Izumi Hibachi - making reservations on embarkation day

Can Izumi Hibachi (Oasis) only be reserved at Izumi, or can I go to any restaurant?   I thought I read all restaurants can make your reservations for you when you board, EXCEPT Izumi Hibachi which requires you to go there in person.    Is this still the case?

On 6/2/2023 at 11:59 AM, BobNoxious said:

Can Izumi Hibachi (Oasis) only be reserved at Izumi, or can I go to any restaurant?   I thought I read all restaurants can make your reservations for you when you board, EXCEPT Izumi Hibachi which requires you to go there in person.    Is this still the case?

On Serenade in February, we made our Izumi Hibachi reservations at Chops on boarding day along with all of our other reservations.

Another interesting thing about Izumi on Mariner....while you had to make the hibachi reservations at Izumi they did not take any reservations at all for the sushi bar.  That's the first time I've heard of no reservations for sushi.  Now, granted, the sushi side of Izumi on Mariner is TINY...they have obviously gone all-out for the hibachi experience on Mariner, but I was surprised that they would not make a reservation for us for sushi.  It is walk-up, only.

Edited by RFerrington

12 minutes ago, pasodancer said:

I made our Izumi Hibachi (Oasis 6/9) reservations online when I purchased it through the Cruise Planner.  Am I missing something?

Nope, even if you have the package you can still make the reservation through the cruise planner. Just pay full price and once onboard switch the reservation to a package night and get a refund minus the up charge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Nope, even if you have the package you can still make the reservation through the cruise planner. Just pay full price and once onboard switch the reservation to a package night and get a refund minus the up charge. 

I’ve been reading that some ships are not allowing this anymore.  

6 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I’ve been reading that some ships are not allowing this anymore.  

I hope that’s not the case because that’s what I did. How are they not allowing it?  I made a reservation for the hibachi on night five and I plan on converting it to my 3 night dining plan once I get on board.

11 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Another interesting thing about Izumi on Mariner....while you had to make the hibachi reservations at Izumi they did not take any reservations at all for the sushi bar.  That's the first time I've heard of no reservations for sushi.  Now, granted, the sushi side of Izumi on Mariner is TINY...they have obviously gone all-out for the hibachi experience on Mariner, but I was surprised that they would not make a reservation for us for sushi.  It is walk-up, only.

We wanted sushi on Mariner and that was our experience as well.

That sushi bar only seems to sit about 6 or eight people with no other sushi seating. 

They suggested to come about a half an hour prior to our preferred time. We went about a half an hour prior to our scheduled dining room time, so that if there was no accommodation at izumi, we would simply eat in the dining room that evening. 

It worked out fine for several cruises. There was only one instance where they could not see this, and because it was prior to our scheduled dinner time, we simply went to the dining room that evening.

• Like 1

Any UDP or 3 nt dining package on Oasis. You must go to Izumi on the first day to make your reservation for hibachi.( Izumi would not  allow me to make any Reservation for the other specialty restaurants) For all other reservations, you can go to any  restaurant. If you really want to go to hibachi , I suggest that It be your first stop as soon as you get onboard.

Now I understand - I purchased Izumi Hibachi individually (not part of a 3-night package or UDP).  I was able to get the reservation time/day I desired when I purchased it on the cruise planner.  So basically, they are giving priority of reservations to those of us who purchase it individually.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, slyster said:

I hope that’s not the case because that’s what I did. How are they not allowing it?  I made a reservation for the hibachi on night five and I plan on converting it to my 3 night dining plan once I get on board.

I hope it works for you.  It seems to be very much a YMMV situation.  It just seems like Royal is getting wise to this "hack" and may be trying to shut it down.  Fingers crossed that it works for you !!

2 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I hope it works for you.  It seems to be very much a YMMV situation.  It just seems like Royal is getting wise to this "hack" and may be trying to shut it down.  Fingers crossed that it works for you !!

How are they handling the situation?  Are they telling people they can’t use their dining plan for it if they booked online?  Just curious what you heard.  

Just now, slyster said:

How are they handling the situation?  Are they telling people they can’t use their dining plan for it if they booked online?  Just curious what you heard.  

What I have "heard" (read) is that they are charging those who made the online reservation, pre-cruise the full price (that is to say...the price that they paid online, not full onboard price)...IOW, they are not allowing them to use the pre-made reservation as one of their package meals.  I really think it's dependent upon the ship and who you get to help you with the "conversion".  I think you will be in a better position if you have the UDP than if you have only a 3-night package.  Hopefully it's much ado about nothing and you will be fine.

8 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

What I have "heard" (read) is that they are charging those who made the online reservation, pre-cruise the full price (that is to say...the price that they paid online, not full onboard price)...IOW, they are not allowing them to use the pre-made reservation as one of their package meals.  I really think it's dependent upon the ship and who you get to help you with the "conversion".  I think you will be in a better position if you have the UDP than if you have only a 3-night package.  Hopefully it's much ado about nothing and you will be fine.

Are we able to just cancel on board if they do that?  I don’t mind if it turns into OBC. 

I would not wait until embarkation if you really want to eat there.  I just got off Wonder and a family with the UDP told me they got on the ship at 11:30 made their dining reservations, then went to Izumi Hibachi and had to get on the waiting list.  They were number 70!!!  

8 hours ago, pasodancer said:

Now I understand - I purchased Izumi Hibachi individually (not part of a 3-night package or UDP).  I was able to get the reservation time/day I desired when I purchased it on the cruise planner.  So basically, they are giving priority of reservations to those of us who purchase it individually.  

Yes. Exactly. 
m

We prefer specialty dining and always book on line before the  cruise.  It is  hard for me to run around once on board, though I have done it.  I am not sure how much more this costs me  from an UDP but I get the restaurants and times generally I want. ( My daughter also does not like Chops for dinner).  For next cruise in July I  booked Izumi twice and the Hibachi though on line can only do Hibachi  around 5 or 9.  

1 hour ago, ksp819 said:

I would not wait until embarkation if you really want to eat there.  I just got off Wonder and a family with the UDP told me they got on the ship at 11:30 made their dining reservations, then went to Izumi Hibachi and had to get on the waiting list.  They were number 70!!!  

I heard it’s almost impossible to book Izumi hibachi once on board; at the very least very difficult.  That’s why I got the advice to book it online and then rebook it under my 3 night dining plan once on board.  

On 6/3/2023 at 1:30 PM, orville99 said:

On Serenade in February, we made our Izumi Hibachi reservations at Chops on boarding day along with all of our other reservations.

Serenade doesn't have Izumi Hibachi. Another ship, maybe? 

3 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Yes, when you cancel on board they issue a fully refundable OBC. 

From what I’ve read, at least on Oasis, they are not giving the OBC anymore for the “hack”. I’m not sure about that. I’d guess they would still give the OBC for cancelling within 48 hrs of the reservation.  The post I saw, the person tried to cancel at the time of their reservation when they found out it wouldn’t be converted to the package. 

Edited by Boz575
  • Like 1