6/15/23: Unveiling Park19: New Top-Deck Family Activity Zone to Debut on Board Sun Princess

LACruiser88

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I have been in the mind to try out this new ship for the on-board experiences and feel, etc.  I will be more interested in the ship than ports, so a Caribbean jaunt suits me to avoid longer travel.

I don't really have an issue with this area at top of ship (the other areas already exist on Princess for youngsters, tweens, teens).  So these may be a bit bigger, but it is also a bigger ship.  From what I see and read, these new features are not near the scale and scope of RCCL.  I was wondering in reading why I saw old-fashioned shuffleboard listed and not new-fashioned pickleball listed. 

Anyway, as far as I am concerned, we can head up top and check it out and partake or not.  Don't tend to use the top aft these days for much of anything. 

I really laughed at the comment about hammock hogs.  It's going to happen - just wait for it.

9 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I really laughed at the comment about hammock hogs.  It's going to happen - just wait for it.

I know, right!  😂

I’m putting my towel on that hammock!

😝

• Haha 3

Love this! We’re a family in our 30’s with 10 year old twins. We like princess but prefer Royal because there’s more stuff to do. I think I’m more likely to go on some of this new stuff than my kids though! Haha 

• Like 3

Looks like a good new use of some upper deck areas.

To those that are opposed, I suppose I understand, but then I have to ask what is it that you'd like to see in place of it?  I don't see it taking away anything that the Royal class of ships have.  It seems it just modifies some upper deck spaces slightly.  In fact, I have to think the pickle ball crowd will be all in for some of this.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Idratherbeatsea said:

Whatever happened to “Evolution not Revolution “

Princess is evolving.  This all started with the improving of the kid's program in 2017  to Camp Discovery.  This is just the next step.  In the 1990s when I first started cruising with Princess as a third wheel to my grandparents, there was nothing for me to do.

Princess has to try to do something to improve their offerings to appeal to a younger crowd.  If they don't it will always be old folk cruising with them, and unfortunately, old folks have to deal with illness and mortality so they will not always be around as a customer.

Kodak used to be a household name.  They failed to keep up with technology and the time and their bread and butter, photographic film, failed them.

There is nothing revolutionary about this concept.  RCCL started this years ago and look how well it has paid off for them.  Their parent company has some of the highest performing cruise stocks, while CCL has some of the poorest.  Investors believe in RCCL's ability to implement innovation (RCCL carrying the weight of the RC Group).

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

What in the world is John thinking??????? This is NOT the Princess brand!!!! There is nothing wrong with the formula Princess currently has, they get their ships filled. This park idea is so BEYOND UNNECESSARY! Yes we do have multi-generational families that come on board but I wouldn't say thousands upon thousands of children. Not saying adults wouldn't enjoy the area themselves but there are cruise lines are dedicated to that. Oye Vey!

I totally agree

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

What in the world is John thinking??????? This is NOT the Princess brand!!!! There is nothing wrong with the formula Princess currently has, they get their ships filled. This park idea is so BEYOND UNNECESSARY! Yes we do have multi-generational families that come on board but I wouldn't say thousands upon thousands of children. Not saying adults wouldn't enjoy the area themselves but there are cruise lines are dedicated to that. Oye Vey!

Problem is that Princess has replaced HAL as having the oldest average demographics on any of the US main stream cruise lines.  Still primarily adult focused, but with a bit more for families and 20 somethings.  Trying to attract a bit more of the under retirement population.  Notice that the ship is primarily aimed at the 7 days caribbean routes that attract younger demographics anyway.

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

Putting rides on a Princess ship to attract customers is like putting a Chuck E. Cheese in a Ruth's Chris Steak House.

Princess brand was built over so many years. And within months, it will lose its unique characteristic.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

I could not agree more! I sail on Princess because they do not have amusement parks! We sailed on Oasis and Allure years ago before they were refitted to kiddie land. Moved to Celebrity when even the older RCI ships began having "legos" on top. We are booked on Sun but in cabana mini suite on deck 9 forward so hopefully we will be so away from this. Could be our first and last on the new ships

• Like 1

I'm going to put myself out on a limb here...since I won't book a cruise on a Royal Class Ship nor have an interest in the new Sun Class ships.

But the question was asked:   what is it that you'd like to see in place of it?

They have taken the buffet away and replaced it on a lower deck.  I am sure the "new" buffet will not have nearly the brightness, view, or open space to enjoy a meal or snack.

By taking away the Lido deck for all, the rest of the ship will seem more crowded.  Those that frequent the Lido Deck will now need to find somewhere else to crowd.  Where are they placing the four pools that are on the Grand Class Ships (again/can't comment about Royal)?

It's okay with me that Princess is doing this because it will not apply to my cruising.  But I wish they would balance this with a new smaller ship.  That would only be fair.

1 hour ago, Redwing55 said:

Looks like a good new use of some upper deck areas.

To those that are opposed, I suppose I understand, but then I have to ask what is it that you'd like to see in place of it?  I don't see it taking away anything that the Royal class of ships have.  It seems it just modifies some upper deck spaces slightly.  In fact, I have to think the pickle ball crowd will be all in for some of this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EDVM96 said:

Princess brand was built over so many years. And within months, it will lose its unique characteristic.

I think that they made more changes to the Princess brand going to a class system on the Sun, then they have adding a few family items to the top of the ship, where few people go on most ships.

The new addition to deck 19 will attract new cruisers here in Europe, and I’m sure in the States too.

If your children are interested in thrills like water slides & go karts you’ll not move over or try Princess anyway I don’t think. Deck 19 is not enough for those. My child likes that stuff but equally will have fun listening to chats about wildlife, the theatre, a regular pool, egg drops, game shows, meeting new kids in a kids club. I think you’ll get more multi generational families with the new addition, and people with kids like mine who don’t NEED the thrills & parents like us who want a quieter more relaxed time on holiday, but appreciate the extra choice. 

We’re not young. Early 40’s and taking our 10yr old. I’ve not really thought of Princess as a Holland America type cruise. Princess seem to have a lot more entertainment, better kids clubs & better enrichment. My choice to Sail Princess for the first time (sailing Norway in August on The Sky Princess) was based on that. I wouldn’t choose Holland america because although I like traditional I like modern too. Princess seems to be the middle ground to me. Maybe our Cruise on Sky will change that opinion But I do a lot of research so I don’t think so. (I’ll let you know!)

It sounds like SOME are worried about who the new crowd of people attracted to Princess will be. You won’t get an influx of rowdy kids & adults. You are not getting ice rinks, go karts, & the tallest slides at sea

and you are still getting the same type of cruise experience outside of the top decks

I don’t understand the worry that this is a massive jump towards being a RCCL experience

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

The new addition to deck 19 will attract new cruisers here in Europe, and I’m sure in the States too.

If your children are interested in thrills like water slides & go karts you’ll not move over or try Princess anyway I don’t think. Deck 19 is not enough for those. My child likes that stuff but equally will have fun listening to chats about wildlife, the theatre, a regular pool, egg drops, game shows, meeting new kids in a kids club. I think you’ll get more multi generational families with the new addition, and people with kids like mine who don’t NEED the thrills & parents like us who want a quieter more relaxed time on holiday, but appreciate the extra choice. 

We’re not young. Early 40’s and taking our 10yr old. I’ve not really thought of Princess as a Holland America type cruise. Princess seem to have a lot more entertainment, better kids clubs & better enrichment. My choice to Sail Princess for the first time (sailing Norway in August on The Sky Princess) was based on that. I wouldn’t choose Holland america because although I like traditional I like modern too. Princess seems to be the middle ground to me. Maybe our Cruise on Sky will change that opinion But I do a lot of research so I don’t think so. (I’ll let you know!)

It sounds like SOME are worried about who the new crowd of people attracted to Princess will be. You won’t get an influx of rowdy kids & adults. You are not getting ice rinks, go karts, & the tallest slides at sea

and you are still getting the same type of cruise experience outside of the top decks

I don’t understand the worry that this is a massive jump towards being a RCCL experience

Very well stated.  Enjoy your cruise in the Sky

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I'm going to put myself out on a limb here...since I won't book a cruise on a Royal Class Ship nor have an interest in the new Sun Class ships.

But the question was asked:   what is it that you'd like to see in place of it?

They have taken the buffet away and replaced it on a lower deck.  I am sure the "new" buffet will not have nearly the brightness, view, or open space to enjoy a meal or snack.

By taking away the Lido deck for all, the rest of the ship will seem more crowded.  Those that frequent the Lido Deck will now need to find somewhere else to crowd.  Where are they placing the four pools that are on the Grand Class Ships (again/can't comment about Royal)?

It's okay with me that Princess is doing this because it will not apply to my cruising.  But I wish they would balance this with a new smaller ship.  That would only be fair.

I sail mostly  Royal class now but have also sailed Grand class.  On a warm weather cruise what I want is shaded outdoor area around Lido deck or Sun Deck. If I were sailing during summer or a holiday time I would want an adult-only area like The Retreat with a pool.  Preferably not where I have to pay extra (like The Sanctuary if you can even book it) or the new restricted class areas where you have paid a premium amount for your room. 

I have not examined the deck plans closely,  but would consider giving the ship a test run if the price were right. However I suspect  all this 'stuff'  just increases the pricepoint, and I may not want to pay even more for features I do not want. I do like they have finally realized many people want a seating area in their regular (non deluxe/mini/suite) rooms, I felt Princess was behind other lines on that.  I dont fault Princess for giving this a shot. There are still many more traditional ships to choose from if this is not to someones liking. 

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, SCX22 said:

What is questionable is why the Sun Princess is starting in the Med.  Princess should take the ship on a transatlantic to the Caribbean for it's inaugural sailings and not wait until the fall.  More families cruise the Caribbean and will be able to make use of and test the new concept.

Mostly because of the amount of families who live and travel to Europe is my guess. Especially for Europeans who might like the idea of a shiny new family friendly ship that does not require a flight across the pond. It's a nice alternative to the big Royal and NCL ships and the older Carnival ships if you're looking for an American-based brand. The ship may also entice some Princess loyal families to hop across the pond for European journey. 

As for the ship itself, the amount of hate towards what looks like less than 5% of the deck space on the ship is amusing. Princess has long had a fantastic reputation for their kids clubs and being family friendly. Park 19 is a natural evolution of that and giving the kids something new and fresh to do onboard while the adults enjoy the other 95% of the ship. And the evolution of the kids/teen areas is fantastic. 

We had our very first cruise on Princess almost 20 years ago. Since then we've sailed Princess 5 times and on a total of 9 different cruise lines. We just sailed Sky Princess for the first time a few months ago and loved her. I absolutely love what Princess is doing with the Sun Princess and soon to be Star. The new Piazza, the dome, the public spaces, the theater, the dining all looks like Princess 3.0 and it's quite exciting. The addition of Park 19 is somewhat of a surprise for a Princess ship but it won't affect our decision to sail on her. It's  an area we won't use that much, but then there are areas of every ship we don't use much. 

Fortunately for the haters there are 15 other ships in the fleet that don't have a Park 19. 🙂 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

That would only be fair.

Business economics is not about 'being fair.' Ships are really expensive to build as we all know since they tout how much these ships cost. Smaller ship means higher fares to cover the lower occupancy. Oceania, Azamara, Seabourn, Viking and even Regent has quite a few smaller ships out there already. Unless Princess builds an 'explorer' type ship specifically to do longer and varied itineraries, I really don't see that happening as much as I would love to see that too. Sun Princess is 4300 passengers, Sky Princess is 3660 passengers so I really don't see them building anything smaller than 3500 passengers moving forward. A nice 2500 passenger ship would be lovely, but I just don't see it happening with their brand. 

Virgin Voyages has pretty much nailed the smaller 2700 passenger mid sized ship, though even there they probably could have been one deck smaller and been fine. If you've not tried the VV experience, it's a lot of fun. The Gamer on our first VV sailing described it as "Summer Camp for Adults" and I think that's a perfect description of what it is. And absolutely no kids or roller gliders anywhere to be seen, not even a water slide. 😅

Edited by CruisingWalter

will do a Deck 19 pass-thru day 1 or 2 and can't see us going back.  Our cruise in 2024 in when school is still in session, so hopefully the kids will be minimalized and stay in "their" places, not ours 😉

• Like 1