Is it time to exit the "X"?

kiterp

13 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

The other lines you mention are no better. Princess does not give you free drinks and doesn’t enforce their dress code. Free internet is gone from the perks. Elite you’ll get a mini bar set up in your room, that’s about it.  

A perfect example of why one should not always trust comments on CC without doing their own research. 

While Princess did convert the internet benefit from a limited number of free minutes, to a 50% discount on unlimited internet, that occured over 5 years ago and they also added 10% discount on excursions at the same time. They made the change when they changed their internet offering from one that was per minute based to one that is unlimited per day.

There are still more benefits than just the minibar, including free laundry as an example. Better to check out each lines web site to see what their benefits are.

I calculate that my elite benefits on Princess saved me over $700 on my last 22 day cruise. Less benefit if one chooses to buy a drink package in their fare since internet is included in those.

Edited by ldtr

8 hours ago, montythecat said:

I share most of the various criticisms of Celebrity which have been

identified which is why we now try and find itineraries we like on the

Pinnacle and Vista Class ships of Holland America. We are Elite

Plus but it doesn’t get us an awful lot apart from tender priority

which is always welcome. On the whole we reckon the restaurants 

and food are superior on HAL. The entertainment has been well

thought out by providing terrific music which suits us rather than

song and dance based theatre productions. To have a rock band,

two pianos and a classical quartet every night is unique. No other

cruise line has been so imaginative. On Pinnacle Class ships you

also get a blues/soul band. I hope HAL keep the classical quartet.

I am aware that there is a possibility they may be making changes.

The Dutch Cafe is another bonus. It is lovely and has interesting 

and good quality snacks and beers. We also much prefer The

Pinnacle Class ships of HAL rather than Celebrity’s Edge Class

which do not have a forward facing lounge for the majority of

their guests.

Funny thing is the number of people complaining about how bad HAL has gotten. Just about the same on every line. They all change and some do not like the changes.

On CC complaints feed upon complaints in an increasing spiral. Better off ignoring them and make your own decisions about each cruise line and what is right for you.

6 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I’m sure the main reason for the change to most bars was to reduce staff and as a bonus, they save a few bucks by eliminating the hors d'oeuvres

The pandemic was an opportunity for the cruise lines, including Celebrity, to change how they operate. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I think the main reason was the growing number of passengers with the Elite and above classification.  The numbers were just not manageable, too many people.  The enhancement allowing the free cocktails in most bars helped, but there is just not enough space for all those people interested.  
I have seen hors d’oeuvres being served in other area of the ship as well.  Eden’s on the Apex for instance.  I serious doubt if the staff has been reduced for this change as it is very busy at most bars offering the free drinks.  

Those of us that always get a drink package would prefer a different benefit, since free drinks is not a benefit for us.

this benefit does cost Celebrity a lot of lost revenue from those that do not have a drink package.

They would need extra staff (drink servers, snack servers, bussers and a host) for at least two hours every day but one/turnaround day.  Now they can be redeployed elsewhere 

11 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

The pandemic was an opportunity for the cruise lines, including Celebrity, to change how they operate. 

I’m just parroting what others have said, supposedly they made this change just before the pandemic.  Someone claimed on a TA sailing they given paper drink vouchers

33 minutes ago, ldtr said:

A perfect example of why one should not always trust comments on CC without doing their own research. 

While Princess did convert the internet benefit from a limited number of free minutes, to a 50% discount on unlimited internet, that occured over 5 years ago and they also added 10% discount on excursions at the same time. They made the change when they changed their internet offering from one that was per minute based to one that is unlimited per day.

There are still more benefits than just the minibar, including free laundry as an example. Better to check out each lines web site to see what their benefits are.

I calculate that my elite benefits on Princess saved me over $700 on my last 22 day cruise. Less benefit if one chooses to buy a drink package in their fare since internet is included in those.

I’m very well versed on Princess thank you.  Elite on Celebrity also gets you some free laundry and a discount on internet so there was no point comparing them. 

21 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

And we all know that was just the opportunity they were looking for. What a risible comment that is! But, certainly not unexpected.

• Like 2

I'm branching out next year to try two premium lines.  Solo, they're actually cheaper than aqua or suite (I don't need cabin-based perks).  I've been following Norwaylady's "live" Infinity thread and I thought the MDR menus last week were a wasteland, especially for gluten free; Blu, previous week, not so bad.  Sadly, my next three M-class cruises will probably be my last on that class (favorite size, not enough restaurants).  Rather than leave X altogether, I'm lowering my expectations = future X cruises will be/are now booked on S-class (preferably Silhouette/Reflection), basic balcony, with specialty dinners most nights (E-class is out because of the balcony thing).  I'll adjust. 😉

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

I’m very well versed on Princess thank you.  Elite on Celebrity also gets you some free laundry and a discount on internet so there was no point comparing them. 

So then you were just knowingly making things up about no other benefits.

Edited by ldtr

29 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I’m just parroting what others have said, supposedly they made this change just before the pandemic.  Someone claimed on a TA sailing they given paper drink vouchers

It is not a claim , 🙄 it start back in 2014ish 

they did give 3 drink coupons a day 

IMG_2637.jpeg.e1a20bc3adb5274bfd4e1bd5212e9493.jpeg

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, jelayne said:

The Happy Hour time has been the same for the 10years we have sailed on X.  We don’t go to the shows so that’s not anything that would turn us off, we do enjoy the variety of music in the various venues and that does change.  The menus and food offerings have been cut back and then some things added back, it is a time of flux but we have never gone hungry.

We do agree with the times the dress code isn’t enforced at dinner. I guess we are old fashioned but if we are dining at an outdoor restaurant, fast food place or a run of the mill chain then tshirts, ball caps,  shorts, tank tops are one thing.   When in a restaurant/dining room in the evening with a MaitreD, tablecloths and sommeliers I think the guests should be dressed at least as well as the wait staff. Old fashioned I know.

Totally agree.  We love dressing nice for dinner. If no dress code for guests then why not just put in picnic tables and eat off paper plates!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

It is not a claim , 🙄 it start back in 2014ish 

they did give 3 drink coupons a day 

IMG_2637.jpeg.e1a20bc3adb5274bfd4e1bd5212e9493.jpeg

Thanks; was this the norm or only on TAs? ...Some had said X had vouchers just before the pandemic on a TA

10 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Thanks; was this the norm or only on TAs? ...Some had said X had vouchers just before the pandemic on a TA

When a sailing that was inundated with hundreds of Elite (and above) passengers such as a TA and the 14 night Caribbean sailings, Celebrity handed out paper vouchers for the Elite Happy Hour drinks.  The idea was to alleviate the massive overcrowding of the Sky Lounge and allow people to get their drinks at any bar on the ship (there may have been a bar exclusion here and there). 

If I remember correctly there was a belief among some Cruise Critic members that the bartenders financially benefited with each voucher they collected in the form of calculated tips (from Celebrity and not from the passengers) and so those that believed it would turn in all of their unused vouchers to the bartenders.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Suggest OP and others looking to Exit...  try E Class...beautiful ships, lovely artwork,  good to excellent food, great theater and creative shows,etc. plus the CLUB.  So many nice venues, good music..

For us the drinks are not a big deal..we always have at least the Classic Package as a perk..  Strongly agree that the rules and dress suggestions should be adhered to and enforced!  Keep X classy not " shlumpy"

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

When a sailing that was inundated with hundreds of Elite (and above) passengers such as a TA and the 14 night Caribbean sailings, Celebrity handed out paper vouchers for the Elite Happy Hour drinks.  The idea was to alleviate the massive overcrowding of the Sky Lounge and allow people to get their drinks at any bar on the ship (there may have been a bar exclusion here and there). 

If I remember correctly there was a belief among some Cruise Critic members that the bartenders financially benefited with each voucher they collected in the form of calculated tips (from Celebrity and not from the passengers) and so those that believed it would turn in all of their unused vouchers to the bartenders.

Thanks and make sense.  In regards to tipping on drinks, currently with happy hour and at the Cafe (free coffees with elite+), 90% of the time, they take the room card over to the computer and "charge" you $0.  10% of the time, they take the room key, validate you're Elite (plus) and hand it right back to you without using the computer and I later validate no $0 charge appears on my bill..  Always wondered if they got tipped when not using the computer and their reasoning for doing so

What's then is then, not now. Whether 2014ish or 1990ish or whatever is to come in the "ish" future timeframe, the focus is now. If you can't see clearly now, then perhaps you are overdue for an overhaul. "When vision blurs at the tip of your nose, adjust your line of sight in order to see the opportunities at arm's length." 

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

13 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

We were told by staff they indeed got tip money from the coupons 

in the picture that was 6 passengers worth of coupons , we had friends who had drink package on the cruise and they gave us their coupons, 

the staff was always happy to get our un used coupons 

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Suggest OP and others looking to Exit...  try E Class...beautiful ships, lovely artwork,  good to excellent food, great theater and creative shows,etc. plus the CLUB.  So many nice venues, good music..

For us the drinks are not a big deal..we always have at least the Classic Package as a perk..  Strongly agree that the rules and dress suggestions should be adhered to and enforced!  Keep X classy not " shlumpy"

The overall experience is the same between E-Class and S/M-class but you get a more beautiful ship, much better theatrics/shows (they're still mostly musicals) and the Eden which includes the Eden Cafe

Rule enforcement is #2 most debated topic on here, tipping is #1.  Half the time, the waitstaffs asks that we give top survey marks so while the waiters have nothing to do with dress codes, I do wonder if M'Ds don't enforce it due to the survey.  I've been on 14 sailings since the restart and I see some sort of dress code violation every sailing even on Chic nights; most common offense, men in a non-collared shirt and/or shorts

3 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Because I cruise solo and spend so much time on my veranda, the deficiencies of the infinite veranda matter a lot more to me than the drinks.  To people who use the pool, it doesn't make such difference and they enjoy the extra space.  

Whereas I travel solo and LOVE the solo IV - so much better than the coffin-looking indoor things NCL passes off as actual cabins or paying double for a different type of room (not to mention if you do AI as a solo, unless you're in the solo cabin you're paying double for the AI package).

Different strokes and all that.

2 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Here’s a fun fact. If you add the Princess Plus Package to any of their refundable deposit bookings, it’s a flat $60 per person per day, regardless of your loyalty level or cabin category. If you add the Celebrity All Included package and upgrade the Basic Internet package to Premium, which would make it comparable to what you get with the Princess Internet service, it’s about $95 (or $82 for AI + $13 with the elite discount) per person per day. Then for me to get Baileys and Moscato included with my Celebrity AI package, I have to also upgrade the Classic beverage package to Premium, which is another $12 pp/day making it $107 pp/day to match what we’re getting with the $60 pp/day Princess Plus package. Sorry, Celebrity’s AI prices are getting a little crazy if you stop and do the math.

Then there is the ridiculous $100 pp/day cost difference, at least on our July 2024 12-day Apex cruise in Norway, when booking a Celebrity NRD booking versus a RD booking, while Princess bookings are all refundable unless you choose one of the cheapest guarantee cabin categories, which we never do.

Don’t get me wrong, we will still continue to book cruises with Celebrity when they have an awesome itinerary like going to the Galapagos, or a cruise to Norway when they include 2 days cruising above the Arctic Circle, or a cruise that docks in New Orleans for 3 days in 2025 during Mardi Gras. But Princess also has quite the selection of way more unique 3-5 week itineraries at much more reasonable prices. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Whereas I travel solo and LOVE the solo IV - so much better than the coffin-looking indoor things NCL passes off as actual cabins or paying double for a different type of room (not to mention if you do AI as a solo, unless you're in the solo cabin you're paying double for the AI package).

Different strokes and all that.

I have never tried the solo IV--and hadn't read much from people who have sailed on them.  Good to know.  I never do the AI--because I don't drink alcohol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TMaine said:

I mean tilapia served in the MDR as a main dish?  Yuck!  Those things grow in the most polluted waters in China! 

Also, they are farmed fish in Vietnam and China. 

We're going to be Elite soon and since we don't drink, we don't care about any free drinks.  We always cruise with the All in package and just drink soda and virgin drinks.   My issues are more about the decline in food quality, taking away albacore tuna at the buffet and replacing it with chunk light.  

17 hours ago, retird said:

Why would anyone let someone else’s attire ruin their cruise.   Times are changing in more venues than cruising.  Accept it or move on.

I don't agree with much of the OP's original post, but I wanted to respond to this point.  I can speak from my own perspective only.  I certainly don't let anyone's attire ruin my cruise.  But I also don't like traveling with people who feel entitled - that rules don't apply to them - that they paid money for their vacation so they'll do whatever they please.  IMHO there is way too much of that in this world already, and it seems to have multiplied exponentially since Covid shutdown.  And where does it end?  Is it ok to wear swimsuits to dinner?  Can I wear a see-through top (heaven forbid LOL).  How about a bikini?  Yes, extreme examples perhaps but if anything goes what's to say that won't be next?  To me it's not about the times they are a changin'.  It's about respect.

So I don't give a hoot what they actually wear, but I do care about the 'the heck with rules and the heck with how this affects other people' attitude.  When one contracts with a company to take a vacation on their ship, they are agreeing to abide by the rules of that company. If you don't like the rules that's no problem - just find a place with rules you are happy with. And the ship should enforce the rules, but at the same time just because you can get away with something does it really mean you should?  What's that quote about the meaning of integrity?

And as one last point - while I will say again that what someone wears does not ruin or make my cruise, there is such a thing as ambiance, and that it part of what I am paying for when I book a Celebrity vacation.  Ignoring the rules and dressing like you are going to a garage sale definitely impacts the ambiance of the ship.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Then for me to get Baileys and Moscato included with my Celebrity AI package, I have to also upgrade the Classic beverage package to Premium, which is another $12 pp/day

You might need to revisit those prices, even with discount you will not get it for anywhere close to $12 these days.