The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday May 28th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

We finally reached Anchorage after a long delay. The captain told us that his first officer got taken off our flight because another first office flying out of Bogota was sick and so the airline took ours because apparently pilots have to be specially trained to work from that airport. We had to wait for another first office to fly in before they would allow us to board the plane.

We got to the hotel roughly around 11:30 pm Alaska time. 

As I write this it is early Sunday morning. We will be heading back to the airport to check in with Holland America as they put us on a shuttle to the rail station where are cruise train shuttle will bring us into Whittier and to the ship. It is raining here a little, but then that's Alaska for you. 

Thinking of you all. Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  A number of years ago we were part of the local Amnesty International group - it was certainly an eye opening experience.  I'm not a fan of jazz, although it's a very popular genre of music, and I do love a good hamburger.  I take issue with today's quote - the majority isn't always right, and you should continue to think for yourself.

We had a lovely evening last night with our friends, sitting around the table for hours, enjoying food, wine and great conversation.  The 2 fellows have known DH longer than I have, so they had some great stories about their younger years and the things they did together.  Visits like that leave you with such a good feeling at the end of the night.

It rained hard overnight - DH told me he couldn't believe I'd slept through it, as apparently it was quite noisy.  This morning we've still got grey skies, and I don't know if we'll get more rain, but any and all moisture right now will be good for the farmers and gardeners.  Apparently there was a major storm system that ran through the capital city of Regina a couple of hours south of here which caused flooding in many basements.  There might have even been a small tornado that touched down south of that city, but that has yet to be confirmed.  Yikes!

@smitty34877 I do hope Tana will be able to get outside today - fresh air and sunshine can do so much to life one's spirits.

@kazu sorry to hear you banged your elbow; I hope you didn't cause any damage.  Ivan is so lucky to have you as his Mom - many people wouldn't care what the temperature was, they'd just head out to give their dog a walk, no matter the consequences.

@StLouisCruisers I'm happy to hear you're feeling better today.

@dfish glad you had a more comfortable night - enjoy the ribs today!

@Denise T Bon Voyage!!!!

Not a lot happening in our house today, just a bit of clean up from last night's dinner, and maybe I'll work on another blanket out on the deck.  I really like today's menu suggestion and think I'll try it later in the week when I get some chicken breasts.  I know DH would like the Moroccan style with raisins, etc., so will surprise him with it.  For today though, we've got lots of leftovers from last night so it'll be barbecued pork chops, dilled potatoes and a fresh salad for us on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 4

We have a bunch of these coming up in the front yard.  Does this qualify me for full fledged membership in the Garden Club?

IMG_2343.thumb.jpg.6c44333e1db505b96402479ec2bb0921.jpg

Also, does anyone know what this next one is?   They are coming up in the middle of the front yard.

IMG_2342.thumb.jpg.7914f4fc74de65dca33e8e4af9d73c1c.jpg

Sue is being careful to mow around it and not over it.  

Took a short walk this morning and I feel good!  

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

What a great collection of days.   Jazz is such great music and a hamburger is great - especially in the summer on the BBQ.  But, Amnesty International is such an important organization and done so much for so many that it will be the one I celebrate. 

Love the Mark Twain quote.  Not always true but a good reminder to not follow the lemmings (or sheep) without thinking and reflecting.  And YAY - a white wine - so hope it is not too oaky 🤞 

IMG_3640.jpeg.b5734d0fdb44fa07e5ca7022cace6b68.jpeg

@JazzyV so sorry to hear of your delay 😔 Hope the rest of your flight home goes smoother.

My roll call for the Voyage of the Midnight Sun has disembarked and most are heading home.  Safe travels to them all especially @cruising sister & @SusieKIslandGirl.  Hope I didn’t forget any other Daily-ites 😬 

@DeniseT Bon Voyage !

IMG_3412.jpeg.4a987d81c3663031d8bf52ec09ae56e2.jpeg

What a change in our weather!  On Friday I was wearing a light jacket walking Ivan.  Yesterday, I had my hand and foot on the pavement to test it for his paws before we could finally go for a walk later in the day when it was cooler.  Yes, it went straight to summer yesterday!  It was over 28 Celsius!  

IMG_3638.jpeg.9bdd5924d18b9664265b8277fe07ca3c.jpeg

Turns out there were other wise dog owners with the same idea of walking their dogs when it was safer for them.  Ivan had a full blown other dogs on the walk test.  He let out one bark and alerted me one was coming up on us.  I told him to be a good boy and he was!  He got a few training treats to encourage him & for being so good 🙂.   I was very impressed!

Didn’t get as much done as I wanted yesterday.   Guess I was in a wave (sometimes you can’t stop them) and my heart wasn’t in it - especially after I accidentally banged my elbow.    And, I couldn’t let Ivan stay out in that heat too long.  But, there is some stuff done.    Ivan and I are going to start earlier this morning and see if we can make up for my lack of enthusiasm yesterday.  I’ll get my crown on and get tougher LOL.

IMG_3628.jpeg.3749a643b572c9901eb54132680097b3.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to all those celebrating.

IMG_0592.thumb.jpeg.97ff5bc32b96296e24c872e9145a3ce9.jpeg

Have a great Sunday everyone !!!!

I would not try that thing at a burger drive through. You might get a knuckle sandwich with or without the onions! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all that provided the info.

National Hamburger Day. My favorite meal! A turtle hamburger!

IMG_1041.thumb.png.d84d61a3c145b6d10b92e6ef044b8cd1.png

Before I hear from y’all who think I used real turtles in my burgers, the recipe calls for hamburger meat, hot dogs and bacon to form the turtle. It is snapping good!

• Like 5
  • Haha 16

Good Morning to All!

Great collection of days!  Funny as I am making hamburgers for dinner tonight!!  May have to add some couscous with it as I love it!!

It is already 72 degrees here expecting a high of 98!  So I have to get moving on straightening up my patio as I am leaving very, very early Thursday morning.  Have to hit the Dallas area Friday at 1400 (2pm) and then Mammoth Cave by noon on Sunday the 4th.  Other than that no plans except catching my flight from LaGuardia to Boston at 0600 on Saturday the 10th (yes I am flying in the day of.  🙂 ). The young man who will be watching over Martina (my cat) came last night to get the key to my apartment and refresh his memory on what he needs to do.  He did a great job last year!

@Denise T I know you will have a fantastic time!

Thoughts for those on the care list!!

Have a great Sunday everyone!!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

@dfish  I was going to say the plant was poke weed but I did a search using Google Lens( really cool app I highly recommend in addition to identifying plants it can translate too) and this is what I found.  I am anxious to hear what the garden club has to sayIMG_7457.thumb.jpeg.75d73d75f637627b11431951436b1bb1.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, all! Just over two weeks since the end of the World Cruise, and today is our first day back to normal routine (ish).

My cousin picked us up at Fort Lauderdale, and we spent three days in Orlando (two of them at Disney World) with her.  We got home late Monday night, spent all Tuesday getting the car running, and then picked up company from Australia at the airport Wednesday morning. We went directly to Salt Spring Island and spent several days cleaning up the acreage before coming back to the mainland. 
The next day, we got a call from friends on the other side of Chilliwack. There was an armed standoff two blocks from their house and the neighborhood was in lockdown. The husband was told to stay indoors, away from any exterior walls. The wife was out, and unable to get home. She was sheltering in a convenience store on the safe side of the police barricade but close enough to hear the gunfire. This is NOT your typical Canadian experience, and she was too terrified to walk to her car to drive to our place. DH drove down there, and was able to lead her out to her car and get her on the road. (She refused to leave her car behind.) He followed in our car as she drove to our place, where she stayed overnight. By morning it was over and safe to go home. The house involved was burned completely to the ground.

Our Australian guest never has this happen in his neighborhood in Sydney, and no longer believes anything he hears about Canada. The day he flew home was a big family gathering in North Vancouver, and we got home just before midnight.

Now everyone is gone, we have no appointments, and today is STOP and rest day! I had forgotten what early morning peace was like!
Happy Sunday, everyone, and Happy Memorial,Day weekend to my friends south of the border!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

I am feeling a lot better this morning after a great night's sleep.  Far less bloat and it doesn't hurt to lay down.  Just getting in bed was painful for a few days there.  Give me another week and I'll be back to normal.  

So glad to hear you are improving 👍 I hope you feel better and better with each day 🙏🏻 

37 minutes ago, dfish said:

We have a bunch of these coming up in the front yard.  Does this qualify me for full fledged membership in the Garden Club?

IMG_2343.thumb.jpg.6c44333e1db505b96402479ec2bb0921.jpg

Of course you are member of the gardening club 🙂.  Pretty Irises.

37 minutes ago, dfish said:

Also, does anyone know what this next one is?   They are coming up in the middle of the front yard.

IMG_2342.thumb.jpg.7914f4fc74de65dca33e8e4af9d73c1c.jpg

Sue is being careful to mow around it and not over it.  

Took a short walk this morning and I feel good!  

20 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@dfish  I was going to say the plant was poke weed but I did a search using Google Lens( really cool app I highly recommend in addition to identifying plants it can translate too) and this is what I found.  I am anxious to hear what the garden club has to sayIMG_7457.thumb.jpeg.75d73d75f637627b11431951436b1bb1.jpeg

I will bow to the wisdom of Tina’s app.  It doesn’t look at all like any of my ferns when they come up, though.  I would have guessed something else.  It should be clear in a week or two for sure.

• Like 24

The study program on Friday night went well, ending around 11:00 p.m., except that I can't sleep after doing something like that right before bedtime, so I was a mess yesterday. Today I taught Hebrew at 9:30. I need to mow grass but won't do it until the afternoon; unfortunately, I have to stay clean for a Zoom call at 2:30 to record a lobbying presentation for our member of Congress. My part in it is extremely minor.

The meal suggestion would be fine with me and I would make it today if I had any couscous. I'd also like Roy's alternative, but maybe I'll have a hamburger in honor of the day. Another pseudotini. I might like the wine but will probably never know. I haven't been to Brazil.

I'm scheduled as the main service officiant next Shabbat morning and I conceived the idea of singing a classic piece that is rather beyond my singing ability. It's written in F but I will sing it in A so that at least I can reach all the notes. I need not to be too anxious, because it's equally important to convey the meaning of the Hebrew text.

labradordash.thumb.jpg.13bbc40d5bd19620a2dd7ba1324b5734.jpg

• Like 27
  • Haha 5

Good morning. A sunny and cool (41F) here but temps will be in the 70's this afternoon. I was up early so dogs and I took advantage of a Sunday calm and had a long walk. I wound up carrying the Chihuahua the last block.

Yesterday morning I had a message from my bank that my credit card had been declined for a charge in Tawain. Good ... since I am not there, obviously. I called the bank and the card was cancelled immediately which is a good thing since "they" tried again with a charge in the U.S. this morning. The charges are small and weird..... obviously feelers. Annoying.... very annoying. I have a couple of automatic payments set up and I suspect one of those may be the leak. It will mean more work, but I think I am going to pay off by other methods for a few months. More work but probably more secure. And I have temporarily frozen my other credit cards. And I am making a voodoo doll clutching a credit card which I am going to stab with lots of pins! I am getting very chummy with the Fraud department.

@dfishglad you are feeling better. @kazuI am really glad that Ivan is turning out to be so companionable. Take care all. And may the scammers pass you by. I seem to be on someone's little list.

Susan

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, kazu said:

So glad to hear you are improving 👍 I hope you feel better and better with each day 🙏🏻 

Thanks!

Of course you are member of the gardening club 🙂.  Pretty Irises.

I can't take credit for any of them.  The only gardening I have done here is to get rid of the chives in the front bed and free some hostas from the grass that was choking them out.  I don't think much gardening took place here previously.

I will bow to the wisdom of Tina’s app.  It doesn’t look at all like any of my ferns when they come up, though.  I would have guessed something else.  It should be clear in a week or two for sure.

We have ferns coming up elsewhere and they don't look like this.  We'll just be careful and see what it is once it is fully opened.  If we like it, we'll transplant it to the flower bed.

• Like 24

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

I love Lens....

• Like 19

Good morning all!

Another partly cloudy day and will get to the mid 60's again.  I spent all day yesterday buying and planting flowers -- a great day but my back was hurting a bit last night.  Today DH isn't working and our goal is to finish building the arbor and get it up in the back yard.  Then the plan is BBQ steak for dinner.  

The wine and drink both sound good, not sure about the meal.  I'm not fond of couscous -- thank you Tina @0106 for letting us know how healthy it is.  Especially since I'm diabetic (but I get lots of fiber in other ways).  I should try it again.  I've never been to Brazil.

Sandi @StLouisCruisers  Glad to hear you're feeling better today!

Terry @smitty34877 I join others in hoping that Tana can get outside today.

Debbie @dfish, glad to hear that you're doing so much better!  As for your photo of the plant, my garden app says it's False Hellebore.  I have tons of it coming up in my back yard, it's very invasive here.  I pull it out when I see it.  JMO, but it has no place in my garden. It's also poisonous.  https://www.google.com/search?

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and Happy Sunday from beautiful Tucson. Our pool is still too cold to use. Maybe someday we can get solar for it. 

I love couscous and used to make it frequently. I need to make it soon because Tina’s recipes reminded me how much I love it. My favorite is from Ina Garten. You could definitely change the nuts and currants for what you like and add chicken if you want. I’m actually not a big fan of curry but in this it’s very subtle. 
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/curried-couscous-recipe-1951578

I also have made this one which uses pearl couscous aka Israeli couscous. 
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/israeli-couscous-and-tuna-salad-recipe-3381642

I invited our family out for dinner tonight. I wanted to have them over but I just don’t like cooking for 10 people anymore. It will be fun seeing everyone all together and it should be enjoyable because we are going to Pinnacle Peak. @Nickelpenny will know what restaurant that is. Even DM is going to come!

I hope everyone has a great day and for those celebrating also enjoy the long Memorial Day weekend, and not forget what the day is for. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

My cough was not leaving, and then yesterday, I could not taste my potato salad....hmmmm...I added a bit of everything, celery, onion, pickle, pickle juice, a dash of Italian dressing....nothing..... and then it dawned on me, and I took a Covid test.  Yup. Well this explains a lot.  I have one errand to do, get the outdoor cat her temptations, and then back home to the sofa, and Indy...then Nascar....

I hope you all have a great day, and @smitty34877I hope your neighbors can assist you in getting Tana out into the sunshine!

Heat still comes on every morning in Atlanta, but I've taken to sleeping sitting up in the den.  With a cat of course.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 10

Good Afternoon Everyone, thanks for today’s daily report.  It’s a beautiful warm sunny day in New England.  I ran errands this morning and among them picking up treats for Zander’s birthday. Tonight we will have fried chicken thighs, with corn on the cob and potato salad.  Our lunch plans were changed when the 99 was offering burgers for 6.99. I hope everyone has a good day today.
image.thumb.png.6581e9927dc720326591744580bbc2d1.png

• Like 21
  • Haha 6