The Eclipse is In Sad shape

Alex618

8 hours ago, Alex618 said:

I have photos but reluctantly will not post.  During our first three days our balcony was painted, balcony furniture was replace, and we got a new fabric sofa replacing our leather or leather like sofa.  The sheer curtail with foot long holes/rips were left in place.  The carpeting also was left intact and the badly scratched table remained. . In my opinion, the room steward should have reported most of this.  We also books dogged eared and wrinkled left from previous sailing.  I can tell you that a hotel manger and the concierge rep did all they could to resolve are issues. 

Please post your photos! It's the best way to get the word out and make Celebrity take a good look.  I hope you mentioned this onboard and also you should email Celebrity with the photos as well. 

I have been on Eclipse and was considering a Bermuda family cruise in 2024, but your post give me pause. But, I'd really like to see cabin pics to back up what your wrote.

10 hours ago, HardyVA said:

Summit will not be going to Bermuda in 2024.  Eclipse is.  I was getting ready to book it but am now concerned based on some of the comments I’ve read here about her condition. 

These are my thoughts also. I have done Summit to Bermuda many times and Eclipse has me a bit worried.

Laura

5 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

These are my thoughts also. I have done Summit to Bermuda many times and Eclipse has me a bit worried.

We were on Summit to Bermuda in 2019, right after she was Edgified, in an S2. While the suite experience and Luminae were great overall, the room itself was TERRIBLE - they ruined the layout of bed and bath when they remodeled. Also, the public areas were naturally in tip top shape but much of the newer furniture was horribly uncomfortable. Eclipse has some wear and tear but I would choose her (and the Sunset Veranda we had  on deck 6 last week) over a suite on Summit any day.

47 minutes ago, ecslady said:

Please post your photos! It's the best way to get the word out and make Celebrity take a good look.  I hope you mentioned this onboard and also you should email Celebrity with the photos as well. 

I have been on Eclipse and was considering a Bermuda family cruise in 2024, but your post give me pause. But, I'd really like to see cabin pics to back up what your wrote.

Yes trust me it was mentioned to Guess services, hotel manager saw and was on the floor and at the concierge desk along with showing them photos.  Like I said most was taken care of in the first 3 Days but much still needs attention. This was one side of the sheers plus small holes.  The sheers appear to be just rotten. I will not post any more because I am using cc on an old iPad and these photos are on my new phone and will not air drop. 

66B9560B-B2A5-44B5-A68E-504B35332D0F.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2023 at 10:25 AM, Baynanno1 said:

I am wondering what has happened to Eclipse between December 2022 and now??

We did not notice anything dreadfully concerning - in fact the opposite - scrupulous attention to sanitising high touch areas such as hand rails on the stairs, also lifts, both outside and inside.

If there was a little peeling paint, or a hole in some fabric - would that have affected our cruise experience - no.

A large stain I agree could be somewhat off-putting, but some stains are extremely difficult to remove - especially if the person who caused the (presumed) spill did not let staff know at the time, therefore prolonging the time before it received initial attention and making it more difficult, or even impossible to remove.

Surely everyone is aware that all cruise lines are doing it at least a bit tough, having had no income for several years. The ships are cruising, the beds are comfortable, the linen is clean, food is enjoyable and people are enjoying their travel.

Cosmetic refurbishment will come soon enough!

I'm wondering what happened between April this year and now, as well as January and now.
In April we didn't have sheers on our curtains but we were in a verandah, but in January we certainly did in concierge.  As to everything else I thought that the Eclipse was doing pretty well considering that the refurb had been put off because of Covid.

The staff do an excellent job keeping everything clean.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 10:56 PM, Alex618 said:

We just came off row Eclipse on the May 28th. She really needs to go into dry dock. I understand she was to go in in 2020 and that did not happen. Most of the furnishing are in bad shape.and soiled.  I can not begin to think how she will look in 2024. Excursions were good and service was outstanding.  But the cabin was shabby in no way luxuary.  We were in. Concierge 1.

Post a review with pictures.  Pictures make the difference...

6 hours ago, Alex618 said:

Yes trust me it was mentioned to Guess services, hotel manager saw and was on the floor and at the concierge desk along with showing them photos.  Like I said most was taken care of in the first 3 Days but much still needs attention. This was one side of the sheers plus small holes.  The sheers appear to be just rotten. I will not post any more because I am using cc on an old iPad and these photos are on my new phone and will not air drop. 

I wonder if the C1 in the aft gets different Sun and or wear and tear from cruisers who book those aft cabins. My C2 in March on Deck 10, midship was lovely, great hump balcony, tables about the same with wear …but somehow we do not notice, or focus on these imperfections in the cabin. Everything worked. We had great weather. 

• Like 3

On 6/4/2023 at 11:48 AM, Alsmez said:

We're just getting ready to disembark Eclipse now - sitting in the outdoor part of Oceanview as I type. She is definitely showing some signs of wear but nothing egregious IMO. Our aft balcony had some peeling paint/rust etc and we didn't have sheer curtains, but the steward kept everything spotless. Public areas were also clean, though there was worn carpet and upholstery here and there. While she does need a refresh, I sincerely hope they don't "edgify" her the way they did Summit. IMO the classic S-class builds call for richer and warmer colors. All that cool modern grey looks awful on an older ship like Summit (and is already on its way out from an HGTV trend perspective). 

Grey might be 'going out' but Orange was popular in the far distant past and IMO should have been replaced when wear was evident in the older ships.  The S class cabins with orange everywhere, blond wood, and brownish carpet made the cabin look dismal and shabby as it aged.  I find the grey/blue/white combination in the renovated and Edge class cabins cleaner and sharper looking. 

BTW...we're scheduled to sail Eclipse in 2024 and concerned with postings of its apparent condition.  We were last on her in 2017 (8344 aft) and she looked just fine to us then.  Guess a lot of wear can happen in 6 years on the ocean.

10 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I find the grey/blue/white combination in the renovated and Edge class cabins cleaner and sharper looking. 

I actually love the grey/white color palette on E-Class ships as well, regardless of whether it's on trend anymore. However, I didn't think it sat well on Summit given her age. I liken her Edgification to bad plastic surgery and fillers on a 70-year old face - it doesn't erase the years, it actually highlights them by drawing attention in an unnatural way. I agree that the color palette on S-class ships needs to be updated, but I don't think they should match the E-class.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alsmez said:

I actually love the grey/white color palette on E-Class ships as well, regardless of whether it's on trend anymore. However, I didn't think it sat well on Summit given her age. I liken her Edgification to bad plastic surgery and fillers on a 70-year old face - it doesn't erase the years, it actually highlights them by drawing attention in an unnatural way. I agree that the color palette on S-class ships needs to be updated, but I don't think they should match the E-class.

I also like the grey white color palette on E class ships having been on Edge last year and just returned from Apex last month.  Was on Eclipse last May 2022 in a veranda cabin which was in good condition but noticed some wear and tear in public areas mostly the chairs in cafe El bacio but I'm not one to sit and spend time there so didn't really matter. 

Color palette is the least of my worries when I cruise.  Sheers?  Who uses them?  What purpose do they serve?  I only close my curtains during the day when I'm out of the cabin to keep the heat out.  

I do understand not wanting beat up furniture and torn carpets, etc..I would certainly bring those to someone's attention.  

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 3:11 PM, phoenix_dream said:

And which crystal ball did you use to determine that?  Maybe you're not aware but oftentimes they do some updates while they are sailing.  For example, on our last cruise we left one day to old balcony furniture and came back to brand new.  I understand they can't do a significant update while at sea, but they can make more changes than you would think,

I sailed Eclipse about 9 months ago and while it was certainly not perfect, I would not have described it as sad.  We were in an Aqua Class cabin.

We sailed in January, and I was left wondering WHAT exactly people did to the ship in the following 5 months!  😯

I don't doubt that the OP found issues, but more that, having grown up in houses where faded chintz slip covers were the norm, and having sailed on the ocean liners in 1st class when I was young, I think I have different standards of "luxury."  I do think Celebrity overplays the word in their advertising.  It's really more of a nice main stream line.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Color palette is the least of my worries when I cruise.  Sheers?  Who uses them?  What purpose do they serve?  I only close my curtains during the day when I'm out of the cabin to keep the heat out.  

I do understand not wanting beat up furniture and torn carpets, etc..I would certainly bring those to someone's attention.  

Actually I like having sheers as sometimes the bright sun is just too much in the cabin but we don't want it to be pitch dark either.  That said, have sailed on ships where they were removed and it certainly didn't make that much of a difference to our enjoyment.  I also don't worry about furniture or carpets that are a little worn here and there.  Major issues - certainly would address those.

• Like 1

We were on the Millenium just before they upgraded and just after.  It was like on a new and different ship. It was fabulous. 
that being said we were on the Eclipse last October. We were also in a SV and were  happy with it.  I really didn’t notice that it was shabby at all. I guess I don’t really look for that. We had wonderful cabin attendants that kept it clean and comfortable.  We had an awesome time. Loved our cruise.  I’m sorry that it wasn’t up to your expections. That really sucks when you spend good money and don’t feel you get what you paid for. Hoping your next cruise is good.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Alex618 said:

Glad you brought it to the attention of the Hotel Manager.

27 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

I've read plenty of bad reviews about blah food and terrible service on Virgin Voyages, sorry.

That wasn't my experience.  I thought the food on Virgin was very good overall.  Better than most ships I've been on.  Service was great too (but we were in a suite).  Only complaint was it felt like it was geared towards a 20-40 year old crowd...which is fine, but we just felt like it wasn't completely for us.

1 hour ago, Cruisegoer said:

I've read plenty of bad reviews about blah food and terrible service on Virgin Voyages, sorry.

This sounds like every cruise line out there... including Celebrity... doesn't it?

2 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

Where are you seeing these "plenty of bad reviews"?  I skimmed the first 5 pages on here, there was one thread on dining where they shared their opinion with slow service but were positive with the food itself.  With service, since everyone gets free specialty dining restaurant and therefore service isn't as good as other lines PAID specialty dining service.  And there was a half hour wait at get poached at the Galley during breakfast but said it tasted great

22 hours ago, Alex618 said:

i remember these from years ago!

not a big Hoppen fan but this is " rag bag"

19 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Where are you seeing these "plenty of bad reviews"?  I skimmed the first 5 pages on here, there was one thread on dining where they shared their opinion with slow service but were positive with the food itself.  With service, since everyone gets free specialty dining restaurant and therefore service isn't as good as other lines PAID specialty dining service.  And there was a half hour wait at get poached at the Galley during breakfast but said it tasted great

Facebook, Scarlet Lady- Virgin Cruise Line group page.  You may not realize there is life beyond CC.

Just now, Cruisegoer said:

Facebook, Scarlet Lady- Virgin Cruise Line group page.  You may not realize there is life beyond CC.

Thanks, I checked here (low hanging fruit), first.  We join every FB sailing group we book; haven’t booked virgin yet