LIVE / Sky Princess / June 17th / Land of the Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice 14 Day Cruise

Jeter02

7 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

Yesterday overall was a fantastic day onboard, along with ideal perfect weather. Dinner was delectable in the MDR. I started with one of my favorites the French onion soup. I personally love the way they make it, as it more sweet in taste. For my entree I just wanted to keep things simple. When Princess sails out of the states, salmon is always on the anytime favorites as an option, but while sailing out of the UK, they switched it out as an option for Fish and Chips, which I'm no particular a fan as I don't fancy cod or halibut. Luckily for me, salmon is always available on the kids menu. The filet portion is the same as an adults, so it worked out beautiful. The salmon was spectacular as  it was seasoned with great flavor with a squeeze of lemon. I finished off dinner with what I like a sweet mess, the blueberry cobbler. Service was fantastic as always as I have one of my favorite waiters so I've known for several years already.

For me, I always love all the love music found around the ship. There was an amazing guitarist / singer who was playing the Piazza who was spectacular with his gentle and smooth voice, to point I could listen to him all day, Cristhian Cardenas. I did try to catch a little bit of the comedian Josh Daniels, as he was a bit cheeky and fun. Showtimes in the theater are at 8 & 10pm.each evening. There are a lot comedians on this particular sailing.

20230617_172711.png

20230617_172714.jpg

20230617_173751.jpg

20230617_181716.jpg

20230617_185515.jpg

The Salmon looks really good. If I was on the cruise I think that is what I would have gone with myself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phabric said:

Looking forward to more of your Cruise review.  I will be at a couple of your Norway ports.

Will you be doing Princess or private excursions or just walking around the ports?

I have an independent store that I have booked in Tromso. For the other protocols I'll probably be walking around doing my own thing as I've already pre booked some things that I know I definitely wanted to see and do.

51 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I’ve never seen a list of the buffet’s daily menu specials…great idea! 😊

IMG_6750.jpeg

Yes! This is fairly new and I started this this past year across the fleet and I love it! Not that I ever eat up in the buffet but it is fun for me to browse and window shop as I say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A very restful sea day today, was very calm waters and I would say not a sunshiny day but the sun did want to kind of peek out but still a beautiful day with very calm waters. 

The advised I do eat in the main dining room for breakfast lunch (only available on sea days) and dinner. So I start at my morning and today's special for breakfast in the MDR, eggs florentine and ordered some delicious fresh pineapple along with a side of avocado. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the menu. But the menu relatively stays the same, except for their entree and fruit that they switch out for whatever their special is for the day. 

Lunch was fantastic I had some Thai chili soup, and chicken korma, followed by a delicious fruit tart probably the best one I've had on board princess.

Tonight is the champagne waterfall celebration in the Piazza so we do have a formal night this evening. I see a lot of great additions to the menu that I typically don't see when sailing stateside. I went for a classic Caesar salad, the beef tenderloin, and the pecan chocolate caramel cheesecake. 

Tonight we have a Motown group performing called MOBO, as I'm currently waiting in the theater for the show to start in 30 minutes time which I'm extremely looking forward to. Tonight they also have a forming in the Vista Lounge is The Jim Henson Silly Show. Luckily I have seen as many times in the past pre-pandemic. It is a fun show definitely unique may not be for all but they do a fabulous job with a puppetry as it's pretty much a biography of Jim Hansen more or less so and how the puppets came about put into a musical. Boat shows are available at 8:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. for showtimes and there designated area.

For those intrigued and interested I did take pictures of the newly renovated / addition of The Catch by Rudi specialty restaurant, along with the menu. They did a lovely job and I do appreciate that they have tablecloths on the tables now, unlike Bistro Sur La Mer where they never use tablecloths. It just adds a touch of elegance.

20230618_064925.jpg

20230618_063941.jpg

20230618_104403.jpg

20230618_110158.jpg

20230618_110156.jpg

20230618_114004.jpg

20230618_120433.jpg

20230618_122420.jpg

20230618_162716.jpg

20230618_162723.jpg

20230618_164937.jpg

20230618_171344.jpg

20230618_174313.jpg

20230618_133424.jpg

20230618_133431.jpg

20230618_133435.jpg

20230617_141629.jpg

20230617_141617.jpg

20230617_141624.jpg

20230617_141654.jpg

20230617_141704.jpg

20230617_141720.jpg

• Like 6

If the Motown Singing Group, MOBO is performing on any of your upcoming cruises.... I highly recommend going to see them if you enjoy Motown Music. They were AMAZING!!!! ..... Tomorrow is our first pot of call at Bergen! 🇳🇴 Here is the Patter for tomorrow " Day 3, as well as information we received tonight and the cabin in regards to Tromso and Zeebrugge with the shuttles and taxis. 

20230618_190432.jpg

20230618_202451.jpg

20230618_202501.jpg

20230618_202627.jpg

20230618_202632.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2023 at 1:25 PM, Jeter02 said:

Today is travel day!!!! Figured I'd give it a go with a semi LIVE thread of my Sky Princess Cruise leaving this Saturday on June 17th, from Southampton. I will be doing a Land of the Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice Cruise around the Artic Circle in Norway with a stop In Belgium. I'll be flying out today from Ft. Lauderdale to London, as I'll be spending a day visiting family prior to joining the ship.

If anyone has any questions about the ship, or itinerary please don't hesitate to ask, as I'll do my best to help answer them. I will also try to update you with all the fun that's going on on the ship, as well as the port of calls. 

I'm no new stranger to Princess as I am a loyal Princess sailor, and can usually find me during any of my breaks / vacation time from my teaching schedule onboard a ship. Port Everglades is literally my backyard, so I am blessed with having that at my fingertips and not having to deal with the cost and time of flying and traveling. I do sail the Caribbean very frequently as well as Alaska and the West Coast. And have done a couple trips around Europe via ship, as well as a lot of land vacations in Europe. I Love the Royal class ship family and have been on the Sky a multitude of times, So please don't be shy to ask anything.

For anyone else who's on this sailing, please feel free to chime in and share your cruise vacation experiences along the way.

I hope you enjoy the opportunity of coming aboard this cruise with me!

Screenshot_20230615_081732_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0506aeb34d79a8774bcb4b3ecfcc22d9.jpg

Im following along your trip to the midnight sun jeter02  , I just got off sky when you embark on Saturday, we had a fantastic cruise and I hope you do too , I certainly recommend the Catch by Rudi lovely food and they even blocked off both ends so you don’t get people walking by like before.

• Like 5

I too want to thank you for posting and taking time out of your vacation. We are going on this cruise in August. You have become my morning" coffee buddy" as these are much more interesting than the tv news . Enjoy your trip.Safe travels.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

I’ve never seen a list of the buffet’s daily menu specials…great idea! 😊

IMG_6750.jpeg

I have seen a few posts with this recently, and its a great idea. I have never seen this on my ships, most recent cruises on Royal, Enchanted, Majestic,  Regal. Maybe its only certain ships, as the OP is on Sky?

58 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I have seen a few posts with this recently, and its a great idea. I have never seen this on my ships, most recent cruises on Royal, Enchanted, Majestic,  Regal. Maybe its only certain ships, as the OP is on Sky?

We got back last week from the Fire & Ice Transatlantic on the Island Princess from Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton and they had this list of the buffet daily menu specials. It was helpful in planning when we might want to eat dinner in the buffet instead of the MDR.

• Like 3

I just noticed on the Princess everyday dinner entrees that they have steak on it again, and the classic Caesar salad. I tried their revamped kale/chickpea version last year and wasn't impressed. And steak as an everyday option was gone for quite awhile, glad to see it back. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

I just noticed on the Princess everyday dinner entrees that they have steak on it again, and the classic Caesar salad. I tried their revamped kale/chickpea version last year and wasn't impressed. And steak as an everyday option was gone for quite awhile, glad to see it back. 

Yes the trick with the Caesar salad when they changed it to the kale and chickpea is you can always ask for a classic Caesar. Years ago, you used to be able to also order any time the beef tornados / beef medallions. 

2 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

So yes I am currently on the Sky Princess. But I have had the buffet menu that you see most recently as well on the Enchanted, Regal, and Discovery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jinpasco said:

I too want to thank you for posting and taking time out of your vacation. We are going on this cruise in August. You have become my morning" coffee buddy" as these are much more interesting than the tv news . Enjoy your trip.Safe travels.

Awe, I'm so glad that you are enjoying as reading that just made my day. ☺️

@Jeter02 Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I enjoy reading your reports and I appreciate all the info that you are sending us. LOVE the food pics, of course and you captured The Catch very well. Did they have those place settings set when the restaurant was closed? 

I get the impression that you haven't eaten there yet. I strongly recommend for you to do that, if you can.

I have read several of your previous LIVE reports and like your style. You have given me the confidence to try out my own solo sailing. Thank you. Keep it coming...please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Following, Thanks so much to you, and other shipmates adding to your thread.

Someone asked earlier What cabin you have?

I too was wondering, because I hadn't seen that desk setup before.  Thanks

That picture I posted earlier in the thread is in inside cabin but that was from a prior sailing I had done. This particular cruise I am sailing a balcony cabin.

20230617_132128.jpg

20230617_132220.jpg

20230617_132136.jpg

20230617_132307.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

@Jeter02 Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I enjoy reading your reports and I appreciate all the info that you are sending us. LOVE the food pics, of course and you captured The Catch very well. Did they have those place settings set when the restaurant was closed? 

I get the impression that you haven't eaten there yet. I strongly recommend for you to do that, if you can.

I have read several of your previous LIVE reports and like your style. You have given me the confidence to try out my own solo sailing. Thank you. Keep it coming...please.

No, I have not tried to catch yet. On the first day they'll have the tables all sets with a dinnerware out obviously to so that glamorous side. During the day the tables aren't cleared and then before dinner time they'll put the table cloths in the play settings out.

I love solo traveling as I always said if you wait for someone to join you you'll never go out and experience the things that you would like. The beauty of it is you're not set to anyone's schedule. You don't have to worry about entertaining anyone. You could just go about and do what makes you happy.

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 4

First port day of the cruise was absolutely incredible!!!! Warm, sunshiney day here in Bergen, around 73°F. We weren't due into port till 10am, somit was nice to know no need to rush with my daily breakfast in MDR. Cheese, spinach omelette and some fresh strawberries to start the day. 

I went ashore right after we docked at 10am, and my first line of business was to walk into town straight to the Floibanen Funicular. I highly recommend you pre purchase your tickets online at floyen.no in advance, so you don't have to worry about waiting in any ques. Lucky for me I was literally the first one there so there was no cues regardless but the beauty of having the QR code I was able to go in the express lane and I shot right onto the binocular up to the top. When I was done and when I left the funicular the cues were lined up all down and along the street.

The views on top were amazing! You can see the ship from the distance and the beautiful town up or again. There's some nice little walking / hiking trails, a great kids playground area, a shop for souvenirs, and a delicious looking ice cream shop with some other snacks as well. My favorite part was being able pet and hang around the adorable goats which they apparently have a community of them up there. 

Afterwards I headed over and walk down to the fish market which is extremely close by to the vernacular. They have lots of great seafood if you want a sample reindeer, whale, or moose they have that all readily available for you whether it's to eat right there and then for lunch or if you wanted to buy some to take with you. One of the lovely couples I've met on board had mentioned brown cheese which I've never heard of prior. The wife mentioned that it has like a caramel type taste to it which I did find at the market as well. Bergen fish market was lovely as it has the picturesque famous Bergen buildings that we all come to know and love along the water. 

I did take some public transportation and ventured out to the Ulkiren cable car, which I've always read up on that it is just even more spectacular with you from Mount Floyen in its own rights. Afterwards it was time for me to head back to the ship I was actually feeling a little bit on the warmer side funny considering I'm from Florida and it's a lot warmer back at home.

Once I got back to the ship I did lunch at Alfredo's had my delicious de Margo salad as well as a calzone. And no better way to top off my lunch with some delicious swirls with sprinkles and caramel.

Spent some relaxing time cooling off in the pool at the retreat adults only pool area. The pools are somewhat heated so it was beyond delightful, and incredibly quiet as the ship was practically empty with everyone ashore.

Dinner was a great menu. The strawberry smoothie soup is one of my favorites as it's so refreshing. I opted for the salmon and ended with an insanely delicious black forest cake.

Lots of great shows happening tonight in the ship. I'm awaiting for the guitarist/ vocalist in the Vista Lounge, Cristhian Cardenas. I immediately loved hearing his voice in the pizza the other night, so I'm thrilled he is doing a show tonight at 8 & 10 p.m. In the theater tonight at the same time is another singer by the name of Hannah Howie in "Gals and Dolls."

20230619_062444.jpg

20230619_063635.jpg

20230619_064904.jpg

20230619_103715.jpg

20230619_105602.jpg

20230619_113557.jpg

20230619_114013.jpg

20230619_115044.jpg

20230619_102346-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20230619_124552_Instagram-01.jpeg

20230619_123438.jpg

20230619_124652.jpg

20230619_130439.jpg

20230619_172706.jpg

20230619_172713.jpg

20230619_174939.jpg

20230619_180837.jpg

20230619_182334.jpg

20230619_183451.jpg

• Like 7

Oh my word those views!!! Gorgeous 😍

thank you for your detailed review of Bergen. I’m so excited for our 2 week Norway cruise but I do get anxious about new places. Your tips, your experiences and the photos are really really helpful for me. Helps me feel more confident about exploring. Thank you!

how easy was the public transport?

love the food pictures too 😋 I hope your evening is a great one. Enjoy 😊 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

That picture I posted earlier in the thread is in inside cabin but that was from a prior sailing I had done. This particular cruise I am sailing a balcony cabin.

20230617_132128.jpg

20230617_132220.jpg

20230617_132136.jpg

20230617_132307.jpg

Oh No wonder I haven't seen that Desk area before! lol

Yes, this looks familiar, were usually in Balcony or mini. Thanks

• Like 1