Overcharged and no refund

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Don't communicate with SOMEONE. Communicate with a person that can help you. You came here asking for advice yet you seem to want to handle it in your own way. GJustice has given you good advice. Take it.

When I say someone  it was an RCI representative. 

6 minutes ago, A9280 said:

personal information. 

Which can be easily deleted before posting.  And now in post # 24 we learn there actually were no cabins assigned.  Like I said, speculation is pointless.  Good luck.

Edited by jwlane

12 minutes ago, A9280 said:

We didn't have the room numbers initially because they we had chosen, it turns out, assign or connect because it was cheaper.

So, we didn't know until recently what the room numbers would be.  That's our mistake. 

The issue now is that they downgraded the rooms to an interior connected room.  They charged a change fee of $186/room ($372).

They refused to give us the difference of the room costs.  The balcony costs more than an interior room and they charged us the change fee.

So, we accept our mistake with the initial booking, but we should be refunded the difference between the room costs.

So you never had connecting rooms, or appears you had “guarantee rooms”, to my knowledge there is no way to get “guarantee connecting or adjoining” 

I am sorry for your tribulations, but it appears this booking was not handled properly from the beginning. 

I LOVE my travel agent

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, A9280 said:

We didn't have the room numbers initially because they we had chosen, it turns out, assign or connect because it was cheaper.

So, we didn't know until recently what the room numbers would be.  That's our mistake. 

The issue now is that they downgraded the rooms to an interior connected room.  They charged a change fee of $186/room ($372).

They refused to give us the difference of the room costs.  The balcony costs more than an interior room and they charged us the change fee.

So, we accept our mistake with the initial booking, but we should be refunded the difference between the room costs.

I've also contacted mbayley office as several have told you to do. ... but you seem set on not getting this resolved. His office will answer fast. Arguing with us now instead of just doing what was suggested seems like you dont want to escalate this to the vp office. Just do it. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, firefly333 said:

I've also contacted mbayley office as several have told you to do. ... but you seem set on not getting this resolved. His office will answer fast. Arguing with us now instead of just doing what was suggested seems like you dont want to escalate this to the vp office. Just do it. 

But she talked to “someone” on FB messenger. 

Surely that’s as good as talking directly 

with the office of the President of the company!  <sarcasm>

33 minutes ago, A9280 said:

We then realized that we were overpaying for the interior rooms. The rep said prices had increased. We told them that no interior room is equal in cost to a balcony room. 

We went to the RCI website (took a screenshot) and found that the rates had not changed and that the interior rooms are indeed less than the balcony rooms.  As a result, we have overpaid approximately $2600.00.  This is our issue.

In todays $ the interiors are less than the balconies but you cant compare that.  You booked a long time ago so balcony prices are less.  You are being charged todays rates for the interiors which is actually more than what you paid.  They can't go back in time and give you the interiors at what they were when you originally booked the balconies.

There are certainly issues with cabins being changed that need to be addressed however what you have described on the pricing is correct.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, A9280 said:

So you booked guaranteed rate initially to save money and when you then wanted to change it to specify connecting cabins they charged you the current rate?   If that is the case, your complaints have zero merit imo.  You gambled with t he guaranteed rate and didn’t like the result.  How is that their fault.   Not sure what Royal will do, but honestly this is on you, not them.  

Now if you didn’t book a guaranteed rate, maybe you do have a legitimate gripe.  It’s still hard to tell because I think your device auto corrected your sentence.  

• Like 1

If you book guarantee cabins, there is nothing to assume they will be connecting. You can 'request' connecting cabins but they don't have to honour that request.

The price of interiors is now more expensive that the original cabin category you booked with it being so close to sailing.

I don't think you have a case here I'm afraid.

• Like 2

What ship?

What cabin numbers were you originally assigned?

What cabin numbers were assigned when you printed the boarding passes?

If you change to ANY category other that what they assigned (upgrade or downgrade), your booking will be repriced at the current rate.  If the rate is less you will be refunded if before final payment date; after final payment date, no refund.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

We're believing that you initially booked 2x guarantee cabins. These only guarantee the minimum grade you will be assigned, not location. 

From what you wrote, it appears when you were assigned they were almost connecting, except there was one cabin between them. In hindsight, this was likely the best outcome you could have achieved.

Regarding the price, I suspect that is also correct although it is again unclear. It sounds like you had initially booked a cheaper price due to the guarantee, as you're not seeing the distinctions between cabin grades. Similarly now, you are presumably quoting the interior from price - likely a guarantee now, and guarantees are normally cheapest. However, there are multiple grades, including interiors, and the assigned interiors may well have the price you have been quoted, which would be different from the "from interior" price you have looked up. And if so, that is the price if you want to get those 2 connecting interiors.

So basically, you have options:

- play pot luck with guarantees. These are the cheapest - but not always suited for specific requirements, as you have. Their initial assignment was helpful.

- choose specific cabins. You then pay more - which is the situation you are in now.

As it is after final payment, there is not likely much that can be done for your situation now, but this understanding may help you with choices in future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A9280 said:

When I say someone  it was an RCI representative. 

On a social media site. You have been given the name and email address of someone (at the corporate offices) that can probably help you. For some reason you choose not to contact that person but instead come here to complain that things aren't being done to your satisfaction.

We give up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A9280 said:

they won't guaranty adjoing cabins with a guaranty booking. You should have picked cabins that were confirmed. Yes it costs more

3 hours ago, topnole said:

On the original booking which was paid in full in December, are you saying the cabins were side by side and then they got changed and you didn’t know it?   I’m having trouble understanding how this played out.  The term “requested” adjoining rooms is very different than a confirmed booking.  Do you have documentation of the cabin numbers assigned (adjoining) from when you paid in December?

This is my read as well.  In fact, I think what was booked were guarantees, and she requested adjoining cabins.  Hopefully she'll clarify.

You booked guarantee cabins, you were incredibly lucky they were close to each other! Adjoining and connecting aren’t the same thing, but neither work with less expensive guarantee cabins (we are a family of 7 who always books connecting balconies, and we choose our cabins). Since your original booking, prices have increased.

• Like 1

Ahhh well, I say this again and again, if you want to act as your own travel agent, then take responsibility for what you do.  Trying to save money or make last-minute changes can often backfire if you do not understand how processes work. Yes, if you cannot be bothered to check on your reservation for months or even years, then you probably need a travel agent.

How funny that you are embarrassed because you have inside cabins.  Just going on a cruise to Europe is a wonderful and special experience, and quite costly, so others should be happy that at least you are joining them. I doubt the children will care if they have a balcony or not.

In our fifty years of cruising we have been in inside cabins many times and slept quite well!

This is NOT a RC issue, as yes, Carnival and everyone else would probably charge more for those that change their reservations.  Hopefully you have learned a lesson, and will try to relax a bit and look forward to the cruise instead of lamenting that you are entitled to some type of refund.

Bon voyage!

OP, moving from balcony to inside connecting cabins will help you remember some lessons.

Booking guarantee cabins can save some money, but one must be very flexible about location.  That us not only true on Royal Caribbean, but also on other cruiselines.  If you do not want to be separated from family members or travel companions in other cabins, do not book gty.  

Come to cruise critic to ask questions before you book if at all possible.    Preventing problems is better.