.  It is simply the cruise line dealing with their own policy.

Hank

Thanks for your help!

I bring water or soda back every time I get off the ship.  The easiest are to bring a couple of 1 liter sparkling waters like San Pelligrino or a couple of 20 oz plastic bottles of soda.  They do look for alcohol, specifically wine, and I have had it confiscated occasionally.  Beer seems to be ok as I will bring a pint bottle of local ctaft beer on board.  I carry a small backpack ashore with spare clothes, camera equipment, etc., and just toss it in there and run it through the scanner. 

10 hours ago, Laughingbear said:

Hi,

I'm going on a Princess cruise that will leave from Los Angeles and has two American ports in San Francisco and San Diego.

Princess allows you to bring 12 cans of soda with you in your carry on on embarkation day which is awesome. I plan on getting off the boat at both American ports and was wondering if I can go to a Walmart or another grocery store and purchase some more soda and bring it with me when I get back on the ship to restock for the rest of the cruise? I'm thinking maybe just grabbing 6 cans or a small number like that at one of the two ports. Is that allowed? I can't really seem to find the rules regarding Americans bringing things on the ship from American ports.

They don't really seem to care if you restock at port calls.  Canned beverages are fine, as are beverages in plastic or glass containers.  You'll see a lot of posts that quote "rules" from the Princess web site.  My observations, though, are from real life ... i.e. reality.  Security will be looking for weapons.  Some ports will have two security screenings (I think San Diego may be one of them,) where you will undergo screening by private security on shore, then by Princess security on the ship (they cannot work on U.S. shores.)  In both cases they are interested in weapons (even examining pocket knives that are classified as tools.)  Bottles or cans that may be in your carry-ons (plastic or glass bottles, or cans) do not seem to be of interest to them.

14 hours ago, Laughingbear said:

Hi,

I don't know if it is technically allowed but on a Baltic cruise in 2018 I was able to bring like 7 or 8 16oz bottles of my favorite Estonian soda back on board no questions asked 

I completely forget I always have extra bottles of water in my backpack when I get back on the ship.  They are the same ones I brought off the ship, but they are bottles.  And I've never been stopped, or even spoken to.  So I guess the bottles (of anything) are only important when embarking?  Hey, new way to sneak booze on the boat!  

The only time I was ever even looked at funny was last B2B where my backpack was full of bracelets and ducks.  No idea what the guy thought he saw, but once I unzipped it, he stopped being interested.  

I've seen people run into town expressly to pick up sodas, coffees and booze during ports.  Never seen those questioned either.  

Hubby likes Coke Zero.  We always carry on a 12-pack of Coke Zero when boarding and purchase Coke Zero at ports to replenish his stash.  We’ve brought it on not only at American ports but in Mexico, Canada, Central America and Europe.  Not once have we been questioned bringing more on board.  Most recently, he carried on a 2-liter bottle from Prince Rupert.

(Just returned from a 10-day Alaskan cruise on the Ruby.  Purchased several bottles of vodka and gin from Skagway Spirits for gifts.  We told the security team we had alcohol.  “Okay, ma’am.”  Told the folks at the X-ray machines. “Okay, ma’am.”  Just took the bottles to our room.)