Options for dining outside - Muse

drkitkat123

We will be taking our first SS cruise this summer and we really enjoy dining outside in summer if possible. Can anyone explain the different options? Which ones require reservations? We do not want to cook our own food which appears to happen at one venue.

Have not been on Muse but the options on Spirit should be similar.

There are a few outdoor tables at La Terrazza (breakfast/lunch buffet and Italian restaurant for dinner) located on the aft of the ship. Very nice but very popular in fine weather.

The Grill is somewhat outdoors. Lunch food w/ burgers, hot dogs, other choices. Dinner is called "Hot Rocks" and yes most of us are OK with cooking our own main course but rumor has it that they will cook it for you if you ask (have never tried it). You theoretically need reservations for dinner at Hot Rocks but they will probably accommodate you as a walk-in if there is room. My experience on Cloud/Wind is that the grill is outdoors with a bit of shelter, but on Spirit it was fairly enclosed so not totally an "outdoor" experience.

Spaccanapoli (pizza place) is on-deck and open for lunch and dinner. I guess you could make a dinner reservation there if you want to.

Am I forgetting something?

5 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Have not been on Muse but the options on Spirit should be similar.

There are a few outdoor tables at La Terrazza (breakfast/lunch buffet and Italian restaurant for dinner) located on the aft of the ship. Very nice but very popular in fine weather.

thanks - does one need reservations for La Terrazza and can one reserve an outdoor table?

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Am I forgetting something?

The occasional dinner on your own veranda, if the size and furnishings are suitable.  Rumor has it that it's served by course as well.  We definitely plan to try it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

There are plenty of outdoor tables at la Terraza on the Muse. It is quite weather dependant obviously but on a fine evening it is a superb venue. 

and can one specifically reserve an outside table?

I agree, I have eaten at Hot Rocks before and they cooked my meal. No need for anyone to cook anything if that is how they prefer it.

50 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I agree, I have eaten at Hot Rocks before and they cooked my meal. No need for anyone to cook anything if that is how they prefer it.

This is changing. Grill is now encouraging pax to cook their own rather than having the chef do it. I was told this on my last cruise, two weeks ago. 

21 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

This is changing. Grill is now encouraging pax to cook their own rather than having the chef do it. I was told this on my last cruise, two weeks ago. 

Encouraging or forcing? If you ask the chef to cook, they will refuse?

33 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Encouraging or forcing? If you ask the chef to cook, they will refuse?

Good question. I wonder this as well.

Just now, canderson said:

Wasn't it COVID that had all the meals there Chef prepared?  Remember reading that somewhere here.  They may just be going back to 2019- protocols.  Was self-cook optional pre-COVID?

Yes. You could cook your own or they would cook for you. 

7 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

just a weird follow-up: when they do cook it for you, do they cook it in a kitchen/galley somewhere and the cooked food appears before you, or do they cook it on a hot-rock in front of you?

In the kitchen.

9 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

My cruise finished a couple of weeks before yours (Whisper) and there was no special encouragement to cook your own. In fact, both options were always offered, and my unscientific observation would be that a little more than 50% opted for the chef. Off topic, but I think that the concept has passed its use-by date and needs to be reviewed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

My cruise finished a couple of weeks before yours (Whisper) and there was no special encouragement to cook your own. In fact, both options were always offered, and my unscientific observation would be that a little more than 50% opted for the chef. Off topic, but I think that the concept has passed its use-by date and needs to be reviewed.

I'm confused by your last sentence. Do you think the post should be retired? Or the Hot Rocks concept?

The hot rocks concept.

On 5/23/2023 at 12:29 AM, carefreecruise said:

Just walked over to the cruise consultants desk aboard a Silversea ship and he said no problem using AMX card to book onboad future cruises. Even ones new World Cruises.