CAUTIONARY TALE - Checking Bags on Flights to Your Cruise

letsgogogo

On 6/16/2023 at 9:00 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

you are forced to fare check your carryon because others have abused the carryon allowances

On 6/16/2023 at 9:00 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

What airline makes you pay for a gate-checked bag carry-on if the overheads are out of room?? On all the ones I've flown they don't charge in that case - they only charge for a gate-check if someone somehow got a too large bag through TSA and it doesn't fit in the sizer or the overhead bin. If it's correct size and there is no room, no charge to gate-check.

I believe this was a typo by the OP, gate not fare.

On 6/16/2023 at 7:02 AM, wrk2cruise said:

Oh great, now everyone is going to get a red medical tag from Amazon and carry yet another oversized bag onto the plane.   No wonder there is no room for the one legal size roll aboard my wife and I share. 

I know - how rude is that?!?!  For someone using it legitimately, fine, no issue.  But trying to sneak in way more than you are allowed by working the system, not fine.  Selfish and inconsiderate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Sorry to read about your troubles.

This is one of several reasons I do not check bags.  18 years and counting as a one bag carry on traveler, including several week long land trips to middle wast and elsewhere, long and short cruises, anything else.

Check out onebag dot com

- Joel

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cl.klink said:

18 years and counting as a one bag carry on traveler, including several week long land trips to middle wast and elsewhere, long and short cruises, anything else.

Check out onebag dot com

- Joel

I think my wife and I follow overpack dot com

• Like 2
  • Haha 22

12 hours ago, cw2go said:

Just a gist...

I have a Gk Isles cruise this Aug. I will be sailing for 11 nights with 3 pre and 1 post hotel stay. I do the Wrap Method not Roll, I do follow the suggested dress attire on board but am in no way a fashionista. I have several maxi dresses that don't wrinkle and take almost no space. I re wear bottoms (Capris or shorts) As the poster above mentioned, shoes are always the tricky part and for women it's how many, for men it's how big. I get by with a daily sneaker for touring (wear them during flight) and 2 nightly sandals/flats. I use 1 regular sized carry-on and 1 boarding bag per person. My boarding bag fits the entire space under the seat in front of me. I've found that Delta Comfort is my best option for always holding onto my bags and being able to fit within the rules. 

So all in all for this trip, I'll be packing:

Carry On & Boarding Bag

5 shorts

2 kahki capris

2 jean carpis 

7 day tops

4 night tops

4 maxi dresses

1 jean jacket 

2 sundresses 

2 shoes 

Under garments 

Bathing suit

Meds & Toiletries (travel sized  refillable containers) 

Laptop & Cords 

Documents

2 Jammie T's & Slippers

Day Purse & Evening Clutch

Jewelry 

Hairdryer (If it fits) 

I'll say Europe and the Caribbean are easier than Alaska but I still manage to make it work. I don't use camera equipment, just my phone. After I do the initial packing, I'll add the "just in case" items if there is space. I fill every nook! 

Patty 

I don’t know how you get all this in a standard carry on bag and a personal (under seat) bag. There’s no way I could do this. I would ditch the hair dryer for another pair of shoes. I wear a pair of trainers, long pants, and a short sleeved top on the plane and pack amphibious sandals (similar to Keens) in my carry on. I also pack shorts, capris, tank tops, flip flops, windbreaker, raincoat, and spare underwear/socks in my carry on. I pack an iPad instead of a laptop. Power cords, eyeglasses, silk scarves, jewelry, and meds fill up most of the remaining space. That’s it. No more space.

I have tried the wrap packing method, as well the the roll method and various folding techniques. Ditto for plastic bags and packing cubes. I found the wrap method ok for keeping things less wrinkled, but no better at making more items fit the space. The wrap method is also a real PITA when one packs for a 3-4 week trip (as I usually do) with land stays before and after a cruise. I must repack everything before leaving the first hotel.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My camera equipment, except occasional less used filters and my tripod, are carry-on only. The backpack fits under the seat, and I usually bring a smaller, purse like bag that also fits under the seat. My husband has to have a laptop for work. I should be taking a laptop to backup my photos, but no one is paying me for them. We still check bags. We have had luggage delayed 3 times: Hawaii, Nuremberg, and Punta Arenas, Chile. We have gotten the bags back and only bought some clothing in Hawaii. Best bathing suit, dress, and necklace/bracelet set I have ever had. I like to dress nicely for dinner. I am fine doing laundry myself, but that's not an option on Beyond. I guess I will be sink washing my underwear, unless I buy more before the trip, because I am not sending it to the laundry to be boiled to death and shrunk. I don't get why they can't understand cold wash.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, soniam said:

My camera equipment, except occasional less used filters and my tripod, are carry-on only. The backpack fits under the seat, and I usually bring a smaller, purse like bag that also fits under the seat. My husband has to have a laptop for work. I should be taking a laptop to backup my photos, but no one is paying me for them. We still check bags.

I have a camera equipment and laptop problem, too.  A lot of my carry-on space is allocated to those precious, can't-let-them-out-of-my-sight, things.  Most people can't understand it because today's iPhone is pretty good for many situations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Silkroad said:

The wrap method is also a real PITA when one packs for a 3-4 week trip (as I usually do) with land stays before and after a cruise. I must repack everything before leaving the first hotel.

100% Agree! In this case I've created a top layer for easy grab but to be honest I don't travel very long land/cruise stays (mine are typically 12-15 nights) and when I do land trips, I always have washer & dryer access so I pack even less items. 

I'm not sure how I fit more than others, my carry on is the regulated size. I will say that when I have out of town company visit, it's become the new norm that I pack their bags for their return flight home. Its a personal service that I offer... 😂

When we land at our destination, I open up the carry on, grab top layer for us to change into summer attire. I can't count how many times I've had people comment on my bags/packing when doing so.  Winter Escapes from Ohio in Feb explains my need to find the shorts immediately at arrival. 

Like I said a quirky challenge 😜

Patty

• Like 3

22 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I know - how rude is that?!?!  For someone using it legitimately, fine, no issue.  But trying to sneak in way more than you are allowed by working the system, not fine.  Selfish and inconsiderate.

next up - dogs

• Haha 4

I've done a few land trips in Europe with carry-on only.  It's a fun challenge.  I too was skeptical when the friend I travel with made the dictate on our first trip.  We were using the train system across Switzerland and Austria, and he didn't want us trying to lug big bags between train stations and hotels.  For that first trip, I laid out everything I thought I needed and all of it would not fit!  So, I had to edit what I already thought was the bare minimum.  It worked! 

For several trips, we've just scheduled a "down" day in the middle to do laundry and not be a tourist.  It's a chance to relax.  Also pairs well with a spa day sometimes (a pedicure in the middle of a trip can be a real lifesaver if you're doing a lot of walking). For other trips, we just have a plan in advance to send out laundry for whatever service is available wherever we are. 

A few tips I've learned are to wear jeans and whatever jacket or coat you're taking on the plane.  I also try to wear outer garments at least twice before washing them.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mahdnc said:

I have a camera equipment and laptop problem, too.  A lot of my carry-on space is allocated to those precious, can't-let-them-out-of-my-sight, things.  Most people can't understand it because today's iPhone is pretty good for many situations.

Same, example next year I have a cruise out of Southampton but I'll be working from the UK a few days beforehand so will have both my DSLR and laptop. Although I do need a new camera bag so will see if I can get one that fits both then take my smallest laptop I have.

• Like 2

The first time I went carry-on to Europe, I got camera sleeves for my purse.  For my DSLR cameras, I brought two bodies, plus some lenses in my (ugly) Pacsafe crossbody handbag. I also brought extra batteries, chargers, memory cards, etc.

If you carry a purse, there are camera bags that look an awful lot like purses (I have a few), which can be used instead of a traditional camera bag.

My husband brings a lightweight computer and I bring an Ipad.

The last few European vacations I have switched to a travel camera (a canon powershot), and that made things much more lightweight. For the average person (as opposed to a professional photographer), that can be a real choice.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 7:19 AM, Dar & Bob said:

I don't know what year this was but now days I don't think a suitcase gets loaded on without the passenger on the same flight unless the airline is "catching" it up with the passenger.  We have been on a flight where a passenger didn't show up and they held the plane to take off their luggage. 

Not necessarily.  After our last cruise, we got to Newark airport at 11am.  Our fight was at 5pm.  We arrived at 8pm - our bags arrived at 5pm.  When tracking on the app, they were recorded as on an earlier flight.

36 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

Not necessarily.  After our last cruise, we got to Newark airport at 11am.  Our fight was at 5pm.  We arrived at 8pm - our bags arrived at 5pm.  When tracking on the app, they were recorded as on an earlier flight.

Yes, it's true.  The airline can choose to do this.  It's happened to me a few times as well.  I like it because my bags are often there waiting for me when I arrive.  It's different than if you don't get in a plane.  They know you are on, or in transit.  

Edited by Shiba_Lover

On 6/17/2023 at 8:19 AM, cw2go said:

Hope this video helps, it's not me! 

I also pack with the expander open then zip it tighter, like a compression system. No packing cubes for me. I also do not do the Bundle System although it's another popular option. 

Patty 

That was amazing! I'm a long-time packing cube devotee, but I might have to try this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Same, example next year I have a cruise out of Southampton but I'll be working from the UK a few days beforehand so will have both my DSLR and laptop. Although I do need a new camera bag so will see if I can get one that fits both then take my smallest laptop I have.

One awful thing is that there is no perfect camera bag.  I have different size bags depending on the amount of equipment I bring and whether I need it as a carry-on that fits under the airplane seat or as my carry-on that I am going to put in the overhead bin.  Fortunately both bags have a sleeve to put my 14 inch laptop in.

We are also divers and so that means we bring our special masks with prescription lenses built in and our camera with a custom underwater housing--things that we do not want to lose and thus we put in our carry-on.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, mahdnc said:

One awful thing is that there is no perfect camera bag.  I have different size bags depending on the amount of equipment I bring and whether I need it as a carry-on that fits under the airplane seat or as my carry-on that I am going to put in the overhead bin.  Fortunately both bags have a sleeve to put my 14 inch laptop in.

We are also divers and so that means we bring our special masks with prescription lenses built in and our camera with a custom underwater housing--things that we do not want to lose and thus we put in our carry-on.

We don't dive but snorkel. So we have our own snorkels and prescription masks for 3 of us. Luckily, we don't hassle with fins, because we can easily rent those. I haven't bothered yet with getting an underwater housing. Probably won't. It's not really my thing. We have put our masks in checked luggage. Getting them replaced once at home isn't too difficult, but it does kind of ruin any snorkeling for that trip. We usually only go a couple of times and usually on cruises.

On 6/16/2023 at 9:46 PM, xamsx said:

The key (for me) is everything must match everything else in my bag. 

We will never be a carry on couple as DH packs too much!   We cross pack everything after DH's bag didn't show up for 3 days on the ship and those were the days we foolishly flew in on embarkation day.  As XAMSX said everything must match in a particular suitcase.  Also, we travel with 3 checked bags and I divide everything in 1/3...socks, undies, t-shirts, etc. 

• Like 2

Dealing with missing luggage taught me a few things:

- staying at an apartment/AirBnB is risky if the airplane loses your luggage. Like the OP said, you are sort of trapped at the apartment waiting for the delivery. We suffered through two days like that and when it was discovered, opted to go to the airport ourselves to retrieve it. That gave us the final day to sightsee.

- Airtags are somewhat useful, but we knew where our luggage was without them. It doesn't really move most lost luggage faster when an airtag is attached. It still has to go through the system's bureaucracy.

- Careful planning and online advice on how to use only a carry-on can revolutionize your travel. No more schlepping big bags through the airport, up a few stairs, over cobblestone, or up the stairs on trains. 

- You see the beauty of carryons only when you have gone through this problem yourself. Up until this past November, when ITA lost our luggage from NYC to Rome, I thought myself immune. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

- You see the beauty of carryons only when you have gone through this problem yourself. Up until this past November, when ITA lost our luggage from NYC to Rome, I thought myself immune. 

So true! My daughter and I were on a 2-week land trip in Sicily last month and had decided to try carry-on only for the first time, and we're so glad we did. Not only was it super easy to manage our luggage as we toured the island, but on our second to last day ITA announced a strike beginning at midnight. We were booked on ITA from Catania to Rome early the next morning, so we quickly changed our flight to later in the evening to get to Rome before the strike began. The next morning, we spoke with several couples from our Sicily tour who were on our same flight to JFK. None of their checked bags made it from Catania.

Because of our positive experience with carry-on only for our 2-week Sicily trip, I've convinced DH to go carry-on only for our Apex Baltic cruise next month. 

• Like 4

It really can be amazing how differently two people experience packing. I agree with @Silkroad. @cw2go's list doesn't sound that different than mine. But in mine it weights 40 pounds and takes up a large suitcase. A friend I travel with always appears to me to pack more than I do, but hers is 20 pounds and fits in a large carry on. Not sure how the physics on that work. 

Now, I can probably fill half of your under the seat bag with medications between the daily prescriptions I take (in a weekly pill box, but you still need multiple weeks for a long trip) and every over the counter known to man. I've tried shopping for OTCs in a foreign country where you can't speak the language and its a little scary. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

Get airtags or some sort of tracking device even if you only carry on as you still may be forced to gate/bridge check it

I didn't read every post...Just pointing out, there are stories of folks still losing their carryon due to being forced to check it at the gate check or the bridge due to the aircraft's overhead space being full.  If you're booking "basic" airfare, most airlines force you to board in the last group and your odds increase of overhead bins being full and you needing to gate/bridge check it

In the traveling community, due to luggage insurance, some are routing for their baggage to be delayed/lost so they can go on a mini-shopping spree

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CGinMTL said:

Rick Steves has good travel tips about traveling lite..

Wait, doesn't he have a camera man and producer that travels with him?

• Haha 4