Father's Day

Today is National Corn on the Cob Day, King Kamehameha Day, and Cousteau Day

The art of living is more like wrestling than dancing. - Marcus Aurelius

Meal Suggestion for today - Garlic Lime Salmon
Drink of the Day - Nectarita
Wine of the Day - Te Mata Hawkes Bay Coleraine 2020
Destination of the Day - Seville, Spain Andalusia

Today in History:
1776 Continental Congress creates committee to draft a Declaration of Independence with Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Roger Sherman, and Robert R. Livingston as members

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 6-12

Koningsdam

at Sea Destination Tracy Arm Fjord/Juneau, Alaska eta 6-12

Nieuw Amsterdam

Whittier, Alaska 01:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Riga, Latvia 0900-1700

Noordam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Oosterdam

Trieste, Italy - 16:00

Rotterdam

Visby, Gotland Island, Sweden 09:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Zaandam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 16:00

Zuiderdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands

0611World.thumb.png.2b425b215925ce639ea3798f4a691580.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 14

Bit of a panic when I open the F & D but Father’s Day is June 18; in the US, it is always the third Sunday in June , not today.

A few of my favorite pictures from Seville November 2022 TA on the Oosterdam.

I loved the doorways inthe Jewish quarter.IMG_6139.thumb.jpeg.fa5ad6f0b36e18cdc7312af446136169.jpeg

The next pictures our from our tour of the Royal Palace.IMG_6141.thumb.jpeg.e6e47c1bf08437af5e24d3dbe7e416b0.jpeg

Combining Moorish, Christian and Jewish heritage.IMG_6157.thumb.jpeg.d123f2543684674bc8a09123dacf163a.jpeg

The tile!IMG_6165.thumb.jpeg.23b66b5e5971c0c63b5213ba794045fb.jpeg

The gardensIMG_6167.thumb.jpeg.0e8771a3e7f4137b3c9375091be4c312.jpeg

The city’s cathedralIMG_6144.thumb.jpeg.16f5bd666dca83e068983c0276fcfceb.jpeg

Wishing everyone the best Sunday possible.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 7

Good morning friends!  You are correct Tina.  We still have another week until we honor the Fathers out there.  But thank you Rich @richwmn for starting us out with our Daily and Fleet Report.  We are awaiting the rains this morning, temp is 65F and will rise to 83.  

Interesting quote today.  I'm sure many will indulge in some corn on the cob for our summer meal today.  A salute to King Kamehameha and Jacques Cousteau.  Another salmon dish for those who love it, the drink sounds odd, and I have no clue what type of wine that is either.  This day in history is one of the big ones!  That committee did some important work.  

Prayers for our Care list folks.  🙏  Hoping for much improvement for everyone.  Three cheers to the Celebration list people and we hope you have a fun time at your special events and cruising.🎂🥂🚢  I'm waiting until tomorrow for a certain someone's big day!  Thanks go out to Vanessa @JazzyV, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for all the reports and lists.

The port today is Seville, Spain and is a first for that one.  No links or photos to move over (for me since I haven't gone that far from Cadiz).  Bruce @aliaschief was just there on Azamara, right?  Let's try to stick with Seville photos today only.  I'm sure several of you have gone there on tours.  Looking forward to all those photos!

Have a wonderful day today and stay safe.  I'm not a fan of rain but we could use some today so I won't whine.  

• Like 26

Today’s Care list:

Cruzn single recovering from surgery

Pope Francis recovering from abdominal surgery

Smitty34877’s DH needing further surgery and chemotherapy

SusieKIslandGirl’s half-sister with possible recurrent cancer

Heartgrove’s Sue with bouts of rapid heart rate

Summer slope with a health issue

Srdamcer with stomach issues

Ktbraun’s loss of a Red Hat friend

Cruzin Terri not feeling well

Marshhawk and DH Chuck recovering from Covid after cruise

Great loss of life in India due to train crash

Wildfires with smoke traveling many miles and air quality alerts

Shooting victims 

Citizens of Ukraine, dam explosion with flooding

From the rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Summer slope’s friend with a brain injury

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Father’s Day!
Cruzn single’s surgery went well

Mr. Boston traveling to MI for niece’s high school graduation

Dfish at the lake house with siblings

Superoma’s DD DF’s house sold

Luvteaching’s DH showing continued improvement

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

ocean sounds (Symphony of the Seas to June 15), Nickelpenny (Zaandam to  June 17)and aliaschief (Azamara Journey to June 28)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A lovely morning here! Last night’s T-storms stayed North & South of me, so I finally got my plants fertilized. And some pool time. 😎

Vanessa, thank you for taking the time to capture all our happenings. 
Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, a family Zoom meeting and pool time.

BTW red wine lovers, Aldi sells a really nice red blend aged in bourbon barrels by Quarter Cut for $9.99! The same vintner offers nice Cab aged in bourbon barrels for the same price. 

IMG_1392.jpeg.9601fd586a29fb36ff6fa2571bb7b9cb.jpeg

IMG_1378.jpeg.f28e44679e9606d88da59e572706add8.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Te Mata Hawkes Bay Coleraine 2020

This wine sounds amazing. I did find an Australian distributor that ships worldwide offering it for $61.09. But I can’t even begin to guess what the shipping costs would be. I hope @erewhon has the opportunity to try some of the amazing wines we have seen here.

Cameron Douglas’ notes 97 Points

This wine lives up to its reputation with this example. Opaque at the core with deep purple hues and a ruby pink rim with ink staining tears. An excellent bouquet of pure blackberry and doris plum scents, layers of black cherry and iron sand earthy qualities. Oak layers in myriad aromas from clove to vanilla and a toasty smoke layer with a sweet lift from new barrel. A stunning wine on the palate, taut and new with firm chalky tannins, backbone of acidity, olive and garrigue with a core of fleshy dark fruit flavours soaking up the new energy from barrel. Layers of baking spice and tobacco with a warmed earth mineral quality. This is the most impressive example of Coleraine to date. Best drinking from 2026 through 2040+.

Made with: 57% cabernet sauvignon, 36% merlot and 7% cabernet franc. Outstanding

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 4

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

Nice collection of days.  Many statues of King Kamehameha can deservedly be seen in Hawaii and he is worthy of remembering.  👍 I many of us who love our oceans appreciate Cousteau.  

I’m not sure about today’s quote.  While it can seem true in tough times, it’s not in enjoyable ones.  The meal sounds tempting & the wine sound great except it’s the wrong colour 😉 

IMG_0708.jpeg.0f3790140322c9642add90af5bc4bb6f.jpeg

Seville is a fabulous city.  We truly enjoyed our time there and the wonderful sights.  It’s very easy to explore on your own.  We were very fortunate to be in Cadiz until 11 pm on the Prinsendam once so we took full advantage of it and I chartered a transfer for our roll call to take us to Seville (less than 30 euros pp R/T back then ) and we had a full day to explore & still had time to return to Cadiz for our private Flamenco show that evening.  An absolutely fabulous day!

IMG_0705.jpeg.4596c3b386c12b18fe707a57e0e6d3a9.jpeg

Nova Scotia nearly has their fires dealt with 👍 They are using infra red technology to try to find any hot spots and eliminate them 🤞 From the news, it sounds like the smoke is clearing that we sadly sent to our neighbours south of the border 👍 

Well, it took 12+ hours, but I did it.  The paperwork is done.  3 file folders nearly 5” thick of completed paperwork.  Let the chips fall where they may.  House is a mess, planting and gardening behind so, I think you can guess my agenda today 😉. I just need to figure out where to start LOL 😂 

IMG_0706.thumb.jpeg.443a34c662bcbdb6c4b9d621b3a0a447.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to those celebrating.

IMG_3741.jpeg.5250517df1709020a92b4c503d87bc2a.jpeg

Have a great Sunday everyone !!!!

• Like 28
  • Haha 11

Nectarita cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part DeKuyper® Peachtree® Schnapps Liqueur
1 part DeKuyper® Triple Sec Liqueur
3 parts Sauza® Blue Silver 100% Agave Tequila
3 parts Sour Mix

Instructions
Build over ice, stir gently, and serve.

Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 7.34.06 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 9

Good Sunday morning!   It is 45 degrees here and it is already blowing.    If we didn't have a planned visit to town today I would have started the woodstove.   Instead the propane lamps are on and warming the place up nicely.  John wants to go to our little nearby town for a pallet auction that they are going to do in the street in front of our favorite dining place.   He isn't out of bed yet so I think he took a look outside at the winds and is deciding to stay home.   He wants a wood splitter but the chances of one of them being in a pallet are slim.   We have a neighbor who will loan us his.  

@richwmn thanks for today's Daily and Fleet Reports.    An interesting quote,  lots of both in life.    Cousteau had great documentaries we liked to watch before the days of cable TV with too many options.   Pass on salmon, the cocktail and the wine but thank you @cat shepard for suggesting a substitute we all can find.    @0106 Thank you for the gorgeous photos of Seville.   

@JazzyV  thank you for keeping us informed of illnesses, challenges and celebrations.   Prayers for all on our care list and for the people of Ukraine.    @kazu Thanks for letting us know the good news that the NS fires are almost out.   

Yesterday I tried to work outside between the horse races and got a lot done but even with the winds at a steady 15 the mosquitoes were very pesky.   Have a great Sunday!   Nancy 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, Ann, and Graham.  I like all 3 of today's dates, especially  corn on the cob.    I think I've been to Seville just once, way back in 2012 on Celebrity Solstice.  Interesting quote by Aurelius.  I wonder where we would be today if we had not declared independence.  I'll pass on the salmon.  My alternative is Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho and Lamb Loin with Mint Chinchurri as served on MS Prinsendam June 11, 2015, and I would probably add a side of corn on the cob.

Our smoke has been mostly replaced by ozone, still moderate air quality in my suburb but unhealthy for seniors in Baltimore City.

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

Bit of a panic when I open the F & D but Father’s Day is June 18; in the US, it is always the third Sunday in June , not today.

A few of my favorite pictures from Seville November 2022 TA on the Oosterdam.

I loved the doorways inthe Jewish quarter.IMG_6139.thumb.jpeg.fa5ad6f0b36e18cdc7312af446136169.jpeg

The next pictures our from our tour of the Royal Palace.IMG_6141.thumb.jpeg.e6e47c1bf08437af5e24d3dbe7e416b0.jpeg

Combining Moorish, Christian and Jewish heritage.IMG_6157.thumb.jpeg.d123f2543684674bc8a09123dacf163a.jpeg

The tile!IMG_6165.thumb.jpeg.23b66b5e5971c0c63b5213ba794045fb.jpeg

The gardensIMG_6167.thumb.jpeg.0e8771a3e7f4137b3c9375091be4c312.jpeg

The city’s cathedralIMG_6144.thumb.jpeg.16f5bd666dca83e068983c0276fcfceb.jpeg

Wishing everyone the best Sunday possible.

I'm glad Nancy @ottahand7 mentioned your photos Tina or I would have missed them.  They were added after I read your post.  They are lovely photos and I'm sure a good day was had by all along with you.  Stunning!  Hoping Jacqui adds some photos too.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Sue did the excursion to Seville the first time we called on Cadiz in 2019. I 'll go through her photos and post some shortly.

Enjoy the remainder of the weekend! Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 21

Good morning. The smoke is making its way back to the area but it not as bad as last week. It will be weather similar to Sandi’s @StLouisCruisers. 85 degrees or so later on today.

We were in Seville on a Prinsendam cruise and went to the Alcazar. It had beautiful mosaic tiles and Moorish architecture. I went into the Cathedral by myself as DH had “church fatigue” by that time in the trip. The pictures Tina took are just beautiful, thank you @0106.

Cheers for King Kamehameha and Mr Cousteau. The recipe sounds interesting. We made the salmon and straw berry relish recipe again on Friday but the lime and garlic sounds tasty as well. Today we were planning burgers and shrimp on the outdoor grill. I am making potato salad by popular request as well. We will have to eat inside tonight.

I requested  and received a lot more family help this weekend. I should have spoken up sooner as the weekends are difficult without an aide for Tana. As DH always tells me “ no one is a mind reader”. …

Enjoy the day everyone 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone!

Last night we had a lovely sunset here on Golden Beach.  It was a beautiful ending to a wonderful day.

IMG_2416.thumb.jpg.b5ca50f7bca9ad08d8ecd9cddb7f38bf.jpg

A belated Happy Birthday to @Denise T

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.ff495260585a0a3d62002f8c79b93f02.jpg

It is supposed to be on the chilly side today, so we are going to Traverse City to shop.  It is way too cold for swimming or even taking the kayaks out.  

Today's meal is one I would like very much, but we are having the salmon with strawberry salsa tonight.  This first recipe is very easy and very healthy.  Just the ticket for those of us watching our carbs.  I like the lime instead of lemon.  That is a nice change of pace.https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/garlic-lime-salmon/

garliclimesalmon1.jpg.74ae85eb038f728ddcd4f7233d09b918.jpg

That is making me hungry!  The next recipe adds a touch of heat with a jalapeno pepper!  And, I liked the name of the page - The Laughing Spatula.  My spatula laughs at me when I try to flip eggs.   https://laughingspatula.com/lime-and-garlic-salmon/

garliclimesalmon2.jpg.14a7e75bfac7f00e8a11d5e8f9db08fa.jpg

Our last recipe is a sheet pan one.  You can fill in with the vegetable of your choice.  I'd probably add some broccoli or brussels sprouts.   https://foodwithfeeling.com/sheet-pan-garlic-lime-salmon/

garliclimesalmon3.thumb.jpg.3042cc66ea0e9415204b2c858711c256.jpg

@Heartgrove  I sure am glad Sue's tests came back normal.  One hurdle jumped.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

Good sunny morning. It’s supposed to get near 90 today and then rain tomorrow. 
I plan on having corn on the cob for dinner tonight. 
I was in Seville on April 9 2017, it was Palm Sunday. We got to see a little bit of the procession. It was outstanding. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

IMG_0490.jpeg

IMG_0488.jpeg

IMG_0482.jpeg

IMG_0480.jpeg

IMG_0483.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Buenos Tardes, We are just arriving in Lisbon. A beautiful day and will be headed to Fatima after we dock. We just had a BBQ lunch on pool deck served by officers. Whole roasted pig, fried chicken, spare ribs cooked on charcoal Weber grills all while the house band performed a set. Super talented musicians. Last night the band leader put on a piano performance that was equal to any guest performer. He was followed by our cruise director who is a great singer.

Our  tour to Fatima is seven hours long and seeing we’ll miss regular dining they will keep the buffet open for us. We are here for two nights before heading to Vigo, Spain.

Thanks for the reports and postings.

Bruce

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from a mostly clear and windy central Texas. It is already 72F at 7 am and the predicted high is 98F.  Yesterday, one thermometer read 98F and another 100F, and it was hot when we went to check the mail box.   We did get a heavy rain yesterday evening just after we returned from our golf cart ride.  The rain chances are less today, so when I finish here, I'll take my walk and then work on the shutters. 

There is always a chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon this time of year, but I'll take my chances today.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, when looking for my pictures of Seville, I found that while the port of the day was Cadiz (Seville) on April 6, 2022, there were some pictures from Seville posted.  Here is a link to the Daily from April 6, 2022, if anyone is interested.

Our local grocery store has corn on the cob for sale, but I don't think we'll be having any today.  King Kamehameha did a lot for his people and deserves a special  day.  Cousteau with his documentaries taught the world a lot about our oceans and how to protect them.

The Marcus Aurelius quote is true on some days.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink, but the wine sounds nice.  The first recipe looks similar to the one I've used with lemon, garlic and dill.  I like the sound of the lime instead of the lemon.

Where would those of us in the US be if the Continental Congress had not formed the committee?  I suspect we would still have declared our independence at some point.

Graham, @grapau27 thank you for the explanations of the days.

Jacqui, @kazu  that's good news that you finished the paperwork.  Enjoy the gardening as I suspect the housework will wait for a rainy day.  I'm glad the Nova Scotia fires are just about under control.

Terry, @smitty34877 that is great news that you asked for more help on the weekends, and that everyone stepped up to help.

I have enjoyed the pictures from Seville.  Thank you, @0106 Tina and @1ANGELCAT for your pictures.

351142850_2842029545931734_8261632834521941581_n.thumb.jpg.99e7623447e3139c0399671d8b5aa865.jpg

353436362_10162244473224863_6570421051905988420_n.thumb.jpg.10785b0256503d24da07905f1de2c41e.jpg

346068731_569717468482580_5757146269296754641_n.jpg.462e7803d8bfd8ecc1772e4db1837458.jpg

348661591_643304393832436_7065755528224143633_n.jpg.4c4aca7883a21ee342fa9aef10c98339.jpg

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 13

I found some pictures from Seville when we were there in 2009 on the Tahitian Princess.  That day, we took the transfer into Seville and did the Ho-Ho with time to walk around before catching the bus back to the ship.

These pictures are random pictures of Seville that are not of the main tourist attractions.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the names of many of them.   I always enjoy the different architecture of the city.

IMG_6807.thumb.JPG.764f96c7fbfd1c4de645b74e422704d8.JPG

IMG_6814.thumb.JPG.e00eee35d7f842e1835952abc3b03c66.JPG

IMG_6822.thumb.JPG.6ca55f389829a9fbcf0be8a52f5b877f.JPG

IMG_6829.thumb.JPG.1940542c49b0c36fd6dd2a2ee763e145.JPG

IMG_6912.thumb.JPG.3d9775554bac0e84e898bc237858bf57.JPG

IMG_6834.JPG

The bull ring

IMG_6831.thumb.JPG.8b70c04a7994528b123b02d7ec84551a.JPG

I'm not sure about this building, but it has the look of a train station.  Maybe someone can identify it.

IMG_6835.thumb.JPG.0cdc3b32337486fba3062a5274eda82f.JPG

Pedestrian streets

IMG_6902.thumb.JPG.012ac1a2dc1dd4b01b99ea73b46ba3f3.JPG

IMG_6905.thumb.JPG.bb1e4b3675d92bd40b7c0ba8327f7428.JPG

For the garden club and garden club auxiliary to get us in the mood for summer.

IMG_6938.thumb.JPG.5bad7222ec4cc2e14a592fa3ffb6e105.JPG

We were not the only ship in port that day.  So even though we were not on a BHB, I can include a BHB in the pictures, Rotterdam VI.

IMG_6942.thumb.JPG.4549876697371de2d0c765a032e8514a.JPG

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good Sunday morning to all.  

Thank you to Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report and to Vanessa @JazzyV for our Cares and Celebration List,  to Dixie @summer slope to keep us hydrated and to Ann @cat shepard to tell us about the lovely wine.  Lest I forget Graham @grapau27 for brining us Father David every week and educating us about the days we celebrate.

@DeniseT Sorry I missed your birthday yesterday.  Hope it was a special day.

Yesterday was an interesting day.  My cleaning lady never showed because the bridge from Savannah was closed and she couldn’t get here.  So guess who cleaned the house.  Well, I didn’t do all of it and I didn’t do it as well as she does it, but the main stuff got done.  It wasn’t on my agenda, but it’s done.  I won’t see her until I get home from our trip.  

So yesterday i wanted to get all the finances in order.  That is now today’s project.  

Than putting more clothes on the bed in the spare room that I will pack.  Got all the meds together this morning.  So that is done.  

By the way, Vanessa, you can take me off the Cares List.  I am doing better.  The flare up has subsided since I am back on the prednisone.

Interesting collection of days.  I like Corn on the Cob.  I will eat it every chance I get.  

Hats off to King Kamehameha and Jacques Cousteau.  Interesting people.

The wine sounds nice, but with the shipping would be way beyond my budget.  Maybe the drink of the day instead.

As for the food.  Yesterday I went to our local butcher who has a variety of home made frozen meals and got enough meals for the rest of our time home.   I have enough to do the next few days without having to cook as well.  So tonight we have Chicken stuffed with Spinach and Artichokes with stuffed mushrooms and potato salad.    

You know it is getting close when Delta airlines sends you a message to select your meals.  We did that last night.  

So Friday we drive to Jacksonville and then on Saturday we fly to JFK and then to London.  We are spending three days in London before heading to Southampton to embark on the Marina for 32 days. 

I am so ready for this cruise.

I am praying for all those on the Cares List.  There are many with serious issues and I remember each of you every day.  

Cheers to those celebrating/

I have been to Seville a few times.  The first was in 1982 (before digital photography) when we spent a few days there on a land trip.  We went back in 1987.   The last time was last Spring when we were on the Nautica.  While the ship docked in Seville for two days, we were still in isolation for one of those days.  The second day we managed to get ourselves to the Cathedral, but I was so exhausted.  When we got back to the ship I went to bed and stayed there until the next morning.

Seville is a beautiful city and hope I can return someday.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

Stay safe and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1