"Live" Emerald Princess, 16-Day Hawaii, July 6th to July 22nd

LACruiser88

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

The Captain just announced that the ship currently has over 700 cases of gastrointestinal infection and that they have increased their sanitary precautions.   😬

Oh no! I'm getting on the ship on Saturday! No pizza on the first day and hopefully we won't get the gastrointestinal infection! Stay healthy!

• Like 1

Disposable poly gloves are available at Walmart for a penny apiece. I bought two pkgs yesterday to share with my group for our Sept. cruise, and plan to use them at the buffet, etc. Handling shared serving utensils is gross! (They are located by the Ziploc bags.)

Great Value Disposable Poly Food Gloves, 120-Count, Latex-Free, One Size Fits Most - Walmart.com

I'm kind of surprised cruise lines don't offer them to cut down on Noroviruses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pkay1 said:

Oh no! I'm getting on the ship on Saturday! No pizza on the first day and hopefully we won't get the gastrointestinal infection! Stay healthy!

It would really help if people like stop coughing on the food at the buffet line. I can’t tell you how many times I watched inconsiderate asshats do this!! Is disgusting and piggish 

• Like 4

Tonight our daughter and son-in-law had dinner at the Crown Grill.  Our granddaughter had an early dinner at the buffer and then we took her to the Kid's Club.

We had dinner at The Salty Dog Gastropub.  Everything was very good for the exception of the calamari, which was very salty.

Being pescatarians for over 35 years we really enjoyed the plant-based burger.

20230718_190934.thumb.jpg.782e209be19964d3d376fb793c3110f0.jpg

20230718_191147.thumb.jpg.6f54f082df6a3f53be37b53aae41c219.jpg

20230718_191203.thumb.jpg.8f0eb7f66f0fdac40bae470ba169a72a.jpg

20230718_191207.thumb.jpg.fe41554bb4c1e214bf25553172cd55e5.jpg

Bread Sticks and beer-cheddar fondue.

20230718_192332.thumb.jpg.9fa6f58534f9a1b1351879b3cea5d2a4.jpg

Wild Mushroom Saute'

20230718_193121.thumb.jpg.2be8f5a6fd244b3c2f354ad263a1d8ac.jpg

Calamari Frites

20230718_193127.thumb.jpg.5177b9e79a3757ba2a81d17233b7e0bc.jpg

Beyond Meat Burger and Truffle Fries

20230718_194335.thumb.jpg.1f8c0b25cf5c6ae5a1314307b1a3626f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mikjr said:

The WHITE FLOUR CAPER has just hit the PIZZA joint!!  They are making their pizza with BROWN FLOUR!! 

Can’t wait for the Brown Flour Peanut Butter cookies!!

Is brown flour whole wheat flour? Is it healthier 

On 7/16/2023 at 3:27 PM, LACruiser88 said:

We have another quarantine cabin, this one is 3 doors down from our cabin.  They have their breakfast order on their door.  🥺

20230715_202424.thumb.jpg.1c64abf9399e9417cc1668feccd17348.jpg

Is the foot rest the signal for a quarantine cabin? If so, I’ll start looking for them on the Diamond.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Is the foot rest the signal for a quarantine cabin? If so, I’ll start looking for them on the Diamond.

Yes, they use sometimes a pool side table, a little white table or a footstool.  Sometimes it takes several days before they get one to the person in quarantine. Hence, the variance in how many days it appears there.  

Could be covid or noro.  Sometimes, we saw dishes outside the door several days before the table arrived.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Tonight our daughter and son-in-law had dinner at the Crown Grill.  Our granddaughter had an early dinner at the buffer and then we took her to the Kid's Club.

We had dinner at The Salty Dog Gastropub.  Everything was very good for the exception of the calamari, which was very salty.

Being pescatarians for over 35 years we really enjoyed the plant-based burger.

I am so happy to see al a carte pricing at the Salty Dog now.  It was just too much food otherwise.   They always wondered why we didn’t order any dessert.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jameslee said:

For princess cruise is there a way to view the dinner menu in advance like carnival or only day off?

We have noticed they are getting better about posting the menus ahead of time on the app.  There might be another way to see this but we look under the dinner reservation we’ve made on the app and then go to view menu.  It shows breakfast (lunch if on a sea day) and the dinner menu.  

12 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

The Captain just announced that the ship currently has over 700 cases of gastrointestinal infection and that they have increased their sanitary precautions.   😬

Wow that is a huge number.  According to the CDC, this has to be reported to the Vessel Sanitation Program when more than 3% onboard have gastrointestinal infection when in US waters or within 15 days of arriving to US or when flatly just more than 2% onboard are affected. 

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

To put that in perspective the last outbreak on the Emerald  was 3/17 though 4/1 and only 99 passengers onboard had it (4.66%) and 21 crew members 1.76%.  

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2023/Emerald-Princess_3-31.html

I'll be sailing on the Emerald in a few weeks but I am sure they will thoroughly clean the vessels before the next cruise.

Having done some research, hand sanitizers DO NOT kill Noro.  Thoroughly washing your hands will.  So, be careful if you are worried; rewash your hands after using the utensils in the buffet.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jameslee said:

For princess cruise is there a way to view the dinner menu in advance like carnival or only day of?

On the medallion net you can see todays menus also on your TV

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I am so happy to see al a carte pricing at the Salty Dog now.  It was just too much food otherwise.   They always wondered why we didn’t order any dessert.  

The Emerald is the only ship I have seen al a carte pricing at the Salty Dog.  I think this is an experiment to see if it gets more customers as that venue has usually been sparsely attended on most ships I have been on since the restart. Heck mostly empty prior to the restart 

4 minutes ago, memoak said:

The Emerald is the only ship I have seen al a carte pricing at the Salty Dog.  I think this is an experiment to see if it gets more customers as that venue has usually been sparsely attended on most ships I have been on since the restart. Heck mostly empty prior to the restart 

I’ve noticed the lack of crowds, as well.  That’s one reason I’ve loved it so much.  
plus, I like the small plates but just one of them, never two, plus and appetizer and dessert.  
The chicken sandwich in there is oh so good … but again, it’s almost too much food.  If I could split it with a friend, all the better.  That way I could try one of the other small plates.  

I’ve also seen that at least on one of their ships, they’ve replaced the Slaty Dog Grill with OMalleys Irish pub.  They seem to also have small plates al a carte in that venue as well.  $18 isn’t going to break the bank by any means but if you only want one small plate, $6 is a much better incentive to go get a meal with relatively bo wait.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I’ve noticed the lack of crowds, as well.  That’s one reason I’ve loved it so much.  
plus, I like the small plates but just one of them, never two, plus and appetizer and dessert.  
The chicken sandwich in there is oh so good … but again, it’s almost too much food.  If I could split it with a friend, all the better.  That way I could try one of the other small plates.  

I’ve also seen that at least on one of their ships, they’ve replaced the Slaty Dog Grill with OMalleys Irish pub.  They seem to also have small plates al a carte in that venue as well.  $18 isn’t going to break the bank by any means but if you only want one small plate, $6 is a much better incentive to go get a meal with relatively bo wait.  

Our last few times there the food took forever to come out and was not very good food and lousy service

15 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

we were sitting in the dining room last night when the announcement  was made and I asked our table mates… did he say 700?   They said, no he said SEVERAL cases.   But you did hear 700??   I couldn’t tell… his accent is strong

Edited by mikjr