Is there any *good* news about Eclipse or S-class? Getting nervous reading these comments

kwagmyre

17 minutes ago, BlackLion 213 said:

What are ppl really missing?

Being handed a glass from a round tray by a smiling host when you step foot across that gangway makes one feel special...like vacation has begun on a classy vessel full of classy people getting ready to sail to sexy locales filled with golden sandy beaches and bright blue waters.  It's the icing on the cake or the cherry on top.  It says "I've arrived at long last" after months of planning, reading, researching, posting on Cruise Critic.  That headache in a glass sets Celebrity apart from the rest...it makes reading all those tipping, dress code, chair hog, bad food, cut back threads worth while...it's just S-U-B-L-I-M-E!!!

Que the needle screeching across the record album to current reality.  Some people just long for the way it used to be...that's all.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Guest 4-2-N-8
18 minutes ago, BlackLion 213 said:

I truly cannot believe that there are SO many concerned, upset, disappointed (fill-in whatever term you'd like) about the embarkation bubbly. It's cheap stuff, not even worth the bottle it is served out of. Of course, this is just my opinion...

What are ppl really missing? Go get a real drink from the bar, be it champagne or otherwise. Pay for it if you have to, god forbid!

Enjoy your cruise! If you're going to let that bother you, you're setting yourself up for disaster. I'd prefer you don't step aboard, don't do a review, and don't cruise Celebrity!

Agreed.

We reserve our specific champagnes for our dinners to ensure chilled and ready promptly. 

Sounds like there are, however, embarkation day options that are cost-free if people want. However, I personally wouldn't drink anything left out in the open and uncorked for who knows how long, but I'm part germophobe.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

To be honest if you were to believe everything you read on these board you would swear that Chicken Little was correct and the sky was falling.   I honestly believe there are many on any Social Platform that post anonymously that love to hide behind their anonymity and love attaching others as well as many of the ships. 

I have yet to sail ANY  Celebrity Ship and been disappointed in the ships, the crew and the food.   I'm not a cheerleader and do have some differences with Celebrity Loyalty program but it is nothing that would prevent me from sailing any of their ships.

Hey Jim. I totally agree. We have never been disappointed in our almost 30 sailings with Celebrity. Have we seen changes, and cutbacks, yes we have. But have they diluted the experience absolutely not. Have sailed in balcony, Aqua and suites. Service is top notch in any category. We have 6 sailings between next month and January 2025.   
Marie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Being handed a glass from a round tray by a smiling host when you step foot across that gangway makes one feel special...like vacation has begun on a classy vessel full of classy people getting ready to sail to sexy locales filled with golden sandy beaches and bright blue waters.  It's the icing on the cake or the cherry on top.  It says "I've arrived at long last" after months of planning, reading, researching, posting on Cruise Critic.  That headache in a glass sets Celebrity apart from the rest...it makes reading all those tipping, dress code, chair hog, bad food, cut back threads worth while...it's just S-U-B-L-I-M-E!!!

Very well put, truly!

21 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Que the needle screeching across the record album to current reality.  Some people just long for the way it used to be...that's all.

And I'm not disagreeing with your assessment, but I just feel that when people's expectations are let down, BY THIS, the moment they step aboard, there's really nowhere left to go but down.

Who Moved My Champagne, perhaps?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Are you on the Equinox July 2nd sailing?  We usually pregame at the martini bar or WCB before dinner.  Always enjoy meeting fellow CCers ☺️.   This is us at the sunset bar.

sunset bar.jpg

Yes I am.    This will be a guys getaway, my wife can’t get away.   There are 2 short roll calls for this sailing.   I don’t know what our boarding day procedure will be, but I love the martini bar and the sunset bar.  I’m sure we’ll meet somewhere.

Kevin

We were on Eclipse in May & it was a great Alaska trip! The funny thing was another person on the same sailing wrote a scathing post about how much they disliked it. I was honestly confused & could not believe we were experiencing the same cruise. Were there some hiccups? Yes, but it was other cruisers and not anything Eclipse related. A woman who never got over not getting French Onion soup at a meal and was rehashing it every time we saw her at a meal. Another person pitched a fit because the brand of iced tea changed & we saw them complain at every bar like it would magically appear if they groused enough. People so stuck on what they "used to get" that they can't try to find something new to enjoy, 

Believe me; you will have a great time. The staff is wonderful and while the ship is not revolutionized yet, I found it in good shape, they were cleaning & touching up constantly> Also loved all the interesting artwork! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Reviews are all personal.  I read them and ignore.  I have been on 7 cruises, since start up yes people been on more, since start up with celebrity and no complaints. Yes some of the meals I did not like, guess what ordered something else and loved it.  I worked and ran hotels, Ie golf resorts, vacation destinations hotels for many years, so I am always in that mode of guest satisfaction and watching how crew and food service does their job.  Celebrity for their price point is great.  Love the food, Ie second sideway I am a graduate of cia of use park. As said didn’t like something more a taste thing got something else. Don’t over think your vacation.  Go enjoy and celebrity and if it’s not right talk to the matre restaurant manager food and beverage dr.   They will make it right.  

Edited by bikerunner
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TeachAloha said:

We were on Eclipse in May & it was a great Alaska trip! The funny thing was another person on the same sailing wrote a scathing post about how much they disliked it. I was honestly confused & could not believe we were experiencing the same cruise. Were there some hiccups? Yes, but it was other cruisers and not anything Eclipse related. A woman who never got over not getting French Onion soup at a meal and was rehashing it every time we saw her at a meal. Another person pitched a fit because the brand of iced tea changed & we saw them complain at every bar like it would magically appear if they groused enough. People so stuck on what they "used to get" that they can't try to find something new to enjoy, 

This 💯 !!!

Edited by BlackLion 213
  • Thanks 1

We had a great time on the Eclipse in January this year and I'm sure she did not suddenly get dilapidated right after we left...

We made the World Class bar our base and never waited for service there as both of the bartenders were excellent. The Martini bar can always be a bit of a battle, but even there you will find there are times when it clears.

If you go with the intention to have a great time I'm sure that is what you will have, if you go looking for things to complain about then I imagine you will find what you are looking for...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

To be honest if you were to believe everything you read on these board you would swear that Chicken Little was correct and the sky was falling.   I honestly believe there are many on any Social Platform that post anonymously that love to hide behind their anonymity and love attaching others as well as many of the ships. 

I have yet to sail ANY  Celebrity Ship and been disappointed in the ships, the crew and the food.   I'm not a cheerleader and do have some differences with Celebrity Loyalty program but it is nothing that would prevent me from sailing any of their ships.

This! I’ve also noticed that many of the bad reviews and super complaining posts seem to be coming from people coming out of the woods so to speak. Meaning, they may participate in Roll Calls or other boards, but I’ve rarely seen them post in Celebrity threads. So they suddenly show up to rant and rave. Where were their posts about the great cruises? Where is their participation in commenting and helping other cruisers?  I take their comments with a grain of salt. No, make that a whole chunk of salt. Are their comments wrong or not validated? Not necessarily. But I’ll pay more attention when someone like you or another I recognize and know to be a more reasoned critic posts about their experiences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

This! I’ve also noticed that many of the bad reviews and super complaining posts seem to be coming from people coming out of the woods so to speak. Meaning, they may participate in Roll Calls or other boards, but I’ve rarely seen them post in Celebrity threads. So they suddenly show up to rant and rave. Where were their posts about the great cruises? Where is their participation in commenting and helping other cruisers?  I take their comments with a grain of salt. No, make that a whole chunk of salt. Are their comments wrong or not validated? Not necessarily. But I’ll pay more attention when someone like you or another I recognize and know to be a more reasoned critic posts about their experiences.

I have to agree with you.     I read all reviews and then temper them with my own experience as well as others like yours.    Do things happen that affect a cruise experience?  Yes.   

I look at reviews the same way I do on Amazon.   Regardless of how good a product is there is almost always 10-15% that rate the product with the lowest of rating.    I figure that if 75-85% of the people rate the product positive there's a good chance I will experience in the same manner. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Exactly! I noted in my recent review that I was a bit disappointed they have done away with this. It had nothing to do with the beverage itself (which of course was low quality champagne and can be obtained easily at any bar). It was all about the ritual, and picking up a glass from a tray at Bacio is just not the same. We still had a great cruise and I'm sure the next time I sail Celebrity I won't notice the lack, but it was a bit jarring to come back after a pandemic-forced hiatus to a very different initial impression.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2023 at 12:46 PM, kwagmyre said:

So we are boarding Eclipse tomorrow for an Alaskan cruise, this is something we have looked forward to for years , but I am getting apprehensive with all the bad reviews.

With all the negatives any good news to share?  Hoping to alleviate some very real anxiety I should not be feeling 24 hours before boarding a luxury cruise ship. 

Ok @kwagmyre, the cruise is over...

Looking forward to your review - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, and hopefully a whole lot of Awesome...

Let's hear it!!!

• Like 1

You should probably take everything on this site with much skepticism. There are a few folks that are always negative about everything. Usually revolves around no more unlimited lobster tail or triple cut prime rib every night. Also where’s my free drinks. They also haven’t sailed in 2 years. 

the X product is high quality. Somewhat different than a few years ago but almost every hospitality segment moves as consumer taste change. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2023 at 8:20 PM, lovetocruisee said:

Yes I am.    This will be a guys getaway, my wife can’t get away.   There are 2 short roll calls for this sailing.   I don’t know what our boarding day procedure will be, but I love the martini bar and the sunset bar.  I’m sure we’ll meet somewhere.

Kevin

We are as well.  Looks like a full sailing.  I have not been on X since 2005.  Taking the extended family on this one.    Hoping there are places to escape the masses on board.  Martini Bar used to be a favorite and I am sure we will check it out.

7 minutes ago, caviargal said:

We are as well.  Looks like a full sailing.  I have not been on X since 2005.  Taking the extended family on this one.    Hoping there are places to escape the masses on board.  Martini Bar used to be a favorite and I am sure we will check it out.

I usually go to the sunset bar for sail away.   Once in a while, at the pool on above deck 

Kevin

39 minutes ago, horseymike said:

My point is on “ Cruise Critic “ folks may tend to be critical. Nothing personal just how it is.

Just didn't know where you were going... Unfortunately, you are correct.

When things go well, most accept it as "expected" and move on, never to share that things went well. You will get the occasional positive posts, or posts about above & beyond, but few and far between.

The moment something goes awry, however, everyone wants to gripe, tell the world, and hope that everyone will feel sorry for them and stroke their delicate ego. I do appreciate those that have been on the same sailings and come along to say, "We didn't experience that..."

Makes me wonder!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I personally try to be fair and objective whether posting about good things or not so good things connected to a cruise I have been on or a booking / fare experience.

Hopefully , all the comments help other cruisers in some way.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, BlackLion 213 said:

@kwagmyre

Really kind of frustrating to have someone whine and complain about the posts here on CC, look for assurances, or otherwise, from the fine folks here, and then not even have the courtesy to return and post ANY thoughts or comments, good, bad, or indifferent...

I'm going to encourage some patience here. If his cruise left July 2 he returned July 9 which is just last Friday. Today is Wednesday. If he is still on vacation after the cruise or recently returned home there's a lot to do to re enter the real world what with laundry, mail, grocery shopping, licking your wounds etc. 

On 6/17/2023 at 10:05 PM, JintyGirl said:

For info, welcome glasses of fizz are still available from cafe Al bacio on embarkation day, served on trays from staff or sitting on the counter. 

Really? The last 3 Celebrity cruises we have been on in 2 yrs the fizz has been missing! But no drink package next cruise will check out😊🥂