Back-to-Back with Turnaround in Quebec City Allowed?

Desert Cruisers

Only if you get Princess' approval to debark cruise 1 the day you arrive in Quebec, make your own arrangements for that night, and board cruise 2 the next day. Otherwise the PVSA would consider that an illegal cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Boston on a foreign flagged ship with no distant foreign port stop.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Desert Cruisers said:

I know that there are "rules" regarding allowable back-to-back sailings.  Looking at the Emerald Princess in summer 2024.  Interested in both the Fort Lauderdale to Quebec City and Quebec City to Boston sailings.  Can these legally be booked as back-to-back?

I was not allowed to do that.  PCL would not approve it, even though I wanted to break it up in Quebec.

I would suggest you work with a TA or CVP to see if they can get it approved.

I just didn’t want to pursue it any further once they said no.

• Like 1

No. You would be embarking in Ft. Lauderdale and disembarking in Boston. Passengers are not permitted to sail between two different U.S. ports on a non US Flag vessel unless the vessel visits a distant foreign port. Canada ports are near foreign ports. 

5 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

I don't understand.

We did back to back,  NY to Quebec and returned Quebec to NY

why is Fll to Quebec and Quebec to Boston different.  Both cruises have stops in Canada ?

With your cruise, you are starting in one US port and ending in the same US port (so closed loop.

Going from One US port FLL and ending in a different one - Boston. This is the issue. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

I don't understand.

We did back to back,  NY to Quebec and returned Quebec to NY

why is Fll to Quebec and Quebec to Boston different.  Both cruises have stops in Canada ?

Read #5

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

This is SO confusing! We did a 6 back on Caribbean Princess in 2022 and overnighted on the ship. Quebec gave us a fireworks show. We were3 the first cruise ship visit after COVID.We left Quebec the following day about 5 PM. We departed FLL did a eastern Caribbean, then a western Caribbean, then repeat another eastern, went up the east coast, stopping in several towns, then to Nova Scotia, on to Greenland (icebergs in August!), then back to Canada (overnighted in Quebec, then down to NYC a second time to disembark. We were (I believe) the one of the last ships in Bar Harbor ME (tender port).

It is like trying to herd cats :)

Sorry to be "that wife" that corrects her hubby, but it was 3 days in Quebec, tip.n.ring! And after returning to NYC, we proceeded to Greenland via a couple of stops in Canada, then back to NYC where we flew home.

This is an old thread. But, it's not confusing at all. By law, a very old law, a passenger is not permitted to embark a foreign flag vessel at one U.S. port and disembark at a different U.S. port unless the ship visits a 'distant' foreign port. Distant foreign port is defined in the law. The closest distant foreign ports to North America a ports in South America and Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao.

It's difficult to follow all the ports, embarkation and disembarks in post #10. But I believe that this poster disembarked in Quebec stayed overnight and then embarked again making this portion of the trip one way from a foreign port to a U.S. port Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale. Then all the Caribbean trips were RT Ft. Lauderdale. 

11 hours ago, tip.n.ring said:

This is SO confusing! We did a 6 back on Caribbean Princess in 2022 and overnighted on the ship. Quebec gave us a fireworks show. We were3 the first cruise ship visit after COVID.We left Quebec the following day about 5 PM. We departed FLL did a eastern Caribbean, then a western Caribbean, then repeat another eastern, went up the east coast, stopping in several towns, then to Nova Scotia, on to Greenland (icebergs in August!), then back to Canada (overnighted in Quebec, then down to NYC a second time to disembark. We were (I believe) the one of the last ships in Bar Harbor ME (tender port).

It is like trying to herd cats 🙂

It isn't clear but if you started in Quebec, that's the reason your journey was OK. The PVSA only applies to journeys starting in the USA.

By continuing on to Greenland on the next segment you avoid the problem.  I realize not everyone wants or is able to spend more time/money.  And I have not checked the schedules or dates for this year.  I just know I have done that twice in the past.