Binoculars and umbrellas

johnnyd

In our Westerdam Signature Suite there was one pair of binoculars and a single umbrella (full size) in the closet.  Like Highscar (above) we prefer to bring our own compact Totes which are much easier to carry or can just be slipped in our backpack or DW's tote bag.

Hank

• Like 1

Good idea to bring your own binoculars if you are serious about using them. 
My husband has a very  good pair which we used on the Neiu Amsterdam last August.
Our friends tried to use the ones from the ship and were very frustrated. As it turns out, the day that we were all in the Observation  Lounge, on the Glacier tour with the Park Rangers, binoculars were being sold in that Lounge,. Friends bought a pair and were very happy with them.

Sorry, I do not know what they paid.

• Like 2

I was happy to be able to use the binoculars provided.  If I saw a ship or a whale while sitting on the balcony, it was easy to step inside, pick up the binoculars and use them.  No, they weren't high end $500 Nikon binoculars, but they were easy to focus and I appreciated that the ship provided them.

Ray

• Like 2

Just now, Banditswife said:

While we've never been in a suite, I have never seen umbrellas available for passenger use at the gangway.  That would have been nice for the few times we got caught in a down pour.  Binoculars, we bring our own.

They may have been blocked by one of the security crew who was scanning key cards. I haven't seen signs for them, which would be nice, but have noticed them in a tall, unmarked umbrella stand on the ship-side of the gang way (so near where your card is scanned but before you walk "outside").

• Like 1

I had an umbrella in my closet in a regular veranda last fall as well as the signature suite.  They were also at the gangway as others have mentioned.  Frankly, if I had any thought of wanting to use an umbrella, I would use a small travel sized one.  The HAL ones were nice but they were full sized and I don't want to carry that around all day.

~Nancy

1 hour ago, sandiego1 said:

We were given a full size umbrella to use while on the 2023 world cruise on the Zuiderdam. We never used it as it was too large to carry.

On the 2017 WC on the Amsterdam we were given a nice 16 inch travel umbrella to keep.  It sits behind the seat in my car now.

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Oosterdam three days ago. We were in a signature suite, but there were no binoculars or umbrellas. When I asked our stateroom attendant about that, he said they don't have them in signature suites. I noticed the sign on the closet door shortly before we left saying the suite should have them. 

2 minutes ago, Sasue1 said:

We just got off the Oosterdam three days ago. We were in a signature suite, but there were no binoculars or umbrellas. When I asked our stateroom attendant about that, he said they don't have them in signature suites. I noticed the sign on the closet door shortly before we left saying the suite should have them. 

Yes, the Oosterdam had them the two times I had a Signature Suite.  Your steward was incorrect unfortunately.  Did they have umbrellas by the gangway for people to use?  I have seen that offered.

~Nancy

34 minutes ago, Sasue1 said:

Eurodam had both binoculars and umbrellas 🌂 in Signature Suite last month. Agree with @oakridger that your cabin steward was mistaken. 

Hope you were able to enjoy your cruise.

We have always had binoculars and an umbrella in our Signature Suites on HAL cruises. However, the supplied binoculars have always been cheap junk, often broken, scratched and very low power.  We take our own compact ones we bought on Amazon and know we will be able to see things on the cruise.

Here is a link to an excellent compact Binocular on Amazon that we took with us on our last cruise.

Amazon.com : 20X25 Compact Binoculars for Adults and Kids,Large Eyepiece Waterproof Binocular,Easy Focus Small Binoculars for Bird Watching,Hiking and Concert : Electronics

71xRa1Y88WL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

We had binoculars and the umbrella in our SS on the Noordam last fall. The umbrella is large and by if myself I prefer something smaller. However DD is in a wheelchair and it covered her and me quite well. We also used it at the Penguin parade in Australia. Kept a few of us dry. more than a smaller one would have. It was a very rainy night.

We do bring our own binoculars but the extra pair was fine for our purposes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

We have always had binoculars and an umbrella in our Signature Suites on HAL cruises. However, the supplied binoculars have always been cheap junk, often broken, scratched and very low power.  We take our own compact ones we bought on Amazon and know we will be able to see things on the cruise.

Here is a link to an excellent compact Binocular on Amazon that we took with us on our last cruise.

Amazon.com : 20X25 Compact Binoculars for Adults and Kids,Large Eyepiece Waterproof Binocular,Easy Focus Small Binoculars for Bird Watching,Hiking and Concert : Electronics

Binoculars for use at sea are normally 7x or 8x, which is the magnification factor. This is what is provided on most ship Bridges. The 2nd number is the size of the lens, which impacts the light gathering ability, with x35 or x50, being supplied on most ship Bridges. Smaller 2nd numbers let in less light. However, a smaller 2nd number is consistent with smaller, compact binoculars.

Higher magnifications, coupled with ship movement and vibration can cause blurring and a small 2nd number, letting in less light, renders them less effective in low light conditions.

While those 20x25 may work for you, based on their specifications, and having used binoculars at sea for 40 years, I would not class them as an excellent binocular for use in the marine environment. For most people, I don't suggest going above 10x, although personally I use 12x50 permafocus. Even 12x can be challenging when the ship is moving. Permafocus is an excellent feature, as based on depth of field, it is in focus from a few feet to infinity, so no messing with knobs to adjust the focus.

x50 clearly isn't compact, but personally, I prefer good light gathering and a wide field of vision over compact.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Binoculars for use at sea are normally 7x or 8x, which is the magnification factor. This is what is provided on most ship Bridges. The 2nd number is the size of the lens, which impacts the light gathering ability, with x35 or x50, being supplied on most ship Bridges. Smaller 2nd numbers let in less light. However, a smaller 2nd number is consistent with smaller, compact binoculars.

Higher magnifications, coupled with ship movement and vibration can cause blurring and a small 2nd number, letting in less light, renders them less effective in low light conditions.

While those 20x25 may work for you, based on their specifications, and having used binoculars at sea for 40 years, I would not class them as an excellent binocular for use in the marine environment. For most people, I don't suggest going above 10x, although personally I use 12x50 permafocus. Even 12x can be challenging when the ship is moving. Permafocus is an excellent feature, as based on depth of field, it is in focus from a few feet to infinity, so no messing with knobs to adjust the focus.

x50 clearly isn't compact, but personally, I prefer good light gathering and a wide field of vision over compact.

All I know they worked perfect for our last 3 cruises. I find 10X to be too weak and I have no problems with movement or blurring with the 20X power.. The 25 works fine for me in lower light situations. You can keep yours and I will continue to use and recommend mine. BTW mine are 200% better than the junk HAL provides in their cabins.

Edited by terrydtx