No A/C in cabin on Caribbean Princess…help

MarcsSharon

4 minutes ago, Towlie said:

No, I had obstructed window room on emerald deck and ac wasn’t perfect .

Usually was ok but there were times at time room got warm and stuffy . I didn’t mention this in my review as I didn’t spend much time in the room , plus I have experienced it so often on other cruise ships of different brands that I shrug it off as typical.

Yeah I've found it fairly common cruising around the Caribbean that in the heat of the day the A/C struggles to keep up, regardless of what ship I've been on.  It catches up in the evening/overnight then wash/rinse/repeat the next day.  It's a problem when it is still hot overnight.  I've managed to dodge cabins that have this issue on the CB but people have written about it for many many years so clearly it's an issue.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MarcsSharon said:

Saddest part is..this cruise is their 2nd..the first being on the broken Crown last summer in Alaska. He got back 50% of fare and used it for this trip. Needless to say…never again on Princess.

he should stop sailing on old ships, and everything will be fine. We refuse to sail on Caribbean Princess ever again, after sailing on her in 2016. But that doesn't stop us from enjoying newer Princess ships very much.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, MarcsSharon said:

My family is currently on Caribbean Princess and has no air conditioning in  their mini suite. He is getting ZERO satisfaction from front desk. An suggestions on how to escalate this so they get some comfort?

Please let us know how (or if) this is resolved. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Princess ships aren't set up that way.

Regardless of whether the cabin recirculation AC shuts off when the  balcony door is open, having the balcony door open upsets the balance of the fresh air AC system to whole blocks of cabins, causing them to get warm.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

I always find that AC is not as cool when ship engine is shut off in port. 

The only possible correlation would be that there is no convective cooling from the air passing by the ship while moving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, waltd said:

Take your blanket and pillows and if you can pull your mattress down to guest services and sleep there for a few nights.    I think it might light a fire.   And yes we did read on CC that someone did that very thing.

That would be my hubby!. We ended up getting our way.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Princess ships aren't set up that way.

They are, there is a sensor on the sliding door, same type as on security system, it's there to tell the ac your door is open. Unless they have by passed it

35 minutes ago, antsp said:

They are, there is a sensor on the sliding door, same type as on security system, it's there to tell the ac your door is open. Unless they have by passed it

Unless things have changed on the CB since we last sailed on it, I've never seen it. It would be a great savings if they did have it. 

We've been sailing on the newer Royal class ships for so long now and it's a pleasure no to have to deal with the problem as each cabin has it's own AC unit. 

18 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

he should stop sailing on old ships, and everything will be fine. We refuse to sail on Caribbean Princess ever again, after sailing on her in 2016. But that doesn't stop us from enjoying newer Princess ships very much.

I see you're another convert to the newer ships also. 😄 

We changed and never looked back. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Unless things have changed on the CB since we last sailed on it, I've never seen it. It would be a great savings if they did have it. 

We've been sailing on the newer Royal class ships for so long now and it's a pleasure no to have to deal with the problem as each cabin has it's own AC unit. 

Each cabin in every ship built for the last couple of decades have "it's own AC unit".  I would be willing to bet that even the Royal class ships have a door switch that shuts off the cabin's "own AC unit" off when open.  However, as I stated in my previous post, there is a second AC system in every cabin in every ship, new or old, that supplies fresh air to banks of 30 or more cabins, and this system is not shut off when the balcony door is open, and this unbalances the system for the entire bank of cabins, causing every other cabin than the one with the door open, to get warm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

We have the opposite issue. On the Discovery in a suite and can’t turn off the AC. Cold air all night over the bed. Engineering due to look at unit for the 3rd time in 5 days

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Each cabin in every ship built for the last couple of decades have "it's own AC unit".  I would be willing to bet that even the Royal class ships have a door switch that shuts off the cabin's "own AC unit" off when open.  

Now I have to remember to check it the next time we're on the a Royal class ship. I never noticed any difference in the air flow but then again we shut the door when going on the balcony. 

20 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The only possible correlation would be that there is no convective cooling from the air passing by the ship while moving.

And maybe the fact that ships are usually in port during the hottest part of the day.

I was on a Holland America ship where the AC went out. My travel clock has a digital thermometer on it. It read 82 degrees. Went to Guest services to complain.(It was 9pm in Aruba). I was told to turn my AC off, wait 5 minutes, then turn back on. Did that, waited 15 minutes and warm air still coming out of unit. Went back down, and some snotnosed representative went to my room with me to check the temperature. She went to the vent and held up a portable thermometer and told me the temperature was acceptable. I asked what it read and she said 27. So I flipped the switch on my clock to Celsius and it read 27. I asked her what temperature was unacceptable, but she just turned and walked away. Now I had noticed all the GS agents were wearing sweaters, so I got into my sleepwear, took my pillow and duvet down to GS and laid down on one of the couches in the lobby. My husband went to the bar. GS called security, security got the hotel manager, they went to our room, next thing I know they gave us a room to sleep in for the night. Next day maintenance went in and in 2 minutes had cool air blowing. They said a switch of some sort had flipped off. 

I guess Holland did not appreciate me running around in my pj's. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

We’ll I guess op/ author has not been back to explain outcome.  I’m not even sure they were on board ,just they had Family on board. Either way hope the family got everything solved .

i have never had Princess specifically tell passengers in literature or otherwise say  if you have a balcony cabin you must keep the balcony  door closed. ( it would be posted on slider or in cabin)There are plenty of us that like to keep our balcony door open and listen to the ocean as we sail. Some hotel rooms, once you open the sliding door the air conditioning goes off ,don’t think this happens on any Princess  ship ,but I could be wrong about that. So if this was truly happening (I.e. other cabins will be affective  temperature wise if your cabin slider is open)Princess  would advise us to keep cabin balcony door closed,just like no smoking in your cabin is definitely explained.

2 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

We’ll I guess op/ author has not been back to explain outcome.  I’m not even sure they were on board ,just they had Family on board. Either way hope the family got everything solved .

i have never had Princess specifically tell passengers in literature or otherwise say  if you have a balcony cabin you must keep the balcony  door closed. ( it would be posted on slider or in cabin)There are plenty of us that like to keep our balcony door open and listen to the ocean as we sail. Some hotel rooms, once you open the sliding door the air conditioning goes off ,don’t think this happens on any Princess  ship ,but I could be wrong about that. So if this was truly happening (I.e. other cabins will be affective  temperature wise if your cabin slider is open)Princess  would advise us to keep cabin balcony door closed,just like no smoking in your cabin is definitely explained.

Have seen it on the door on the Discovery.

10 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

As I stated..it was my son and family on cruise..D618. They got the a/c working only to have it go out again. They were given a fan…I will get the final outcome tomorrow. They were extremely disappointed with the lack of sympathy from guest services…sorry only goes so far. Thanks for all the suggestions..I did pass them along to him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MarcsSharon said:

As I stated..it was my son and family on cruise..D618. They got the a/c working only to have it go out again. They were given a fan…I will get the final outcome tomorrow. They were extremely disappointed with the lack of sympathy from guest services…sorry only goes so far. Thanks for all the suggestions..I did pass them along to him.

19 minutes ago, MarcsSharon said:

D618

Thanks for coming back to explain more,terrible either way that they are not being satisfied or accommodated properly. I Agree ,sorry does not go far on a vacation in a smallish cabin.

Edited by arizonaperson

On 6/9/2023 at 11:14 PM, MarcsSharon said:

Thanks. Will have to keep the A/C situation in mind. Cabins D710 and D714 in April 2024.

On 6/9/2023 at 11:00 PM, arizonaperson said:

Read the post above from @Chengkp75. Its been  well documented that leaving balcony doors open can disrupt airflow to nearby cabins. And Princess does advise to keepthe balcony doors closed, I have seen the stickers on the doors. 

• Thanks 2