Refund or Goodwill?

PasadenaDave

I had posted on another thread about my experience seeking a refund for a Viking cancelled excursion.

For those who didn't see it, we were on the Nile cruise in April 2023 and had a fabulous trip.  They offer a sunrise balloon excursion in Luxor which tends to get cancelled due to winds.  Historically this could only be booked on board.  We learned in early March that the practice had changed and we were able to book the excursion $548 for two prior to leaving the US.  We did to ensure that we could join the excursion.

We were some of those who miss out on the excursion due to weather and we were told on the ship that refunds would be made in the manner in which they were paid.

Upon receipt of our May credit card statement there was no refund of the balloon excursion.  We called Viking and were told that they would have to verify with the ship that the excursion was cancelled.  To their credit, we received a phone call within 36 hours and were told that they would mail a check in two weeks as a "Goodwill" gesture.

We did receive a check and it does state RF Goodwill.

I am at a loss as to how this is a goodwill gesture?

There is nothing goodwill about a refund of a cancelled excursion.  We had to follow up and make a call to get a refund which just does not make sense.  I completely understand the challenges of hiring qualified people today and training them after the pandemic but this was handled poorly

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

I had posted on another thread about my experience seeking a refund for a Viking cancelled excursion.

For those who didn't see it, we were on the Nile cruise in April 2023 and had a fabulous trip.  They offer a sunrise balloon excursion in Luxor which tends to get cancelled due to winds.  Historically this could only be booked on board.  We learned in early March that the practice had changed and we were able to book the excursion $548 for two prior to leaving the US.  We did to ensure that we could join the excursion.

We were some of those who miss out on the excursion due to weather and we were told on the ship that refunds would be made in the manner in which they were paid.

Upon receipt of our May credit card statement there was no refund of the balloon excursion.  We called Viking and were told that they would have to verify with the ship that the excursion was cancelled.  To their credit, we received a phone call within 36 hours and were told that they would mail a check in two weeks as a "Goodwill" gesture.

There is nothing goodwill about a refund of a cancelled excursion.  We had to follow up and make a call to get a refund which just does not make sense.  I completely understand the challenges of hiring qualified people today and training them after the pandemic but this was handled poorly

Seriously?  You are bothered by the word "Goodwill" /

Good grief.  Cash the check and move on.

Others have had problems just getting their money back, period.

Sorry for the words they used.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

It may simply be their internal accounting bucket note.  They are not likely talking to "you" but referencing what section of the books it came from.

likely a way of speeding your refund rather than the round about checks and balances of ship to office to credit card company and on it goes

• Like 2

@PasadenaDave Write to TellUs and explain the situation and this should not have been a "goodwill" refund.  They might just ignore your email since you've already got the refund.

A similar situation happened to me with my bank.  They charged me a fee due to their error, but I had to track it down.  When they contacted me, they said it was a goodwill refund.  I wrote back and pointed out it was their mistake.  Never responded.  Not even a "we are sorry for the inconvenience" crap banks says when they are not at fault.

I received a similar check refunding three days of prepaid gratuities after our ship turned around mid Atlantic on March 12, 2020 and returned us to Miami rather than taking us to Barcelona when Viking halted operations.  It took me several emails and phone calls to get the monies refunded.  I remember shaking my head when I saw Goodwill but as others have suggested decided to let it go and deposit the check 😀

Sorry, I agree with Dave.

The refund should have been posted to your account before you left the ship.

To call it "Goodwill" is insulting and sounds to me like charity on Viking's behalf.

I have read these boards long enough to know a bit about CC and Clay.

If the same situation happened to you, you would complain.  I know I would.

Everyone is different. 

Dave didn't ask for advice.

• Like 1

As mentioned above, "Goodwill" is actually an accounting concept as well as a word in general usage. It is a line item in most companies' Chart of Accounts. Among other things, it accounts for the intangible asset value of a company's brand and reputation. While the return of money owed to you could certainly be called a refund, the Goodwill memo might just be an attempt to present it in a more positive light. If so, in this case it backfired!

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

As mentioned above, "Goodwill" is actually an accounting concept as well as a word in general usage. It is a line item in most companies' Chart of Accounts. Among other things, it accounts for the intangible asset value of a company's brand and reputation. While the return of money owed to you could certainly be called a refund, the Goodwill memo might just be an attempt to present it in a more positive light. If so, in this case it backfired!

I fail to see how this could possibly be construed as being a “more positive light”.

In fact, it almost reminds me of an insurance company that fights paying a valid claim, as if there will be some insured folks who will give up before getting the proper compensation.

15 minutes ago, May B said:

I fail to see how this could possibly be construed as being a “more positive light”.

In fact, it almost reminds me of an insurance company that fights paying a valid claim, as if there will be some insured folks who will give up before getting the proper compensation.

There actually are such folks - those who shy away from any negotiation/hassle. Insurance companies (as well as car dealers) know these people exist. By the way ----- "such folks" are generally referred to as idiots.

23 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

Perhaps a little more clarity is needed given the comments.

1.  We had a great cruise 

2.  I am glad to have received the refund.

3.  When Viking tells me in person that the refund will be made automatically I believe them.

4.  I warn others to check their credit card statements ALWAYS.

5.  The ship should have notified corporate of the cancellation.

6.  A refund is a return of monies paid and while I should not have had to follow up on the refund, that is part and parcel of business today and yes I deal with it.

7.  Goodwill which I was told why I was receiving the payment (differs from the accounting term) generally is for an apology for a mistake or a missed port or turn around mid-Ocean.

8.  Goodwill is also an accounting term but I was told goodwill before it showed up on the check.

9.  I recognize that during the pandemic it was a challenge getting refunds.  The pandemic is over but companies have not staffed up to handle the load now.

10.  Big business falls over themselves appearing to be nice and using phrases such as "as a courtesy", "as recognition for being a loyal customer", "goodwill".  This is in place of the correct phrase which is "We are sorry that you had to follow up on your refund and we will strive to do better in the future."

11.  Viking Egypt is different from Viking Ocean but we found the service on ship and on excursions to be excellent.  What differs is the communication between ship and corporate.

12.  I dealt with conflict in my working years, I dislike conflict but it is necessary and fortunately I have the time to follow up on petty things such as a $548 refund which is not a petty sum for anyone.

13.  Yes, I am privileged in the era, geography and parentage of my birth and upbringing.

Signing Off

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2023 at 1:43 PM, Meander Ingwa said:

It may simply be their internal accounting bucket note.  They are not likely talking to "you" but referencing what section of the books it came from.

likely a way of speeding your refund rather than the round about checks and balances of ship to office to credit card company and on it goes

I totally agree that this is probably an accounting function and not a reflection on you in any way.  I am a CPA and work for a large healthcare entity (we have 38 hospitals scattered across the country) and some of the account titles we use are not reflective of what actually is recorded in those accounts.  Just ignore where the refund is recorded for their in house folks....it means something to them but should not concern you at all.  At times also, things get miscoded by staff and later we at corporate have to ferret out the mistakes and get them corrected to the appropriate account.  It may not be caught until we close the books for a month and see something odd sitting in an account, research and get it moved to the correct account.  Happens all the time....especially by the facility personnel and some even by our corporate accountants.  Everybody is just human and mistakes will occur.  Sorry this rankled you so much, but it really has nothing to do with you or your refund.